Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drewhunz

The Gun Thread

The Shield is on my list to look at. In NY you can't even hold a pistol in the store without your pistol license so you can shop online and read all you want but you can't hold one until you get that letter.

The Shield is on my list to look at. In NY you can't even hold a pistol in the store without your pistol license so you can shop online and read all you want but you can't hold one until you get that letter.

Sucks man. You need to escape that state! I'm so thankful I don't live in Kalifornistan anymore. I love the KS gun laws. :cool:

I bought a Marlin XT-22 a few weeks ago after searching a few months for the one I wanted. Took it to the range and it shoots great groups at 25yds. Now if I can find more .22lr ammo so I can shoot it more.

Wow that is nice! What's details on it?

Unfortunately military Thompson records aren't the greatest so history on it is purely speculative. But it's about. 1943 manufacture m1 Thompson built during a transition period. Best thing is its still all original and never reworked like most that were given to PDs or back through the govt.

You a class 3 guy? That thing is sweet. Have you shot her yet?

Collection wise. Not business. Shot it last weekend. Smooth.

I currently have a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum (4", blued, rosewood grip) and have been wanting to pick up a shotgun for HD and to shoot at the range. The Remington 870 has caught my eye. I love the wood stock and slide version.

So I obtained one of these (carbon fiber wrapped barrel) for my custom .22 build I'm doing. Also have a Tactical Solutions action I need to have custom anodized. Just can't decide on a color yet.

49291.jpg

Looking to pick up a handgun soon and have been thinking about a M&P40, XD40 or a SR40. Was also thinking about getting a compact model instead of a full size for when Illinois finally decides to pass concealed carry.

Looking to pick up a handgun soon and have been thinking about a M&P40, XD40 or a SR40. Was also thinking about getting a compact model instead of a full size for when Illinois finally decides to pass concealed carry.

If you can, try to find a range that rents these models or something similar (you may have to travel a bit). Short of that, try to handle all three in a store just to get a feel for the heft and balance, ergonomics etc. I've enjoyed shooting the M&P's and wouldn't hesistate to pick one up. If you are looking for an everyday carry piece I would highly recomend getting the smallest gun in the largest calliber you can find. I have a HK USP compact, but it can be a pain to carry, esp in the summer. I bought a KelTec P3AT for summer carry, but am replacing it shortly, likley with a M&P Sheild or similar. A carry gun dosen't do you anygood sitting at home in a safe. If your intent is to buy a carry gun, buy one you will be comfortable carrying. Also, don't skimp out on a good holster and belt. They make all the difference.

I currently have a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum (4", blued, rosewood grip) and have been wanting to pick up a shotgun for HD and to shoot at the range. The Remington 870 has caught my eye. I love the wood stock and slide version.

Can't go wrong with an 870. I have the Express version and use it for 3-Gun and HD. HD has an 18" bbl and my 3-Gun setup has (IIRC) a 24" bbl with a +10 extension tube. It's like waving a broomstick around, lol. But it runs 100% all the time. I've never had an issue with it that I can recall and the range is pretty darn sandy.

+1 for trying out as many models as you can. Keep in mind where on your body you will carry and the type of clothes you wear on a regular basis. Body size also plays a roll in concealing the gun. Purchasing a handgun is a lot like buying a pair of skates. No one person will fit a handgun the same way. People can give you recommendations on what they like, but it comes down to what fits best in your hands.

I also like the M&P and XD40. If you're going to carry consider the XDM as they are the compact series for Springfield. It's a solid feeling gun but has good balance. The pitch of the grip is good and doesn't feel too wide. But, that's just my opinion. I think IL has some indoor shooting ranges? If so, see which ones will rent handguns and go try some. You're looking into making a very expensive purchase that you are essentially putting your life on. So make sure to take the time and money to make sure the gun fits your needs.

Also, have fun. I mean, everyone is telling you to go shoot different guns. How awesome is that?

