Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Ivan

The "revolutionary" channel Z skate sharpening by Prosharp

The dressing system uses long bits with the shape in it. Doesn't use spinners. I have a pic of the dressing bits, but don't remember my photobucket password and that's only way to post it on this board. Perhaps I can get it up later.

The Swede's aren't real good at details. Magnus Erikson however, explained to me that they tested the FBV in Europe and their players didn't really notice much difference, primarily because most of them are skating in the 3/4-1" hollow range. He said the FBV also lost an edge too easy for them. Said it worked well for skaters who were on deeper hollows but it really wasn't suitable for the average European player. Since that's their primary market, that's why they developed the Channel... to get more speed but not lose edges.

So far for now we all will have to guess (as we did for the FBV) until we can skate on it and compare it to the other methods. It may have it's niche, so why not another option. It's good for hockey.

It may be well for hockey, I agree. Yet, it's kinda hard for me to agree that European players use shallower hollows.

At least the majority of players request 1/2 ROH from me or 100/50 FBV. 100/75 FBV appears to be having too much edge for most here.

Initially I did think that Prosharp uses a spinner of their own. My bad.

It's funny I work in the area where the guy that sells the machines is in Toronto and I haven't heard a peep about it.

Seeing as its juts as hard to get a guy doing the FBV and a regular hollow level I have to guess if you have a bent blade I can seeing this being like an FBV and making it worse....

Very confused now........The channels look deep??

How can that be good for a guy that is used to 1 inch???

Sorry it took me long enough to get on the FBV band wagon and knowing the guy at Pro Sharp here..(Great Guy) ....but a little lost. Last time we talked he was going to make a wheel like FBV?

Also there just testing it with players no formal tests done like with FBV?

Sorry it took me long enough to get on the FBV band wagon and knowing the guy at Pro Sharp here..(Great Guy) ....but a little lost. Last time we talked he was going to make a wheel like FBV?

I like the FBV but also have trust and confidence in my sharpener (Bob aka Jimmy). I plan on trying the Z-Channel and see for myself.

Skated on the Z-Channel last night. Can't tell you what setting except for Bob going with what he felt would be closest to the 3/4 FBV that I skate on. First impressions are that the glide is almost identical to that of the FBV and I felt that I had excellent edge control. With one skate I honestly cannot say that it was better, but can say that it was very close to the FBV. While I think the FBV is great the Z-Channel is another option, which is great for us. What will be interesting to see is how it performs in subsequent skates and how many hours I can skate on it before resharpening.

Bottom line is that I'm fortunate to live close enough to Jimmy's shop and have so many options avaialble whether it be regular hollows, FBV, or Z-Channel.

I skated on the Z-channel in a clinic last night. As a point of reference, I used to be on 9/16" to 5/8" on a traditional hollow, moved to 90/75 FBV, now favor 100/50 FBV. I chose the ZC3 setting as the closest equivalent to what I like. I found that the Z channel felt looser on straight glides and didn't grip as much on light pushes, turns, and stops. However, once the blade was tilted more and more pressure was applied, the skates started to bite a lot more. I think, but am not sure, that the reason for this is related to the center channel. It won't really engage until the skate blade is a bit into the ice. The transition from glide to grip was smoother than my FBV, which in turn was smoother than standard ROH.

The one thing that I will have to say is that during clinic drills on backwards crossovers, I was able to generate the same strong ripping noises for both my inside and outside edges, whereas before my outside edges (inside skate) were always weaker strokes from a noise standpoint. Whether I was actually better is still a matter of debate.

When this sharpening wear out, I will try the next grippier setting to see if all this was because I chose the wrong initial setting.

• Like 1

Interesting observation on push offs JCP. Skated in a game last night and I wasn't sure if my first step/acceleration was a bit slower when compared to the FBV setting. I might just go back and forth between the 2 until I can determine if one out does the other. After just 2 skates I'm not all disappointed with the Z-Channel performance so far.

I found the same with light/low speed actions and noticed it every time I lined up for a face off.

didn't grip as much on light pushes, turns, and stops. However, once the blade was tilted more and more pressure was applied, the skates started to bite a lot more.

• Like 1

In the course of my hockey misadventures, I borrowed a set of goalie gear and am giving that a whirl. It would be interesting to see if the Z-channel would work well for this position. Lots of edge when pressured at an angle (butterfly) and little edge when upright without pressure (lateral shuffle). I have an old pair of goalie skates that need a sharpening. Too bad the blades don't come off for a mailing to jimmy. Would the thicker blade work in the machine?

Goalie! Smart move. ;-) Yes, we can do goal skates, but I haven't got around to testing/experimenting with them yet. If you want to give it a free try, send them up but give me a few days. It's a pain in the @$$ to set up and align the machine and going back and forth between regulars and rockets or goal skates is very time consuming. Also there are hundreds of different ZC settings, including 20 channel widths for each hollow setting. We are literally at the crawling stage with testing each one, so if you do try it and don't like something, it can be adjusted just like we did when FBV's were introduced.

