Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Easton E700 Helmet Teardown

Has anybody else with a Matte Black model noticed any "soft spots" in the shell of the helmet? Playing around with mine, I noticed a couple spots where I could easily flex the shell of the helmet with my thumb, seems like there are a couple voids between the shell and the foam...most notably right in the front between the 2 screws for mounting a cage....Checked out a couple of other E700's at a local shop and couldn't flex the shell on the regualr black or white helmets, but could feel the flex in the matte black models they had on display....(kinda hard to take a picture of it, hope I explained that well enough)

I felt those spots too on myregular black helmet. Noticed it along the areas where the Easton wordmarks are on the sides of the helmet.

Got a hit to the head and my cage literally popped off. I always make sure the screws are properly fastened before each game, but both screws popped off from the front after the hit. Didnt know what to make of it...

Got a hit to the head and my cage literally popped off. I always make sure the screws are properly fastened before each game, but both screws popped off from the front after the hit. Didnt know what to make of it...

were you using the screws supplied with the helmet? I think they are too short to be used with a cage, as I disussed in a previous post on this thread...I have been using a set of bauer hardware with no problems yet.

were you using the screws supplied with the helmet? I think they are too short to be used with a cage, as I disussed in a previous post on this thread...I have been using a set of bauer hardware with no problems yet.

Yeah, most screws that come with the helmet are just placeholders for when you're not using a cage. I made that mistake once.

I know I didn't use the stock screws, but I guess I could something a bit longer than the ones that were installed. I didn't want to damage the helmet since its just so nice lol.

Can anyone comment how this fits compared to the Reebok 8k? The 8k fits pretty much perfectly, sans the temples for some reason. Unfortunately, it's pretty worn down at this point and the HECC cert is done in February. I really don't like cheaping out on helmets and this sounds perfect, not to mention the matte black looks great.

Medium 8k was a little tight on me, large was little loose. I fit comfortably into a medium, might even be able to swing a small.

I got this helmet a few days after it came out and have been playing 2-3 times a week since. This thread and JR's breakdown helped me seal the deal on buying it, so I thought I'd throw up some of my observations for the benefit of others out there.

A couple of my observations:

Finish - The matte black looks amazing. However, scratches are white (I guess the plastic underneath the finish is white? or perhaps its just "stressed plastic"?). So i have quite a few of these white hair-sized scrapes on it. Further, any pressure that slightly deforms its shape leaves a white "stressed plastic" look at the pressure point. During a celebration following a goal, a teamates stick shaft hit one of the plastic corners and it is kind of white-ish now- The shape didn't change- it was just an impact stress on the plastic. Haven't seen either of these things happen on another helmet, so I'm assuming its related to the finish.

Pads - Like others have noted, the sweat pads are great. I honestly don't think I've gotten that stingy sweat-in-my-eye feeling since I've had it. I haven't been pulling the pads out to dry them, just setting the helmet to the side to air dry. Coming from a Mission Intake that not only allowed gallons of sweat to drip down my face, but poor design that allowed the glue to seep out from behind the "dynex padding" giving me acne, this helmet has been worth every penny. However, like others have mentioned, they don't stick well. When I was walking up the the checkout to buy it, one of the clerks ran up behind me as one of the pads dropped out from just carrying it. I didn't realize they were going to send out replacements, but it will be nice.

Fit - The fit is great. I have a huge head, and like others, could squeeze into a Medium, but chose a Large and put it on the smallest settings. Be forewarned, the adjusters are not made of steel and seem quite brittle. I almost snapped one like the other guy in this thread. A few time's they have even re-adjusted while putting the helmet on, but never after its on securely.

Face protection - I had a medium Itech Titanium cage on my Intake and it fit great. Unfortunately it doesn't work great on a Large e700. It's real tight on the helmet, almost rubbing against it when you open it. Furthermore, I can't explain exactly why, but the chin cup constantly wants to ride up in front of my mouth, as if the helmet wants to sit a little more backward than the intake. I'm constantly pushing it forward so the brim of the helmet is basically on my eyebrows.I have a large Titanium cage on the way, which will give me some more face length and I'm hoping will fix the issue.

Protection - I play beer league so most head impacts come from errant/poor stick control and compensating-for-something hard-asses, rather than losing an edge on a high speed chase for the puck. Suffice to say, this thing has done its job well. Took an elbow to the side of the head from an aforementioned hard-ass who was a foot taller and 50lbs heavier than I, sending me flying (as soon as the puck left the zone, along with the gaze of the referee). My bell was rung. But I am quite confident I would have a concussion right now if it weren't for the e700. It grasped my head like a baboon protecting its young. This guy was trying to hurt me and didn't succeed thanks to the e700. I have taken far less lethal blows to the head and felt more pain than I did with the e700.

Fit, weight & comfort are all awesome...but my favorite thing about this helmet is that I haven't had to use a towel on my face since I started wearing this. It's awesome!

