Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

danglerod26

Pros wearing vapor x7.0 skates ?

Well we all know by now that spec for spec the x7.0 and x60 are the same skate. But from what I've gathered most people don't like the cut of the boot on the apx. So I figured most pros were gonna have custom x7.0s

I attended the Avalanche Training camp recently, and was looking at players skates at various times during drills. I was surprised by how many players were in the CCM U+ CL's, it seemed like at least half. Next were the Total Ones, by a good margin, they were similar in number to the CCM's. I saw about a dozen Vapors X:60's if I had to guess. A handful of Reebok 11k's, and one wearing Flexlites. I did not notice anyone wearing the APX's. Now I didn't sit there and count these or anything but that is what I seem to remember. Was most surprised at the number of CCM's.

The only difference between 7.0 and x60 is more ankle padding in 7.0

saying that, the few custom apx skates i've seen from players who are pros (AHL, ECHL, juniors players), only one has been an x60 dressed as a apx. The skate had 7.0 tongue (same as x60), same liner, had totaledge comfort, and the alive composite boot, but besides that, it was an x60.

the other custom apx I have seen only had a width change, other then that stock apx.

Was most surprised at the number of CCM's.

could it be maybe cuz of all the juniors at training camp? doesnt ccm do a lot for the CHL?

I'm wondering if that's because the APX is less "customizable" than the previous boot. Once this boot is puked out of the mold machine there isn't much that can be done to size it any differently than just with cosmetics. It's kinda like either it fits your foot or it doesn't. Not a lot of room to "punch them out" in spots or anything. Glad mine fit my feet cuz they're really light and feel great for me. If I were an NHL player I know I'd be pissed if they tried to push an APX on me and my foot didn't fit it. Methinks this is why the APX and 7.0 look remarkably similar from a distance for the camera.

An APX built in St. Jerome is just as "customizable" as any boot previously made. I have done two already in the shop that had options built in beyond retail APX skates. So there is more to what can be done with an APX than you think. I just wanted to clarify that.

The actual performance differences between one year's top end skates and the next are generally close to non-existent. The improvements from year to year add up over time, so that a modern skate has major advantages over a 10 year old skate, but from year to year the differences tend to be pretty minimal. Hell, some guys are still more or less skating on Supreme 8090s (totalone classics). Pros tend to be creatures of habit, them being used to last year's product generally outweighs the minor improvements in a new product, and besides, every so often companies do put out duds, so staying a little behind the curve allows them to hear about which products are legit improvements and which products are more of a step backwards. As stated, the 7.0s are basically X60s, so many pros are sticking with them because they know that they're used to the skate, and that it works well for them. In a few years we'll probably have a thread asking "why are all these guys in Apxs instead of insert shiny new Bauer skate?"

Agreed with Tondog though that it was smart to make the 7.0s look basically identical to the Apxs, pros can wear what they want and it doesn't look bad on Bauer (unlike, say, CCM, where many of their top pros were rocking the old, blue/silver U+ pro reloadeds instead of the new, very different looking U+ CLs).

could it be maybe cuz of all the juniors at training camp? doesnt ccm do a lot for the CHL?

many of the equipment managers are sales reps for manufactures , like the sharks manager for instance is a sales rep for graf, notice a large number of sharks players are outfitted in graf. it seems like skate trends change with each team. caps are like 95% bauer, etc

An APX built in St. Jerome is just as "customizable" as any boot previously made. I have done two already in the shop that had options built in beyond retail APX skates. So there is more to what can be done with an APX than you think. I just wanted to clarify that.

The extra 1/8" in the right toe cap is a thing of beauty! Haha

Can they change the actual mold of the boot outer though would be my question?

Yes, because "the boot is NOT puked out of the mold machine." I have ordered a EEE with extra room from the toe box back, etc.If you have an experienced custom fitter, the boot is built around the measurements.

I'm not surprised to hear the current CCM U+ sightings. That boot fits a lot like a Supreme.

i thought the U+ is similar to vapor fit? and 11k is similar to supreme. i had one95s in D width and could not fit in a D width U+ at all (not doubting you as i know u know your stuff but i thought that was the "concensus")

I've been in a pair of U+ for about 3 weeks now. They are a D width as I usually wear in Supreme. I leave the laces loose down low and have about a 3.5" spread across the tongue. It is crazy but I don't mind at all. I am using 120" laces on a size 6 skate. I baked the boot a few times and did some punch outs on the outside ankle bones to tweak the fit. Every foot is different but these boots have a Supreme fit for me. Strange, I guess.

I've been in a pair of U+ for about 3 weeks now. They are a D width as I usually wear in Supreme. I leave the laces loose down low and have about a 3.5" spread across the tongue. It is crazy but I don't mind at all. I am using 120" laces on a size 6 skate. I baked the boot a few times and did some punch outs on the outside ankle bones to tweak the fit. Every foot is different but these boots have a Supreme fit for me. Strange, I guess.

I agree with you in that they do fit similar. A big difference I find between the two is that the toe cap on the Supremes are boxier than the rounded caps of the CCMs and a lot of people in wider feet that I COULD fit into CCMs had to go Supreme because their toes were just too wide for the CCM cap.

many of the equipment managers are sales reps for manufactures , like the sharks manager for instance is a sales rep for graf, notice a large number of sharks players are outfitted in graf. it seems like skate trends change with each team. caps are like 95% bauer, etc

Wow, this is so incorrect I don't even know where to start.

The X7.0 has a bit more ankle padding.

Just to set the record straight, the X 7.0 does NOT have any more ankle padding than the X60 skates. This is truth.

Comparing the U+ with the One95 (both 6.5D) width and heel felt similar. But the U+ was slightly deeper than the One95, which for my feet was a good thing. Like Darkstar I don't tighten the laces down low at all. Am using 108" laces in the 6.5 but I don't lace the top eyelets.