Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drewhunz

The Gun Thread

Nice, figgi!

I'll be pickin up my Daniel Defense DDXV ar15 next friday. Bunch of buddies are gonna hit up Knob Creek gun range next sunday morning... youre welcome to join us!

My lil brother is really looking to get an ak74 in the next couple months, you like it?

You will love the AR-15! Did you get it from Shooter's Supply? As for next Sunday I might have to work, but if not I will definitely go.

As for the AK-74, I like it pretty well. It lacks the punch of the 7.62 round, but it also doesn't have the muzzle rise of the 47. For going to the range I really prefer the AR though.

One of the tech's that works for my wife is getting together a concealed carry class in June if you are interested.

You will love the AR-15! Did you get it from Shooter's Supply? As for next Sunday I might have to work, but if not I will definitely go.

As for the AK-74, I like it pretty well. It lacks the punch of the 7.62 round, but it also doesn't have the muzzle rise of the 47. For going to the range I really prefer the AR though.

One of the tech's that works for my wife is getting together a concealed carry class in June if you are interested.

Yeah from Shooters. They had a good deal on it. Better than i could find anywhere else around here anyway. Ive shot my friends AR a bit and enjoyed, next week seems like it is a long time away! I do need to look into a concealed carry class. Ill have to find out my schedule, but i definitely plan on taking it...

Got my AR15 today. Should be picking up a sling this week, and a few extra mags. Man i love it now, can't wait till I shoot it!

th_DDXV.jpg

Trying to decide if i want a dedicated .22lr upper or a CMMG .22 conversion bolt. I like the price of the 22's but i want to shoot them in an ar15 platform, so im not planning on getting a separate rifle. But thats still a couple months out. Followed by a scope. (probably red dot)

Unfortunately there is apparently a wicked storm hitting this weekend that will most likely prevent me from shooting at the local outdoor range... oh well that'll give me more time to look at it...

Nice rifle. The problem is there is about a million differnt mods you can make now. Go to www.Brownells.com and order their AR specific catalog.

The best bang for buck sling going is the 2 point adjustables from BooniePacker/Redimag. Great customer service and they are made in the US. Best part is they are like $17 shipped. You'll want a side sling loog for the front sight tower. The bottom loops are just about useless. If you are just going to be plinking at the range for now, I would just use that money for ammo and mags for the time being. If you start doing transition drills to a sidearm or taking classes pick a sling up then.

Here is my 870 and AR. I'm currently running one of the slings mentioned above on the AR. The stock and forend on the 870 I refinished myself. It was coated with about 19 coats of yellow paint, as tt was originally on a local depatment's "less Lethal" shotgun. It seemed to act as a sheild to wear and tear, as once I stripped it there was very little damge to the wood.

ebay001-2.jpg

Got over to the range with one of my buddies today. Great day to be outside. He was wringing out his new DSA upper and sighting in his EO Tech. Stuck case about 100 rounds in cut his trigger time a little short, But a good time none the less.

Race4LastPlace- How do you like your new rifle?

Likin the eotech there monty! Wish i could get one. Maybe one day.

I did put through about 300 rounds last week. No problems whatsoever. Still not totally zeroed, but i was just plinking at 25-50 yards and seemed to get it pretty close. I'll hit the range this weekend and get it zeroed in. I was shooting standing, didnt have a bag to rest on, so i didnt get a true zero. I loved shooting it though. Managed to destroy a bunch of oranges, even took out a bowling pin at 100 yards... Felt Great!

Thanks for the tip on brownells.com!

Picked up a few p-mags and I did just pick this up: CMMG .22lr conversion bolt (but got it cheaper from cdnninvestments.com 155 shipped on sale) First go this weekend, should make plinking way cheaper!!!

Plan to add this in the next month: DD quad rail handguard should be good into the quad rail system. Not free float, but im not planning on adding too much too it, and not for match shooting, so this will work great...

Next plans include vertical grip and possibly a red dot sight. Been looking at the Vortex Sparc red dot. I'll be running it cowitnessed with my a1.5 buis.

The non-free floated railed handguards are great. I'm running a Midwest Industries set on my AR. They are rock solid with do play, even if I tourque the vertical grip. At most I mount the grip and a light, and it more than gets the job done. MI and YMH are both soild products with very competitive pricing. You may want to check them out .

