Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nicksmission14

Durability of Intermediate sticks...

CCM make ints with the Lecavalier curve, which I think is pretty close to a Drury?

No its close to the Iginla this year.

I'm 5'7 as well and prefer (HAVE to use to be able to shoot well) whippy sticks, which can be tricky because I like to cut mine to my upper lip standing in shoes. I've tried a handful of different intermediate sticks: one95 shaft, one95 stick'um (both in 67 flex), Harrow 300 shaft (60 flex, at least it's marked at that), and Base Savoy special (55 flex ops and 45 flex shaft)). The one95s felt great at stock lengths but once I'd cut them down felt too stiff for getting a decent shot off in a game. The Harrow was stiff off the bat and obviously even more so once I had it to my preferred length. The first Base, the ops, was even a hair stiffer than I'd like once I'd cut it (I have repetitive strain in my left shoulder and I shoot left so it can get really irritated if I'm having to work too much to load the stick) and after that one died following a breakaway-ending slash, I went with the 45 flex Base shaft, which I cut about 3" off of once putting a blade in.

Going back to the topic, as I mentioned the Base ops is the only stick I've had snap on me and that wasn't a direct result of shooting. Granted I don't play as often as some people on here, so take this for what it's worth.

I'm about 5' 11" and 170, and my lhs refuses to sell me an intermediate.

Ok, ok, not "refuses", but when I've asked about them they immediately answer "You'll break it."

I'm close just got a few pounds on you. I am the exact same way. When I went in to buy my last sticks, they almost didn't want to sell me the stick. I had to force them to hand me over a 70 flex w a 2-3in plug.

More OT. I am sure a 65-70 flex would be fine for you. Even at 5'7, you'd need to maybe cut off a couple inches maximum, unless you like your sticks to be like golf clubs for some reason. If you find a random stick with a 60 flex, go for it, but at the same time you need to go in with the thought process of how to use it, so it won't break.

For example, I only take snappers and wristers so these whipper sticks are perfect for my shot.

Another option is stiffer intermediate sticks. At retail, Bauer offers the X60 and Total One in 75 flex at intermediate length. I've been using an X60 75 flex intermediate for a few months and they are perfect when cut to length for slappers and snappers, and it is light enough for wristers to be pretty effective as well. Warrior's 70 flex seems a hair stiffer than your average intermediate as well. I just picked up a Dolomite 70 flex intermediate this weekend and after cutting it down, it's definitely just a bit softer than the 75 flex X60 (and blade feel seems a lot softer). We'll see how it plays out, but I'm hoping it is my main forward stick and I'll use the X60 for defense and practices, because it's a friggin tank.

So my two cents...if you take lots of slappers, go with the 75 flex X60 or Total One. If you really want that whippy feel, check out a Warrior intermediate.

This.

I'm 5'8 and 175lb and use a 75 flex int TotalOne cut down 2 inches..works a treat!

5'4" ~135 lbs. I use a 67 flex intermediate which I cut down about 2 inches. I just broke my first stick after 1 1/2 years of use playing 2-3 times per week in a no-check beer league. I think the durability of intermediate sticks are no less than senior sticks and, personally feel that more beer-league type players would benefit from taking a look at intermediate sticks (although perhaps in a different flex). I know a number of people I play with have swallowed their pride and gone from a senior to an intermediate and kick themselves for not making the change sooner. The only difficulty I sometimes have with intermediate sticks is that there seems to be less of an available selection in many models below the absolute top of the line and given my level of play it I find it unnecessary to use a top $$ stick.

I wish the Drury curve was an option for Int OPS.

If you like 65 flex, check out the Battleaxe sticks. They have the Drury curve and are really high performance and light weight. Only downside is that it snapped on me from taking slappers as the shaft walls were thin, but the BX12 or BX7 might hold up better. The BX12 is reinforced throughout the shaft and the BX7 probably has a bit more fiberglass for durability. I believe the BX10 is 100% graphite (felt like it anyway, super light).

There's always 2-piece as well...

