Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drewhunz

The Gun Thread

Well, anybody considering getting a an M-1 through the CMP may want to get off the fence and snag one....

Question for you guys running suppressors- Can/would a .30 cal can work on a 5.56 rifle ? I'm assuming there would be at least a minimal drop in performance, but am curious if it would run ok. If I get one It would likely only be one, so I would want to be able to use it on as many hosts as possible.

You can definitely run a 30cal suppressor on a 5.56. You may lose some velocity and accuracy. How much? Tough to say since multiple other variables factor in.

Edit: Was posting from my phone last night and also forgot to add something. If running the .30 cal suppressor on a 5.56 you may also lose some of the flash/noise suppressing quality. I can't really say exactly how much due to so many other factors, but just a heads up on what you will probably experience. But, as far as the actual firing of the 5.56 you will have no issue.

Does the CMP have any more carbines? I heard they were going to get more.

Not at the moment. They have also limited grades of M-1 rifles, and no longer accepting backorders on several grades/makes . Looks like this EO will effect a massive load of these rifles that were to come back from Korea. I would think they will still be available at retail, but I suspect the price will spike.

I've had a Windham Weaponry AR for a while now, but haven't been able to find any decently priced ammo for it yet. Troy Quad rails, EoTech 512, and will upgrade furniture to Magpul CTR stock and MOE pistol grip soon.

Loving this site. Hockey and Firearms!!! Heck Ya!!

I currently carry XD 9mm sub-compact as my everyday. I have been looking into moving to a .45 just not sure if I want to stay with Springfield and go with the XDs or let my co-workers convince me to the 1911 route. Of course I would be looking at a compact 1911 just not sure if I want to go with the extra weight or not..

Now I just need to finish off my AR build and go from there.. Just the basic replacements (hand guards, pistol grip, butt stock). Right now I'm torn on what sights I should go for. I'm mainly using it for Hog Hunting and occasional plinking at the range. I was looking at a red-dot with a 3x or 4x flip up magnifier. Nikon has the P-223 scope that look nice for hunting. Now sure yet what route to go.... currently have the Magpul BUS flip up iron sights for now.

If you really like the Springfield, stick with it. No sense in training yourself on the ergonomics of completely different pistols.

I have a M&P40. Trying to convince myself I need the M&P Shield compact. :)

You know if you have spare AR parts lying around (hand guards, pistol grip, butt stock), it will force you to assemble the missing parts and build another AR.

I know a guy who built an AR because he had a spare pistol grip. Serious. Dangerous bidness.

I built an AR because I had an extra barrel.

Skip the furniture on your AR and just build another one to start with. :) If you haven't built one, try it.

Entered the world of the "black gun"...I have had handguns and shotguns for close to 30 years...Bought a Sig sauer AR-15 M400 swat rifle...the money is flying out of my pocket....lol

Now you need to build one. They are like adult LEGOs.

I ordered a pair of 18" uppers (5.56 and 300blk) on a screamin' Black Friday sale; they're backordered, and I'm waiting for them to come in.

How screamin'? 40% off on a $399 list price, including charging handle and bolt carrier group!!

Time to buy .300 Blackout dies and turn some of my huge pile of 5.56 brass into .300blk!

I currently have a 14.5" 5.56 upper on a carbine lower, and a Stag varminter (24" bull barrel on an A2 lower). I'm hoping the new uppers will cycle without being undergassed or overgassed on one of the existing lowers while I source parts for a pair of new lowers.

Oh I ve got "brd" I was looking at complete lowers for $129...obviously not the best of the best...but looking at them for a cheap build for my 1st...and at that price..can't hurt to have a couple laying around

Oh I ve got "brd" I was looking at complete lowers for $129...obviously not the best of the best...but looking at them for a cheap build for my 1st...and at that price..can't hurt to have a couple laying around

With ya there just ordered a lower and lpk to start a build.

I was thinking build my 1st one...but i got a real good deal on the sig. Gander mtn had "used" on their site for less than $800 with troy battle sights..had it shipped to the store to look at it....we broke it down and cant be sure but it doesnt look like it was ever fired. It was originally purchased by the North Dakota Highway Patrol.

