Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

5/15/18 - Got a chance to check out the Visium 2 today, so I figured I'd throw in my .02

The sizing is still the same as prior Alkali lines as far as I can tell given I was an 8.5 in prior models and 8.5 fits me in these. These are not "high-end" skates, but are instead an appropriately built $300 skate as far as my experiences go. I have been out of the game for the last five years due to a bad shoulder separation and a worse marriage, so my most recent experiences with skates at this price point are the Revision Vanquish, Reebok 9k (2012 white, 4x80mm model) and Mission Assassin/Assassin SE. Relative to all those skates it's in the ballpark in overall build quality.

This boot is softer around the upper cuff and eyelets, but has reasonably good stiffness through the heel and ankle area. It feels the way the CCM Ribcore ice boots do where it will probably mold to a decent variety of feet and be comfortable, but it is a softer style of boot compared to the prior Visium model with the Purlyn quarters. The only reason I didn't pick up the pair today is due to the left skate having the chassis mounted about 30 degrees toe in from where it should be, so I'm waiting for the shop to get another pair transferred in for me.

Edit 5/17/18 - Went back to Monkey Sports today to pick up the pair ordered and once again the left skate is mounted toe in to a significant degree. Not as bad as the first but still pretty bad. It's really unfortunate, the overall package is a good bang for the buck skate, but having the exact same qc issue from two pairs that were out in distribution (one came from a Texas store, the other from a Boston store) has put me off from wanting to get into this line of skates. Hopefully things get sorted out for Alkali, I'd love to support the brand but they have to get basic issues like this sorted out pretty quickly.  

Edited by sdcopp

Looking forward for advice.  What is the RPD team+ like as a skate? Is it comparable to the original rpd Max in terms of fit and stiffness? I ask as I assume it is similar materials. 

On 5/16/2018 at 12:18 AM, sdcopp said:

5/15/18 - Got a chance to check out the Visium 2 today, so I figured I'd throw in my .02

The sizing is still the same as prior Alkali lines as far as I can tell given I was an 8.5 in prior models and 8.5 fits me in these. These are not "high-end" skates, but are instead an appropriately built $300 skate as far as my experiences go. I have been out of the game for the last five years due to a bad shoulder separation and a worse marriage, so my most recent experiences with skates at this price point are the Revision Vanquish, Reebok 9k (2012 white, 4x80mm model) and Mission Assassin/Assassin SE. Relative to all those skates it's in the ballpark in overall build quality.

This boot is softer around the upper cuff and eyelets, but has reasonably good stiffness through the heel and ankle area. It feels the way the CCM Ribcore ice boots do where it will probably mold to a decent variety of feet and be comfortable, but it is a softer style of boot compared to the prior Visium model with the Purlyn quarters. The only reason I didn't pick up the pair today is due to the left skate having the chassis mounted about 30 degrees toe in from where it should be, so I'm waiting for the shop to get another pair transferred in for me.

Edit 5/17/18 - Went back to Monkey Sports today to pick up the pair ordered and once again the left skate is mounted toe in to a significant degree. Not as bad as the first but still pretty bad. It's really unfortunate, the overall package is a good bang for the buck skate, but having the exact same qc issue from two pairs that were out in distribution (one came from a Texas store, the other from a Boston store) has put me off from wanting to get into this line of skates. Hopefully things get sorted out for Alkali, I'd love to support the brand but they have to get basic issues like this sorted out pretty quickly.  

Having bought a pair of RPD Shifts a few weeks ago and skated on them a few times, I have had an issue with my skating I couldn't put my finger on. Having examined the boots, the left chassis is mounted squint, toe in. It is a significant misalignment in comparison to the properly aligned right skate.

Having read the quoted post above, I am disappointed by this. I have further seen a post on Instagram with the same issue on an older model. All seems to be the left skate.

Surely a brand has to do better in terms of quality control. Won't be buying Alkali again. Will stick to Bauer. Lesson learned.

Edited by Knights15

Anyone have experience with the RPD MAx+ and RPE Zenith+. I am having problems determining which is a more top end/better skate. They are both available for a similar price. 

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks, 

Both boots are top end, but the RPE Zenith+ is wider than the RPD Max+. The Max+ does have a magnesium chassis vs. the extruded aluminum chassis on the Zenith+, but in my opinion that's a minor upgrade. The key difference is the last - if you usually need EE or wide ice skates or shoes you probably want the RPE Zenith+ and if you have an average width foot then you should go with the RPD Max+.

