Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Hook

Mouthguards: What do you use?

I never like spending big bucks on a mouthguard, so my last two mouthguards have been Shock Doctor Pro models. They need to be boiled and molded a good 5-6 times before they get tight, but I am happy with these cheap boil n' bites.

Mouthguard bros...who's protecting your chiclets?

Pro-Form from dentist, put it in and forget about it. I put mine in just before leaving the dressing room and take it out when I get back in. It fits so well I dont notice I have it in.

But...in regards to the boil fit ones from my personal experince the cheap as it gets $3.99 black shock doctor mouth gaurd fits the best after boiling. I don't know if its the rubber or the minimal amount of it. But after boiling it, and some trimming with a razor blade they can fit pretty damn good.

I just started using a mouthguard. a buddy has started up a business similar to the one 2 posts above. I went by his office and he made an impression then had his dental guy make the mouthguard. I can talk pretty much close to normal. he cut me a deal but even if I had to pay the $60 it'd be worth it.

I use a $10 Shock Doctor and do not like it. I actually don't even use it anymore becuse it makes it hard for me to breathe and damn near impossible to be understood when I am talking. I am going to the dentist next week, hopefully they will make me one for cheap (or free with insureance!).

Shock Doctor Power Gel Ultra. I chew on my mouthguards, so I don't like to spend more than $25.

Took about 5 trips into boiling water to get the fit tight enough.

I have a clear mouthguard from Gladiator. They send you a kit to make a mold of your teeth, you send it back, and then they send the mouthguard to you.

+1...best mouth guard I've ever had. Custom as it gets without the price.

I got an Opro when I didn't have dental coverage. I tried 2 boil and bites from sporting good stores (one upper then a lower) and both made me gag while wearing them.

I have been considering a protech guard since my opro is getting a bit old.

Protech - tight and thin. But I still usually skip it when I have the cage on.

I wouldn't wear one at all with a cage if I wasn't worried about biting my tongue off when I fall :)

I use this simple model and I'm on my second with no complaints:

http://www.hockeytron.com/m164.html

I've used lots of mouth guards before and was never really comfortable. I realized a few years back that I was simply not trimming the damn things properly and leaving too much excess material on my palette area. Ever since then I've been much more comfortable, breathing is not an issue at all and speech is only minimally impaired.

I'm very interested in maybe one day investing in a custom dental grade mouth guard but I don't know if I can justify the cost in my head just yet.

I have a custom from http://www.customguards.com/ I can honestly say after using three different Shock Doctors it is the best mouth guard I have ever had. The molding kit was easy and I got it back way faster than advertised. Forget it's there for the most part and can breath and talk with very few problems.

My LHS just started to sell these kits as well as the protech ones.

I have used one of these custom molded mouthguards for the last 3 years http://www.smartguards.ca/. I play 2 to 3 times a week and this thing has not broken down at all. I had a dentist fitted mouthguard before this one which I managed to lose. You can't beat a custom fitted mouth guard. They are much more comfortable than any boil and bite type, which I have also used and I find them much easier to breath with.

+1

+2 on the protech guard; I had a small adjustment to how stiff the material initially is, compared to the guard from my dentist. However this is an excellent product and the only mouthguard I've ever used without removing it during a game.

+2 on the protech guard; I had a small adjustment to how stiff the material initially is, compared to the guard from my dentist. However this is an excellent product and the only mouthguard I've ever used without removing it during a game.

That's the big part for me... I had a hard time breathing with a normal mouthguard. I could take it out when I was wearing a visor, but after I switched to a full cage that wasn't really an option anymore.

I've got the ShockDoctor Gravity 2 STC mouth guard. I like the fact that it sits on my bottom teeth & I can definitely talk better with it than the last standard upper ShockDoctor mouth guard I used (I do wear a full cage, but decided wearing a mouth guard would help protect my teeth & tongue if I were knocked into the boards or something random like that). I can chew through the cheap boil & bites in a game or two, so I enjoy having the thicker ShockDoctor ones as I have yet to chew through one of theirs.

+3. I used to use ShockDoctor, i'll stick with Protech now unless I decide to get the dentist to mold one for me.