Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drewhunz

The Gun Thread

I've been rocking my little CZ Rami .40 for a couple years now. The 1911 has been delegated as a truck gun.

I say get whatever is comfortable. I mainly only shoot machine guns, so something with nice familiarity and comfort makes a world of difference for me.

^^^

I spent an afternoon a couple of months ago shooting an M-4 with a fun switch. I would go broke in hurry shooting FA all the time. I am kicking around the idea of a can for my AR.....

Edit- maybe not- looks like I'd need a pre ban lower.

^^^

I spent an afternoon a couple of months ago shooting an M-4 with a fun switch. I would go broke in hurry shooting FA all the time. I am kicking around the idea of a can for my AR.....

Edit- maybe not- looks like I'd need a pre ban lower.

I only get to shoot twice a year and machine guns and other NFA stuff make me smile. So it's all I really do when I shoot now.

Here's some pics from a New Years shoot. The M60 on the tripod and the MG42 are mine. One M79 grenade launcher on the table is mine. The rest of the guns are a friends. Im hoping my MP40 comes threw in the next couple of months, then next I plan on an MP5 with a can. I will say, My P22 with suppressor is probably by far the most fun toy I have.

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

A family shot of some friends guns and mine:

Gats.jpg

Guess they do do everything bigger in Texas. Nice set up. I always see the SARCO ads in the Shotgun News and wonder who is buying the MG tripods and vehicle mounts and such. Apparetly it's you. Are the M-79's 40mm? What kind of rounds are avaible for something like that beside flares? Alos, is that an M-14 on a bipod between the two 60's?

M79s are 40mm registered Destructive Devices. You can get pretty much any and all ammo for them except explosive HE rounds, or any explosive round for that matter.

That is an M14 on a bipod. It's setup in M14e2 configuration. The e2 was designed to give the shooter more control of the gun in full auto.

McDonald vs. Chicago was argued in the Supreme Court today. It deals with the incorporation of the 2nd Amendment. It went very well for the pro-2A side.

Recoil spring in my 229 took a dump. It's a multi-strand design and the core came free and bound up the guide rod. New spring is $6, so I'm not too pissed.

I was able to get the range to myself today and put 75 rounds down range before she quit. 10 yards, 60-something shots to the chest. Took a wild shot and chased the last 11 down low as fast as I could follow the sights. A lot better than I've been doing, but nothing that will win me any awards. As much as I love the feel of shooting my 229 the two of use just haven't been able to get along well enough to shoot as good as I can with some other guns.

Here's the target with all 75 rounds in it, ignore the pasters as it was a used target.

IMG_0448.jpg

Finally got my new (to me) gun today after a few weeks of waiting. Sig P226 .40S&W two-tone. Came with digital desert camo grips, those came off immediately for Hogue rubber. Two 12-round and three 13-round round magazines, all set to run it in competition this Sunday. Trigger feels a bit gritty with the new springs in it, but the DA pull doesn't stack and breaks cleaner than my 229. I'm excited.

I need to get a full stainless guide rod to replace the hollow carbon steel one, and will probably get torx-head grip screws whenever I make another order at a gun site.

IMG_0452.jpg

Well i definitely want an AR15. i plan on buying one here in about the next 3 months. Problem is i've been shooting a friends .22 rifle and love how cheap and easy it is to shoot. So ive been coming across the S&W m&p 15-22 that shoots .22lr like $440. very affordable, love the look, but shoots only .22's. Also looked at a DPMS panther 5.56 (nato) milspec the shop has for about $940 on sale. I can put layaway on it to keep sale price, but its still gonna be about 2 months until i can pay it off. Love the looks, love the power, not thrilled by the price and ammo cost.

I havent decided on anythng other than i want an AR body, and plan on getting an Ar15 sometime this year, whether i get the .22 now, or the 5.56 (or.223).

Anyone have an ar, or any insights as im not stuck on a particular brand or anything, just looking to have fun at a range...

Race^ I would stay away from the S&W .22- it's overpriced for what it is. There is no reason you can't build you own AR lower, buy a 5.56 upper and be in the game for around $700 using all upper teir parts. $900+ is high for a DMPS. If you wanted to, you could forgo the 5.56 bolt/carrier and for $160 pick up a CMMG .22 conversion bolt. When you have the cash then pick up he 5.556 bolt. buying the .22 M&P locks you in to just shooting .22. The beauty of the AR platform is how interchangable it is. You could build an upper to shoot 9mm which is relativly inexpensive as well. Check out www.AR15.com- it like here only for black rifles. Check out the build it yourself forum. Brownells.com also has some videos on building your own. Shoot me a PM if you want more info, I'd be glad to help you out.

Thanks monty...

I think ive decided against that .22 s&w. It's cool but not worth it i see. Actually the DPMS is on the cheap side I have seen around here, with most ar15's well over a grand. Cheapest i have seen is a sportacle for $700, but by the time i put a decent scope mounted its near that same price minus features... I have been reading about the .22 conversion on a .223/5.56 ar15. Very interesting. As i'm still relatively new to firearms, not sure i;d be entirely comfortable assembling one myself. What would be a good price for a factory ar15 then?