Does anyone know where I can find a matte white one? Another one of the guys on my team is looking for one and none of the usual suspects online have them. That alone makes me curious

Really digging my E700... Played three consecutive games last night and no sweat on my face, no pressure points and most important - no headaches at all. I have only received one headache since switching to the E700. When I had my Cascade - it was every game. Everyones results may differ - but this is by far the best helmet I have ever had...

Really digging my E700... Played three consecutive games last night and no sweat on my face, no pressure points and most important - no headaches at all. I have only received one headache since switching to the E700. When I had my Cascade - it was every game. Everyones results may differ - but this is by far the best helmet I have ever had...

I have not tried the E700 yet, but based on comments, I will.

Not to hijack this thread, but Gefiltefish, other than just plain having the wrong size helmet (too small) for your head, how could you possibly get headaches every game from a Cascade? People can argue all day long about a Cascade's protection, but I have talked to at least 50 people that use the Cascade, and I have never heard one negative comment about fit or comfort.

I have not tried the E700 yet, but based on comments, I will.

Not to hijack this thread, but Gefiltefish, other than just plain having the wrong size helmet (too small) for your head, how could you possibly get headaches every game from a Cascade? People can argue all day long about a Cascade's protection, but I have talked to at least 50 people that use the Cascade, and I have never heard one negative comment about fit or comfort.

I am in no way bashing Cascade. I support the company fully - but like a lot of great products, it just did not work out perfectly for me. If it were not for the E700, the Cascade would still be my helmet of choice.

I believe my main problem was that the adjustment feature caused a lot of pressure on my forehead. In order to get the helmet (size large) to stay in place properly, I had to have it at nearly the tightest setting on the ratchet. More pressure back there seemed to equal a tighter fit on the forehead for me. If I had the ratchet looser, then the helmet would slide around a bit.

The E700's giro system gives a more 360-fit. Hard to describe, but it feels like it is wrapping your head more than it is squeezing it together.

I suffered a concussion about 9-10 months ago while wearing an old VN helmet. I switched to Cascade for the added protection and found the helmet much more comfortable than my old CCM. I also switched to a cage at the same time. I had headaches after playing and could not pinpoint if it was the cage (vision/focus will cause headaches when you have mild PCS) or the helmet itself. Since I was not willing to risk getting a facial impact during trial/error - I opted to try a different helmet and bought an E700. I have not had a headache after use at all.

I tried on one Saturday at Hockey Giant in Cherry Hill. Before I give a brief first impression, I can now confirm that this will definitely be my next helmet.

First impression: Incredibly, unbelievably light. Lighter than any helmet I've ever put on my head. I was actually blown away with the lightness, I thought something had fallen off or was wrong, and looked inside the helmet to make sure and tried another. It also hugged my head in such a way that I've never really experienced before. Closest thing comparable for me was the original RBK 8k that I bought, but this is just way better. I also tried on the 11k, and found it to be pretty close in comfortability, but it still was tight around my temples, just like my 8k is. With the e700 I had no pressure points, just an even, snug fit.

I'm wondering how bad my half shield will throw the balance of the helmet off, but that will have to wait to be seen. I realize it's been a while since I've bought a helmet, but the amount of tech that is packed into this thing blows me away. Can't wait to get my return so I can pick this baby up and some new 4rolls. :wub:

Love this helmet, but I'm having a hell of a time mounting a Bauer HS22 visor on it. Has anyone else tried? The temples pinch in at the bottom, so it almost looks like I'm going to need 1 spacer for the top screw and two spacers for the bottom screw, which is an issue since they only gave me 4 spacers total.

One side at a time. I managed to get it on, but it seems like there's a lot of stress on the visor and the screws. Is the Oakley visor narrower between the temples than the HS22, or is it normal for the visor to be stressed? This is my first visor, I've always used full cages before.

Played my first game with the E-700 yesterday and it was very comfortable and dealt with sweat very well. I'm coming from s19 z-shock and I loved that bucket, and like the E-700 even better.

Love this helmet, but I'm having a hell of a time mounting a Bauer HS22 visor on it. Has anyone else tried? The temples pinch in at the bottom, so it almost looks like I'm going to need 1 spacer for the top screw and two spacers for the bottom screw, which is an issue since they only gave me 4 spacers total.

Ugh Great! Bought my E700 Saturday and my HS22 was shipped today. Hope a good solution is found in the next day or so.

Ugh Great! Bought my E700 Saturday and my HS22 was shipped today. Hope a good solution is found in the next day or so.

I did post again after that. I got the visor on, but it's pretty tight. I'll post back if I run into any issues with it. I sort of feel like a hard impact is gonna crack it, but we'll see.

I did post again after that. I got the visor on, but it's pretty tight. I'll post back if I run into any issues with it. I sort of feel like a hard impact is gonna crack it, but we'll see.

Yea I had clicked the link then got caught up with something. Glad you were able to get it on. If you find any other tweeks or improvements please post cause I was really excited for this set up and am now a touch concerned.

I wear a LG CCM V10 and the LG Easton S19 was waaaaay too narrow for me. Looking forward to trying one of these bad boys on. I'm in need of a new bucket.