Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

puckhoggy

Weight vest - what brand/model to get?

im toying with the idea of trying on a weighted vest during ice time. Therefore it would have to go under my hockey gear.

Does anyone have personal experience with one, as well as a recommendation on what brand and weight capacity to look into?

Thanks.

im toying with the idea of trying on a weighted vest during ice time. Therefore it would have to go under my hockey gear.

Does anyone have personal experience with one, as well as a recommendation on what brand and weight capacity to look into?

Thanks.

I bought one on closeout that is only 15 pounds. Didn't seem like much but holy crap, playing pickup with it on is unbelievably difficult. You notice it right away. I guess it depends on how strong you already are but I found 15 pounds to be plenty. The next one up was 40 pounds and was quite expensive. I got mine for around $90 on closeout.

15 lbs. is more than adequate for most training purposes. Don't forget, whatever vest you're wearing is directly put into your sticks, so go a bit softer with your shots. You'll still get the same result.

15 lbs. is more than adequate for most training purposes. Don't forget, whatever vest you're wearing is directly put into your sticks, so go a bit softer with your shots. You'll still get the same result.

A weight vest will have nothing to do with your shot, unless you're essentially laying on it when you shoot. It would take a seriously poor shooting form to impact your shot in any way.

Thanks. I figured anything sub 20lbs. Would be ideal. Good to know 15lbs. is good enough as well. Any experience with MIR vests?

I have both a short weighted vest and a slim weighted vest from MiR. I've never taken them on the ice, mainly because I'm too lazy to drag the vests to the rink. Note I have them loaded up with 30 lbs, which would be way too much for skating with. I find the short one is more comfortable for breathing as it rides your upper chest and shoulders, but you can feel a shift in your CofG higher up. The slim fit vest has the your weight more evenly distributed down your torso so your CofG is less impacted with the same weight. I found the slim vest hotter and less comfortable for breath as it covers more of your body. They are both very durable, but expensive.

Both vests are hot. Under hockey equipment you'll be sweating without doing much (assuming your shoulder pads fit over the vest). I see on their website that they have a new model this year for an "Air Flow" vest. This may be more comfortable temperature-wise, but I've never tried it so I'm just guessing. Maybe I'll drop the weight in my vests this winter and try to play with it on the outdoor rinks. It might be a strange sensation - being hot from the nylon not breathing, but cold from the steel packets.....

A weight vest will have nothing to do with your shot, unless you're essentially laying on it when you shoot. It would take a seriously poor shooting form to impact your shot in any way.

Considering it is weight added to your shoulders, above your midsection, which in turn propel your arms through the stick during the shooting motion, I don't exactly understand your one and done response.

kesselx.jpg

Your upper body directly impacts how much your shaft bends. Adding fifteen pounds, for me an extra 10% of body weight, above the lower hand of your shaft will effect how much force is put through your stick.

Of course, your definition of a good shooting motion and mine are probably vastly different.

You want the weight as centered to yourself as possible. Around the hips IMO would be ideal, skate weights tend to throw off your natural stride mechanics, likely because we all subconsciously cheat when things get harder.

MiR weighted vests are excellent. I've never used one to play in, but I don't see it being an issue as long as it fits under your pads.

I'm in the market for a weighted vest, things have changed since 2011 so any recommendations? Would ideally be looking for 20lbs + more. 

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2011 at 11:18 PM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

You might want to look at Bronco Hockey they have a weight belt that has been working very well even more so with younger kids because you can adjust the weights!

This is the right answer, IMO. A weight vest puts the added weight too high in relation to your center of gravity, and ankle weights only work the upwards motion of lifting your legs, hitting only your hip flexors. The weight belt doesn't change your center of gravity and allows you to work all the muscles involved in actually generating power in your stride. I have one of those and liked it but it's been gathering dust for about a year because the extra weight really bothered my knees. If you already have any knee or hip issues, added weight adds that much more stress and wear & tear on all the cartilage involved.

A weight vest *might* transfer some of its weight down through your shot, but what's the point? The whole purpose of training with extra weight is to develop the muscles involved, not to give you a mechanical advantage that's only there while you're wearing it. If anything, that would be counterproductive because you'd be relying on weight that isn't there when you're playing; that's the exact opposite of what you're trying to do by adding some weight while practicing.