Thanks monty...

I think ive decided against that .22 s&w. It's cool but not worth it i see. Actually the DPMS is on the cheap side I have seen around here, with most ar15's well over a grand. Cheapest i have seen is a sportacle for $700, but by the time i put a decent scope mounted its near that same price minus features... I have been reading about the .22 conversion on a .223/5.56 ar15. Very interesting. As i'm still relatively new to firearms, not sure i;d be entirely comfortable assembling one myself. What would be a good price for a factory ar15 then?

You should be able to find an AR for well under a grand, probably starting at about $800-$850. As for building on, the disassembly/assembly process for cleaning gets you most of the way there anyway. I built one as a project and it was disappointingly simple.

The only part considered a firearm is the lower reciver- you could buy that at your local shop, or even a complete lower half if you are uncomfortable with building (like Trooper said, it's also a great way to learn how it functions) . You could then buy an upper online from dozens of differnt dealers. You save on the tax- the tax on the lower is much less than on a complete rifle. My buddy just got a M-4 style upper from DSA for $275- a bolt and carrier is another say $160- . The two halves are held together with one pin. It will take you about 20 seconds to put it together.

Get a 10/22 if you want a 22lr rifle.

Pretty much unlimited options for building it up.

You can make an awesome tack driver or you can just tacticool the whole thing out.

I've been really wanting a saiga12 lately.

I only get to shoot twice a year and machine guns and other NFA stuff make me smile. So it's all I really do when I shoot now.

Here's some pics from a New Years shoot. The M60 on the tripod and the MG42 are mine. One M79 grenade launcher on the table is mine. The rest of the guns are a friends. Im hoping my MP40 comes threw in the next couple of months, then next I plan on an MP5 with a can. I will say, My P22 with suppressor is probably by far the most fun toy I have.

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

A family shot of some friends guns and mine:

Gats.jpg

I want an MG42

alright guys. Question about ammo.

For my 9mm, i have been shooting regular winchester fmj lately. Did not like Wolf ammo.

What brands are preffered, what brands should i stay away from...

For my 9mm, i have been shooting regular winchester fmj lately. Did not like Wolf ammo.

Cheap target ammo that your gun will feed and isn't steel cased. Blazer, Winchester, Remington, Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi, American Eagle, Federal, Speer, etc etc. I've found Winchester's value boxes (white boxes found at WalMart et al) to be a little dirtier than others, but not nearly as bad as a round that dumps unburnt powder that Wolf or other super-cheap steel cased, bi metal rounds will like Brown Bear. I have not shot Silver or Gold Bear, but avoid them given the record of Brown Bear.

I get my .40 reloaded for about $160/1000 rounds, so I go that route. When I shot 9mm I got bulk reloads online from Georgia Arms with good luck. Whatever you can do to reduce the cost of the ammo, since you're not going to see much benefit from a more accurate round if you're not trying to hold 2" groups at more than 25 yards. Plus your gun will be more or less accurate with certain rounds depending on bullet weight, powder load, and individual bullet cast/jacket shapes.

Besides the Wolf being crap, I personally have come to despite the Win WB. It just leaves too much gunk after so few rounds.

I've put about 4K rounds of Wolf through my AR- While not the cleanest, it is cheap and accuracy is fine out to 100 yards. It's filthy, but I'm going to clean the rifle anyway. Bought a ton when it was $165 per case. Beats practicing with Lake City at $400 plus.

I haven't shot much if any wolf pistol. I've been using CCI blazer, WWB, and American Eagle with no issues. That being said, my USP eats anything I feed it.

The only issue with Wolf, besides it being dirty, is that the steel cases can cause undue wear to the extractor and do things like scratch or wear the feed ramp or breach. That, and prolonged shooting may leave lacquer behind in the gun which can cause failures a lot faster than with brass or aluminum cases.

I had a large batch of Fiocchi imported from Italy that had lacquer or some other sealant around the primers that built up on the breach face and forced the gun to hang up going in and out of battery.

I think the whole steel cased and wear thing is bullshit.

Ive probably put 10k+ rounds threw my AR with steel cased ammo and Ive never had an extractor break, go any earlier than one with brass cased ammo, or any other malfunctions.

As for lacquered ammo, I that shit melts when it gets to hot and gives me issues. Pass on it.

I think the whole steel cased and wear thing is bullshit.

Ive probably put 10k+ rounds threw my AR with steel cased ammo and Ive never had an extractor break, go any earlier than one with brass cased ammo, or any other malfunctions.

As for lacquered ammo, I that shit melts when it gets to hot and gives me issues. Pass on it.

An AR/AK with loose tolerances vs something that isn't so robust is something to consider. Not that Wolf makes magnum pistol rounds that I've seen, but in something like a Desert Eagle (I know, cliche, but the best example at hand) that chews up the rims of cases with an overly aggressive extractor in a rotating bolt and you get issues fast.

Anybody have any experiences with the Fulton Armory M14 EBR Mod 0? I'm going to be shooting it with my friends dad (Navy Seal) either next weekend or the weekend after, and I'm not sure what to expect from it.