Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goblues38

I hate 19 year olds who think they are Wayne Gretzky when playing 35-50 year olds...

I think you might've answered your own question.

LOL, now that I read it, you are correct sir. I guess I just need to shut up and listen to myself once in a while!!

I dislike the use of AA/AAA travel players in a C league game just because dad happens to be on the team. Have had it happen several times over the past few seasons where these 15/16yo kids would play and wind up shredding us all night long.

I dislike the use of AA/AAA travel players in a C league game just because dad happens to be on the team. Have had it happen several times over the past few seasons where these 15/16yo kids would play and wind up shredding us all night long.

Our team tends to get physical against those players, then it usually goes down hill from there .

Our team tends to get physical against those players, then it usually goes down hill from there .

The dad has to protect his son, especially if the "refs aren't calling anything", and then it escalates? Seen that a lot.

The dad has to protect his son, especially if the "refs aren't calling anything", and then it escalates? Seen that a lot.

Dad should play up instead!

That's what I meant by going down hill from there. Actually had a kid take a two handed swing at my head as I skated by him while he was in the box one night.

i'm not saying it's right, but weren't you all 19 once, and didn't you feel like a bad ass skating around weaker players occasionally. i'm not defending it, i'm just saying sometimes it feels good to do it, i suppose.

Actually I feel kind of like a dick when I skate below my skill level. I play defense, pass the puck, and generally dick around and have fun. It's a blast, but just skating circles around people sucks.

What really sucks is to have a 19 year old Gretzky ruin a game you organized at a pro NHL rink after a pro game. They claimed he wouldn't affect the game, only play D and wouldn't shoot. I'm not falling for that again...

These players are the worst! I just wish I was significantly better so I can put them in their place. Ideally with an epic rob blake hip check.

These players are the worst! I just wish I was significantly better so I can put them in their place. Ideally with an epic rob blake hip check.

Not a good idea... I did it once... maybe good for the thread on the things on the ice you regrets hahaha.

That's what I meant by going down hill from there. Actually had a kid take a two handed swing at my head as I skated by him while he was in the box one night.

Had something happen like that 2 weeks ago. The other team had 2 kids around 15-16 and showing us all their awesome moves. When someone stood one of them up he started hacking and slashing. He ended up "punching" one of my teammates in the side of the helmet (glove push). Ref gave him the minor, but in our league it's supposed to be an Game Misconduct.

During the handshake after the game one of them mumbled "F@*k Off."

Regarding: "Weren't we all 19 once..." No. I started last fall @ the youngster age of 40. :-)

I hate it when a couple of guys who are a year younger then me and I am 20 (never going to play junior hockey) and a B level player. These 2 guys standed around tonight while we were doing the russian drill (most simplest warm up ever) and they play like shit like hello if your going to be cocky at least play good dont be cocky then be bad. LIKE SERIOUSLY!

Yet its bad being a 19 or 20 year old in hockey leagues even know you admit your never going to play junior hockey. You know there are players out there the same age as your giving your age group a bad name. Its just like the REAL Vancouver Canucks fans after the Stanley Cup game. The real fans just dealed with the fact that they lost the Stanley Cup and clapped when the Bruins won the cup. When there were unreal fans with alcohol destroying half the city. So its just as bad to be a so and so 19-20 year old hockey player as it is to be a REAL canucks fan. I hope I am not wrong for this subject.

uhhm. what?

I am a 20 year old thats like a B player and sometimes I dont get accepted to play in a beer league because of my age group. Its like being a REAL canucks fan all of them are nice but hated because of the NONREAL fans of the canucks rioting after they lost the cup.

I am a 20 year old thats like a B player and sometimes I dont get accepted to play in a beer league because of my age group. Its like being a REAL canucks fan all of them are nice but hated because of the NONREAL fans of the canucks rioting after they lost the cup.

I've yet to play someone that has it out for a younger person just because they're younger. It always starts the same way. Skate by them, deke, put it between their legs, etc 2 or 3 times and the hacks start, keep going and they get progressively worse, and by the end of the game everyone is in everyone else's face.

I've yet to play someone that has it out for a younger person just because they're younger.

Ditto, but I've definitely seen teams have preconceived notions about how "all" the younger (18-25) players play.

I've actually just starting playing in a league with 40-50 year olds (I am 26, and my friend who is also 26 invited me). We are the youngest there, and probably the best players (although there are some TALENTED 50 year olds out there!). I always try my best to not show off or make a big deal. I almost never deke on a 1 vs 1, I'll take the screen shot, or pull up and hit someone with a pass. No one likes someone hotdogging out there, and they certainly don't need younger people giving them the business. Hockey is fun, and yes, it's fun to score a sick goal, but there's a respect level in hockey that needs to be maintained, and in this case, I think that respect level is even more important given the age discrepancies as well.

So on tuesdays when i get the chance i go to this adult skills training with a former pro league assistant coach who runs drills for about an hour and then we have a pickup game for almost two hours. Well sometimes asu players show up, you get all skill levels. Most of the time i'm pretty laid back and boring just drift and screw around. Since i started riding my bike a lot more now my stamina and skating speed has gone up, i seriously do not even feel winded or strained until about hour three of the drills/pickup. Well usually we have this guy who shows up and just does his whole puck hog never pass always shoot and score making some of the guys look like they arent as good when this is just a more for a fun and learning thing and practice for most of us. Well since i was feeling fast and good i decided i was going to haunt him, anytime he had the puck i was on him taking the puck away, chasing him letting him know i was literally on his numbers, i ended up frustrating him so bad he actually started to retaliate pretty badly which made it more fun. Finally halfway through the pickup game he got so frustrated and angry that he couldnt put one even into our zone and when he got a pass in the zone he'd have it taken away he slashed my shin and left the ice and game, apparently his bench heard him frustrated about how he didnt get to show us up. It felt pretty good to actually stick it to someone who shows up to pickups to do things like that.

Felt even better to know that thanks to my biking i've gotten way better.

We lost 12-2 last night. I'm not sure if our team should be down a level or if other teams should be up, but games like that are just dumb and not fun. There's several teams who are pretty evenly matched to us except for like 2 guys who are clearly better than everyone else. I don't get it. This happened on the team I played on during the summer too, just got destroyed every game. Maybe it's because I sign up as a free agent, and get put on the team of leftover misfit beer leaguers.

Edit: Wow, I forgot I got here from a search and just bumped a 5 year old thread. My bad :facepalm:

Edit: Wow, I forgot I got here from a search and just bumped a 5 year old thread. My bad :facepalm:

still, kinda glad you DID bring it back. i've been playing open on monday nights for the past month now, and theres two or three younger guys playing well below their skill level. At 45 years young, and getting back into the game, i almost kind of enjoy playing against them. it brings my play UP. That said, as soon as you get near them, or give them a bump or two they start crying.

I read through the thread yesterday and got a lot of good ideas / ammo for them (and of course none of them showed up last night) but next week... BOOM!! they're gonna get it! :ph34r: