Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Machinehead2k5

"Comic Book" Movies Discussion

So what did everyone think of the Dark Knight Rising?? I enjoyed the movie thoroughly despite the fact it was 2h45m. But it kept me interested the whole time.

REMEMBER this is the thread where spoilers the actual movie can be talked about. The other thread not soo much.

I was actually kind of let-down. The last one was so great. This one definitely felt like it was 2hr45min. My favorite iteration of Cat Woman so far. I think they could have made Bane a bit more of a bad-ass. I don't really think they made it clear how strong he is. I just kind of left the theater with a "meh" feeling. I'll probably see it again with my dad and see if my opinion changes.

See that's what I said. I'm more of a Marvel person, but I could see how someone who is a big DC/Batman fan would be let down. This IMHO wasn't better than The Avengers, but this trilogy was wrapped up nicely, but should've ended at Alfred smiling and nodding at the end instead of panning over.

Professional bias aside, I found I enjoyed both Avengers and The Amazing Spider-Man more. They kept me entertained and neither felt their length. Most of the DC fans I know swear up and down that this is the greatest movie ever.

I wanted to start a discussion about the movies that have come out that will lead to the upcoming Avengers movie as well as other comic book movies. Expect this thread to be filled with spoilers and/or insights to each movie that has come out.

Easy on the spoilers, fellas.

My first post in the this thread contained a warning about spoilers. :)

Spiderman was pretty good. I totally forgot that Gwen was his first love and not MJ.

Something about the mix seemed off to me. There were times when the music cut over the dialogue, or times when Bane would speak and my molars would rattle. That scene when he's speaking in the stadium hurt my ears. Sometimes it was even hard to understand Bane when he was speaking...

According to Christopher Nolan, Bane wasn't supposed to be intelligible the whole time when speaking...

So would this analogy be true for you DC guys?

Superman:Doomsday :: Batman:Bane??

According to Christopher Nolan, Bane wasn't supposed to be intelligible the whole time when speaking...

His voice was much harder to understand in the prologue. At first people were complaining that you can't understand him in the prologue, then people were complaining the dubbed voice sounded weird. Personally i think the dubbed voice added to the character, it had the enthusiastic high pitches instead of a robot sounding voice.

I have a shirt that has spider-man catching Gwen and it says "Good guys get the girl" and I always tell people they left out "and snap their neck..."

I'm glad they went with Gwen (and Emma Stone) instead of Mary Jane.

Sounds about right. Both kind of the 1B villain to the 1As (Luthor:Joker).

I definitely enjoyed the film (TDKR), but I wasn't really "into" it until the last 1/3 or so. I guess the slow start was the necessary buildup for the ending they were going for, though. *shrug* It definitely wasn't as good as TDK.

There were some parts of the story that were done pretty cleverly in terms of reconciling various of the comic's elements with new creations for the films. I suspected who the real villain was, but didn't honestly think they would pull that character out. And having Blake serve as a composite character of the different Robins was pretty well done.

Part of me hopes the story truly is wrapped up with this film (always leave 'em wanting more...) while part of me hopes they spin this into a Nightwing movie. I think that character has just enough recognition that they could do it.

His voice was much harder to understand in the prologue. At first people were complaining that you can't understand him in the prologue, then people were complaining the dubbed voice sounded weird. Personally i think the dubbed voice added to the character, it had the enthusiastic high pitches instead of a robot sounding voice.

I think there were really only a couple lines that I couldn't understand from Bane. Other than that I understood all of his dialogue. Part of me wishes they hadn't dubbed his voice but it also didn't really offend me either. I think my issue with it is of how loud it was compared to the other dialogue in the movie. The mid section of the movie seemed to drag for me a little bit then really picked up at the end. I was very excited how they fit in Blake's character/role. Also, I agree that the movie, or at least scene, ended with Alfred looking up to smile and nod. The panning over was not necessary and I think took away from the scene. I have other little nit-picks here and there, but overall enjoyed the movie. Hands down the 2nd is still the best. And that is owed to Heath Ledger without a doubt.

The one thing that really stood out, in my oppinion, was the lack of physcal ability that Bruce had to continue on as Batman. I think they protrayed just how beat down and finished his body/spirt really was.

And Catwoman....all I can say is....yes.

We finally saw The Dark Knight Rises last night, and I thought the Nolans did a great job of bringing Knightfall to the theaters, as well as wrapping up their storyline. I probably liked the second slightly more, although I had been disappointed with Ledger's portrayal; I'm not sure if the correct adjective is homicidal, maniacal or psychotic, but he wasn't enough. If anybody has ever seen The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, Brad Pitt was the quintessential Joker in that movie. That said, I always thought Ledger's lizard tongue was a nice touch.

However, before I address some specific comments, please allow me to make an editorial for those of you who are too young to remember how tough it was to survive being held hostage for two hours of a movie without knowing what has gone on in the outside world: THERE IS NEVER A RIGHT TIME TO TAKE A CALL OR SEND A TEXT DURING A MOVIE! Take it out into the lobby if it's so fucking important!

