Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
dangle

Bauer Vapor X:60

Flex: 102

Curve: P92 Non-grip

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 180

Postition: LW/C

Time-frame of use: Since April 2010

Aesthetics: I'm a sucker for black sticks, although graphics have little influence over my decision on a purchase of a new twig. It's a clean, well put together graphics package. I prefer the matte black on the One95's though.

9/10

Weight and Balance: Weight means nothing to me, but this stick felt light in my hands. Balance is key for me and this stick felt blade light for the first several times on the ice but now that I've used it over the course of 4 months, it feels perfectly balanced compared to my One90. The balance really makes this stick feel good in your hands, when you're without the puck the stick feels natural in your mits.

9.5/10

Blade: This is the X:60's achilles heel IMO. The blade is extremely lively, but without great puck "feel". I had a heck of a time coming from the One90 to the X:60 with stick handling. It was like the puck was a ping pong ball, I couldn't feel where it was on my blade or if it was on the blade at all. Over the course of my 4 months of use, I've become accustomed to how the puck feels on the blade, but there are still times when I completely lose track of the puck on my blade. This occurs mostly in high-traffic areas or when I'm fatigued.

In addition, the X:60 blade is also very "lively". Even after 4 months of use, I'm surprised how responsive the blade is. There is no delay in the blade in passing, shooting or stick handling. One-touch passes are crisp, quick and fast. The downside is the "pinginess" that comes with this blade. I don't have great hands and this blade amplifies that because it's so "lively".

5.5/10

Shaft/Flex: I've had troubles in the past playing with a rounded shaft design, but it was a seamless transition to the X:60. I may have to contribute this to a switch in gloves at the same time. As for the flex, I've never had any problems switching between 85 to 100 flex sticks. I happened to pick the X:60 in a 102 flex because of availability. IMO, this stick plays stiffer than advertised. At first, I had to really lean into my snappers to get any flexing of the stick. I've become accustomed to the stiffer feel of the shaft, but if you're hesitant to try a stiffer flex, definitely go with the lower flex on this stick.

9/10

Stickhandling and Passing: Like I stated before, I don't claim to have great hands and this blade makes it hard to really get that finesse while stick handling. I feel this stick has made me become better at stick handling, but it came with about a month of frustration of not being able to stick handle like I could. Even though the blade is pingy, I haven't had major problems receiving passes. I think this is because of my awareness on how lively the blade is and I've magnified my cradling when receiving a pass.

9/10

Shooting: This is where this stick shines. I had an average snapper and slapshot, but I've definitely noticed increased velocity on my snappers. There is no torquing from the shaft or blade whatsoever, and shots absolutely rocket off the blade. This is definitely the best shooting stick I've used. There was a little bit of a learning period when I first used this stick because of the stiffer flex, but it was short lived and I couldn't be happier with how this stick shoots.

10/10

Durability: No loss of stiffness in the shaft and the graphics have hardly any apparent wear. I've taken a few violent hacks from a few "it's game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals" beer leaguers, but other than a few nicks, this stick looks great. I'm definitely impressed with its durability.

10/10

Conclusion: A wonderfully shooting stick with great balance, but not the stick for the stone hands crowd! If i had the choice between the X:60 or One95, I'd have to give the nod to the One95 because puck feel is so important to me. But if you want a shooting stick, hands down, it's all about the X:60.

8.8/10

UPDATE:The stick finally broke at the heel of the blade in May 2011. I had been taking an abnormally high number of slappers/one-timers with it before it broke and think that was the cause of the failure. At one point, I spent the better part of an hour cranking one-timers at different positions on the ice.

My viewpoint hasn't changed on the stick. I'll probably end up cutting the blade off and converting it into a 2 piece

Edited by dangle

Flex: 67

Curve: P92 and p14

Height: 5'6

Weight: 135

Postition: C/RW

Time-frame of use: First stick lasted for 3 months current stick is on 4 months and the limited edition with p14 curve was purchased a week ago

Aesthetics: Well i have had three different versions of this stick first off i recieved the grip version as a warrenty replacement for my one 95 shaft. Then I got a my bauer in the Russian graphics, and finnaly I purchased the limited edition stick recently. All of these sticks I have loved the graphics they are fairly intricate and yet not crazy. Out of all the sticks the limited edition graphics are my favorite the blue they chose just pops and is awesome. The regular stick'um graphics are very nice as well and with the Russian graphics i love the way they incorporate the flag in the design all around a great looking stick however you buy it.

10/10

Weight and Balance: This is by far the lightest stick I have ever used. While being light it doesn't have the problem of being blade heavy as many super light sticks are known to be. It feels perfect in your hands while both stickhandeling and shooting.

9.5/10

Blade: The blade has alot to do with personal preference and at first i was coming from an SE 16 which had a very soft feel and i always knew where the puck was on my stick. This was very differnt. At first I hated the feel of this stick. It was extremely pingy and somewhat hard to control passes. After adjusting after a very long time I have gotten used to the different type of feel. Even when I didn't like the feel though, passing was great with it all of my passes found their target and were crisp.