Before you spend a bunch of dough on parts you may find you don't need, I highly recomend taking a carbine course. You learn in a hurry what works and what you really need, and what is just shit hanging off your rifle making it heavy. With your proximity to Knob Creek I would think you should have a few options for training. Most will coer zeroing, maintenace, stance, sight picture etc.

That siad, I've seen nothing but good things about the Vortex sights, and the customer service from Primary Arms is top notch. For plinking the Vortex should serve your needs well.

I just found this thread and I can't believe I found this on a hockey thread!

I've been shooting since i was 4 (I'm 20 now) and have shot competitive rifle since High School, mainly small bore 50m Olympic prone and 3 position with my Anschutz 1807 22 caliber and have competed in local competition and the Empire State Games in NY.

Also, I shoot silhouette high power using my Ruger .308 (slightly modified) and shoot trap (Browning A5 Belgium). Hard to get around shooting with school and my job but just figured I'd post in this thread since I love shooting :D

Got back out to knob creek today for some shooting. Monty, I did look into courses. Found an ar15 1 day course. Teaches you to shoot up to 600 yards. However after talking with people that's a fat waste of 300 bucks, so I'll just learn from friends and my father (handicapped now can't shoot much) but did spend 24 years in military and was an expert marksman. He has helped me immensely to this point...

Got the ar15 sighted in about 20 rounds today (25meters). then sent out about 750 rounds of .22 in the conversion kit. Worked like a charm! Failed to extract 1 casing but other than that I was plinking away! Accuracy wasn't spot on but I could keep it on paper at 100 yards. I attribute that to the high twist rate of my .223 barrel, and non supersonic ammo. But high velocity hollow point 36gr rounds got me about a 2-3" group at 20 yards, if I really was patient and tried For the shooting I do, that's good for now especially since I was shooting off hand...

Then put 5 rounds of .223 in the end (to prevent fouling from .22 usage) and put down and rolled a bowling pin at about 40 yards...

Overall great day

Nice David- Is it difficult to find items like that still in decent shape? Also, out of curiosity what are you running as a lube in the class III items in your collection?

Mine are all shotguns (mostly doubles). Less than 3 months till Dove season!

Ugartechea GR1 SXS 28ga...My go to for upland over dogs/early Dove

Ithaca SKB 280E SXS 20ga ...Pheasant/Late Dove

Browning Citori White Lightning O/U 12...Clays

Grandpas old Mossy New Haven Pump 12 ...Waterfowl

Nice David- Is it difficult to find items like that still in decent shape? Also, out of curiosity what are you running as a lube in the class III items in your collection?

Not particularly hard to find, just to want to pay for it. Everyone thinks everything they have is worth big money. I got this for basically free from a very good friend who already had one in his collection.

For lube I just use break free.

That MG42 is pretty damn sweet, nice one. How are the optics on that hmg mount?

Family got our first real gun today, a Remington 700 .30-06. Mainly going to be my dad and myself using it. I'm pretty excited to learn how to shoot!

Good luck man, you picked a hell of a gun to learn on!

That MG42 is pretty damn sweet, nice one. How are the optics on that hmg mount?

They're clear and work. Problem is understanding the 50 page manual that goes with them. The optic has adjustments in itself that coincide with properly positioning of the tripod. As usual, the germans over complicate a lot of things. So, like they did in ww2, I just point and click and dont really use the scope.

This thread makes me realize how different - not better, not worse, just different - our cultures are!

Talk bad about 'Murica again and I'll bust a cap in your ass. ;)

This thread makes me realize how different - not better, not worse, just different - our cultures are!

My Canadian relatives say the same thing!

When my parents moved here they couldn't understand the fascination people had with guns out here.

I have only shot one gun my entire life and I found it to be a really cool experience but I am too much of an animal lover to go out and hunt.

I am just curious has anyone on here ever had to use a gun for protection?

When my parents moved here they couldn't understand the fascination people had with guns out here.

I have only shot one gun my entire life and I found it to be a really cool experience but I am too much of an animal lover to go out and hunt.

I am just curious has anyone on here ever had to use a gun for protection?

I use a gun everyday for protection. Have I actually needed to use it? Once or twice.