Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mnpucker

Minnesota State Hockey Tourney

Hey the show has started and so far only one upset. For those of you not aware our state tourney is a pretty big deal in Minnesota. The 2 class tourney started Wednesday with 8 smaller schools playing in the quarters. Some blowouts and uncompetitive hockey due to the traditional structure of the tourney. Yesterday the 8 teams from the big schools played (class AA) and there was only one upset.

Starting at 11am the small schools (class A) begin the semifinal round with games at 11 and 1 pm. The favorite to win is a private school, Breck Academy but you will see some elite level talent on every team. If you take the time I suggest catching the second game. Breck vs Warroad private school vs small town with more hockey history than the rest of the Unitied States combined.

At 6pm and 8 pm the AA semis begin, both games will be very good. The favorite is Minnetonka but Edina and Hill Murray cannot be ruled out of contention.

Next door to Excell Energy center Let's Play Hockey holds their Hockey Expo next door at the convention center. Vendors from every nook and cranny of the hockey biz are on display.

For anyone that has a dream hockey list this is one event hockey fans need to see at least once in their life. Last night the 5,000,000 fan walked through the gates. AA draws 16,000 to 18,000 for every session.

Great event.

Here is the link to live streaning video of the games.

https://45.grandstadium.tv/LandingPages/mngshome.html

(Click on Live events for free streaming)

Games remaining (central time zone)

Class A

Semis

11 am Mahtomedi (small metro school - watch a kid named Marshall WOW) vs Hermantown (Suburb of Duluth MN)

1 pm Breck (Deep and talented should be in AA class returning champs.) vs Warroad (play like their name WARRIORS watch Brock Nelson)

Semis

Class AA (big schools)

6 pm Apple Valley (surprise victory last night goalie played big) over Edina (known as Cake Eaters deep tradition and deep on talent)

8 pm Minnetonka (The best collection of defenders on one team in High school history # 7 wow) over Duluth East (Grey hounds a perennial entry from northern Mn)

Might as well give you everything here is a cool High school hockey site. Great State Tourney guide here.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/

First game ends in OT 7-6 Hermantown one of the all time games in this great tournament. The game was fast, back and forth action every minute. Mahtomedi led the entire game and had a 2 goal lead with 5 to play. Hermantown tied it late. Mahtomedi came back and after review had a goal called off it crossed the line .2 seconds after the final buzzer in regulation. Hermantown was able to spring the wde wing just a few minutes into OT and he went in and finished the game with a sweet deke on the goaltender.

The tournament has been as good as always -- quadruple overtime!! -- but what a sad way for the Class A championship to end. 90 seconds left, the puck is poke checked off of a player's stick, it pops up into the air, hits his glove, and ends up in the back of the net. I hate to see a game end like that. The kids play so well and so hard, and then a fluke like that bursts the bubble. It's not fair to either side. No goat, no hero, just strange, strange fate rearing its ugly head.

psh, that is hockey for you. A bit like the USA/Canada game.. A long game that goes into OT and then all of a sudden it is over.

Edina wins over Minnetonka 4-2. Edina a deep deep that lacks the star power of the last couple years. (Budish @Minnesota, Anders Lee @ Notre Dame, Van Vorhuis @USNDT, Gleason @North Dakota, Marshall Everson @Harvard)

That is a lot of good talent at Edina over the last 2 yrs that could not win it all in the state tourney.

Way to go hornets!

Seemed like the skippers were hurting from the long game the night before. Came out a bit slow and edina was flying. Hornets seemed really well coached, in good position defensively, strong on the forecheck, cutting off passing lanes, shooting and driving to the net...smart and simple game.

Loved that tonka made a game of it though, I really thought they would get one more with the hornets on their heels. Some great saves in the third too.

Nice to see the Hornets win it, though I would love to see Mtka play them with a day's rest after their quad overtime semi. In any case, great game by the Hornets. Such a deep team and so well coached. Hard to not like Curt Giles--I always think of him as a North Star, but forgot that he also played for Duluth.

And speaking of North Stars, how strange to hear the name "Lou Nanne" called during the play by play!

Another great tournament.

I know the Mr. Hockey banquet is today. Has the winner been named yet?

Nice to see the Hornets win it, though I would love to see Mtka play them with a day's rest after their quad overtime semi. In any case, great game by the Hornets. Such a deep team and so well coached. Hard to not like Curt Giles--I always think of him as a North Star, but forgot that he also played for Duluth.

And speaking of North Stars, how strange to hear the name "Lou Nanne" called during the play by play!

Another great tournament.

I know the Mr. Hockey banquet is today. Has the winner been named yet?

Nick Bjugstad of Blaine won this years Mr. Hockey

The weirdest thing was when Lou Nanne talked about how Lou Nanne scored the game tying goal in the previous Edina-Minnetonka matchup.

I'd have to think so, otherwise who would name their kid Lou Nanne :D

Edit: yes

Wcco

The 15-year-old plays for Edina, just like his dad did.

How does grandpa feel about calling his game on live TV?

"I think I'm probably more excited with a grandson than with a son," said the elder Lou Nanne.

And grandpa realizes how fortunate he is to see one of his 11 grandchildren in the tournament.

"I know at home everyone calls him Louie, what are you going to call him on the air?" asked WCCO anchor Frank Vascellaro.

"Nanne," said the elder Lou Nanne. "I don't use first names on the kids too much, so I'll just use Nanne."

Marty Nanne said his father is very superstitious and that makes him cautious.

Lou has apparently also called a state tournament game in which his son was playing. I believe another of his grandsons (who won't bear the name Nanne because he is the son of one of Lou's daughters) will be playing for Minnetonka next year, also. What a dynasty.

I am from EGF so am rooting for TRF. I guess we are on opposite sides on that one. St. Thomas needs to move up to AA.

Went all day Friday with my cousin/linemate. I usually take that day off of work. Our mens league, AHA, who didn't schedule any games on Super Bowl Sunday, scheduled our game that night. I was a little ticked at that. Sucks too, because I could have gone for free, 12 rows up center ice. I heard some tickets for the final were getting scalped for $200+

I'll be there Saturday. My son is skating in the first intermission of the third place game (he's in mini mites here in EP). He is super excited to skate there, he's been telling everyone he's going to skate at the X at the tourney. Since he's skating, we have tickets to both games. We are hoping EP is in one of them.

Greatest tourney in the world.

My predictions Hermantown wins a and Duluth East wins aa. My heart lives in the twin ports!

The equipment show will be great as well. Go hounds, go hawks.

Well Hermantown is a favorite but I think DE would need the assistance of some of the Hermantown players to get by a couple of the AA teams. No offense, I mean I like the City of Duluth too but......

I made it to the expo last year which was cool. I felt a little out of place being an adult without a kid haha. Considering going again to look for deals on sticks.

I'm going to try to make it to the expo before we go to the games on Saturday. I don't remember the last time I went, so it'll be fun.

Interesting CCM/Reebok decided not to go this year to the expo. Its pretty expensive for them to be there, I wonder what next year will look like now that Easton was purchased & CCM isn't there. Its definitely turned into a selling expo. Also seen a lot of non-hockey stuff there the last couple years (Baseball/Lax). If you're looking for some cheap clearance stuff its a great place to go - the local stores tend to sell old or about to be old stuff for pretty cheap. Usually nothing top-end for real inexpensive, but that price point stuff I've seen for half off to get rid of it.

Sad to see East lose. H-town last team standing from the twin ports. Spent the day there it was great. Pumped to play my own game @7am. In my fifties but tomorrow I will play like back in high school.