Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Lee-Bro

OEM and Hockeytron

I think most problem with Tron and people is that most people believe in the "our stuff is top of the line stuff!" For the price range at where they are at, I wouldn't mind tossing a few bones to try out their stick or their wheels and such. I ordered a pair of their skates just so I can get back into skating and can't warrant dropping a lot on just going in a circle skates. Do I think they implant people to give them "10/10" reviews, yes I do, but I think with the gear I do have from them "wheels, jersey, visor, a stick and now ice skates" I'm content. Now ask me if I would use all that stuff in a serious game, no. Thats why I have them as back ups or to tear up.

If they just said "our stuff does the job for beer leaguers looking to save a few bucks", and didn't try to clone actual top of the line graphics, nobody would care. But... that's not what they do.

I know most everything that can be said about this topic has been said. Admittedly I skipped about 9 pages of the thread, so sorry if I'm restating what anyone else has said. To respond to a few of the general principles brought up:

Regarding the music to hockey comparisons: first of all, brand loyalty is not nearly as dominant in music circles as I've seen in hockey circles. Reasons are twofold: first, whatever gets the job done well is what good musicians seek. For example, when looking for a new bow, I looked at both high end bows ($1,000 - 2,000) and low end bows ($250-900). While the high end bows were of great quality, they didn't produce the desired effect with my specific bass that one of the low end bows did, thus I settled on the lower end bow. This is because I'm finding something that fits my style and produces the result I want with my bass. This would be most similar to shopping specifically for sticks I guess, since they should be purchased according to preference and style of play. However, expensive sticks do offer some construction/materials advantages to lower end models (weight, assumed durability, structural design, innovations included, etc.), whereas musical bows typically don't offer new features or anything objectively better in terms of performance, since it's entirely based on your preference with it. Typically luthier names dictate price, and also materials that don't affect function, (mother of pearl inlays, special wood for the frog, high end grip leather). All of this is to say that musicians select based upon how something fits their style of playing and works with their other equipment; I don't choose a hockey stick based on how it interacts and influences my skates, or its effects upon my shin guards. Back to branding, only brass instruments, acoustic guitars, and grand pianos have dominant brands that mass-produce, (Taylor, Martin, Steinway & Sons, Bosendorfer, Jupiter, Yamaha). In hockey, every piece of gear has its own major brand, because hockey is small in the scope of its market compared to music, so room for competition is limited.

Furthermore, when selecting something for my musical setup, I select for how it fits within my aesthetic/biomechanical preferences. When choosing hockey gear, preference helps me decide which model or line I'm selecting, but my primary concern on the ice is protection. I didn't choose a Samuel Shen carved bass because it ensured my wife a future with progeny, my winning smile, or my cognitive functioning, (not that there's much of the latter two in the first place); I chose it because the sound quality fit my desires. When I chose my Nexus 1000 pants and 8000 shins, I knew exactly why I chose them: when I block a puck, fall on my ass, or am hacked to high heaven, I'd like to trust that the aftereffects will be inconsequential and fleeting. So spending more on a top brand makes me feel safe, knowing that quality control, limited warranties, and reputation are (hopefully) honored and valued. Would I like to save a buck by getting cheaper pants? Of course! Unlike my instrument choices though, the decision I make when selecting hockey gear can adversely affect me for the rest of my life.

Finally, with music instruments and gear, musicians typically get to try out instruments before they purchase anything. Oftentimes this process is extensive and tasking. I've spent 10 hours in a music store, testing everything I could with 7 different basses, just to decide that I would come back in a month to see their new consignments. Spent twice as long as that looking for a new bow. Tried out 4 basses just to see which strings gave me a preferential deep, slightly closed/muted tone. With hockey gear, I don't typically have the opportunity to experiment with every bit of gear to the extent I'd like. Sure, Bauer has its new model for this in two locations, but that only offers the chance to demo THEIR gear, and in select locations. I live 45 minutes outside of L.A. The only pro shop within 40 miles typically has 2 pieces of equipment that fit me to try on, but not test or demo at all. As such, when I inevitably order online due to greater selection and variety, it requires sticking to trusted, reputable brands rather than experimenting with something that's cheaper and has a great description. Furthermore, my wife asks me about every dime I'm spending on hockey, ensuring that it's useful and practical; I only have the financial liberty to buy one set of gear and wear it until it falls apart while on the ice and I'm skating in my skivvies. There isn't much margin for me to purchase additional "clone" or "up and coming" company's gear, while still having my perfectly good name-brand gear for if/when the experiment fails. As such, experimenting isn't even an option due to fiscal practicality.