7.5/10

Shaft/Flex: As I said I was coming from an SE 16 which some of you may know had a pretty square shaft at first I though this would take some getting used to but it was not a problem at all. The shaft feels great in my hands while stick handeling. The flex has stayed strong throughout my entire use of the stick. I have broken these before the shaft seemed to go "dead". Which i was very happy with.

9/10

Stickhandeling/Passing: I have pretty good hands so even when I didn't like the blade at first I was still able to stickhandle pretty well. After getting used to the blade stickhandeling I haven't had any problems. Passing at first and still is a little differnt with this stick. I have noticed if I don't take a pass really well and cradle it properly so to speak it will bounce of the blade more than any other stick I have used. If anything though this has made me focus more on my technique when recieving passes. On the other hand giving passes as I stated before has been very nice with this stick and in that area I don't really have any complaints.

8/10

Shooting: This is my absolute favorite part of the stick. Shooting with this stick is wonderful. It kicks very nicely while still having a quick release. As for the Intelli-Sense shot technology which seems a bit gimmicky I feel there is a small bit of truth to this. I have used both a vapor xxxx which had a nice quick release and a One95 which was great for loading on slapshots. This stick seemed to be the best of both worlds which is basically what Intelli-Sense is supposed to be all about.

10/10

Although I have already broken one of these and i feel the second one is one its way I am very hard on sticks and do break them fairly often. My first X60 lasted for 3 months which wasn't too bad. My second is entering its 4th month of use and I am hearing a odd cracking sound from the blade which is what leads me to believe it is going to break soon. As for how the flex holds up I said before I haven't noticed any loss in flex which was great the flex stayed consistant for as long as the stick survived. The graphics also stay intact very well ecspecially considering I get slashed ALOT. This was also great because coming from an SE 16 the graphics on that came off very quick which was one of my minor complaints about that stick.

7.5/10

Conclusion: This has been one of the best sticks I have ever used. Although if you are coming from a stick with a softer feel this stick will take alot of getting used but it wasn't too bad. If you are a shooter though this is definantly the stick for you, the kick is amazing. As for those who freak out about weight than you will also be very pleased with this stick. All in all it has been a great stick and I recommend picking one up if given the opportunity

8.5/10

Flex: 87

Curve: P92 grip

Height: 5'8

Weight: 184

Postition:Defense

Time-frame of use:October to April

Aesthetics: I was really happy with the new design of the vapor stick. I really didn't like the design of the Vapor XXXX stick(And lower end models on line). For me, it was way too much, didn't need to be complex. Love this stick design, clean and simple. 10/10

Weight and Balance: This is probably the lightest stick I've ever used. It's listed at 430 grams, but in my opinion is a lot lighter. Mainly because the stick has phenomenal balance. It feels very good, not shaft or blade heavy. It was a little difficult for me to get used to the weight, but that shouldn't be a problem for others(I used to like heavy sticks).

10/10

Blade: The blade was very crisp and very lively. For me, it was a little different. Not really in a good or bad way. I had come of a One 95 and loved the wood feel, so it took a bit of time getting used to. Nevertheless, it got much better shortly, handling felt very nice, I found myself doing a bit better with my handling(stone hands here). The blade was durable, and had no chips, mainly skate scratches(a lot) yet still held up.

8.5/10

Shaft/Flex: I really liked the rounded shaft shape of the X:60. Typically, I'm used to the sort of squarish feel, but this felt quite comfortable in my hands. It seems to fit right in. Using 87 flex, as usual, a bit different from my One 95. Couldn't really load up as I usually did.(More on shooting). But it felt great and all, so no complaints.

9/10

Stickhandling and Passing: My stickhandling improved quite a bit, albeit that I'm a defencemen, and dangling isn't exactly my forte. When I think stickhandling and passing, I want a stick that lets me feel my passes, feel the puck. The stick did just that. The blade is quite lively and even pingy, but it didn't hinder anything. I really liked the crisp feel as opposed to the One 95. 8.5/10

Shooting: I was quite happy with the shooting of this blade. The dual kickpoints really let me get the best of both worlds. I felt it the first night I used it, doing shooting drills. It had the quick release of a low kick stick, yet I could still take good slapshots. However, I really missed how I couldn't load up into the stick like with the One 95. I loved being able to put all my weight into it. However, I quickly forgot and all was forgiven.

10/10

Durability: Well, it broke to a tomahawk slash..but until then, it held up strong. No grip peeling, no scratches. The bottom of my stick wasn't as beat up as I thought it would be as I progressed through the season. The blade was in primo condition, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

9/10

Conclusion: A fantastic stick, Bauer outdid itself. However, after it broke it was at the time of the recall so I went back to using One 95's. I'd gladly use the X:60 any day though, as I commonly trade off sticks with my friends for shifts at practice and shinny(He's got a 60). Wouldn't hesitate to buy the stick again either.

