Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Kirsch

I want to play goalie

Previously, I played roller hockey. I haven't played for a year or two and want to start playing hockey again. I've always wanted to play ice hockey, and I've always wanted to give goalie a shot. So putting it all together, I want to play goalie in a beer league or some sort of adult league. (I'm going to be 25 soon)

How feasible is this?

I've never played ice hockey, and can't skate for shit. I have an idea what I need for equipment and all that, but how big of an asshole am I going to be just showing up and saying, I want to play goalie? Obviously, I would try and get out a couple of times a week to skate before entering a league.

Thoughts? Ideas? Tips? Words of discouragement?

I want to get back out there and play some hockey, so might as well try something new.

Find the equipment and go to a pick up session...that's what I did in January and I'm one of the better goalies in our league (I turn 25 later this week too).

First off, you're crazy for trying...but then again you have to be a bit crazy to play the position so maybe you're onto something.

It's a tough position to get into, considering the costs. I had a good way in because the weekly ball hockey game I was playing in needed a second full time goalie so I bought the cheapest gear I could find and played...poorly at first.

For ice though, I have no clue what's the best way but if you access to the gear, just play every practice, pick up session, fill in game you can and you'll get better. Obviously try first, before you commit to anything crazy. I have friends who thought goalie was easy and came out of the game crying that it was too difficult and haven't looked back.

If you play and think it's for you, definitely go out and find a goalie class to take. I took 4 sessions with a great goalie and he thought me the basics, properly so I don't make fundamental mistakes and it really does help.

Good luck. I tried it for a couple of "fun" games and I was blown away by how physically demanding it is. The athleticism required is astounding. My lack of said athleticism is equally astounding.

I don't think there's anything crazy about it if you play in enough pickups to hone your skills. In other words, I don't think a month's worth of twice a week would be enough, but six month's worth probably would.

So I would find pickups that have openings, meaning there are some pickups with regular goalies who'd probably be irritated with someone cutting into their playing time, particularly someone new. Conversely, there are pickups like the one I play in when I wait until fifteen minutes to go, hoping that goalies will show, because I've become the designated goalie if we need one.

Then you need to work on positioning. I feel that solid goaltending is like solid outfield play. Just as a great fielder makes a catch look routine by sprinting to a spot and catching the ball while standing, versus timing and diving, a great goalie puts himself in such a position that he doesn't have to flash out glove, stick or legs, because he's left the player with nothing to shoot at. Of course, following up on some of the rebounds might require a little flash.....

Edited by Jason Harris

I didnt start playing goalie until i was over 30. My friend gave me his old gear because he upgraded all his. I cannot tell you how much fun I had! I love playing goalie.

Like others said I would play a good amount of sticktimes, then pick ups. Don't be frustrated when you have rough spots, tough it out :D

But I would NOT go for a team/league unless I was pretty sure I was good enough to do it. Nothing worse than being told yer off the team cuz you suck...

Not sure, but its nice to meet another Kirsch. Long lost cousin? lol

Well my last name is Kirschbaum, people just call me Kirsch.

Good luck. I tried it for a couple of "fun" games and I was blown away by how physically demanding it is. The athleticism required is astounding. My lack of said athleticism is equally astounding.

Yeah this is certainly going to be a long term project. I have a lot of conditioning to do before I get out on the ice.

speaking of conditioning...its a different kind of conditioning then skating out. You need to be quick and strong for brief (15-30 secs) periods. i.e. holding yourself up on one leg against the pipe or using one leg to push your body across and then back.

stretch...alot, including your hips be very flexible before you start

Do one legged squats because you will be doing alot of one leg ups...your butt, hams and quads all need to be strong

as some one said, it requires an amazing amount of athleticism

I'm sure someone with more experience than me can add more

Edited by doodman

So how difficult is this going to be for someone that hasn't ice skated in 15 years or so?

On that note, would I be ok just showing up to an open ice thing to skate around with goalie skates, or should I get another pair to "learn on" or something?

On conditioning: search for Maria Mountain on YouTube. She's a [very good] fitness coach who specializes in goalies. She's posted dozens of short stretching-conditioning videos.

More generally, check out the bulletin board at Goaliestore.com. It's similar to ModSquad but 100% on goal tending. There is tons of stuff there.

Welcome to the best position in the game. As legendary BU coach, Jack Parker, has said many times, "During the regular season, the sport is called hockey. During the playoffs, it's called goalie."

So how difficult is this going to be for someone that hasn't ice skated in 15 years or so?

On that note, would I be ok just showing up to an open ice thing to skate around with goalie skates, or should I get another pair to "learn on" or something?

Goalie skating is a lot different than player skating. Long blade, less support, different movements, and more restrictive gear make it a challenge. You will probably struggle in the beginning but get the hang of it through practice. If you want to get good at goalie or learn the right way, you will need goalie skates, if you learn on player skates you will not learn correctly and it will take you longer to get used to the movements.

That being said, your best bet is to go to sticktimes and open pickups and just practice. Sticktime is good for working by yourself and getting used to moving around and feeling out the position. Players at sticktime will only try breakaways on you 99% of the time so you can try and play against them but in my experience, all it does it make you pull muscles and tire you out fast.

Open hockey is the best practice and learning tool because you will get as close to real game playing as possible. You will learn to face shots, react to passing, etc than sticktime can't teach you. Most players will be happy to have any goalie in net so don't worry about showing up and being terrible.