Sorry for the enormous post on a thread started 5 years ago, but I just wanted to offer the perspective from someone who knows both markets (hockey and music), and lives/plays hockey in an area with extremely limited options and has a strict budget on gear/ice time expenditures.

• Like 1

I've owned a bunch of stuff from Hockey Tron. Most of the products are hit or miss. Tron has some great deals from time to time. I purchased Tackla 1051 shoulder pads and Tackla 2440  long pants for a great deal a couple years back. They had Bauer HDO shields a while back also for a good price. I've tried some of their sticks. I liked a stick they had called Elite Anchor, but they don't make it any more. I would buy that stick if they still made it. The 405 stick was't bad either. I found their socks tend to not last long, maybe a season, but I bought them on clearance for less than $5.  The visor was a good deal, but after a nasty high stick I've since went to a CCM 580 white cage. I bought 1 bag 2 years ago and hated the straps. The zipper on the bag broke after 6 months of use. Like everyone else said, not a well made bag. Tron has made a few jerseys for my tourney team and the price is great. The only problem is the V neck is way too long.  I don't think I would ever buy their helmets or skates. Around 5 years ago I bought Tron shoulder, shins, and elbow pads for real short money, like $12 a piece. The shins didn't have the calf protection I liked. The shoulders were very protective, but super heavy. The elbow pads velcro stitching came loose after a season.  Like I said it's hit or miss. I'll still get my tourney jerseys from them and I'll still buy their sticks from time to time. I break too many sticks to pay $200+ so when Tron has a deal I usually grab a couple twigs. I check their clearance section weekly, as well as Perani's, etc. Just another place that from time to time has a great deal in my opinion. 

I guess it is hit or miss. I don't own, nor have I seen a lot of their product in person.  However, their socks (not sure of model#) have been great for my team(s).

Aesthetically, I'm not an overly huge fan on the "Tron" logo right below the knee. Performance-wise they have been every bit as good as any retail sock I've bought from Bauer, Inaria, or Reebok. 

Most of the time, they can be had for like 11.00 a pop.  I like the velcro tabs better on the Tron socks over any of the brands I previously listed.  They've lasted just as long if not longer too. 

While I think the logo/branding of some things like their sticks is kinda lame.  They have some good deals once in awhile, and while I guess I'm in the minority, I really like the socks (as do all my teammates).

That's shocking to me. Since Tron is literally down the street from our rink, you see a LOT of Tron in the beer leagues here. The bags always have rips and broken zippers, and the socks always have big holes in them. 

There is a very noticeable difference between the Tron and the RBK socks in terms of weight and thickness.

Great, I just picked up one of their bags...  $17 down the drain?  :biggrin:  I guess we'll see.  I have a few of their sticks as well (Hespeler) that are pretty good, I use them in the backyard with my son on our shooting tiles.  But I am just a novice, so what the heck do I know?  I really just look for those killer deals and make sure I am trying their stuff at a price reasonable for my needs.  I think the sticks I picked up were like $15 each.  The bag was less than $20.  Knit socks... $3.  If it sucks, at least it isn't a big investment.  If it is halfway decent, it is a deal.

22 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

If it sucks, at least it isn't a big investment.  If it is halfway decent, it is a deal.

Hah. Yea, that's exactly the attitude most people with Tron stuff tend to use around here. I guess it's not wrong, but I dunno. 

3 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

That's shocking to me. Since Tron is literally down the street from our rink, you see a LOT of Tron in the beer leagues here. The bags always have rips and broken zippers, and the socks always have big holes in them. 

There is a very noticeable difference between the Tron and the RBK socks in terms of weight and thickness.

huh, i've been using the same tron (poly blend) socks since November with no holes at all.   and i'm playing 2 or 3 nights a week.   trick is, to NOT fall  and slide :D 

and when i tape up, i cover the tron logo.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

huh, i've been using the same tron (poly blend) socks since November with no holes at all.   and i'm playing 2 or 3 nights a week.   trick is, to NOT fall  and slide :D 

and when i tape up, i cover the tron logo.  

Well that's awesome, though I'm not going to let one piece of anecdotal evidence sway me after seeing a ton of hole-filled tron socks and bags. Like I said, Tron is local, so I see a LOT of their gear in the locker rooms here. 

