Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kovy_Ribs_Fedo

Do stick really lose stiffness with time or it is just in my head?

for sure, the old wooden hockey stick lose is stiffness, but with the new generation of stick, not sure about it.....

we must not forget that the stick is made ​​to the production line, so, everyting is Possible, even with the new technologies used,it could become softer....imo

They will lose stiffness over time. How much time depends on a multitude of conditions such as flex, technique, how much you lean into a stick for each shot, etc. it's like a spring, they'll eventually get stretched out if constantly pulled to its max then released then stretched again, and so on.

I wont name the brands or models, but some seem to break in a ton, so as to become unusable after 15 or 20 games. Its part of why I buy pro stocks up to 110 flex, they can end up 90-95 after a bit.

Some however soften up a bit right away and maintain nearly full stiffness thereafter. That varies model to model, I suppose because of production methods, varying materials etc.

The decreasing flex and rebound effect of carbon fiber and the resin holding the fibers together is call sheering. Every time you flex the shaft, there are micro "tears" that are created in the resin, thus the shaft becoming "soft" or better known as "losing pop". The Vapor APX stick is the first stick that is trying to combat this with their "Elastech" technology which is a resin that does not sheer as quickly. Easton tried using carbon nano tubes in the resin with their CNT sticks but it didn't really do anything to help the life span of the stick.

When you purchase a stiffer stick, there is no more material in the stick vs a lower flex stick. The orientation of the fibers dictate the stiffness of the stick, you could in theory use a stiffer stick to combat the breakdown of pop, however, you'd have to be able to flex the stick in order to use it properly so it would not benefit a young teenager to use a 100 flex stick if he's 5 feet 6 inches and weighs 100 pounds. I was using a 75 flex sticks, cut down one inch from 60" length sticks and I'm 5 feet 11 inches and weight 220 pounds. Had a wicked shot but found that it was too flexible so I just switched to an 85 flex stick recently, but I can use a 75 flex if I wanted to.