Finally, just go on craigslist or ebay and outfit yourself with proper fitting gear or borrow/buy from someone and try it out. I made the leap and I love it doing what I said above. I have been playing goal for about 10 months and am going to start looking for a team to play for as I feel that I am ready to play in a league. I would advise against jumping into a league early because if you can't handle it, the players will get frustrated when you let in 15 goals a game, unless you get on a team or league that is beginners only!

I think some of you guys are going to scare the kid into thinking he can't play if he's not Charles Atlas.

I've always described the difference between the two as "Skating out is a burnout. You skate hard, exhaust yourself, then recover to start all over. Playing goalie is more like a leak in your tire that is slowly letting out the air." If you're in decent shape, I think you'll find that 95% of the play isn't exhausting by itself; it's just the sum total of 90 minutes of excess weight and heat that combines with all the movement to sap your energy. However, you will have some flurries (5%) with five shots in twenty seconds that leave you panting. It's times like those when you're really hoping for the puck to clear the zone so you can get a chance to recover.

Goalie is the only position where you have to play 100% or everything is going in the net, there is no coasting and your teammates pick up the slack.

Your analysis of 'flurries' of activities is pretty spot on. If your team is decent and can maintain offensive zone pressure then yes, its not as hard, but PKs and long defensive zone action can challenge your endurance (and its still a different endurance than skating out). I skated out for 15 years and couldn't believe the energy required to play goalie.

Thanks for all the great advice folks. I'm definitely going to give this a shot. At this point it's a matter of getting gear and getting myself physically ready to play.

Goalie skating is a lot different than player skating. Long blade, less support, different movements, and more restrictive gear make it a challenge. You will probably struggle in the beginning but get the hang of it through practice. If you want to get good at goalie or learn the right way, you will need goalie skates, if you learn on player skates you will not learn correctly and it will take you longer to get used to the movements.

That being said, your best bet is to go to sticktimes and open pickups and just practice. Sticktime is good for working by yourself and getting used to moving around and feeling out the position. Players at sticktime will only try breakaways on you 99% of the time so you can try and play against them but in my experience, all it does it make you pull muscles and tire you out fast.

Open hockey is the best practice and learning tool because you will get as close to real game playing as possible. You will learn to face shots, react to passing, etc than sticktime can't teach you. Most players will be happy to have any goalie in net so don't worry about showing up and being terrible.

Finally, just go on craigslist or ebay and outfit yourself with proper fitting gear or borrow/buy from someone and try it out. I made the leap and I love it doing what I said above. I have been playing goal for about 10 months and am going to start looking for a team to play for as I feel that I am ready to play in a league. I would advise against jumping into a league early because if you can't handle it, the players will get frustrated when you let in 15 goals a game, unless you get on a team or league that is beginners only!

What I mean about skating is should the first time I skate in 15 years really be in full gear for a open hockey session, or should I buy my skates and just go to some public skating and mess around to get the hang of being on the ice?

Edited by Kirsch

I'd definitely hit the ice a few times. It's totally different skating in players gear(let alone goalie gear. I don't play goalie), but you need to be comfortable on the ice before you'll be comfortable playing the puck. I just play in C league, but the biggest thing I've noticed is how much of a difference it makes when someone can skate. I've honestly seen guys that can stand in one spot and play with the puck and they luck good...until they start to try to move around. I've heard many times from different people who have played goalie and coached, that the goalie on a team should be the best skater.

Thankfully I found this. I've been playing right wing for about a year now and I'm wanting to play goalie. It's hard to find used gear cause there aren't many people my size or female and goalie in my league. I scored some gear last night but most of it is big. I'm lucky to know people that are interested in giving advice and can find ice time. Any tips would be wonderful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashtasticness said:

Thankfully I found this. I've been playing right wing for about a year now and I'm wanting to play goalie. It's hard to find used gear cause there aren't many people my size or female and goalie in my league. I scored some gear last night but most of it is big. I'm lucky to know people that are interested in giving advice and can find ice time. Any tips would be wonderful.

With this thread being as old and short as it is, you should also check out this thread http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/66097-starting-in-goal-as-an-adult/

Pickup or just a public skate is the best way to get started. I would encourage the public skate and just put on the gear to get used to everything and practice some slides. Try finding some cheap gear from Play-It-Again or a similar company. You might be able to find some good deals on gear from different stores since new gear is starting to enter the market. I actually just started 5 months ago at the age of 19. I've had a blast so far. Just keep in mind that you've got to be willing to learn and forget any mistakes that you may make (after you learn from them of course). Have fun and just focus on being square to the puck to begin with!

Lol I live in Florida. Our rink doesn't even have a pro shop. I know 2 female goalies. 1 I met today who is in town between school semesters. Another is in women's travel and I never see.  There's no chance play it again has hockey gear here. I've talked to some guys that are around my height. 1 is giving me skates and a blocker/catcher set tuesday night. I'm really picky about gear. It has to feel right and If I don't feel right I won't play right so I'll probably scour the internet for a good deal on something I really like. One thing I'm worried about is this bothering my knees. Do you just get used to it over time?  My family is riddled with bad knees. Everyone on my mom's side has had knee surgery just from genetically crappy knees. Everyone I've talked to said being goalie was the best decision they've ever made and I'm currently at a crossroads in my hockey "career".