Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Im currently in Mission Lieutenants sz 10.5 EE (pre bauer sizing) and with the extra width, they fit perfectly. Im guessing I would be between a 10 or 9 but since alkali doesn't offer different widths, would I be able to squeeze my foot in them. Also I prefer a very stiff boot such as the lieutenants, is the alkali ca9 comparable to them? If not what are they comparable to?

I have the alkali ca9 rpd and I find it nice and stiff and they heat mold very well to your feet. hope this helps you

Was the pre Bauer mission sizing true to size. So a 10.5 dress shoe was about the same in the mission or a have I been on the wrong size skate for the past 4 years?

Pre Bauer mission sizing is a slightly different from Alkali sizing. I had Mission Boss and Boss blacks and in them I was a 7, in alkali i'm a 6.5. The alkali is a perfect fit whereas the Mission skates were about a 1/4 of a size to big.

Imho the reference to a dress shoe size is so wrong. Everyone I have ever come across has a different fit for a dress shoe, and this is not taking into account how different manufacturers of dress shoes size their shoes differently! Yet a skate needs to fit well for you to get the best performance out of it but manufacturers will not post the actual length of a foot as a reference guide. I understand some of the reason for this, to support retail shops, but it is still frustrating for those that want to purchase online for whatever reason.

So a 10.5 dress shoe was about the same in the mission or a have I been on the wrong size skate for the past 4 years?

The pencil test remains the best option for you testing how the skates fit you for length, only you can do this and see if the skates are the correct length.

The pencil test remains the best option for you testing how the skates fit you for length, only you can do this and see if the skates are the correct length.

How does pencil test work again? You slide you foot to the front of the boot and you should only have a pencils width of space between the heel and the boot?

Edited by crispy92

Laces out, tongue pulled out, toes feathering the toe cap. If you can fit a pencil down the back your heel the boot is too big by around 1 size. Ideally you want 1mm - 2mm of space between the back of your heel and the boot, and if the boot is new you really want almost no space because your foot will settle into the heel by 1mm - 2mm as the boot breaks in.

With sales and the black Friday / cyber Monday craze coming up I'll keep my eyes peeled for the new stuff and hopefully they'll be out and listed asap

Edited by Souldriver

Just don't expect to have the new gear eligible for any promo sales during that time. MAP restrictions keep retailers/e-tailers from marking that down. All the past year stuff should be off MAP now though...

With sales and the black Friday / cyber Monday craze coming up I'll keep my eyes peeled for the new stuff and hopefully they'll be out and listed asap

Just don't expect to have the new gear eligible for any promo sales during that time. MAP restrictions keep retailers/e-tailers from marking that down. All the past year stuff should be off MAP now though...

I go in expecting not to get any deals but sometimes/rarely you get lucky. but i also wanted to pick up something else, which slips my mind right now....

Edited by Souldriver

Laces out, tongue pulled out, toes feathering the toe cap. If you can fit a pencil down the back your heel the boot is too big by around 1 size. Ideally you want 1mm - 2mm of space between the back of your heel and the boot, and if the boot is new you really want almost no space because your foot will settle into the heel by 1mm - 2mm as the boot breaks in.

so i just tested this and from the back of the boot I can fit a about two pencils between my heel and the skate with my toe brushing the toe cap. Does that mean i am two sizes too big? I feel like i would never fit into an 8.5. Granted I will be trying them on tomorrow, I just want to get an idea because last time I got skates I got the 10.5s because I thought thats how they were supposed to fit and because I figured since I have wider feet I figured they will be wider as well.

P.S How are they volume wise? my foot is basically wide and tall.

Edited by crispy92

2 pencils? Wow, how on earth do you skate in them without flopping all over the place?

You need to go down between 1 to 2 sizes, it will depend on the brand you buy. Honestly, a skate that fits you properly for length will have a huge impact on your skating ability.

Top end Alkali are extremely moldable so width isn't the issue (although I don't know about bottom end models). If I recall correctly the new range has had the toe box redesigned to give a little more width, one of my pet peeves from the original line. They had medium volume in the first release, Justin can add any comment here if this year's release has added any more depth.

Idk I have always attributed my bad skating to the fact that the first time I ever skated I was 15(now 21 and wow I didn't realise ive been skating that long.) I could have sworn back then I was hearing mission skate were true to size or something of the sort. But this would explain a lot of things like the constant blistering on my heel and the haglunds that I developed lol. I was shooting to try on the CA9 RPD tomorrow and they have them in a 9 so hopefully they feel good. I just feel like when I try them on they wont be comfortable until they are baked. Should I just worry about length and trust that width and everything else will just mold after a bake?

No i wouldnt do that. A proper boot will fit comfortable when not baked. Baking is to get it to mold to you foot shape better but if it's too small it's too small, too big same thing.if it's something like everything is perfect but one spot keeps getting a hot spot while skating there are thing like boot punches for that

when trying the skate on I would make your laces are almost all the way loose and you can get your foot in easily and to tie them and give it a stand and see where your foot is and how it feels not just sitting. try on as many as you can. I personally need a wider higher volume boot as I have a boxy chunk of a foot. Bauer vapors are way to small for me. And the reeboks I had broke down too fast and didn't have enough volume.

Remember there are wide widths available for most skates but don't jump to them to over compensate for what a bake may do for you.

