Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
malcb33

SK-8T fuel

Didn't they ban those heated blades as well with the reason being they help you go too fast and would increase injuries?

I don't believe the reason for banning them was that they would go too fast. Think about it, if that really was the reason (they really did make you that much faster) they would have been a massive hit at retail, despite the cost. But they were a flop at retail. Maybe someone who knows can fill us in on why they we're banned.

I saw those here, text states that those are forbidden in the NHL but allowed within certain leagues. With a battery & the added effort I doubt anyone would switch to those even if one could...

Every now and then I still see the odd person coming in to get those installed on their jets. Maybe one every 4-6 months.

A couple years back someone was telling me how awesome they were and how fast they made him go - I asked how often he had to charge them. He wasn't aware that charging was required, had used them on his skates for almost a full season, but yet couldn't offer an explanation of how they heated up.

I have Noicing put "the sauce" on my blades. I honestly have no idea what it actually is (so not 100% sure it's relevant to this thread), but either it works or I have one hell of a placebo effect going on. I'm not a fast guy by ANY stretch of the imagination, but the first game after putting fresh runners on I feel like I'm flying.

Maybe a case of post hoc ergo propter hoc going on here for me, but for the dollar or whatever it is, I'll keep doing it.

So, I did pick this up from Total Hockey to try it out for myself. My steel setup are Nitinol runners sharpened with FBV. I've used it for just over a month, first applying it to a set of steel that was just about due for a sharpening, and then on a second set of sharpened, yet to be skated on steel. Not sure how the Nitinol steel plays into what I have experienced or whether other skaters will notice similar results with other steel.

However, I have noticed:

1 - an increase in glide

2 - an increase in edge control

3 - longer sharpening life

4 - very little snow buildup on the blades

Next time I get my skates sharpened I plan on coating only one runner for a better analysis.

I have it for my personal consumption.

The biggest thing I found was lack of snow buildup, not much else. Did make it seem like my skates had a little less edge than normal though (I sharpen my own skates on my own machine, fairly certain it wasn't because I sharpened them any different)...

Zach

I did try it only one skate and did noticed a slight difference. Like everything else I'm sure profile, ROH, and skating style all play into it. Factoring in the number of applications you get out of the jar it's not expensive to use, so I plan on sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

I did try it only one skate and did noticed a slight difference. Like everything else I'm sure profile, ROH, and skating style all play into it. Factoring in the number of applications you get out of the jar it's not expensive to use, so I plan on sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

In order to do the experiment objectively have someone else put it on for you but not tell you which skate has it.

I didn't know which runner had it. I applied it to one of the runners of my second set of steel and placed them back in the Bauer storage case. By the time I got to using the second set of steel some 3-weeks later I had no idea which blade was which. Installed the runners and knew which one it was when I skated on them. I'm older, but not crazy. No way I'm letting my wife touch any of my equipment! :ph34r:

just purchased this for 15 on sale.

i told my son i was going to put it on his skates.

i asked him if he noticed anything about the feel of his skates the last time out (him knowing i was going to put it on and it arrived a week previous)...he said yes....but i didn;t put anything on last time out.......lol @ placebo effect.

it's going on tonight. i dunno if this is a good move as his 1st day tryouts are happening. we will see, and i will ask him again how his skates feel.. they were just sharpened.

Just my opinion, I believe I can feel a difference. I'm not the fastest skater so I look for anything that will help with speed. I tried "Sauce" and couldn't really tell a difference but can with SK8T Fuel. Its not huge or anything. Prob just 5-10% improvement in speed and glide but when your slow that can make a noticeable difference.

I use it, and have given some of the skates I sharpen the blind test. Not everyone liked it. I like it, but honestly, it doesn't make a big enough difference given the price. Just my opinion.

Zach

Hello Everybody!

I sincerely apologize on the delay of this response. I am the new Sales Manager for SK-8T Fuel and I would like to answer any and all questions pertaining to the product!

I read about some skepticism as well as some great results after trying the product! It's great to hear some of you are enjoying SK-8T Fuel!

Let me answer some basic questions below and if i miss anything feel free to ask and I will provide the answer:

What is SK-8T Fuel:

It is a post sharpening blade coating that allows for increased performance of the blade. It creates a permanent liquid barrier on your skate blade by adhering to the very fine metal pores on the blade.This liquid barrier improves and smoothes blade glide but more importantly, it provides a liquid barrier when cornering and cutting hard. It also resists snow build up on the blade of the skate and prevents rusting of the blade.

Why is this important?

We all know that when you skate you essentially glide on a thin layer of water. When you cut hard into the ice during a turn, the water is expelled from beneath the blade due to the force exerted by your body and its weight. This results in the blade creating lots of friction with the ice and thus the player losing momentum, loosing blade responsiveness.

