Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drewhunz

The Gun Thread

One of my best friends is a State Trooper in a northern state. He was involved in an incident where he had to use his duty weapon, a .40 SIG. The 13th (last round in the weapon) ended the altercation. Better to have too many than not enough....

I've found the flat shape and typically thinner profile of autos to be much more comfortable to conceal. I've put thousands of rounds through my HK and have yet to have a malfunction. Whatever you carry make sure you would bet your life on it working.

Yes and that was my main point when arguing, however, its hard to argue with experts lol. What model of HK do you have? I know a guy who swears by his.

Yes and that was my main point when arguing, however, its hard to argue with experts lol. What model of HK do you have? I know a guy who swears by his.

USP Compact .40 . It's ball bat reliable, a bit on the heavy side, but it always works.

Thanks for the response! I've done a ton of research. I just turned 20 and I have already taken the course, now it is just a matter of waiting a year lol. A lot of my military friends use Glocks, but I'm not a big fan of the fact that they don't have safeties. I've used a couple revolvers and I like the fact that they are reliable and are more body shaped (if that makes sense). But, I am really leaning towards the Springfield XD. Love everything about it. Plus, the safety feature is awesome too (located on the back of the grip and is deactivated when you squeeze). Now, I just have to decide between 9mm or 40 cal.

I went with the XD9sc. This was my first gun. I was comparing the Glock and the XD. I chose the XD for the same reasons you've discussed. Being my first gun, i really liked the double safety. That and the XD simply fit my hand better. I've been very pleased with it. I picked a Crossbreed Supertuck conceal holster which i really like. I did pick up a Ruger LCP .380 for warmer weather carry and easier concealment.

You won't regret the XD if you go that way. I chose the 9 for overall usage costs, with ammo costing less.

Good Luck!

Keep in mind belt and holster choice makes a huge difference in carry comfort. A full size pistol can be easily worn and concealed with the right setup in most cases.

I don't like revolvers, simply because I can't shoot them well. An auto feels a ton better in my hand. Shooting the small J-Frame S&W revolvers with .357 loads hurts, the next few follow up shots will be hard to place, it's hard to get a second hand on there, and you almost need a laser.

You can get some single stack 9mm autos that shoot very well and still hold more than a 5-shot revolver. Kahr makes 3 sizes in polymer or stainless frames, Sig makes the 239, Walther PPS, so many others.

The XD is a solid choice. I wasn't a fan of the grip size and the magazine release IIRC does not stand proud of the frame, and I had difficulty using it.

Whatever you choose, don't spend $500 on a pistol and think $50 more will get you ready to carry. You need to shoot at least 200-500 rounds through your gun (preferably with the load you intend to carry) to make sure you know how to use it, develop the muscle memory to draw, load, reload, diagnose failure, clean, maintain, and to make sure the gun is working and has no defects. A good holster will cost you more than $50, and a great leather holster will cost over $100. A good stiff belt will cost $50-100.

^^^Couldn't agree more about the need for a good belt and holster. I prefer the thin Kydex models, Mine is a FIST tuckable. Belts - I use a 5.11 riggers belt and a leather double think model from "The Beltman" that's going on 8 years of daily use and is just now showing wear. Wothe the $60.

As an aside, I've been using Mobil 1 Synthetic motor oil to lube my AR for the last 6 months or so with excellent results. Dosen't burn off as quick as CLP and keeps things slick.

Ok, question for all of you CPL holders out there. My wife is taking her cpl class in a couple weeks. I've been looking around to get some ideas for a nice carry option for her. I know when it comes down to it, comfort will be the big deciding factor, but i'm just looking to narrow down the choices.

I'm looking at .380 and 9mm(compact/sub compact) in semi or possibly the lighter revolvers. Any recommendations we should add to the list for her to try out. I've got a Ruger LCP, but she really doesn't like the long trigger pull. Any of your brides out there have any preferences???

Thanks in advance for your insight!!!

Prenny

May want to look into a Walther PPK/S.

