Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drewhunz

The Gun Thread

Anybody here use a scout rifle setup? I'm looking for a general-purpose rifle.

Ruger M77?

They have a bunch of different versions including this uber-sexy model.

for now just target shooting/home protection but maybe down the road would carry - hadn't really thought about it

and the 226 was already on my list chadd - that just confirms it even more

monty i noticed you didnt talk about glocks at all - what is your opinion of them?

It's all personal prefference. I don't care for the ergonomics- the orintation of the grip angle feels "off" to me and dosen't point as instinctively as others. I thought the slide release is too small and too far forward. They are fine guns, I've shot them quite a bit, You can fid holsters and mags easily and cheap, but it just wasn't a good fit for me. I can't stress enough how important it is to try before you buy.

Chadd- Wolf ammo gets a bad rap. I've shot casses of it through my AR and HK with zero issues.You used to hear a lot more "it'll make you sterile, kill you cat, wear out your extractor, cause cancer, make your gun explode" stories before the cost of brass cased ammo went up drasticly the last few years. Funny how many ammo snobs got converted. The polymer coated steel cased ammo is good to go. If it won't run in your gun, they stand behind it 100%-Send the unused ammo back to them with a recepit and they will refund your money. I use it for plinking and even 3 gun matches. It's fine out to 100 yards.

Check out the Springfield M1A. I don't have one but they do look sweet and I have heard great reviews.

https://www.budsguns...oducts_id/27590

Love the M1As. kind of pricey to buy, and pricey to feed. I still think the AR pattern rifle will fill any need you could imagine. With all the companies making aftermarket parts, sights, mags, slings etc, you can build a rifle exactly how you need/want it.

I like lever actions for a scout rifle set-up, although an M1A is a very nice choice as well. When I move to Connecticut, going to be the first gun I buy, that or an M16 for military rifle competitions.

i was thinking general purpose may have included hunting, hence the bolt suggestion. If you include semis, I loved the mini-14 that we had. Tons of upgrades available, common ammo, reasonably priced and no problems with accuracy.

Yes, I was looking for a rifle that could be used for hunting as well as target shooting, so the 7.62mm / .308 calibre and the bolt action would be better. I didn't know they came with Picatinny rails.

I did like the C7 (Canadian version of the M16A2), but if I go that route I would put in a short stroke gas piston kit.

What I don't want to do is become a firearms gear whore. It looks like it can get expensive in a hurry.

Yes, I was looking for a rifle that could be used for hunting as well as target shooting, so the 7.62mm / .308 calibre and the bolt action would be better. I didn't know they came with Picatinny rails.

I did like the C7 (Canadian version of the M16A2), but if I go that route I would put in a short stroke gas piston kit.

What I don't want to do is become a firearms gear whore. It looks like it can get expensive in a hurry.

For bolt guns, check out pretty much anything from Savage. Very accurate, and great quality for the money.

I like lever actions for a scout rifle set-up, although an M1A is a very nice choice as well. When I move to Connecticut, going to be the first gun I buy, that or an M16 for military rifle competitions.

http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/special_licensing_and_firearms/assault_weapons.pdf Have you seen our gun laws? Attached is a link to the firearms banned by name. On top of that, we have a State law that parrots the expired Clinton AWB, only ours never runs out. If you get an AR, it won't be a Colt, even though they are based here in Hartford. You can , of course buy the exact same model, produced by any other company and be good to go. And we wonder why all the manufactureing jobs are leaving.... If you can find a pre ban before coming here all the better. Then you can keep your adjustable stock and bayo lug etc. Where in CT are you looking at?

http://www.ct.gov/dp...ult_weapons.pdf Have you seen our gun laws? Attached is a link to the firearms banned by name. On top of that, we have a State law that parrots the expired Clinton AWB, only ours never runs out. If you get an AR, it won't be a Colt, even though they are based here in Hartford. You can , of course buy the exact same model, produced by any other company and be good to go. And we wonder why all the manufactureing jobs are leaving.... If you can find a pre ban before coming here all the better. Then you can keep your adjustable stock and bayo lug etc. Where in CT are you looking at?

Going to be moving to the Hartford area in June/July right now I'm in New Haven. I am from NYC and gun laws here are the worst so they can't get much worse, and CT's don't seem as bad as NYC. I didn't see the M1A on the list so that's a plus! At least I know I can transfer my current guns to CT with no problems, just gonna need to find a range.

