Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Sent a message to your websites email, but havent heard a reply. I'm thinking of getting a set of CA5 pants (havent seen the new ones avaliable yet),now my mission pants have given up the knees (I would love to go mission again but Bauer brought them!) but I'm a pain to fit. I'm 175cm tall and have a 30" waist, so generally I have to look at leg lengths rather than waist, however I cant seem to find the leg lengths for your pants. Is there a listing out there? (I generally buy online cuz I'm an Aussie).

Sent a message to your websites email, but havent heard a reply. I'm thinking of getting a set of CA5 pants (havent seen the new ones avaliable yet),now my mission pants have given up the knees (I would love to go mission again but Bauer brought them!) but I'm a pain to fit. I'm 175cm tall and have a 30" waist, so generally I have to look at leg lengths rather than waist, however I cant seem to find the leg lengths for your pants. Is there a listing out there? (I generally buy online cuz I'm an Aussie).

Depending on how you like your pant to fit, M-L would be sufficient with M being the ideal choice unless you like a baggy leg.

Just got my Ca7 Skates and took them for a skate - Not baked yet as training tonight. Nice boot and set up. For those trying to figure out their skate size before ordering from over seas. I usually skate in a size 8 Mission T9 with no socks. I ordered a size 8.5 Alkali and this seems to me slightly shorter by a few mm ( Maybe just the toe cap design). If this changes after baking and a couple of skates I will update but I would suggest going a full size bigger then current Mission range. But for those who like a smaller heel with a wider toe cap this is a great boot straight out of the box.

I wear 1/2 size bigger in Alkali than current Mission range. Like you, out of the box I thought the Alkali was a couple of mm to small but after a couple of skates and once you lock your heel in tight, the fit is perfect.

I wear 1/2 size bigger in Alkali than current Mission range. Like you, out of the box I thought the Alkali was a couple of mm to small but after a couple of skates and once you lock your heel in tight, the fit is perfect.

Did you do anything to get the heel locked in?

Laced up tight and made sure as I laced up my heel was pushed hard into the pocket (and baked them this way). When unlaced my toes just feather the toe cap but once laced up they pull back so they are just off the toe cap.

I do skate every day for at least 2 hours so I broke them in pretty quick. They are still right on the limit, if I hit the boards front on my big toe sure knows about it so I have to keep my toenails well trimmed.

I baked them in a Mission bake oven at a local rink. However afterwards I had to punch some local spots (just behind the little toes and inside / outside ankles) so used a heat gun and some c clamps to give me a custom fit.

I have a few questions about the Alkali skates, and rather than start my own thread, I figured for consolidation purposes it'd be better to ask these questions here. Perhaps some people here could provide some feedback for me.

I've been a very big fan of mission skates since I first tried on their pure fly ice skates around 2003. When I started playing roller hockey in 2005, I tried out mission inline skates and loved them as well.

Last year I bought a pair of Mission T8 skates and have liked them ok. They're breaking down pretty badly right now (have had a lot of weird issues with them, such as sweat leaking through the bottom of the skates!) and I need something new. I was aware of the Mission buyout by Bauer when I bought the T8's, but didn't know what other brand to try. I tried on many different skates from other manufacturers, but the Missions (that is, Mission-Bauer skates) fit the best. But, there were things I immediately did not like. I did not like the change from 72-80 to 76-80 wheel configuration. I felt very awkward and lost a lot of my agility and quick turning ability. I tried the skates out in this 76-80 configuration for months, but it just never felt natural and as good as the 72-80 on my previous Mission skates. I know you're supposed to be "faster" with this wheel configuration, but I felt the loss in turning radius was greater than any gain in speed I realized (and, honestly, I didn't ever feel faster).

After a while of not being able to adjust, I had the chassis from my previous skates put on the skates (72-80 hilos) and the difference was phenomenal. I felt like myself again and retained my desired level of agility and turning ability. That being said, these new Missions still never felt as good or comfortable as the Missions before the Bauer acquisition.

I recently discovered Alkali and have done a lot of reading about the company. I'm very intrigued with their skates, and really like some of the stuff that's been said about the skates. Particularly, it sounds a lot like the things I read about the Pure fly skates before I bought them in 2003. The Mission ice skates are still to this day my favorite pair of ice skates ever. The thought put into the design regarding fit (e.g. realizing the fact that a foot is not a symmetrical object and that everyone's foot is different, and designing for that in mind) was what really intrigued me about the Pure Flys, and I'm liking the similar stuff that I'm reading about the Alkali inline skates.

I haven't had a chance to try on a pair, but I'm thinking of trying some out at a local store when I get a chance. However, I'm a little concerned about the all 80 alignment. Considering the fact that I just never could quite adjust to the 76-80 change in the new Mission skates, I'm having serious concerns how an all 80 configuration could completely mess me up. I realize that the boot is designed with a very aggressive pitch to put the player on their toes to compensate for the all 80s, but what if I just can't adjust? How long should I really give it before I know I've tried it for long enough? And if I can't adjust to the 80's, is it very unwise to switch out chassis (say, to my old 72-80 that I know and love)?