9/10

Flex: 87

Curve: PM9 Non-Grip

Height: 5'5

Weight: 155

Postition:Defense

Time-frame of use: November 09 - Current

Aesthetics: A very sleek looking stick that isn't overly loud in appearence. one feature i really like is the ability to see the layered graphite/carbon overlay pattern where there isn't graphics. Unlike most one-piece sticks, the graphics seem to stay on a lot longer vs chipping and peeling.

Weight and Balance: one of the better balanced sticks i've ever used and very light. slightly cut down, the weight is closer to 420 grams. Bauer has done a nice job shaving weight by rounding the corners and making a thinner feel shaft. this could be a plus or negative given how you like the feel.

9/10

Blade: as a pro roller hockey player - this is hands down the best one-piece blade. From November 6, 2009 till now (October 10, 2010), the blade has no chipping, cracking, or uneven wear. Puck still jumps off this blade and has that nice loud sound when you shoot or receive a pass. stick has been used in every game and practice over this time period.

10/10

Shaft/Flex: Rounded shaft is different compared to what's out there; from comparing it with the grip version, the grip does has more of a thicker feel. The non-grip version is a little slicker because of the rounded shaft; less surface area for your glove. Stick overall is very responsive - shooting many different ways you can really feel the kickpoint loading and unloading.

9/10

Stickhandling and Passing: Stickhandling with a lighter stick always helps as it provides a good feel for the puck. i feel that the curve is more relavant to stickhandling and passing more so than the stick/shaft. PM9 has been a happy medium between eveything out there when you take curve and lie into consideration. stickhandling is obviously not as advantageous with a sraighter blade (unless your name is Sid Crosby).

Shooting: Great stick for "..letting the stick to the work". Loading for one timers and slappers is easy as long as you follow through. Wristers and snappers really jump off the blade. Because you can feel the puck so well, you can almost get a quicker release. I've been very impressed with the performance over time. Shot speed and power feel the same as when i first bought the stick.

10/10

Durability: for as much as i play, this has been the best stick i've used. performance and longevity wise. 20+ pro level games, mens league, practices, and even open hockey. maybe it's just luck -- but the stick has endured much punishment and is still going..

10/10

Conclusion: would buy the stick again in a heartbeat, would buy the grip version insyead, would maybe go to a more agressive curve based on my playing style. definitely a stick that provides aweesome return considering you're paying top dollar for it.

10/10

Bauer Vapor X:60 Grip

Flex: 102

Curve: P88 Kane

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 210

Postition: Defense

Time-frame of use: Mid November - present

Aesthetics: Visually I prefer the non-grip version with less white accents, but aesthetics were not the main driving factor of the purchase, finding the stick that met the specs I was looking for was. However, I still like the look and find the graphics to be less obtrusive than offerings from some other brands, a pretty clean design overall. 8/10

Weight and Balance: In terms of overall weight the stick is noticeably very light when handled. Sticks are getting to be so light that the fact that one is 25 grams lighter than another is not a huge factor in my decision making when selecting a stick. The balance of the stick seemed a bit light in the blade after using vapor x:40's and some short lived experimentation with a warrior dolomite, and One95. I chalked this up to just a slight difference in balance, and it was minor enough to where the stick still felt natural. After some use I've actually grown to like the balance of the stick, in comparison to those I've used previously. 9/10

Blade: I'd have to agree with the other reviews in that the blade is on the lively side. It was a quick adjustment for me to get used to, but depending on what stick was used before the x:60 it could seem extremely different. Overall feel is not the best of any stick I've used, but I think this could be related to factors to be discussed in the next two sections. 7/10

Shaft/Flex: I like both the rounded shaft shape and the grip used on the x:60, and both were actually a requirement as I set out to find a model to replace the x:40's I felt I was breaking too frequently. Like one of the other reviews I found the x:60 to seem quite a bit stiffer than the lower end vapor x:40 model of the same flex. I think this increase in stiffness from what I am used to, adversely affected the blade feel and ability to receive passes with the stick. 7.5/10

Stickhandling and Passing: Being a stay at home defenseman, perhaps my stickhandling abilities are not at the level of the real danglers on the site. With that said, I don't find any of the factors with the blade or stiffer shaft to hinder my stickhandling or ability to make passes with the x:60. Pass reception on the other hand requires special care and a conscious effort to exaggerate the cradling motion required to keep the puck under control. 8/10

Shooting: Great shooting stick! With the slightly stiffer feel slapshots shine. For wristshots and snapshots I'd likely prefer a slightly softer flex, however, I fear the drop down to an 87 flex would be too much. Not having used an 87 it is difficult to say, but given my style of play given the trade-offs I’d likely stay with my original choice of the stiffer flex.

9/10

Durability: So far so good. I haven’t noticed the stick getting any softer or whippier as I have with lower vapors and some other models. Grip and graphics seem to be holding up well too.

10/10

Conclusion: A wonderful shooting stick, that lacks a bit in the blade feel department. For me it’s a toss up between the x:60 and one95, but prefer the lower kickpoint of the vapor, so if I were to break both I think another x:60 would be the replacement.

8.5/10