Thre are a few ranges around your area. Hoffman's gun shop in Newington has an indoor pistol range. There are also a few outdorr ranges in the surroundng towns for rifle. M1A's are good to go CT.

Chadd_ if you are still looking for .30 ammo Aimsurplus.com has Augila brass cased for $14.95 per 20 rounds. Not the cheapest, but it's decent ammo.

Anyone have or been around the Remington R1?

It is their new 1911 handgun that has been out about a year or so. I am a big Remington fan but wondered how it compares to other GI style "entry level" 1911's out there.

Anyone that shoots with any regularity- you may want to pick up ammo now. Prices are already rapidly increasing. I saw this during the last election cycle as well.

New toy for plinking

IMG_8926.jpg

IMG_8927.jpg

IMG_8929.jpg

IMG_8930.jpg

IMG_8933.jpg

Another plinker, but this one is a long gun

Ruger 10/22...metal trigger group, BSA Sweet 22, Competition Hammer kit(trigger pull is <3 lbs), bolt buffer, and extended mag release(not pictured)

0528110734.jpg

0528110734a.jpg

Anyone that shoots with any regularity- you may want to pick up ammo now. Prices are already rapidly increasing. I saw this during the last election cycle as well.

I might have to look into reloading.

Componets are unfortunitly not exempt from the price spikes as well. I recall powders, primers and brass becoming scarce and expensive, just like 5.56 and 7.62 etc.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

Just did a little cleaning up, now I need to order a couple parts to finish putting it back to original config.

560276_3677872621640_1119737678_3404658_1375365192_n.jpg

Nice carbines Chadd. What's the story on these- a relative's bring back? I love hearing the stories behind old G.I. rifles. What's the make /model on the top one? The stok looks comercial maybe? I'm far from an expert on these.

What do you need for parts? If it's sling and oil bottle Nurmich (www.eguns.com) is a great sight for old/hard to find parts. Ebay also has a ton of parts as well, beleive it or not.

The top one is actually a Crosman BB gun from the early 60's. The first model year came with an actual wood stock, after that it was plastic that looked like wood. I would love to find a deal on the magazine for it, they seem to go for as much as the guns themselves lately. I have already been looking at oiler, sling and barrel band with sling swivel. My grandfather loaded up on a bunch of keepsakes when he was in the air force in the mid 50's. I was surprised to see the value on a couple watches and clocks that he had in boxes in the attic.

Too funny. I think it's Armscor, a gunmaker out of China that used to (maybe still does) produce copies of .U.S. service rifles. I assumed it was something similar based on the stock and rear sight being "off".

Who manufactured the bottom one?

Looks like the barrel band is going to set you back at least $100 unless you get lucky or go with a repro. I'll keep an eye out for one.

Here's some slings:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-M-1-Quality-Carbine-Sling/dp/B0006UD5HO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/O-D-M1-CARBINE-SLING-MARKED-US-SWI-1944-WELL-MADE-L-K-/300663221117?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4600ecab7d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-WW2-30-M1-CARBINE-SLING-and-OILER-/350559672738?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519efc19a2

The bottom one was produced in 1942 by GM. It has a lot of miles on it. If I shoot it regularly, I may get a replacement stock as the hand guard is nearly cracked all the way through at the rivets. I just can't afford another hobby that costs a couple grand a year at this point.

Did a little more research. It's a five digit serial #, but not a completely original inland/GM. It has an updated rear sight and I believe the trigger and slide were also updated but I have not taken it apart. The barrel is original though.

The Military had a habit of collecting used rifles at the end of conflicts, taking them all aparet and putting each piece in a pile. they would then repair/relpace/refinish and reassemble rifles with no regard for what was origional to each weapon. That's why most service rifles are "mix-masters" parts wise, and an all original is rare.

Service rifles were designed and manufactured with generous enough part tolerances that any parts could be assembled together, to facilitate field repair and replacement. Some precision was lost in exchange for this. Additionally, some weapons were modified with updated parts, some time after manufacture.

Met up with my Uncle yesterday, he has a place in upstate Vermont with some land. He remembered I've been bugging him to shoot his M-1 Garand for the last 8 years or so. He brought it. Hasn't been fired since he took possesion of it after he got out of the Marines in the 1950's. It was in better shape then I remembered- finish looked to be about 95% , wood was great, with one small gouge from storage. International Harvester receiver. First time for me shooting an M-1, and first time for him in a long time. Had a blast. What a great rifle. I'm glad we had a chance to share an afternoon and some history.