I just bought a 65 flex EQ50 via eBay for a good price and I got a little nervous after I paid. My last stick was an INT TO 75 flex and it was nice but broke due to unfortunate position of the stick inbetween bodies. My only concern is when I used the TO I weighed about 158-161 during the time of use and I got lazy this off season and now weigh around 170. I know I'll have to cut it about an inch or inch and a half but I was thinking about cutting it a lil more and throwing a wooden plug in it. How much stiffness do you guys think it will add??

Ints are no different than a sr stick in that regard, I would guess it works out to 2 or 3 per inch.

Somewhat irrelevant now as they're discontinued, but with the Warrior clearance, I picked up a Dolomite DD intermediate (70 flex) and it was too whippy for me. Sold it and got a Dolomite Spyne DD senior (75 flex) and the flex is perfect. Very comparable to the Bauer 75 flex intermediates, which are also on clearance some places but still more money. Excellent feel on the blades too. Just a heads up for any other 'tweeners out there.

Somewhat irrelevant now as they're discontinued, but with the Warrior clearance, I picked up a Dolomite DD intermediate (70 flex) and it was too whippy for me. Sold it and got a Dolomite Spyne DD senior (75 flex) and the flex is perfect. Very comparable to the Bauer 75 flex intermediates, which are also on clearance some places but still more money. Excellent feel on the blades too. Just a heads up for any other 'tweeners out there.

I was thinkin about pickin one of those up, is it the one that is green and silver?

interesting thread...I am 5'10" and 170lbs and have pretty much always used a 100 flex stick, but am interested in trying a softer flex, somewhere in 80-85 range after cutting the stick down. Because of this thread, I was looking at intermediate sticks in my lhs this weekend and noticed that uncut, there were the perfect height for where I'd cut a senior stick. Didn't end up getting one though, thought the 67 flex would be too whippy.

Yeah they were. The 2011 dd is supposed to have bad durability. But it does have great puck feel!

Sorta off topic, but autocorrect turns spyne to soybean? What the hell Droid!

Yes the silver and green/orange sticks are Dolomites while the silver and blue/gold sticks Spyne. Very confusing. The Spyne sticks are supposed to have "linear taper" (mid-kick) while the Dolomites are suppose to have "precision taper" (low-kick). Oddly enough the Spyne 75 flex senior with similar construction and kick point compared to the AK27 70 flex intermediate felt whippier yet kicked harder.

To summarize...

70 flex intermediate Dolomite had okay kick and flex felt whippy

70 flex intermediate AK27 2-piece had mediocre kick and flex felt stiff

75 flex senior Spyne had great kick and flex feels perfect

75 flex intermediate X60 had excellent kick and flex feels perfect

75 flex senior Dolomite flex felt stiff (didn't use it on ice but have had three in the past that had great kick to them)

And yes, the DD Warrior blades feel as good as or better than the One95's that I used. Not sure about durability yet.

Bumping an old topic but does anyone notice a significant difference in shaft shape / size going from a senior stick to an intermediate? I use 75 flex tapered shafts at the moment but I'm toying with the idea of getting an intermediate 75 flex OPS.

Bumping an old topic but does anyone notice a significant difference in shaft shape / size going from a senior stick to an intermediate? I use 75 flex tapered shafts at the moment but I'm toying with the idea of getting an intermediate 75 flex OPS.

I made the move twice, S17 and Warrior Kronik. For some reason I find the jump in shaft size between easton Int and Senior is a lot bigger than Warrior. Just my two cents.

As far as I can tell, the shift is thinner, the blade seems to be a bit smaller, and the flex is usually less than the senoir sticks.

For me, I'm only 5'5" and cut off all the flex by the time I've hacked it. I just can't seem to find a Lidstrom/Getzlaf curve in intermediate. :(

I'm 5' 10" and use 95-112 flex sticks. I encourage you to build upper body strength and see what a high flex stick can do for you. I once bought 3 Easton Int sticks for super cheap (65 flex) and broke them all on a weekend. Never again

I'm 5' 10" and use 95-112 flex sticks. I encourage you to build upper body strength and see what a high flex stick can do for you. I once bought 3 Easton Int sticks for super cheap (65 flex) and broke them all on a weekend. Never again

Strength has nothing to do with it, its all technique. You think the NHL'ers who use sub-90 flexes are 'weaker' than you, who uses 95-112?

Don't push what works for you onto others.