Being someone that plays pretty competitively in the highest inline leagues, I would like to minimize this kind of adjustment period, if possible. If the all 80 configuration is something that people feel I can realistically get used to, I'm willing to tough it out...but if I need to skate on it and feel awkward for months, I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. I also can't afford a super expensive experiment, so don't want to outright buy the skates and come to the conclusion that I can't wear them because I can't adjust.

In short, what I'm trying to say is that while I think the T8 Missions I've used for the past year have been ok, they just don't feel up to par with the past offerings I was used to with the old Mission company. From what I'm reading, Alkali sounds like the best thing for me for fit and skate design. However, I am really concerned about the all 80 configuration considering my past sensitivity to changes in wheel configuration (from 72-80 to 76-80) and I'm not sure if I could adjust (and be a better player as a result). And if I can't adjust, I'm not sure if putting a 72-80 chassis on an Alkali skate is the best thing considering they have been designed with an aggressive pitch specifically for an all 80 chassis.

Should I give Alkali's a shot?

Edited by Hockeymac18

If you can't get used to a 76 - 80 setup then I'd say you will really struggle with an all 80 setup. I came from RX60's and Rbk 10k's and even though the Alkali is aggressively pitched, I still found I was in a very different skating stance - definitely pitched further back onto my heels. Gritted my teeth, trained hard and after 2 weeks or so I had adjusted and now don't think about it at all.

The ability for the Alkali boot to form fit to your foot is a big plus. Also if you have narrow ankles / heels then these are definitely the boot for you. As to build quality, despite a couple of niggles these are the best boots in terms of build that I have put on and I speak from having used them for over 2 hours every day for the last 6 months or so. Given I destroyed my Rbk 10k's inside of 3 months, this is a testimony to the Alkali boots (CA9's).

I don't know of anyone who makes a 72 - 80 setup anymore so if you want to retain this you are going to have to put a frame onto a boot, regardless. I don't see how this would be any different to people who have put Sprung frames onto inline boots and I don't see why it would not work equally as well for an Alkali boot. As to the pitch of the boot, I measured it against a T10, RX60 and 10k and the difference is not that great so if you have put your frame on a Mission boot successfully then I don't see any reason why it would not go onto an alkali boot.

If you don't want to use an inline boot then consider an ice boot, something like a Graf would be a good choice as you can buy the specific boot that fits your foot shape.and I know of a few people who have converted Graf boots to inline without any long term issues.

there is a lot of misconception about roller boot pitch. the alkali boots are not pitched aggressively, at least in the traditional meaning of the term. the alkali boot is 'pitched' aggressively by angling your ankle forward, thereby helping with forward flex. but the actual pitch (angle of the plane created by the bottom of your foot versus the floor) is pitched very neutral. the reason you like the 80-72 hilos is because it is aggressively pitched and short wheel base. you can get the same pitch with the alkali skate by using a heel lift but you will be really high up since they are already a very tall chassis and you will still have a long wheelbase. i think your only option to like the alkali skate is to put 80-72 hilo's on.

i wish that they still make 80-72 hilos also - which is why i buy spare 80-72 mag frames when i get the chance to purchase them. the pitch is perfect on them and they are lower to the ground which increases stability.

If you can't get used to a 76 - 80 setup then I'd say you will really struggle with an all 80 setup. I came from RX60's and Rbk 10k's and even though the Alkali is aggressively pitched, I still found I was in a very different skating stance - definitely pitched further back onto my heels. Gritted my teeth, trained hard and after 2 weeks or so I had adjusted and now don't think about it at all.

The ability for the Alkali boot to form fit to your foot is a big plus. Also if you have narrow ankles / heels then these are definitely the boot for you. As to build quality, despite a couple of niggles these are the best boots in terms of build that I have put on and I speak from having used them for over 2 hours every day for the last 6 months or so. Given I destroyed my Rbk 10k's inside of 3 months, this is a testimony to the Alkali boots (CA9's).

I don't know of anyone who makes a 72 - 80 setup anymore so if you want to retain this you are going to have to put a frame onto a boot, regardless. I don't see how this would be any different to people who have put Sprung frames onto inline boots and I don't see why it would not work equally as well for an Alkali boot. As to the pitch of the boot, I measured it against a T10, RX60 and 10k and the difference is not that great so if you have put your frame on a Mission boot successfully then I don't see any reason why it would not go onto an alkali boot.

If you don't want to use an inline boot then consider an ice boot, something like a Graf would be a good choice as you can buy the specific boot that fits your foot shape.and I know of a few people who have converted Graf boots to inline without any long term issues.

