Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jsmells

Shops in Southeast Michigan

Hi Everyone, I've been getting tired of going to Perani's for most of my equipment so does anyone have any good shops in southeast michigan? What shops do you frequent and which ones have a decent selection?

There is a little shop here in westland on the corner of middlebelt & joy rd. It's called D&D, it's ok but not great. It used to be the old ACE hockey store.

The Penalty Box Pro Shop in the Ice Box just got Flat Bottom V, but they dont have a very large selection of equipment; unless if you're looking for anything Sherwood.

Roy @ The Penalty Box is the guy to see downriver for equipment. Last time I was in there, he could order me pretty much whatever I wanted. Been going to him since he was on Biddle in Wyandotte.

He used to work @ Ace in Westland. Haven't been to Ace in a few years though.

Peranis in Livonia isn't bad. Dave is the old manager of the Taylor store and is pretty much the only one who knows what he's doing. That is my experience, ymmv.

I'll bump this: where do you guys go to get equipment? The last few times I've been to the big Perani's in Livonia, I've noticed that their player protective equipment selection is pretty paltry, though everything else seems pretty nicely stocked.

Also, what about skate sharpenings?

I'll bump this: where do you guys go to get equipment? The last few times I've been to the big Perani's in Livonia, I've noticed that their player protective equipment selection is pretty paltry, though everything else seems pretty nicely stocked.

There's kid in ann arbor that does FBV skate sharpening out of his garage for $5. He does a pretty good job. You can find him through the blackstone website.

As for gear, I only by equipment from the local team sales (UM, MSU, Whalers, Team USA, etc) when they happen. Lots of great equipment for dirt cheap.

There's kid in ann arbor that does FBV skate sharpening out of his garage for $5. He does a pretty good job. You can find him through the blackstone website.

As for gear, I only by equipment from the local team sales (UM, MSU, Whalers, Team USA, etc) when they happen. Lots of great equipment for dirt cheap.

Dude, I never thought about FBV. Does it work well?

Team sales have nice deals, but obviously the selection isn't the best...

Selection Livonia Perani's would be the best. The Ice Box in Brownstown is probably the best and most consistent sharpening I've gotten Perani's is usually hit or miss.

Do you know when the next team sales are? Been trying to find some dates but can't find anything :/

Do you know when the next team sales are? Been trying to find some dates but can't find anything :/

Probably not for awhile? All the teams are still using their equipment so...

Anyone have a suggestion for a good Bauer custom fitter in SE Michigan? Should be home visiting my parents this summer (Ann Arbor) and might treat myself to some custom skates... but want to go to someone who knows what they are doing.

For skate sharpenings, now that College Shoe Repair has closed, I'm going to the new place that just opened on West Stadium, in Ann Arbor, called Advantage Sports. GB Sports relocated there and they're doing the skate sharpening. I've had mine done there recently and they did a great job!

For skate sharpenings, now that College Shoe Repair has closed, I'm going to the new place that just opened on West Stadium, in Ann Arbor, called Advantage Sports. GB Sports relocated there and they're doing the skate sharpening. I've had mine done there recently and they did a great job!

College Shoe Repair is closed? (Also, the sharpened skates?)

Back when I was goalieing I used to go to ProSkate (or something) in Canton. Now that I'm skating out, I wanna try that FBV guy in AA, but his machine broke so I'm waiting for him to fix it.

GB Sports relocated there and they're doing the skate sharpening. I've had mine done there recently and they did a great job!

Not only that, but Pat Brown (College Shoe owner) is working there as well (I believe as a manager) and also sharpening skates.

College Shoe Repair is closed? (Also, the sharpened skates?)

Back when I was goalieing I used to go to ProSkate (or something) in Canton. Now that I'm skating out, I wanna try that FBV guy in AA, but his machine broke so I'm waiting for him to fix it.

Yeah, they closed up shop just before the New Year. It was sad to see them go. But hey, at least a new, local shop opened up. They don't have a lot of stuff there yet, mostly tape and the like, and stuff from Harrow. It'll be cool if they keep getting in more stuff from more manufacturers.

The best shops in SE MI.

Skate sharpening: Skateworks; Troy, MI. 17 & John R.

Gear, to buy, new: Perani's is usually the best bet, but I find that going over the border a couple miles to Brian's is good too, if you need something specific, like repalming gloves and getting fitted with skates (very good at this. B&R is good too, but I find they are not really in it to help the general public....meaning, your just a number.

Gear, to buy, used: Especially for detroit metro area, CRAIGSLIST. LOL

When I played aaa in detroit, I always felt I was getting screwed by peranis. They never had the right shit, and they always had college kids working their who assumed they new everything when most of the time they were adult beginner players.

If you want to stay in the us, shop at peranis wisely. The one in sterling heights isnt bad. Stay away from band r they suck. The best skat shop is SKATE WORKS IN TROY OFF ROCHESTER ROAD AND BIG BEAVER. ASK FOR THE OLD LOOKING GUY HE DOES A REALLY GOOD JOB.

For all my other purchases, I went across the boarder in windsor to BRIANS SKATE SHOP. Joe jr and Joe sr have professionally fit almost every single red wings player, including sergei federov and stevie y. They have great prices on all skates and every purchase comes with a free custom fitting. And the always a huge selection on sticks and all equipment. Plus when you buy from these guys, YOU KNOW they know what they're doing. They are off tecumseh road in downtown windsor. I got an x60 stick their for 190 instead of at peranis where it was 229. GO TO BRIANS SKATE SHOP IN WINDSOR BEST PLACE IN DETROIT AREA.

Loved dealing with both those shops when I was in MI. Both, being overrated.

SkateWorks was your typical M-E shop. Lots of sizzle, no steak. A "custom" radius was always 9/16" ROH, and 9' radius. Earl went as far as to print the tags ahead of time - yep, they were pre-printed!

Brian's, well, that was truly special. You either got a Graf boot, or an Easton boot...and you'd get a stock Superfeet insole, he'd make a bunch of markings on it, then he'll wedge in a piece of foam in the arch and call it a custom shim, and had you believe that every NHL team would send their players there while they were paying an equipment manager high 5 figures. Most people had to rip them out so that you can skate in them again.

Really liked what they did with the Livonia Peranis; haven't been to Sterling Hgts; I do know that my former co-worker runs it, and he's a good dude.

B&R...I'll stay quiet on that one. However, still one of the best-merchandised stores I've ever set foot in, let alone worked.

The fact is, these shops made you feel special by giving you "special" service, but it was the EXACT SAME THING they did for EVERYONE. And last time I checked...everyone is not the same.

Update on Advantage Sports in Ann Arbor. They are money for a good skate sharpening, but they still only have a spattering of gear from Harrow, and a lot of basic accessories. It sounds like they are struggling to certified by any of the major brands. Kinda sucks, but with Peranis nearby, who knows...

College Shoe Repair would've been the joint, but they're now closed. Better off sending them to Peaches Pro Repair.

My dad told me Pat Brown (College Shoe) moved his equipment over to Advantage Sports (the old Big Georges building in A2)... so he should still be able to do a glove re-palming,

B&R Sports is commited to customer service, and always have the latest and greatest gear to shop from, along with previous year models at great prices. B&R in Troy Sports Center has great management, great selection, and great deals. Also, they do great jobs on sharpening. They also have the Blademaster Flat-Bottom System. I have not noticed the BFD and FBV difference.