Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dunc19

Best way to install a tacki-mac?

I know there's instructions on how to install it but it never works for me. The grip always slides off about two weeks of use, and won't stay on. What's the best way to ensure it stays on???

Try searching, I'm pretty sure there is at least one good topic about this. With that said, hairspray hasn't worked for me. The two sided tape that comes with them seems to work pretty good.

I use hairspray on every grip i've installed on every single stick. If you use the tape the grip tends to be way too thick.

All I do is spray the stick with hairspray (I think there's a super cheap brand I used to use called aquanet. . . I now use better tresemme' <---it's my wife's, don't let her know)

I spray it inside the grip.

Pull the grip onto the stick.

Let it dry for a day.

Stays for a lifetime.

I know there's instructions on how to install it but it never works for me. The grip always slides off about two weeks of use, and won't stay on. What's the best way to ensure it stays on???

Try searching, I'm pretty sure there is at least one good topic about this. With that said, hairspray hasn't worked for me. The two sided tape that comes with them seems to work pretty good.

True. A search for topics with "tacki-mac" in the title will get some threads with plenty of info.

just use some hot water to activate the adhesive and it will slide on and stay.

the only time i had problems with it sliding is when i tried to use soap along with water.

I use hairspray on every grip i've installed on every single stick. If you use the tape the grip tends to be way too thick.

All I do is spray the stick with hairspray (I think there's a super cheap brand I used to use called aquanet. . . I now use better tresemme' <---it's my wife's, don't let her know)

I spray it inside the grip.

Pull the grip onto the stick.

Let it dry for a day.

Stays for a lifetime.

same here, depending on how fast drying the spray is you might have some troubles sliding the grip on in time before it dries up so got to be quick

other than that the grip wears down to multiple holes but still stays in place.

the feel for the puck is better as well since there's no layer of paper to further dampen the vibration.

i used the application spray you can order for golf club grips. sprayed inside the grip, wrapped the end of the stick with the tape they send, sprayed the tape, slid the grip over and let it sit for a day. Did 3 sticks in under 10 mins.

For those of you that have the grip come off, what kind of hairspray are you using and how long do you let it dry?

I've been using hairspray to put the grips on for 5+ years and have never had a grip come off.

The newer tacimac grips come with tape and a solution. Those work great. Just apply as directed.

The older ones just have tape and say to activate with water. They work okay too, but I had to use just a touch up dish soap for lube (uhh-huh-huh-huh... lube...)

I hear hairspray works, but since I've never had a problem with my grips coming off, I've never had any reason to try it.

Also, the claims that the tape makes the grip feel thicker or less feel for the puck are complete bollocks.

The newer tacimac grips come with tape and a solution. Those work great. Just apply as directed.

The older ones just have tape and say to activate with water. They work okay too, but I had to use just a touch up dish soap for lube (uhh-huh-huh-huh... lube...)

I hear hairspray works, but since I've never had a problem with my grips coming off, I've never had any reason to try it.

Also, the claims that the tape makes the grip feel thicker or less feel for the puck are complete bollocks.

considering you've only used tape and never used hairspray, you really have no reason to say anything about those claims.

I've used the grips both ways, and I started using the grips without the tape underneath because it made them feel too thick. I understand the tape isn't that thick, but it definitely makes the grip feel thicker and decreases overall feel.

I hope they will make an ultra-thin less tacky version. I use them because they don't leave sticky residue on my palms like with tape, but I don't like how sticky and thick it is. Durability isn't a major concern as my sticks tend to break before the grips wear out, lol.

considering you've only used tape and never used hairspray, you really have no reason to say anything about those claims.

I've used the grips both ways, and I started using the grips without the tape underneath because it made them feel too thick. I understand the tape isn't that thick, but it definitely makes the grip feel thicker and decreases overall feel.

I've used both, I don't feel a difference. To each their own, but the tape is really thin, I'd be surprised if anyone could tell in a Pepsi Challenge...

I hope they will make an ultra-thin less tacky version. I use them because they don't leave sticky residue on my palms like with tape, but I don't like how sticky and thick it is. Durability isn't a major concern as my sticks tend to break before the grips wear out, lol.

They are a little thick, but you do get used to them. I personally can't stand playing with tape now, but it's all personal preference. I wasn't worried about durability either, but now that I've switched back to a two piece setup, it's nice that I just put one on and leave it.

...Regardless of whether I have five more around the house, sitting on various broken sticks...

they do make a thinner version with a smaller buttend called the "pro" or "kane" grip. not sure if it's any less tacky though: http://www.tackimac.com/shoppingcart/agora.cgi?p_id=CR-KANE

Thanks guys, maybe I will try the tape + hairspray method. I have tried using hairspray by itself but it slid off within the first practice using it.

What if you were to put the double sided tape down but add some hot glue to the tape instead of the water/adhesive? Would that work? Just and idea

Do the newer tackimacks (with a solution) stay completely glued at the top of the stick?

I've tried tackimacks 3 years ago, really liked the grip, shape and feel, plus there was noticeably less wear on my palms. Only problem was that the top would loosen (80% of the tackimack would still stay glued ) since I hold my pinky finger over the top of the knob.

Go with the water and nothing else mentioned above. I simply add the water, rub the tape with my hand to get the adhesive active and leave overnight. Since I started using this method, I have yet to have a grip slide off or move at all through 2+ years of using them.

I have had some issues with the tape rolling inside the grip during the application process. JR showed me how to use the hairspray technique and I have not had an issue since. The key is to use an ultra-hold aerosol hairspray, because the aerosol creates an even sticky surface. The pump sprays can get blotchy and squirt too much liquid. You want a nice even sticky coat...and you want to give it time to dry.

So after installing a Tacki Mac, how many of you guys reinstall the shaft's end cap? I realize that I could leave it out, but I was not sure if that was in violation of USA hockey rules?

So after installing a Tacki Mac, how many of you guys reinstall the shaft's end cap? I realize that I could leave it out, but I was not sure if that was in violation of USA hockey rules?

I leave the cap in while installing and cut off the excess sticky tape with a razor blade.

The hairspray method has always worked for me as well... except on my sticks that have a wood endplug added. The hairspray seems to just soak into the wood and I can't slide the grip on. Any suggestions on how to make that work? Maybe a layer of clear tape?