Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
malcb33

SK-8T fuel

While you're waiting from a response from the company, I think I can suggest an explanation for that: The coating sticks much more to the inner surface because that's where most of the blade surface area is. The edges themselves are much narrower and also more directly exposed to friction (especially friction perpendicular to their length, such as from stopping), so it sticks less to edges and it comes off much quicker. Anecdotally, I can attest to the fact that even when you spread it on pretty liberally, it has no effect on how well your edges grab the ice.

While you're waiting from a response from the company, I think I can suggest an explanation for that: The coating sticks much more to the inner surface because that's where most of the blade surface area is. The edges themselves are much narrower and also more directly exposed to friction (especially friction perpendicular to their length, such as from stopping), so it sticks less to edges and it comes off much quicker. Anecdotally, I can attest to the fact that even when you spread it on pretty liberally, it has no effect on how well your edges grab the ice.

I think you're pretty close on how it works, it looks like a lot like a lithium grease that I have seen.

Guest Marvin

I think the reason for the flop of the heated blades was mostly that they destroyed the ice too much. Thats why they werent allowed on some fields.

At the end a lot comes down to the quality of your skates.

4 hours ago, Guest Marvin said:

I think the reason for the flop of the heated blades was mostly that they destroyed the ice too much. Thats why they werent allowed on some fields.

No,  they flopped because they didn't provide enough of an improvement over conventional blades to make it worth the expense of purchasing the product and switching holders. I was working at a shop when these came out, and we were provided a couple of pairs to test. No ice damage. The steel was decent and sharpened well. The heating element quality was spotty at best and didn't always work. The guys that tested the Thermablades didn't notice any real difference in performance.  I believe those conclusions were also reached at the NHL level with their testers as well.  The blades were never approved for use at the NHL level and the product just died on the vine.    

4 hours ago, Guest Marvin said:

No idea how we had permission for a guest to post.

Fixed that - Marvin - please register.

On 12/28/2016 at 5:24 AM, Guest Marvin said:

From what I read, They were not allowed in the NHL because the NHLPA voted against using them. 4/5 players that were given thermablades didn't like them. 

On topic with SK8t fuel, this stuff sounds like a cross between car wax and rain x, I might give it a try one of these days. 

On 12/30/2016 at 2:22 PM, bondoao1 said:

From what I read, They were not allowed in the NHL because the NHLPA voted against using them. 4/5 players that were given thermablades didn't like them.

T-blades are allowed in NHL, otherwise Dennis Seidenberg of Islanders would not be wearing them. 

14 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

T-blades are allowed in NHL, otherwise Dennis Seidenberg of Islanders would not be wearing them. 

Thermablades, not T-blades. Different product.

I was under the impression Thermablades didnt make it because of not getting NHL exposure. As I thought they were deemed an advantage by the NHL competition committee and therefore banned. But anwho, I digress. IMHO Thermablades did exactly what FBV and Sk8 Fuel do. Which is add about 5% or more glide to a players stride. Got to use the Thermablades and had zero problems. Worked as advertised.

16 hours ago, All Flash said:

I was under the impression Thermablades didnt make it because of not getting NHL exposure. As I thought they were deemed an advantage by the NHL competition committee and therefore banned. But anwho, I digress. IMHO Thermablades did exactly what FBV and Sk8 Fuel do. Which is add about 5% or more glide to a players stride. Got to use the Thermablades and had zero problems. Worked as advertised.

I found the article I was talking about which explains the reason.

"While Therma Blade received approvals for its blades from the NHL, Hockey Canada and USA Hockey months ago, the poor reviews from Draper and Lapointe have prompted the NHLPA to balk at signing off on the fledgling product.

And without the approval of the players' union, the heated blades, which are attached to boots of existing skates, would no longer be able to be used in NHL games, which would be a key marketing tool for the Quebec company."

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2008/02/09/great_ones_blades_a_dud_players_report.htmlhttps://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2008/02/09/great_ones_blades_a_dud_players_report.html