Here we go: first Blademaster (those guys seem to have shut up some). Now these folks - Prosharp

http://www.prosharp.ca/editor_upload/111_P...harp%20News.jpg

http://www.prosharp.ca/Know_how.html

I'm sure this is something Blackstone Sports have taken into consideration before bringing the FBV to the market.

Too bad the end users (IMO) are the ones who are going to suffer as all this will require fighting patent infringements.

The price the inventor has to pay for the innovation that does work...

This is revolutionary??? Anyone remember the Perfecta RS2 blades from the late 70's and early 80's? They had a channel cut right down the center of the steel. When sharpened like a regualar skate, it gave almost this identicle result. However, I did see them sharpened by hand with a flat stone like you would a long blade. The problem was that ice would pack up and freeze in the channel, ultimatly resulting in more drag. I wonder if they have compensated for this. I still have a set actually. Interesting to see it reborn...but not revolutionary.

My two cents is the FBV is great technology.

This is revolutionary??? Anyone remember the Perfecta RS2 blades from the late 70's and early 80's? They had a channel cut right down the center of the steel. When sharpened like a regualar skate, it gave almost this identicle result. However, I did see them sharpened by hand with a flat stone like you would a long blade. The problem was that ice would pack up and freeze in the channel, ultimatly resulting in more drag. I wonder if they have compensated for this. I still have a set actually. Interesting to see it reborn...but not revolutionary.

My two cents is the FBV is great technology.

The difference is ZC is not sharpened like a regular skate, the channel width/depth/hollow is adjustable. Was that how the Perfecta was and why did the Perfecta not catch on? Got any pics of your blade, would really like to see it. Feedback from ZC users has been that the speed is incredible, so I don't think "drag" from ice build up is an issue.

Yes, the FBV is great technology, so isn't the ZC. Like the FBV, don't knock it till you try it. Many were sceptical about the FBV as well. Some people like the FBV better, some like hollows better, some like the ZC better. It's just another option.

My thoughts after a couple weeks on ZC:

• You have to be good on your edges
  • They expose any weakness in your skating
    [*}They are fast
  • They are compliant if you trust them

FYI, skating on Step Steel on Graf G7, ZC2 (thinking of trying ZC1.

Hope you're Ok, my wife still isn't the same after our accident. Never should have Settled so early. Sure send them up.

kklinder is right. I you are an accomplished skater, the ZC will work very well for you, and performance can surpass other skate sharpening methods. The more you lean in turns, the better it grabs, and when out of the turn, lots of speed. Not for everyone, but certainly can be a better option for some. We are really still in infancy with this one, just too many settings possible. So, if you don't hit it right first time, making adjustments may require more experimenting than say a FBV, sometimes it's just making the channel wider, but other times a bit more complicated.

kklinder is right. I you are an accomplished skater, the ZC will work very well for you, and performance can surpass other skate sharpening methods. The more you lean in turns, the better it grabs, and when out of the turn, lots of speed. Not for everyone, but certainly can be a better option for some. We are really still in infancy with this one, just too many settings possible. So, if you don't hit it right first time, making adjustments may require more experimenting than say a FBV, sometimes it's just making the channel wider, but other times a bit more complicated.

I use my ZC set for coaching and they sure do make a loud noise when demonstrating edges for drills. I may not be an accomplished skater, but I certainly sound like one. I think the players and other coaches are still baffled as to how I am able to "crunch" the ice with every push off. Games are still on FBV.

Been skating on FBV 90/75 since the beginning of last season with great results. This weekend I'm gonna try out my other set of steel which has ZC-4. I'll report back with a comparison.

The steel itself makes a big difference as well. I went with the Velocity runners and the sharpening lasted at least twice as long, even with dings and edge stripping. Plus the steel is slightly lighter than the regular. It comes polished very shiny so it catches the light when I skate, which makes guys comment on how fast I am in my new flashy blades! :laugh:

The same as watching a body builder dead lifting a huge weight and going out to buy the same straps as him. It's going to be a personal preference on the Z-Chan. Just like any sharpening. Watching a kid skate on it is not a great way to asses such a thing.

The main thing I don't understand is how the channel in the middle is supposed to do anything at all. From a theoretical point of view, how is the z channel sharpening any different from a perfectly flat sharpening? It just seems like a perfectly flat sharpening with some gimmick channel in the middle.

Based on your statement, then we should never ask questions on forums. After all, isn't everything all personal preference, equipment, sharpening, durability, whatever? The question was if anyone had used it a length of time. The kid in the video has been using it for years. That's why I posted it. He was on FBV, but liked the ZC better. In the vid one can see maneuvers possible with the edges, so I think it could give someone a perspective of what it's like.