No i wouldnt do that. A proper boot will fit comfortable when not baked. Baking is to get it to mold to you foot shape better but if it's too small it's too small, too big same thing.if it's something like everything is perfect but one spot keeps getting a hot spot while skating there are thing like boot punches for that

when trying the skate on I would make your laces are almost all the way loose and you can get your foot in easily and to tie them and give it a stand and see where your foot is and how it feels not just sitting. try on as many as you can. I personally need a wider higher volume boot as I have a boxy chunk of a foot. Bauer vapors are way to small for me. And the reeboks I had broke down too fast and didn't have enough volume.

Remember there are wide widths available for most skates but don't jump to them to over compensate for what a bake may do for you.

Well I have the same style foot as you, plus mine are flat. Normally I wouldn't do what I said but it seems like the alkali skates can mold just about to anything. I mean my selection is quite limited in roller hockey. Reebok quality is poor from my understanding and Tour all I ever hear is they go soft and padding just vanishes. Im looking for a relatively stiff boot too so all that leaves me with is the current gen missions and alkali (if they fit).

Edited by crispy92

im using missions now. first skate in a while i used that is keeping its stiffness well but im 250lbs and its a higher end AC2 model that i splurged on to make sure it doesnt go soft too soon. so far so good. while i was looking i looked at alkali due to Justins presence here and the great reviews ive seen and at the time they didnt fit my foot as well as the missions and i didnt want to put the cash down and hope a bake fixed everything. though ill say when i inquired justin offered to show me how the skate felt on my foot after a bake, the problem is that i would of had to fly from NY to CA :P .

But the newest line looks to have a huge improvement to it from a technical standpoint and if i was looking for skates today i would get my ass to a place and try the new line out. im really interested in the stance as i tie the top laces tight and even with the mission hi-lo i feel my legs are very straight and at times there is a feeling that my knees are locked by the straight up skate and stance. i also like the straight 80s but the recessed wheel should do a lot to keep the agility up unlike the reeboks and ccms. but hopefully for my wallets sake i wont need to look any time soon.

o I couldn’t wait till the end of the day to get home and sign for the package, so I went to UPS at lunch and picked up my new RPD Max skates. Now back at work, and skating around the office getting weird looks and laughs from co-workers. Initial feedback, WOW! I’ve been skating the original CA9’s for a couple years and these feel insanely more comfortable even not baked. They sit awesomely low for having 80’s on and the solid contact with the ground and perfect wheel placement, I am so anxious to see just how explosive these feel like they are going to be. As for the forward aggressive stance, couldn’t be more on point. The stiffness works with the way you stand to aid in keeping knees bent ready to take off at any given time. Arch is perfectly placed and feet fit snug, with just a slight push on the outer edges with the balls of my feet. After a bake I can see that mold going as if these were made just for me. It is a very stiff boot, but the moveability is uncanny with how stiff it is. Great heel pocket that really gets a good grip on the back of your foot. Tongue design was a big point for me seeing as how I got bad lace bite before, but with the reinforced design I don’t see how I will ever get that. Aesthetics are awesome, just a slick looking skate. Extremely pleasing to the eye. More so than any pics seen online. My league isn’t tonight, but I will be at the rink waiting for a guest spot to open up cause I really want to see how these perform. More to come once I get some real skate time and I'll put up a full review in the review section.

• Like 1

o I couldn’t wait till the end of the day to get home and sign for the package, so I went to UPS at lunch and picked up my new RPD Max skates. Now back at work, and skating around the office getting weird looks and laughs from co-workers. Initial feedback, WOW! I’ve been skating the original CA9’s for a couple years and these feel insanely more comfortable even not baked. They sit awesomely low for having 80’s on and the solid contact with the ground and perfect wheel placement, I am so anxious to see just how explosive these feel like they are going to be. As for the forward aggressive stance, couldn’t be more on point. The stiffness works with the way you stand to aid in keeping knees bent ready to take off at any given time. Arch is perfectly placed and feet fit snug, with just a slight push on the outer edges with the balls of my feet. After a bake I can see that mold going as if these were made just for me. It is a very stiff boot, but the moveability is uncanny with how stiff it is. Great heel pocket that really gets a good grip on the back of your foot. Tongue design was a big point for me seeing as how I got bad lace bite before, but with the reinforced design I don’t see how I will ever get that. Aesthetics are awesome, just a slick looking skate. Extremely pleasing to the eye. More so than any pics seen online. My league isn’t tonight, but I will be at the rink waiting for a guest spot to open up cause I really want to see how these perform. More to come once I get some real skate time and I'll put up a full review in the review section.

You just sold me on ordering a pair of SHIFTS tomorrow.. I already have bones swiss bearings at home as well as the variant + wheel so i can't justify the extra 250 bucks for a MAG frame.

• Like 1

I'm a guy that needs his forefoot laced but not tight and conpensates with the ankle so the skate doesn't flop from side to side. I can't tell you how many times it made me feel like my knees were locked.

Edited by Souldriver

So skated two games back to back last night. Not that I didn't like the original CA9s, but it's hard to believe they spawned the new Maxs. The turn radius is no joke. At full sprint I could easily turn a tight 180 without losing much speed. I was right in my assumption that with the stance you'll have more explosive starting power. no slipping, no lace bite, and only the slightest soreness on inner ankle bone from breaking in but once baked that will be money. Other soreness is in the legs cause I didn't wanna stop playing. other perks include beer tasting better after the game and heightened sex appeal. Everyone oogled over them. Still gonna wait a couple more sessions for full review cause they have added a black Friday pickup session and have an iron man tourney Sunday. Very pleased is the starting point.

• Like 1