Oh...and +10000 on getting a good belt/holster. Definitely invest in a worthwhile belt. A lot of people don't realize that a simple belt from Macy's isn't the best when carrying a handgun. You want a belt that will stay put and not slide around when drawing/holstering. A holster company I went with for one of my guns is Milt Sparks. They are tailor made to the gun and are leather. They make outside and inside the waistband holsters. I'm skinny and carry inside the waistband so I needed something slim and comfortable. I've been very happy with mine. But, don't expect to get the holster right away as they are always backed up. Sometimes they'll start refusing orders near the end of the month. Not to say you should go this way right away, but investing in a good holster is a great idea.

Can't go wrong with an 870. I have the Express version and use it for 3-Gun and HD. HD has an 18" bbl and my 3-Gun setup has (IIRC) a 24" bbl with a +10 extension tube. It's like waving a broomstick around, lol. But it runs 100% all the time. I've never had an issue with it that I can recall and the range is pretty darn sandy.

I think most people will agree that the Remington 870 is a great shotgun. I own both the supermag and express versions. I tend to use the express version more. I really like it for both duck hunting and shooting trap. It's a great gun that takes little maintenance. It just runs and runs and runs. They are pretty inexpensive as well.

I have an 870 HD express- came with the black plastic furniture which I didn't care for. I prefer wood furniture as well. I picked up a set of furniture on ebay dirt cheap . It's police model furniture, and it had a thick coat of bright yellow paint so I assume it was off a "less lethal" shotty. I stripped the paint and origional finish underneath and stained it a nice red/brown. AT any rate, great guns for the money. Just beware of the finish- keep it oiled or it will rust quickly. I had a spot of oxidation near where I installed a side saddle. I now keep it in one of those silicon impregnated woven sleeves and haven't had any issues.

I have an 870 HD express- came with the black plastic furniture which I didn't care for. I prefer wood furniture as well. I picked up a set of furniture on ebay dirt cheap . It's police model furniture, and it had a thick coat of bright yellow paint so I assume it was off a "less lethal" shotty. I stripped the paint and origional finish underneath and stained it a nice red/brown. AT any rate, great guns for the money. Just beware of the finish- keep it oiled or it will rust quickly. I had a spot of oxidation near where I installed a side saddle. I now keep it in one of those silicon impregnated woven sleeves and haven't had any issues.

Very true. After Dove season ended this last year I didn't (thought I did) oil my gun. I pulled it out here a while ago and it was completely orange...e v e r y w h e r e. I was so disgusted with myself. I started cleaning it and it actually cleaned up great; can't even tell what happened. Eventually I'm probably going to have some kind of professional coating done to it anyway (FDE or similar), but it was scary pulling it out and seeing it in that condition. :facepalm:

I only get to shoot twice a year and machine guns and other NFA stuff make me smile. So it's all I really do when I shoot now.

Here's some pics from a New Years shoot. The M60 on the tripod and the MG42 are mine. One M79 grenade launcher on the table is mine. The rest of the guns are a friends. Im hoping my MP40 comes threw in the next couple of months, then next I plan on an MP5 with a can. I will say, My P22 with suppressor is probably by far the most fun toy I have.

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

A family shot of some friends guns and mine:

Gats.jpg

That's quite the murderer's row there....

Probably killed more soldiers than any general purpose machine gun in the modern era (other than the Maxim of WWI)

MG34 is a work of art, but the MG42 is much more reliable in adverse conditions.

Do you put the heavier bolt in to slow down the rate of fire?

Always ran it with a standard bolt with the anti bolt bounce device. The 60 shoots slow enough, that the 42 mixed it up a bit.

Well, anybody considering getting a an M-1 through the CMP may want to get off the fence and snag one....

Question for you guys running suppressors- Can/would a .30 cal can work on a 5.56 rifle ? I'm assuming there would be at least a minimal drop in performance, but am curious if it would run ok. If I get one It would likely only be one, so I would want to be able to use it on as many hosts as possible.