1 hour ago, althoma1 said:

Both boots are top end, but the RPE Zenith+ is wider than the RPD Max+. The Max+ does have a magnesium chassis vs. the extruded aluminum chassis on the Zenith+, but in my opinion that's a minor upgrade. The key difference is the last - if you usually need EE or wide ice skates or shoes you probably want the RPE Zenith+ and if you have an average width foot then you should go with the RPD Max+.

Frames aren't a concern, I'm going to put sprungs on them anyway. I currently have the RPD Max (top of their line from about 4 to 5 years ago). So is the RPD Max+ similar in width to those, and the Zenith is wider?

Thanks,  

55 minutes ago, Bane said:

Frames aren't a concern, I'm going to put sprungs on them anyway. I currently have the RPD Max (top of their line from about 4 to 5 years ago). So is the RPD Max+ similar in width to those, and the Zenith is wider?

Thanks,  

Yes, the Max+ will be similar to the old Max. If you're happy with the fit of your current skates then stick with the RPD Max+ skates. If they felt too narrow or you had to get the punched then go with the RPE Zenith+.

Haven't skate dinline in years, and just picked up a pair of lightly used RPD Comp + to work out this summer with my son.  It's just the boot and chassis.  Could anyone confirm wheel size is 80mm? Also, I'll need bearings, spacers and cross bolts correct?   Lastly, I'll be skating primarily on our asphalt driveway (fairly smooth, 2 years old) but hope to get over to an outdoor rink with sportcourt a couple times  a week. Is there a wheel hardness that will work well on both? looking to avoid swapping two sets worth of skate wheels multiple times  a week. Thanks   

Yes, the Alkali adult sizes use all 80mm wheels.

There is no wheel that will work well on both asphalt and Sport Court. You'll ruin Sport Court wheels on asphalt (they'll wear down really quickly) and any wheels meant for asphalt will be too slippery for Sport Court. I'd just get some super cheap outdoor wheels for skating in the driveway along with some cheap bearings. For Sport Court, Yellow Labeda Grippers are a good budget option or if you want the best wheels I'd recommend Konixx Pure's (+2 hardness for someone your size). I would get a second set of cheap bearings and a second set of spacers for the Sport Court wheels; it makes changing over from asphalt to Sport Court wheels much faster (you should be able to make the swap in less than 10 minutes if you don't have to change the bearings and spacers).

These should be the axles you need if your boots didn't come with them: https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Alkali_Roller_Hockey_Wheel_Axles_/descpage-ALWA.html

These would be the spacers: https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Alkali_Hockey_Bearing_Spacers/descpage-ABSP.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Yes, the Alkali adult sizes use all 80mm wheels.

There is no wheel that will work well on both asphalt and Sport Court. You'll ruin Sport Court wheels on asphalt (they'll wear down really quickly) and any wheels meant for asphalt will be too slippery for Sport Court. I'd just get some super cheap outdoor wheels for skating in the driveway along with some cheap bearings. For Sport Court, Yellow Labeda Grippers are a good budget option or if you want the best wheels I'd recommend Konixx Pure's (+2 hardness for someone your size). I would get a second set of cheap bearings and a second set of spacers for the Sport Court wheels; it makes changing over from asphalt to Sport Court wheels much faster (you should be able to make the swap in less than 10 minutes if you don't have to change the bearings and spacers).

These should be the axles you need if your boots didn't come with them: https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Alkali_Roller_Hockey_Wheel_Axles_/descpage-ALWA.html

These would be the spacers: https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Alkali_Hockey_Bearing_Spacers/descpage-ABSP.html

I agree with Althoma1, those are very good choices.  I’d also like to mention that after you wear out your indoor set just use those on the ashphalt.  I never had good luck with outdoor wheels and would rather spend my money on new indoor ones and just use the old ones outside.  

Has anyone been skating visium 2? I got some Mission NLS4 when they came out, and they're quickly softening up and getting squirrelly after week in and week out of 4-5 days on the rink.

What very stiff boots exist that aren't super pricy?

I'm surprised nobody is talking about the sneak peaks Joe Cook has been giving for the 2020 skates. 

Revel 1 - $599 ...Look to be nice and stiff like their skates of yore. I want to try these on.

Revel 2 - $299 (probably supersedes the Visium2?)