Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drewhunz

The Gun Thread

Think I'm going to pick up a Magpul ACS stock- Can't seem to find one of the older VLTOR stocks in OD. The VLTOR would be much eaiser to "pin" to be CT AWB compliant, but it looks like it's possible with the ACS, I'd just have to put a roll pin in the stock body and drill into the bottom of the buffer tube. Anybody else in a ban state?

Think I'm going to pick up a Magpul ACS stock- Can't seem to find one of the older VLTOR stocks in OD. The VLTOR would be much eaiser to "pin" to be CT AWB compliant, but it looks like it's possible with the ACS, I'd just have to put a roll pin in the stock body and drill into the bottom of the buffer tube. Anybody else in a ban state?

Ban state? What is that?

God Bless Texas :biggrin:

Thanks for the sympathy Dave. The lack of bayo lugs on the rifles in this state has saved thousands of children's lives. Anybody use/see RRA's "Operator" stock? Looks like what I'm looking for, and the price isn't bad. Spoke with a woman in customer service and they will be made in OD soon.

I still find it very hard to believe each company can make their own variation of the standard LE/Carbine stock and sell it for $20, but as soon as it gets a wide comb and a QD swivel point it costs $150. I'm looking at HK specifically on this one who charge something like $250 for their very vanilla stock.

You should be able to get a Magpul ACS stock in OD for just over $100 tomorrow if you check around. I think $125 is their normal price.

Picked up a Yugoslavian SKS yesterday. My uncle picked it up from an estate sale and traded it to me for a bottle of scotch. Fun gun, blows up water jugs really well.

Anything HK is going to be expensive. Choate just came out with an AR stock- I haven't seen it yet in person, but it's a much cheaper alternative. Also, for your .22 you could pick up a CAA stock saddle and get the improved cheek weld for under 20 bucks.

Considering buying a 12 gauge for home defense. I'd use a pistol, but I can't shoot worth a crap with one and don't have the time to practice. I have an opportunity to buy a New England Firearms Pardner shotgun. Anything I should be aware of? The price tells me this isn't a high quality firearm and it seems to be made in China, but the reviews I can find online seem to indicate I wouldn't have any trouble with it jamming and that at 20 feet I'd hit a torso pretty easily.

Considering buying a 12 gauge for home defense. I'd use a pistol, but I can't shoot worth a crap with one and don't have the time to practice. I have an opportunity to buy a New England Firearms Pardner shotgun. Anything I should be aware of? The price tells me this isn't a high quality firearm and it seems to be made in China, but the reviews I can find online seem to indicate I wouldn't have any trouble with it jamming and that at 20 feet I'd hit a torso pretty easily.

Around $100 more gets you into Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Benelli Nova territory (low to mid $300). In my mind if you're going to buy something to bet your life on you don't try to find the cheapest option.

Don't count a the sound of a pump shotgun "scaring away badguys". All it does is let them know where you are and they can wait to ambush you if they hear you coming. If you wait until you're on top of them like in TV/movies then you've just moved around with an empty gun that will do you no good at a moment's notice.

Invest in training, especially if you feel that you're not a good shot. A shotgun does not make a 12" pattern at all distances. Inside 30 feet it's most likely smaller than your fist still. Get some low recoil buckshot and become familiar with how it shoots, how to load and unload, clean it, how to handle the recoil, etc. Firearms practice and training is no different than hockey - you can't buy the gear and be all set to play if you've never skated before.

Around $100 more gets you into Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Benelli Nova territory (low to mid $300). In my mind if you're going to buy something to bet your life on you don't try to find the cheapest option.

Don't count a the sound of a pump shotgun "scaring away badguys". All it does is let them know where you are and they can wait to ambush you if they hear you coming. If you wait until you're on top of them like in TV/movies then you've just moved around with an empty gun that will do you no good at a moment's notice.

Invest in training, especially if you feel that you're not a good shot. A shotgun does not make a 12" pattern at all distances. Inside 30 feet it's most likely smaller than your fist still. Get some low recoil buckshot and become familiar with how it shoots, how to load and unload, clean it, how to handle the recoil, etc. Firearms practice and training is no different than hockey - you can't buy the gear and be all set to play if you've never skated before.

I hear what you're saying, I'll look for a used Remington or Mossberg.

I'm a fine shot, just not with a pistol. If I have a shotgun or rifle in my hands, I'll let you pick which eye you want it in. With a pistol, you get to pick which wall of the barn I'm hitting.

I've probably shot something in the order of 10 thousand rounds in my life, I'm just not interested in firearms as a hobby anymore. The intention is definitely to run several dozen rounds through it before I even think of counting on it.

With Family Guy in syndication the way it is...I've seen this episode so many times...I think of this thread every time it's on:

^^^ I've put a couple hundred rounds through my friend's M&P. Nice shooting piece. He did have to pick up an aftermarket trigger as the stock one was terrible. His was an early model, I'm not sure if this has been fixed on subsequent models.

