Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drewhunz

The Gun Thread

Actually it seemed like excess factory grease and with it being cold out it was limiting the movement...after cleaning it and putting a little oil on it it worked flawlessly

Some machined parts are even shipped with a more-wax-than-grease coating.

Hit them liberally with brake cleaner and get that stuff off.

Like cosmoline on an old Mosin Nagant.

Glad to hear it runs great now!

Well...after a few weeks with the new AR...I've decided to build one from scratch... I'm in the process of researching what I want...will probably be at least a month of researching before I start ordering. I'm not looking for the best of the best...but I want a weapon that is higher quality than my SIG( not that I think its not a quality weapon)...More than anything I want to challenge myself and have the satisfaction of building one and have it perform well

I'm starting an "economy build".... Hardened arms complete upper( not comfortable putting it together yet)....Anderson stripped lower and a areo precision tube so far...still researching triggers and lower parts.,the lower will be a bit more expensive... Then eventually I'll get a higher end upper....might buy a complete lower so I can shoot this thing while I'm building the lower...then when I Finish the high doller upper eventually I'll have 3 AR's....lol

Psa had complete lowers for around 130 but they take forever to ship

thanks..Yeah...got some ammo from them,15 days to ship. Surplus ammo sent my lower in about 4-5 days...ordered the buffer tubes from aero 2 days ago and havnt gotten shiping confirmation yet

.the cheapies from PSA are hard to find in stock , got to catch them at the right time....They had them when I wasnt looking for them ...go figure lol......

.I found an Anderson am-15 from surplus ammo that cost me $151 shipped....got my brother one(we are both building ) I'm still looking at piecing together a high quality upper and finshing the stripped lower but building the upper is a little more daunting for me...But with the Hardened arms upper with the anderson lower should be a fun gun to plink around with to learn the platform a little better.

I'm starting an "economy build".... Hardened arms complete upper( not comfortable putting it together yet)....Anderson stripped lower and a areo precision tube so far...still researching triggers and lower parts.,the lower will be a bit more expensive... Then eventually I'll get a higher end upper....might buy a complete lower so I can shoot this thing while I'm building the lower...then when I Finish the high doller upper eventually I'll have 3 AR's....lol

Try the $0.50 trigger mod. You need to buy a $0.50 allen set screw and maybe a tap if the handle threads aren't through-tapped.

You then carefully file down the back of the disconnector where it touches the selector.

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/firearms/ar-15/ar08.html

This reduces creep and overtravel. It makes the trigger VERY crisp.

http://www.hausofguns.com/2014/01/10/how-to-improve-a-standard-ar15-trigger/

This reduces the grittiness, and the spring mod will reduce the weight of pull accordingly.

DO NOT change the sear angle or file down the sear--only polish it!

Try the $0.50 trigger mod. You need to buy a $0.50 allen set screw and maybe a tap if the handle threads aren't through-tapped.

You then carefully file down the back of the disconnector where it touches the selector.

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/firearms/ar-15/ar08.html

This reduces creep and overtravel. It makes the trigger VERY crisp.

http://www.hausofguns.com/2014/01/10/how-to-improve-a-standard-ar15-trigger/

This reduces the grittiness, and the spring mod will reduce the weight of pull accordingly.

DO NOT change the sear angle or file down the sear--only polish it!

interesting reading...thanks

And if you don't like it, you're only out $0.50 and you can still get a Giesselle.

You also gain knowledge!

I wish the M&P pistol trigger mod were as easy!!

Just a heads up for anyone in the market for an AR- Walmart is discontinuing sales of evil black rifles , with Colts going for at or below $500.

Just a heads up for anyone in the market for an AR- Walmart is discontinuing sales of evil black rifles , with Colts going for at or below $500.

Wow, sounds like some good deals to be had

Now is the time to buy. The next panic is going to begin in the next few months with the election cycle heating up. AR mags are cheap, stripped AR lower receivers are $40 , Great time to get into shooting. Heck, even .22 is slowly making a comeback.

I'm really interested in the CMP getting all of the old 1911s that have been in a warehouse. I need to get one of those.

I want a 1911 as well. As a 4-H shooting sports instructor, I qualify for CMP purchases, too!

I bought some $40 Anderson lowers. Need to find some blem or markdown LPKs

Now is the time to buy. The next panic is going to begin in the next few months with the election cycle heating up. AR mags are cheap, stripped AR lower receivers are $40 , Great time to get into shooting. Heck, even .22 is slowly making a comeback.

X2 definitely time to grab one. I was going to pick one up but ended up getting a deal on a sks

Magpul is discontinuing foliage green colored product, and has marked them down accordingly on their website if anyone needs cheap furniture or mags (or phone cases lol).

Picked up a S&W Shield in .40. Very pleasantly surprised by  the accuracy. Put a hundred rounds of Winchester White box through it without any issue.  Perfect size and weight for carry, while still being comfortable to shoot .  Applied some Talon grips as  it was a little slick.  Anybody else have one? curios how much of an upgrade the Apex kits actually are.    

On 4/3/2016 at 9:57 PM, Monty22 said:

Picked up a S&W Shield in .40. Very pleasantly surprised by  the accuracy. Put a hundred rounds of Winchester White box through it without any issue.  Perfect size and weight for carry, while still being comfortable to shoot .  Applied some Talon grips as  it was a little slick.  Anybody else have one? curios how much of an upgrade the Apex kits actually are.    

Did you end up picking an apex trigger kit up? I picked up a Shield in 9mm over the summer to have something slimmer and lighter than my Sig, and I love it! The only thing I'm not super crazy about is the trigger - I know I'm not going to get close to that sweet SA Sig trigger on my 228, but I'm curious if the apex kits help get rid of some of the grittiness in the Shield trigger.

Not yet, haven't had a chance to put enough rounds through it to decide.  I shot a "MA compliant"  M&P 9 , felt like it had about a 20 lb trigger pull with the longest takeup I've ever felt, to the point of being almost impossible to shoot with any reasonable accuracy.  Gotta love nanny state laws to make things safer that have the opposite effect.