Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Picked up a pair of CA7 skates just before Christmas. Justin's active posting on this thread, alone, made me try on their skates. Fit and quality made me buy them.

Picked up a pair of CA7 skates just before Christmas. Justin's active posting on this thread, alone, made me try on their skates. Fit and quality made me buy them.

About to do the same, for a pair of the CA9's - the fact Justin is on here, answering questions yet not overly pushing his product is why - roller hockey kit for roller hockey players made by rollerhockey lovers lol.

A lot of the kit reminds me of the golden Mission era (Wicked Lights, VSIs etc - the time when whatever Mission launched, I had to have it. Not had that feeling over kit for a looong time)

Edited by Kanya

About to do the same, for a pair of the CA9's - the fact Justin is on here, answering questions yet not overly pushing his product is why - roller hockey kit for roller hockey players made by rollerhockey lovers lol.

A lot of the kit reminds me of the golden Mission era (Wicked Lights, VSIs etc - the time when whatever Mission launched, I had to have it. Not had that feeling over kit for a looong time)

They're more impressive in person than the pictures can show. Everyone at the arena I play at who was waiting to see what these were going to look like have also been pretty impressed with how good they look and how solid they are in hand.

I want some but not sure about the all 4 same wheel size :(

The all 80 chassis isn't too hard to adjust to coming from a Vanguard. It took me 2-3 coaching sessions and a game to really feel confident on them. The harder part for me wasn't the wheel size difference, but the height difference as the Alkali sits higher from the floor than the T9s I have been on since summer. Again it was all of four skates on them to adjust.

As a comparative note, the toe of the CA9 boot sits at almost the same height as the Revision Vanquish skate (which was noted in an IW video that the Vanquish sits approx. 8mm higher from the floor than "traditional height"), but the heel sits just a little lower as the Vanquish needs the difference for the 100mm wheel. It is definitely a different feel coming from a skate that sits lower like a Mission or Tour would, but it is not a hard transition.

I would compare it to some degree to when I was in high school and in addition to playing hockey I did speed skating and went skating outdoors with friends on aggressive skates. Each felt different because of height/wheel size differences going from a raised platform 5X80 frame to a low profile 4X76 frame down to the ultra low-riding 4X59, but the fundamental skating basics were always the same and adjustment came quickly.

The first go I had with Labeda's Addiction wheels on a Vanguard left me feeling a little sour on them as I didn't feel like I was getting enough grip out of them to justify using them. The all 80 setup on the CA9 has changed that as I've had no slippage issues this time around.

Edited by sdcopp

They're more impressive in person than the pictures can show. Everyone at the arena I play at who was waiting to see what these were going to look like have also been pretty impressed with how good they look and how solid they are in hand.

I completely agree. The first screenshots I saw don't compare to seeing these in person. Something just isn't translating when looking at the pictures.

The all 80 chassis isn't too hard to adjust to coming from a Vanguard. It took me 2-3 coaching sessions and a game to really feel confident on them. The harder part for me wasn't the wheel size difference, but the height difference as the Alkali sits higher from the floor than the T9s I have been on since summer. Again it was all of four skates on them to adjust.

As a comparative note, the toe of the CA9 boot sits at almost the same height as the Revision Vanquish skate (which was noted in an IW video that the Vanquish sits approx. 8mm higher from the floor than "traditional height"), but the heel sits just a little lower as the Vanquish needs the difference for the 100mm wheel. It is definitely a different feel coming from a skate that sits lower like a Mission or Tour would, but it is not a hard transition.

I would compare it to some degree to when I was in high school and in addition to playing hockey I did speed skating and went skating outdoors with friends on aggressive skates. Each felt different because of height/wheel size differences going from a raised platform 5X80 frame to a low profile 4X76 frame down to the ultra low-riding 4X59, but the fundamental skating basics were always the same and adjustment came quickly.

The first go I had with Labeda's Addiction wheels on a Vanguard left me feeling a little sour on them as I didn't feel like I was getting enough grip out of them to justify using them. The all 80 setup on the CA9 has changed that as I've had no slippage issues this time around.

skate height doesn't really change skating dynamics. however i don't like frames that put you really high off the ground, because the higher up you are, the less stable you are (at your ankle) - simple physics. you will notice a difference in skating dynamics from different skate pitch and wheel base.

it does adjust how much clearance you have for leaning more into a turn, making a sharp cut or lengthening of stride as it provides a less severe angle of the boot to the floor when put into any angle other than 90 degrees perpendicular. We certainly aren't talking as vast a difference as a player going from a goalie skate to a player skate might feel, and the boot pitch and wheel base do also affect the total skating experience for sure. It certainly doesn't take a whole ton of difference though to feel less stable when you are automatic on a certain setup and change a few variables going to a new skate setup.

I think the less stable feeling is an adequate phrasing of my first couple skates. Going from the lower clearance profile, different wheel sizes and different boot pitch I was on to the CA9 was not a long adjustment period though and I'm certainly feeling some added benefit now that I have gotten the new feel dialed into my personal skating mechanics. I'm certainly doing my best to try and quantify in words some very nuanced differences in feel that you find in using something new.

To put it much more simply though, the CA9 skates are on par with stiffness and weight to the competitive top end models in the market, and provide a much more robust heat molding capability than any other inline boot I've ever seen, providing a broken in feel out of the oven. They should be a serious consideration for anyone looking for new skates, and this coming from one of the bigger Mission fanboys you'll ever meet as a majority of gear I've used since 2004 has been Mission and I have nothing but praise for the Mission reps I've dealt with, including Justin's time there when he was the face on here for them. Joe and Justin really outdid themselves with the product, an initial launch no less.

On the CA9 girdle, is the built in cup removable for washing?

I tried to find info on this, but any video that might address this is blocked here at work.

The tolerances in the bearings are higher on the Swiss verse the Swiss Lite. In all honesty the differences are minimal, and most players will not notice a difference.

Hi,

I'm looking for buying CA 9 skates, I just wanted some help for size chart.

I wear a 7.5D on my Bauer RX60 and Mission Commander, what size should I choose for CA9's ?

thanks

Hi,

I'm looking for buying CA 9 skates, I just wanted some help for size chart.

I wear a 7.5D on my Bauer RX60 and Mission Commander, what size should I choose for CA9's ?

thanks

Not sure about how sizing compares to other skate brands, but when I got my CA7's it was 1 1/2 sizes smaller than my shoes. Perfect fit for me with my toes just barely touching the toe caps while sitting.

Hi Justin, I hate to bring up skates since it's been asked so many times in the thread, but, after getting back into roller hockey after a 2 year hiatus, my rbk 8ks, (the original, silvery/grey skates) in an 11.5 D are tight around the mid-foot, and was interested in your Alkali line, and was just wondering if you could enlighten me as to if they'd be appropriate? Thanks in advance

Definitely. As I have mentioned before, the heat fit mold ability of our skates is amazing. Since our skates have the ability to mold so much (range from a C to a EE width range of adjustment), we only needed to do one width skate. There are numerous reviews out there, and the have been great! I think you will be happy with the fit, features, performance, and durability.

Hope this helps.

Justin

Thank you so much! Such a quick reply has definitely pushed me towards your skates, as soon as I can get the money together, I'll be buying a pair, thanks again, Justin!