Great gun, my dad owns one but I don't like the way its feels in my hands and I have small hands. The slide can cut your hand up if you grip it even a little high due to its design. Also not a fan of the 380 ACP. Just my opinion

As an aside, I've been using Mobil 1 Synthetic motor oil to lube my AR for the last 6 months or so with excellent results. Dosen't burn off as quick as CLP and keeps things slick.

Don't forget that CLP doesn't need to be wet to be working. You may think it "burned off" but it's still lubricating. In on AR armorers video I saw the parts were sprayed with CLP, left to sit for a minute, then wiped off and the gun reassembled. I don't run my AR very wet at all.

Don't forget that CLP doesn't need to be wet to be working. You may think it "burned off" but it's still lubricating. In on AR armorers video I saw the parts were sprayed with CLP, left to sit for a minute, then wiped off and the gun reassembled. I don't run my AR very wet at all.

I run mine fairly dry as well- very little lube, just on the conatct areas. I don't understand the folks that spray the whole BCG donw and reinstall it. It's like opening the hood of your car, dumping a can of oil on the engine and calling it lubed.

From what I've been told the more recent M&Ps have a better trigger than the early models. I've only fired the early version and the trigger is a bit rough.The compact I bought is a newer pistol so hopefully the trigger is a bit better. If not I'll being installing the Apex trigger mod.

I bought my M&P9c about a month ago and i thouht the trigger was fine until i put in the apex stuff. It took me about an hour, never taken a pistol down that far but it is well worth it. apex takes the m&p's trigger pull and reset to the butter zone.

I fired a few pistols recently, (XD compact .40, glock 19 9mm, and cz75 9mm) and out of the three, I enjoyed the cz75 the most. Does anyone have any opinions of them? I liked they way it fit my hand (I know the other two are compacts) and the way it fired. Any opinions?

Zach

I fired a few pistols recently, (XD compact .40, glock 19 9mm, and cz75 9mm) and out of the three, I enjoyed the cz75 the most. Does anyone have any opinions of them? I liked they way it fit my hand (I know the other two are compacts) and the way it fired. Any opinions?

Zach

CZ make really good pistols for people on a budget. Even then, they're still areally good option against other slightly more expensive manufacturers. I carry the RAMI for a CCW and a CZ75 for a truck gun. Overall, I really like them. Their grip is the next best choice for me ater a 1911.

Zach

The CZ75 is the 1911 of the rest of the world. Very naturally pointing and time-proven. I would like to pick one up sometime. Tangfolio also makes a high quality version.

I see my fellow Texans are not disappointing when it comes to firearms. I moved here from California a couple of years ago and let me tell you, going into a gun store here is a completely different experience.

I currently have an S&W M59 that was given to me by my grandfather. He carried it as his service weapon while an investigator for the state of California. I also have a Springfield M1 made in 1944. Great rifle.

I have been looking at getting my CHL with the intent of carrying a Sig P250 but I haven't gone that route yet. Now that I'm getting into hockey, that will probably wait.

My next purchase is going to be a Mossberg 500 that a friend of mine is selling to me cheap, along with a bunch of ammo.

DavidT, I am in awe of your collection. :ohmy:

Now that I'm getting into hockey, that will probably wait.

Shooting and hockey, two hobbies for people who don't like to have any money in their pockets! :D

Shooting and hockey, two hobbies for people who don't like to have any money in their pockets! :D

No kidding! Tack on having a kid and it is amazing I have any money at all.

Do some resarch on the Sig P250- I was wondering why they were so cheap everywhere- it seems to be because Sig can't give them away. I almost picked one up, and find the concept interesting, but I read enough negative reviews to pass.

Do some resarch on the Sig P250- I was wondering why they were so cheap everywhere- it seems to be because Sig can't give them away. I almost picked one up, and find the concept interesting, but I read enough negative reviews to pass.

I agree, not much love on SigForum.

I agree, not much love on SigForum.

Very interesting, I've heard nothing but good things from the Texas CHLers that I know. I liked it because it fit perfectly in my hand and pointed very naturally.