15 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

Well that's awesome, though I'm not going to let one piece of anecdotal evidence sway me after seeing a ton of hole-filled tron socks and bags. Like I said, Tron is local, so I see a LOT of their gear in the locker rooms here. 

i too have seen tron stuff falling apart in the dressing rooms as well, and i'm surprised to see how well my socks are actually holding up. i stumbled across them for like 7 bucks, and they were black, so they fit the bill.  i always say i'll upgrade when these get a hole... but i'm still waiting.   

i'm inclined to think Tron runs a lot of there merch from a "ghost shift" from other manufactures.  

heres a story about NB sneakers:

http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/05/01/8375455/index.htm

this is REALLY common overseas.  just google "ghost shift products" for more.

51 minutes ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

i too have seen tron stuff falling apart in the dressing rooms as well, and i'm surprised to see how well my socks are actually holding up. i stumbled across them for like 7 bucks, and they were black, so they fit the bill.  i always say i'll upgrade when these get a hole... but i'm still waiting.   

i'm inclined to think Tron runs a lot of there merch from a "ghost shift" from other manufactures.  

heres a story about NB sneakers:

http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/05/01/8375455/index.htm

this is REALLY common overseas.  just google "ghost shift products" for more.

Go to aliexpress.com and look up hockey helmets. You'll find Trons exact model (at least as of last year, the last time I looked).

I think a lot of the success of companies like Tron and All Black Hockey comes from the fact that people believe they are getting "ghost shift" sticks. They imply just enough with similar paint jobs and tech descriptions, and consumers connect the dots. 

A lot of people want to believe they have some sort of connection to get a top end new model stick for $100 or whatever. They like the idea of getting a deal as much as they like having a good stick, and the concept of a vaguely shady deal makes it all the more intriguing. 

I am a novice beer-leaguer inline player, so I stumbled across Tron when I first started because I couldn't justify spending a lot of money on a crap player like myself. It has been a few years now, I have improved my game a little, and I can whole-heartedly recommend their gloves and inline pants. The gloves still look like new and the pants are by far the best, most comfortable pair I have owned. Stay far, far away from their inline skates, and probably their pads as well. I have a pair of the Tron-X elbow pads (Tron-X is their top end gear that they compare against other companies' gear that costs twice as much) that fell apart after a month. I sent them photos and they sent me another set in a day, and I live in Ohio. So their customer service is pretty good and they stand behind their products, You just have to know which products of theirs are worth getting.

Their Tron-X skates were junk. They completely fell apart after about 9 months of normal use. I only play about twice a week and I am 5' 7" and 170 lbs, so I am not putting a hell of a lot of strain on them. Again, I sent them photos and explained my usage and they offered me a new pair for $50 or 40% off any pair of Alkali's. I went with the Alkali's and haven't looked back.  The Crew + are really good skates.

I also have a Tron helmet. I think it is a different model than what they have now, but other than having to glue in the pads on the inside after they fell out I like it a lot. It is comfortable. But ultimately I bought most of their stuff from the clearance page for very little money, so even though there have been a few misses I have no regrets when my $12 pair of elbow pads gets a tear. I just tape it back together, keep playing, and use the money I saved on more important things like beer at the bar between games.

On 5/27/2016 at 11:53 AM, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

That's what they would like you to believe. Usually the materials used aren't even close. 

"70% off NHL Caliber DR Shoulder, Shin - Elbow Pads & Gloves"

NHL caliber, eh? Why don't they just say "our stuff is cheap enough that you don't care that it's junk" in their marketing? It would be a lot less ridiculous.

Generic quality gear for cheap would be awesome as that would put better gear on underprivileged kids and leave more money for more ice time for the ones that can get flashy crap, but find it wasteful. We all, especially us in USA, need to concentrate on making hockey more available, more affordable, and ultimately, more desirable. This is the only way to grow the sport and the industry that supports it 

I grabbed a DJPro jersey off of hockeytron for dirt cheap a few months back and have been skating in it for some pickup and even league games lately and I have to say I love this freaking jersey.  Fight strap keeps the jersey from riding up in the back, it has a nice amount of stretchiness to it, fairly good mid- to heavy- weight fabric.  Looks and feels pretty darn nice and has held up well so far.

Thinking about picking up another one tonight as they are down to $9 now and supplies are dwindling.

13 hours ago, gerbe3:16 said:

I grabbed a DJPro jersey off of hockeytron for dirt cheap a few months back and have been skating in it for some pickup and even league games lately and I have to say I love this freaking jersey.  Fight strap keeps the jersey from riding up in the back, it has a nice amount of stretchiness to it, fairly good mid- to heavy- weight fabric.  Looks and feels pretty darn nice and has held up well so far.

Thinking about picking up another one tonight as they are down to $9 now and supplies are dwindling.

Interesting, I'll have to look into these.  How does the sizing run... True, large, or small?