From what I've been told the more recent M&Ps have a better trigger than the early models. I've only fired the early version and the trigger is a bit rough.The compact I bought is a newer pistol so hopefully the trigger is a bit better. If not I'll being installing the Apex trigger mod.

Anybody shoot any of the "Herters" steel cased ammo from Cabela's? It looks like repackaged Wolf, which my AR eats all day with no issues.

Looking for a concealed carry weapon. I've been leaning toward a Springfield XD. I've shot them a few times and have really like them in 9mm and 40 cal, however I am being strongly advised to get a revolver.

Looking for a concealed carry weapon. I've been leaning toward a Springfield XD. I've shot them a few times and have really like them in 9mm and 40 cal, however I am being strongly advised to get a revolver.

Find something you are comfortable shooting ergonomics wise- try shooting friend's pistols or rent them at a range. Don't let someone else push you into a certain type or brand.It's a very personal choice, much like buying skates. Most importantly, find something that you will actually carry. A CCW piece does you very little good sitting in a safe. Do as much research as you can before buying anything.

Just curious, what are the reasons you're being given in favor of the revolver?

Monty's exactly right, firearms are like skates and need to be what's comfortable for the end user. For example, I'm not a fan of Glocks; the grip angle doesn't work for me and I hate the trigger. My Sig 228 is what works for me, but plenty of people aren't comfortable with a DA/SA trigger.

Find something you are comfortable shooting ergonomics wise- try shooting friend's pistols or rent them at a range. Don't let someone else push you into a certain type or brand.It's a very personal choice, much like buying skates. Most importantly, find something that you will actually carry. A CCW piece does you very little good sitting in a safe. Do as much research as you can before buying anything.

Thanks for the response! I've done a ton of research. I just turned 20 and I have already taken the course, now it is just a matter of waiting a year lol. A lot of my military friends use Glocks, but I'm not a big fan of the fact that they don't have safeties. I've used a couple revolvers and I like the fact that they are reliable and are more body shaped (if that makes sense). But, I am really leaning towards the Springfield XD. Love everything about it. Plus, the safety feature is awesome too (located on the back of the grip and is deactivated when you squeeze). Now, I just have to decide between 9mm or 40 cal.

Just curious, what are the reasons you're being given in favor of the revolver?

Monty's exactly right, firearms are like skates and need to be what's comfortable for the end user. For example, I'm not a fan of Glocks; the grip angle doesn't work for me and I hate the trigger. My Sig 228 is what works for me, but plenty of people aren't comfortable with a DA/SA trigger.

Well I talked to the local sheriff and the guy who conducts the ccw classes (holds like 16 records and multiple national championships as a competitve shooter) and the main gist was that a revolver will always fire when you need it to and it is more concealable. The one thing I don't like is the fact you only get 5 shots, however, how often are you going to need more?

Gotcha. Personally, I don't agree with some of that as revolvers do NOT always fire when you need it. Personally, I'd prefer to have a highly reliable autoloading handgun which is just as reliable, in my opinion, as a revolver. In addition to the added capacity offered, in the event of a malfunction in an autoloader it can often be resolved by a "tap, rack, bang" procedure. However, when revolvers malfunction it is often a timing issue requiring the firearm to be sent back for service. However, the important thing is that YOU are comfortable with what you purchase, and it sounds like you're feeling the love for the XD. Good luck with your purchase, and enjoy it!

Thanks for the response! I've done a ton of research. I just turned 20 and I have already taken the course, now it is just a matter of waiting a year lol. A lot of my military friends use Glocks, but I'm not a big fan of the fact that they don't have safeties. I've used a couple revolvers and I like the fact that they are reliable and are more body shaped (if that makes sense). But, I am really leaning towards the Springfield XD. Love everything about it. Plus, the safety feature is awesome too (located on the back of the grip and is deactivated when you squeeze). Now, I just have to decide between 9mm or 40 cal.

Well I talked to the local sheriff and the guy who conducts the ccw classes (holds like 16 records and multiple national championships as a competitve shooter) and the main gist was that a revolver will always fire when you need it to and it is more concealable. The one thing I don't like is the fact you only get 5 shots, however, how often are you going to need more?

One of my best friends is a State Trooper in a northern state. He was involved in an incident where he had to use his duty weapon, a .40 SIG. The 13th (last round in the weapon) ended the altercation. Better to have too many than not enough....

I've found the flat shape and typically thinner profile of autos to be much more comfortable to conceal. I've put thousands of rounds through my HK and have yet to have a malfunction. Whatever you carry make sure you would bet your life on it working.

Very true also keep in mind that any gun can jam/malfunction although a revolver has a significantly less chance than a semi-auto pistol. In addition, the quality of the ammo and how you maintain you gun contribute to you gun functioning well.