Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drewhunz

The Gun Thread

The annual Outdoor show here in Harrisburg PA is coming up next month and for the first time since I was a kid, i was actually looking forward to attending. A couple weeks ago the organizer of the show made an abrupt change and put out this press release:

To date, every sponsor, save one, has asked to be removed from their marketing materials and over 100 sorry 200 vendors have pulled out. I think they screwed up the whole "not attracting negative attention" thing. A list of the vendors that have pulled out is here:

http://mynortheastoutdoors.com/esos-boycott-supporters/

I was slated to work that show and now will not be there. Bummer, because I was really looking forward to it after coming back home from Shot Show and everything was so positive there.

Also, anyone looking for ammunition might want to look on www.ammoengine.com. It's a cool little search site that pulls internet listings for specific ammunition (you select categories). It compares pricing per box and per round. Just makes looking around a little easier.

Really? I just used the link and see it. What browser are you using?

Edit: I just tried the link using Chrome and IE . . . .both showed the full webpage.

Edit 2: If you're looking for bullets for reloading this page won't have it. It's factory ammunition only.

Yeah, I don't know of a good bullet/reloading pieces search as I don't have a reloading setup yet. But now that I have a garage I'm going to set something up. Have used ammoengine to find some good ammunition buys though.

I can use a good deal on bullets in some calibers, and will always look at good deals on stuff, but fortunately, I'm in pretty good shape on components right now. That could change if I get motivated to shoot regularly again.

The annual Outdoor show here in Harrisburg PA is coming up next month and for the first time since I was a kid, i was actually looking forward to attending. A couple weeks ago the organizer of the show made an abrupt change and put out this press release:

To date, every sponsor, save one, has asked to be removed from their marketing materials and over 100 sorry 200 vendors have pulled out. I think they screwed up the whole "not attracting negative attention" thing. A list of the vendors that have pulled out is here:

http://mynortheastoutdoors.com/esos-boycott-supporters/

Apparently the outfit behind the show is the one that runs SHOT, which is interesting. I see this is a pretty big story: http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/

Note the "FEATURE" at the bottom of the page.

5.56 at $1+ per round-wow. Glad I have enough until things normalize. Can't get over the .22 shortage- looks like eveyone is going to plink until prices come down.

I think things will clear up once some of the bills that are pending get heard/voted on/killed/etc. Too much speculation in the market so to speak.

Apparently the outfit behind the show is the one that runs SHOT, which is interesting. I see this is a pretty big story: http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/

Note the "FEATURE" at the bottom of the page.

The same company owns Lexis Nexis as well, I believe they are a $12B company overall. The amazing thing is that as recently as late November, they were still actively promoting the "new Tactical Firearm Area" of the show. Then, they implemented their own ban, allegedly at the request of one of the sponsors. I think it has backfired in a big way.

^ I would say so. It's nice to see some unity in the industry. Normally there is a division between "Black rifle" folks and "Fudds".

We saw a lot of this with the initial Obama election. At least the ammo/gun price hike. You couldn't find an AR-15 at a price you could justify. But 6-months prior they were in surplus and were pennies compared to what prices are now. And I did see that 5.56/.223 is per round. It's nuts. And that's why you're seeing .22LR become scarce. I know a lot of AR-15 users buy .22LR conversion uppers and stock up on .22 ammo. It's a lot of fun and, was, cheaper to buy.

My guess is that once things calm down and some final bills/legislation happens you'll see pricing fall back down a bit. Of course, that is also depending on what gets passed and what doesn't........

At any rate. . . .wishing I stocked up on lowers when companies couldn't even give them away. Hindsight......

I am working on a custom .22lr project. I have a Tactical Solutions action and carbon fiber bull barrel. The action isn't anodized yet and I'm trying to decide on a color. Thinking about going with a Hogue, but not 100% yet. I've never done anything custom before so I figured a .22LR is a great way to start. Figure they are kind of like AR's where both are like the Honda's of firearms. Aftermarket parts all over the place.

And today Reed announced that the Eastern Sports and Outdoor show has been "postponed" due to the "political climate". Considering it is the largest show on the east coast, that is a huge decision. NSSF is also considering revoking Reed's contract to operate the shot show.

Sweet! Just saw this thread. Guns and hockey. Love 'em both. Glad to see some brothers here.

I'm blessed to have a lot of calibers already purchased. I shoot old Military rifles mainly and if I had started collecting and shooting now I think I'd never have gotten anything with how crazy prices are. Thank goodness I got lots of 8mm Mauser and 7.62 x 54r etc. stockpiled.

Haven't been shooting much the last couple years though. Need to get out.

Well, years ago a few of us bought MAK-90's when they talked about banning their import. I got mine along with a 30-round magazine for $275. Fast forward to today... I've probably only run around 100 rounds through the MAK and wasn't real keen on having it as a defensive firearm at home. I would worry about it going not only through the perp, but also wall(s) and then God knows how far into the neighborhood. So I put it up for sale. I got a quick reply by a local asking if I wanted to trade for a handgun. The thought of getting a handgun set well with me. We worked out an even trade... my MAK-90 for a new never-fired Springfield 1911 mil-spec. I had to apply for a permit to purchase and will go ahead and do the required CCW training and get that permit. Not that I'll likely carry that often... but when I want to I'll be able. And if a perp breaks in and it comes down to survival mode... my only worries would be 1) can we still match the carpeting that needs replacing now, and 2) do we want to keep the same paint color on that wall?.

springfield1911milspec_zpsf08b00a3.jpg

Here is the nuts and bolts of the new Connecticut legislation. Nothing unconstitutional that I can see.

The Connecticut measure adds more than 100 guns to the state's list of banned assault weapons, limits the capacity of ammunition magazines to 10 rounds and bans armor-piercing bullets.

While the new law allows current owners of magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds to keep them, it requires those people to register the magazines with the state, and forbids owners from loading them with more than 10 rounds outside their homes or while at a gun range.

The legislation also creates the nation's first statewide registry of people convicted of crimes involving the use or threat of dangerous weapons. The registry will be available only to law enforcement agencies.

It also requires eligibility certificates for the purchase of any rifle, shotgun or ammunition, and significantly increases penalties for illegal possession and trafficking of guns.

It also requires background checks for all firearms sales, including at gun shows, and creates safety standards for school buildings.

Prosecuting the people that buy and then sell to criminals is the most important step in that legislation.

Here is the nuts and bolts of the new Connecticut legislation. Nothing unconstitutional that I can see.

The Connecticut measure adds more than 100 guns to the state's list of banned assault weapons, limits the capacity of ammunition magazines to 10 rounds and bans armor-piercing bullets.

While the new law allows current owners of magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds to keep them, it requires those people to register the magazines with the state, and forbids owners from loading them with more than 10 rounds outside their homes or while at a gun range.

The legislation also creates the nation's first statewide registry of people convicted of crimes involving the use or threat of dangerous weapons. The registry will be available only to law enforcement agencies.

It also requires eligibility certificates for the purchase of any rifle, shotgun or ammunition, and significantly increases penalties for illegal possession and trafficking of guns.

It also requires background checks for all firearms sales, including at gun shows, and creates safety standards for school buildings.

We can argue the constitutionality forever, and still have a lot of folks with conflicting opinions.