Okay, back to Siskel And Ebert.....

I think they could have made Bane a bit more of a bad-ass. I don't really think they made it clear how strong he is.

I think it's almost impossible to convey the size differences without CGI. Bane is essentially the Ultra-Steroid freak. You'd need to get Hulk Hogan and tell him he has to triple his dosages AND take acting lessons.....

This trilogy was wrapped up nicely, but should've ended at Alfred smiling and nodding at the end instead of panning over.

That would have been better. But either they had too little faith in the audience to understand the connection, or, between "Robin" and the ending, they're essentially setting up Batman, Inc.

That seems stupid for Nolan to say that. Either the character is spouting gibberish, so understanding him isn't important, or his words are meant to show his intelligence/pathos/conflicts/designs/whatever. Struggling to understand how Bane rationalized what he was doing detracted from the movie.

Yes, I think those two characters are equivalent, because they both are probably physically superior, while being emotionally opposite.

Part of me hopes the story truly is wrapped up with this film (always leave 'em wanting more...) while part of me hopes they spin this into a Nightwing movie. I think that character has just enough recognition that they could do it.

Why? There have been seventy years of Batman comics, why can't we have seventy years of Batman movies if they're done well? I have a suspicion that Warner Brothers is laying the foundation for Batman Inc, where Blake becomes the next Batman.

The one thing that really stood out, in my oppinion, was the lack of physcal ability that Bruce had to continue on as Batman. I think they protrayed just how beat down and finished his body/spirt really was.

And Catwoman....all I can say is....yes.

I'd have to go back to the other movies, but it seems like Christian Bale was smaller in this movie, which helped Bane seem a little bigger. Regarding Catwoman, they did a great job conveying her conflicted, anti-hero personality.

To wrap it up, although it took a while to get into the action from Batman's perspective, I didn't find the movie seemed long. And it did such a nice job tying in elements from the first two, I'm fairly confident it would have mentioned the Joker if Ledger hadn't died. One thing we can say about this trilogy is it raised the bar on comic adaptations.

One last thing, I find it funny that people think of themselves as DC or Marvel people. Even my daughter says she's a DC girl, but I find myself nearly 50/50 between the two universes.

Why? There have been seventy years of Batman comics, why can't we have seventy years of Batman movies if they're done well?

Oh, I hope there are more Batman films, I meant "Nolan's Batman universe" specifically. And if we can have 140 years of Batman, should be able to slide Nightwing in there SOMEWHERE. Regardless, the next Batman film (or related film) is going to naturally be compared to the Nolan series.

One last thing, I find it funny that people think of themselves as DC or Marvel people. Even my daughter says she's a DC girl, but I find myself nearly 50/50 between the two universes.

For a lot of people it can be tough to "branch out" of whatever universe they first gained interest in, and for a variety of reasons. I enjoy comics, but not enough to split my attention (and my money) in too many different directions. With the tendency for crossovers and "crisis events" it is hard enough to get a sense of a complete story of a character (how many Batman books are there right now?).

I think it's almost impossible to convey the size differences without CGI. Bane is essentially the Ultra-Steroid freak. You'd need to get Hulk Hogan and tell him he has to triple his dosages AND take acting lessons.....

I love my "pro wrestling" but it's basically acting. Plus Hogan has been in No Holds Barred and Rocky III. LoL.

This guy could've played Bane.... Ryback 6'3'' 290 Bale is 6'. But their body sizes are totally different. Tom Hardy is 5'10".

ryback.jpg

I don't think size was a big problem. Tom Hardy's traps alone are intimidating.

I liked the way they did his voice--had 0 problems understanding what he was saying. Actually, I went and saw this movie for a second time simply because of how imposing his character was. The moves he makes while talking, and the lines themselves just felt powerful to me. I suppose I'm in the minority.

Edit: I had no idea this movie was 2h45m. Didn't feel like it even the second time through.

really enjoyed the bane/bm fight in the sewer. No underlying musical score, just hardcore fighting. The abscence of sound made the fight more intense for me.

I don't think size was a big problem. Tom Hardy's traps alone are intimidating.

I liked the way they did his voice--had 0 problems understanding what he was saying. Actually, I went and saw this movie for a second time simply because of how imposing his character was. The moves he makes while talking, and the lines themselves just felt powerful to me. I suppose I'm in the minority.

Edit: I had no idea this movie was 2h45m. Didn't feel like it even the second time through.

I agree with you 100% on this one.

To me, this was the best way to finish off an amazing trilogy. I can not say which Lord of the Rings is my favorite and I feel the same about this one. They all go together so well. I am one of the rare ones. Aside from Ledger I prefer Batman Begins to The Dark Knight and for the same reasons The Dark Knight Rises would probably get the nod from me 8 times out of ten. I thought it really captured that bleak feeling of hopelessness and gave a true journey of emotion.