These are the "salad days" for AR's. I've never seen them so plentiful and affordable (well, outside of CT anyway). Stripped lowers can be had for under $50. Sub $500 builds are possible with halfway decent components... Now is the time to buy cheap and stack deep.

wanted a bipod....wanted to try the grip...combo of both...and got a good deal on it...its the all metal design...a bit heavy..just something to goof around with to see if I like it

Is your fore end free float? If not you may want to move the sight base back onto the receiver flat top. Drop in hand guards tend to have some play when stressed that can affect your accuracy. What distance are you shooting at mostly? I have an EOTech and find that it's perfect for the 100 yards or so that I normally shoot at. I've used both a 1-6x optic and the EO in matches and found just the dot to be fastest. I've toyed with the idea of a magnifier, but don't do much shooting at distance to justify it. I'd take a few trips to the range before I made any significant changes.

Thanks...I've been messing around with placement of the sight(bad eyes..lol) Moving it around some..Want to keep it forward as much as possible to keep the possibilities of a magnifier open with as little adjustment as possible. Using the iron sights is almost impossible for me...I can see the targets downrange perfectly....not seeing the sights very well.

Since this is my 1st rifle...I have some work to do at the range to see what works for me and what doesnt...Been doing alot of reading to see what others are doing so im not flying blind..

The range where Ive been shooting only goes to 100 yrds, so a magnifier isnt needed there...but want to get one just to mess around with when i can get somewhere to make some longer shots.

Went to the range today with the new AR...Got the iron sights close....but actually seems like I need someone with better eyes to get them closer. I cant see the far sight very well.

Co-witnessed the red dot with the iron sights..Then adjusted with 3 shot groups at 50 yards to zero it in...I was pretty happy with the results...took 30 shots...inside the 8 inch ring with all 30 at 100 yrds. Im thinking I need a magnifier to get it better

What aperture were you using (large or small)? If large, try the small one. Lighting conditions can also affect your ability to see the front post. You could try putting some white out on the post to help with visibility. Where you using a sandbag rest/bipod? When shooting for groups you want the rifle as stable and consistent as possible.

Small aperture ....problem is the forward sight is blurry with my bad eyes..If I look through my reader/cheater safety glasses, I see the sights perfect but cant see the target well enough to do anything but hit it, but I'll try the white out...might help..

.Used a lead sled for zeroing the sights and then shot 30rds at 50 yrds off my forward grip/bi-pod..was not disappointed with the results..Will get better with practice.

Then shot 30 more at 100yrds and was pretty happy to put all 30 in the 8 inch ring with the last few getting closer to the center.

As a side note..shot about 30rds with my brothers Sig.45 from about 15 yrds....I did remarkably well for not having shot a handgun in over 10 yrs when my eyes were still perfect.

Funny thing...got all our equipment out..set up the sled got my gun setup....Put 3 rds in the mag...loaded the chamber....aim....then click....nothing...Eject the round...load another....click...Took my brothers bcg out of his Colt..loaded a round...BOOM...Sighted the rifle in with his bcg in mine ...Then put his back in his Colt and I proceded to take my bcg apart(1st time Ive ever done something like that).Cleaned it, re-oiled it and the rifle worked flawlessly the rest of the way

Keep in mind the point of impact at 50 yards will be different at 100 yards using the same point of aim. If you are dead center at 50 yards , you'll be about 1 1/2" high at 100 yrds.

Yeah...I did some research to find the most versatile setup...my brother was zeroed at 100yrds...I chose 50 because it seems to the best inside 250yrds..Which I dont plan on shooting anything outside that range ..at least for now. Without a magnifier there is really no way for me to be able to see the 11/2 difference at 100 anyway. My red dot covers the whole target at that distance...I was shooting with about 1/2 the circle showing...so about 2 inches low and was getting pretty good results

Funny thing...got all our equipment out..set up the sled got my gun setup....Put 3 rds in the mag...loaded the chamber....aim....then click....nothing...Eject the round...load another....click...Took my brothers bcg out of his Colt..loaded a round...BOOM...Sighted the rifle in with his bcg in mine ...Then put his back in his Colt and I proceded to take my bcg apart(1st time Ive ever done something like that).Cleaned it, re-oiled it and the rifle worked flawlessly the rest of the way

Was your BCG just super dry? With the firing pin being polished, I can't see it being so dry that it wouldn't fire.

You can run the BCG fairly wet with lube.