Through the use of SK-8T Fuel, the player experiences less fatigue due to less effort expended during cutting/turning motions.

Who Uses it?

SK-8T Fuel is endorsed by Ryan Nugent-Hopkins of the Edmonton Oilers. He uses the product and swears by it. It is also used by the world champion Redbull Crashed Ice racers, Scott and Kyle Croxall. Beyond them, it is used by numerous high level players at both the professional and non professional levels. It is approved for use in the NHL and has also been tested on the world figure skating platform.

Videos and Testimonies

Below are some links to our european website where you can see our testimonies as well as what the WHL Red Deer Rebels head Trainer had to say about it.

WHL Trainer Testimony Video:

http://sk8fueleurope.wix.com/sk8#!video-&-news

Other Testimonies

http://sk8fueleurope.wix.com/sk8#!pros-vs-joes

Any other questions please ask! We would love to have you as a part of our team this season.

The problem with leaving it on the blade is that the excess that is not permanently on the steel would just rub off and then cause complications for the ice. It would make the ice have a harder time freezing wherever the residue is left. To avoid this we recommend wiping the excess off.

I have no idea if this actually works, but wouldn't reducing "friction by maintaining a permanent liquid layer between the skate blade and ice surface" be the same thing Thermablades tried to achieve?

Hey malcb33!

SK-8T Fuel works by creating the permanent liquid barrier as you mentioned. What most people don't know is that when you glide on ice, your blade glides on a thin layer of water that is created from the melting of the ice due to friction. When you corner and turn this water is displaced due to compression. Water is not compressible, therefore it displaces and creates huge friction between the blade and the ice. SK-8T Fuel helps to reduce this friction during aggressive cornering and cutting.

It is a very scientific product that is proven to work and is endorsed by Ryan Nugent Hopkins. He and many team trainers swear by the product and claim to feel signifiant improvement. Remember though, they are on their skates all day and notice even the slightest difference so for them it has dramatic impact.

Marketing.

There's no way any liquid/paste/wax/oil/ointment remains on the bottom of your blade after your first shift.

I would argue that its probably gone by the time you skate your first lap in warm ups.

Hi notquitedeadyet,

To answer your question, the SK-8T Fuel does not come off after warm ups. The way it stays on is by permeating the pours in the steel and adhering to it. Much like grease on a moving engine, even if it is wiped off, it remains slightly. Only with SK-8T Fuel it has been formulated to stick MUCH BETTER and it takes the average player at least 2-3 games before they would need to re apply it. If you are a heavier skater then 2 games is recommended.

Hope this answers your question!

I have no idea if this actually works, but wouldn't reducing "friction by maintaining a permanent liquid layer between the skate blade and ice surface" be the same thing Thermablades tried to achieve?

SK-8T Fuel works by creating the permanent liquid barrier as you mentioned. What most people don't know is that when you glide on ice, your blade glides on a thin layer of water that is created from the melting of the ice due to friction. When you corner and turn this water is displaced due to compression. Water is not compressible, therefore it displaces and creates huge friction between the blade and the ice. SK-8T Fuel helps to reduce this friction during aggressive cornering and cutting.

It is a very scientific product that is proven to work and is endorsed by Ryan Nugent Hopkins. He and many team trainers swear by the product and claim to feel signifiant improvement. Remember though, they are on their skates all day and notice even the slightest difference so for them it has dramatic impact.

Edited by Gummer12

The problem with leaving it on the blade is that the excess that is not permanently on the steel would just rub off and then cause complications for the ice. It would make the ice have a harder time freezing wherever the residue is left. To avoid this we recommend wiping the excess off.

Hey malcb33!

Hi notquitedeadyet,

To answer your question, the SK-8T Fuel does not come off after warm ups. The way it stays on is by permeating the pours in the steel and adhering to it. Much like grease on a moving engine, even if it is wiped off, it remains slightly. Only with SK-8T Fuel it has been formulated to stick MUCH BETTER and it takes the average player at least 2-3 games before they would need to re apply it. If you are a heavier skater then 2 games is recommended.

Hope this answers your question!

Awesome, I'm sure those guys have been eagerly awaiting answers for the last four years.

• Like 2

Awesome, I'm sure those guys have been eagerly awaiting answers for the last four years.

Unfortunately we had no one in the company to manage to online questions previously but now we do! But it is still important to us to now go back and answer these questions for anyone who is still interested. We want our consumers to have a clear understanding of our products benefits and features. And future readers may want more concrete answers :)

It's always nice to have a representative from a company on board that is willing to help out people interested in their products.

tried this and other brands years ago and didn't notice much, if anything. Had forgotten about it all until this, so i guess your marketing did something... How though can you increase glide without effecting "bite"?