Thanks for the feedback on your experience adjusting to the set up. I suppose I should clarify and say that it was possible for me to "get used" to a 76-80 set up, but I just never felt like the same player. I always felt a little awkward and more on my heels than I had liked. My turns seemed less sharp and wider (which makes sense since the wheel base is slightly longer). I suppose these minor differences aren't a factor for a lot of players, but I've always found myself to be very sensitive to the smallest adjustments in equipment. Perhaps this sensitivity came from growing up and playing ice hockey competitively before even touching roller hockey (I was in my early-20's before I played my first ever roller game). I've heard some people coming from ice have said that a hi-lo set up feels more like ice than something like a full 80's set up. That being said, I have plenty of ice hockey-playing roller friends that skate on all 80's, so who knows.

I tried on the alkali CA7's at a local hockey store. I really liked the feel right out of the box, and they felt more comfortable than the Mission T8's did when I first tried those on. Just gliding around the store, I definitely felt on my heels because of the all 80 set up. I'm considering having the store order a pair of CA9's and mounting a 72-80 chassis on them. For curiosity's sake, I might try a skate with the all 80's just see how they feel before making the switch.

there is a lot of misconception about roller boot pitch. the alkali boots are not pitched aggressively, at least in the traditional meaning of the term. the alkali boot is 'pitched' aggressively by angling your ankle forward, thereby helping with forward flex. but the actual pitch (angle of the plane created by the bottom of your foot versus the floor) is pitched very neutral. the reason you like the 80-72 hilos is because it is aggressively pitched and short wheel base. you can get the same pitch with the alkali skate by using a heel lift but you will be really high up since they are already a very tall chassis and you will still have a long wheelbase. i think your only option to like the alkali skate is to put 80-72 hilo's on.

i wish that they still make 80-72 hilos also - which is why i buy spare 80-72 mag frames when i get the chance to purchase them. the pitch is perfect on them and they are lower to the ground which increases stability.

Thanks for the information about the pitch of the skates. I guess my question was if the Alkali skates had specifically been designed with an aggressive "pitch" in the heel in order to compensate for the all 80's set up. After trying them on myself, the pitch is more aggressive (makes me bend my knees more, which I love), but it didn't do much to take away from the "on-your-heels" feel of the all 80's. It is definitely very different than a hi-lo set up (76-80 or 72-80) even if the boot's been designed with a more forward pitch.

I personally love the 72-80 and feel it's perfect for my playing style (which is best for quick starts/quick turns). It also feels most like ice hockey (to me), so having played ice hockey my whole life before roller, I've always felt most comfortable in a 72-80 set up. I also have a couple of 72-80 chassis for all of my extra skates (and if one of the chassis breaks).

I've never seen a full explanation as to why 72-80 hilo chassis was completely abandoned. I know the patent is owned by Mission (so other companies never really made them), but I've never seen the exact reasoning for the switch. I've read some explanations by people, and have seen the market-speak about it (better "top end speed"), but it would have been nice to see someone still make a 72-80 chassis to give people a choice. If you want the quick starting/turning power of a 72-80 chassis in today's market, you have zero options (I guess 76-80 or a Tri-D come the closest). Then again, this is a topic for another thread.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to give the Alkali's a shot. I think they'll be an improvement for me over the Mission T8's I'll be coming from.

Edited by Hockeymac18

i've always thought that mission may have switched to 76-80 partly because lower level skaters tend to not like an aggressively pitched skate because they don't know how to take advantage of it through proper posture skating. and low level skaters buy most the skates. also, i believe roller players tend to skate more upright and tend to like a flat footed skate which is why straight 80s are so popular. ofcourse there are other reasons as well. each configuration has its advantages and disadvantages.

Looked through the thread and didn't see any info on this -

What's the fit, size-wise, on the gloves? Looking to snag a pair of CA9's for my son, who wears a 13" in Mission T9s, but pushes a 14" in Bauer 4-rolls or Total Ones. The Alkali dealers in my area have skates and pants, but no gloves to try on, so I'll probably need order online.

Thanks!

Thanks Justin. That helps quite a bit - appreciate the quick response.

FWIW - we just outfitted our entire JV Tier 1 team with Alkali CA5 pants. Couldn't convince our treasurer to spring for the higher models since the association picked up the tab, but nonetheless, the players are really liking them. Glad I was able to talk them out of the Reebok 5Ks. My son's been using CA7s through the summer, so we were already a fan.

Just played in our national tournament on my CA7 skates, think i sighted about 2 other pairs of alkali's in total.

At the start of the tournament the skates were killing my fit, addedd some super feet which made it a little better. I found my self really flat (no forward lean) on the skates and was wondering if people have a quick fix for this?

If you need additional forward lean there are a couple of options:

1. Cheapest - Try skipping the top eyelet - This will give you additional forward flex (I actually do it on my skates, but it is also something I have done even when I skated Mission skates).

2. Heel Lift - You can add a heel lift in between the chassis and the boot.

Just some glove feedback(ca9): they are very light weight and break in very quickly. The palms have shown good durability and they dry pretty fast as well. Protection is more than adequate. They feel awesome.