Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drewhunz

The Gun Thread

What's a "permit to purchase"?

In Iowa you must have a permit to purchase a handgun. Fill it out and then if approved pick it up a week later at the sheriff's office where you drop them off in each county. To get a CCW permit you have to do training and then there's a wait period as well.

The CCW permit requirement I think is relatively standard in each state. The permit to purchase a firearm obviously varies. In Oregon to purchase a new gun is money for the gun, an extra $10 for a back-ground check, and about an hour of your time. Private sale doesn't require a permit, FFL (as long as both are Oregon residents), back-ground check, or registration.

In Iowa you must have a permit to purchase a handgun. Fill it out and then if approved pick it up a week later at the sheriff's office where you drop them off in each county. To get a CCW permit you have to do training and then there's a wait period as well.

I gather from your post that generated my inquiry that you need the permit for a casual sale between individuals. Interesting.

I realize you probably hear this a lot (or maybe not) but living in Canada, I find this thread fascinating. In Canada you can't carry a handgun with you unless your job requires it (or there are very extenuating circumstances that require you to carry one.Very rare). A one day course is required to even apply for a basic firearm licence and another one day course on top of that is required if you want to purchase a restricted firearm which would include handguns or AR-15 type rifles. Fully automatic weapons are so illegal even the police do not have them. Only the military are allowed fully automatic weapons. Each permit requires a wait time of several weeks before the licence is issued.That's just to own a gun. You need a separate permit just to take a restricted firearm like a handgun from one location to another. This permit allows you to transport the firearm from the registered location (your home) to another location such as a gun club. Generally, if not a member of a gun club you will likely be denied the transport permit which basically says the firearm must be unloaded, secured with a trigger lock (or similar,) be inside a locked container, which is then (if possible) in a locked trunk, with the ammunition also locked up. You must then proceed by the most direct reasonable means. Quite a difference. I wouldn't bitch about rules. Just sayin'.

Doesn't sound too convenient for the bush.

And sometimes we have to bitch about rules. If no one says anything when rights are illegally infringed by the government, they'll keep doing it, and go after more rights. We need to adhere to the rule of law, and not make laws that infringe on legally guaranteed rights. I'm not getting into a discussion of particular rights, and laws that may conflict with them, I'm just advocating the rule of law.

We don't have a second amendment so there is nothing to take away...though the long gun registry is stirring up shit.

Here is the nuts and bolts of the new Connecticut legislation. Nothing unconstitutional that I can see.

The Connecticut measure adds more than 100 guns to the state's list of banned assault weapons, limits the capacity of ammunition magazines to 10 rounds and bans armor-piercing bullets.

While the new law allows current owners of magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds to keep them, it requires those people to register the magazines with the state, and forbids owners from loading them with more than 10 rounds outside their homes or while at a gun range.

The legislation also creates the nation's first statewide registry of people convicted of crimes involving the use or threat of dangerous weapons. The registry will be available only to law enforcement agencies.

It also requires eligibility certificates for the purchase of any rifle, shotgun or ammunition, and significantly increases penalties for illegal possession and trafficking of guns.

It also requires background checks for all firearms sales, including at gun shows, and creates safety standards for school buildings.

I can not believe that you don't find this unconstitutional. All of this registration is just going to lead to confiscation later on. These so called "Assault Weapons" is a joke. You can not tell me that a riffle or shotgun with a pistol grip is more deadly then one without. The ballistics are the same no mater what furniture you have you firearm dressed in. And FYI grandpa's old 30-06 is more destructive than a .223/5.56 round. The whole certificates is just another way to back door gun registration as well. I think that the background checks are a great idea but criminals are going to still do what they want because they are criminals. The only people that are being effected by all this BS is law abiding citizens. What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand.

Something people are forgetting about the second amendment, it was written at a time when the "arms" in question were a single fire musket and pistol. You can still own your pistol and rifle, it doesn't seem to be stopping you from that.

A pistol grip doesn't make a shotgun more deadly but it does make it easier to conceal. You come down the street with grandpa's 30-06 and somebody just might notice. You come strutting into a school with a pistol grip shotgun under a long coat, not so much.

As far as the criminals argument, where do you think the guns that they get originate? At some point there was a "legal" sale that put most of those weapons in circulation, unless I'm missing something and gun shops are getting knocked over every other day.

The gun control debate is so futile over a message board. You're not going to change my view and I'm not going to change your view. So I'll debate it where I can make some potential change and leave this thread to showing off cool guns.

Something people are forgetting about the second amendment, it was written at a time when the "arms" in question were a single fire musket and pistol. You can still own your pistol and rifle, it doesn't seem to be stopping you from that.

A pistol grip doesn't make a shotgun more deadly but it does make it easier to conceal. You come down the street with grandpa's 30-06 and somebody just might notice. You come strutting into a school with a pistol grip shotgun under a long coat, not so much.

As far as the criminals argument, where do you think the guns that they get originate? At some point there was a "legal" sale that put most of those weapons in circulation, unless I'm missing something and gun shops are getting knocked over every other day.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-04-27/politics/35454066_1_operation-fast-and-furious-assault-weapons-gun-traffic

First line really says it, I think "criminals" has a broader definition than most realize.

The gun control debate is so futile over a message board. You're not going to change my view and I'm not going to change your view. So I'll debate it where I can make some potential change and leave this thread to showing off cool guns.

Your right. My bad.

Can't believe I only just now found this thread. Looks like there was some good debate going, but yeah, threads on this subject tend to get a bit heated and locked, at least that's my experience on other forums!

Anyway, so I'm basically getting back into hockey as ammo is so hard to come by. I had been doing 3-Gun shoots last year, but haven't done ANY shooting (except for the one round of .308 that took down my first deer) in the last 6-9 months. Pretty depressing.

My wife told me I could probably buy a new carry pistol this Spring, but since I can't find ammo for a new gun (at least nothing affordable) I decided to funnel all that money into investing in new hockey gear and picking up the sport again. I was considering a Walther PPS or Kahr of some sorts for a slim Summer carry gun. I have a Glock 19 for carry during cooler months and a full-size Springfield 1911 for warm months... it's heavy and large, but it's slim and doesn't print on me.

Anyway, I'll probably poke my head in here a bit more now as my other "hobby" is firearms. :cool:

My wife told me I could probably buy a new carry pistol this Spring, but since I can't find ammo for a new gun (at least nothing affordable) I decided to funnel all that money into investing in new hockey gear and picking up the sport again. I was considering a Walther PPS or Kahr of some sorts for a slim Summer carry gun. I have a Glock 19 for carry during cooler months and a full-size Springfield 1911 for warm months... it's heavy and large, but it's slim and doesn't print on me.

Anyway, I'll probably poke my head in here a bit more now as my other "hobby" is firearms. :cool:

A "carry gun" is so beyond my comprehension. It truly is fascinating to read these threads and see the differences in culture that exist between two countries that border each other. Seriously, pretty interesting. No judgement intended. Similar in many ways yet so different in other ways. Pretty cool. I will now take the time to fill out the forms I require to mention the word "handgun".

See, the interesting thing is I prefer it the way it is here which speaks to the culture we are raised in. I like that we have huge gun controls in Canada. This speaks to the socialization we all face depending on where we are raised. Fascinating. Similar people,similar geography, different ideology. Pretty cool if you are into that stuff. (again, no judgement, please don't invade)

And the first was written in a time when the internet and cell phones didn't exisit, so those shouldn't be covered either?

The big issue is what was alluded to by MatthewRoach7- the folks responsible for this law aleady have a confiscation ammendment written and ready to go- They bragged about it during the hearings while saying this was a good "first step".

Jus to keep this on topic, for the poster looking for a summer carry piece- check out the S&W Sheild. It's on my short list to replace my Keltec.

I would be interested in seeing if there is an ADA based challenge in regards to the pistol grip portion.

And the first was written in a time when the internet and cell phones didn't exisit, so those shouldn't be covered either?

The big issue is what was alluded to by MatthewRoach7- the folks responsible for this law aleady have a confiscation ammendment written and ready to go- They bragged about it during the hearings while saying this was a good "first step".

Jus to keep this on topic, for the poster looking for a summer carry piece- check out the S&W Sheild. It's on my short list to replace my Keltec.

Have you shot the S&W Sheild yet? I've been looking for a sub-compact carry for warmer seasons but haven't really decided on anything yet. While I own a G19 I don't like Glock's sub-compact series. I'm on the fence between going with a sub-compact revolver or a sub-compact pistol.

I would be interested in seeing if there is an ADA based challenge in regards to the pistol grip portion.

I believe there is a group looking to do just that.

Haven't shot one yet, but haven't seen much negative about it. Cant be any worse than my keltec, and both my carry pieces will be the same caliber. 40.

Since you brought up the first amendment, it is illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater. Sometimes public safety and/or common sense does trump rights.

Since you brought up the first amendment, it is illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater. Sometimes public safety and/or common sense does trump rights.

This is not a topic for political debate, from either side.

I realize you probably hear this a lot (or maybe not) but living in Canada, I find this thread fascinating. In Canada you can't carry a handgun with you unless your job requires it (or there are very extenuating circumstances that require you to carry one.Very rare). A one day course is required to even apply for a basic firearm licence and another one day course on top of that is required if you want to purchase a restricted firearm which would include handguns or AR-15 type rifles. Fully automatic weapons are so illegal even the police do not have them. Only the military are allowed fully automatic weapons. Each permit requires a wait time of several weeks before the licence is issued.That's just to own a gun. You need a separate permit just to take a restricted firearm like a handgun from one location to another. This permit allows you to transport the firearm from the registered location (your home) to another location such as a gun club. Generally, if not a member of a gun club you will likely be denied the transport permit which basically says the firearm must be unloaded, secured with a trigger lock (or similar,) be inside a locked container, which is then (if possible) in a locked trunk, with the ammunition also locked up. You must then proceed by the most direct reasonable means. Quite a difference. I wouldn't bitch about rules. Just sayin'.

Its called an ATT. It takes 5 minutes to get and is good for 5 years. None of what you said applies to anything outside of that classification. Its dumb that I cant take my ar or my pistol into the bush but my m1a is ok! could always be worse though, we could be Australia!

at least we have Norinco selling us lots of cheap 9mm and 5.56

The Shield is definitely a contender on my list. Saw one at a local shop a few weeks back, but didn't have the time to check it out. I'm really interested in a Springfield XDS, too. The .45 would be fine, but I'm hoping they'll have a 9mm out at some point,