Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Hook

Mouthguards: What do you use?

I have used one of these custom molded mouthguards for the last 3 years http://www.smartguards.ca/. I play 2 to 3 times a week and this thing has not broken down at all. I had a dentist fitted mouthguard before this one which I managed to lose. You can't beat a custom fitted mouth guard. They are much more comfortable than any boil and bite type, which I have also used and I find them much easier to breath with.

+1 on this company. I bought 2 from them about 3 years ago, and didn't pay more than $120Cad. It took some time to get the hang of breathing and speaking.

The guy who owns the company said that if you clean it and take care of the mouth guards, it will last years.

best of luck. I love my gladiator. When you get a mouthguard that fits right, you appreciate it more. the better the fit the more you'll be inclined to wear it.

http://dentalartslab...rts-mouthguards

dentist made mine. awesome!

I use the same, cost me $15 including the teeth mould impression.

I never notice it when it's in, and can talk and breathe without issue.

They get a little rough along the teeth-facing surface after a lot of uses, just from the grinding, but that never even bothers me. Aparently you can just have them smooth it back out anyway. But I've just gotten new ones made.

I don't like the Pro-Form strap mechanism -- where they melt the strap onto the front of the mouthguard. I much prefer the plain one.

Team custom colors is a nice feature for the pro-form as well.

We sell about 10 different brands of mouthguards. The one picked most is the Tap Out. Use to be Shock Dr's but TapOut has surpassed them in sales big time. I don't know why but customers love them. Also, Mogo flavored mouthguards are becoming very popular. Funny, but true.

After reading this thread, I think im going to get a protech mouth guard. Im using a gel nano shock doctor i believe, but its bulky and hard to talk with.

The protech seems to be much smaller and less noticeable.

Protech Guard: http://www.protechguard.com/

Cant imagine going back to a regular mouthguard now.

Going on my 2nd season with these. thin, easy to talk and drink with, forms as tight as you want it to. first time i formed it very tight and couldnt get it out of my mouth after the game. i didnt like that so i redid it and just formed it a little looser and its perfect now.

Going on my 2nd season with these. thin, easy to talk and drink with, forms as tight as you want it to. first time i formed it very tight and couldnt get it out of my mouth after the game. i didnt like that so i redid it and just formed it a little looser and its perfect now.

Sold! I just purchased a 2-pack in black (black mouthguards FTW)

Depending on the shift, sometimes I DEFINITELY notice my mouthguard and I am struggling to breath with it in. It has nothing to do with my cardio, because my cardio is awesome #SARCASM

Also the ProTech's perforation to assist in drinking water is a clever idea. I am looking forward to trying this new piece out.

BONUS QUESTION: do you guys protect your grill protectors with a mouthguard case? If not, then you should.

I utilize a Shock Doctor mouthguard case. It's a few years old with the OG graphics but these things are sturdy as hell and a great way to transport and store your guard. After all my games, I rinse out both the piece and the case and let them air dry on a towel. Germs, kids. Only you can prevent the zombie apocalypse.

It doesn't make sense to invest in a quality piece just to throw it in the bottom of your hockey bag after a game or jam it in the glove cuff until the next skate (that is dirty, and not in a Jofa bubble cage kind of way. I mean literally it disgusts me).

The more and more I play with a visor, the more I feel like I should get a mouthguard...prob gonna go with the Protech Dent

The more and more I play with a visor, the more I feel like I should get a mouthguard...prob gonna go with the Protech Dent

Same here. I switched to visor full time from cage for beer league and that's why I use a mouthguard. When I had the cage, I didn't use a mouthguard. It's a smart decision.

I use the Shock Doctor Ultra STC. Haven't had any problems breathing or talking. Only problem I have is I tend to chew on it, and on the side I chew the soft part is separating from the plastic(?) core. Doesn't really seem to affect it when it's in place, but I'm pretty sure that can't be good for it. And of course I have a Shock Doctor case for it, I don't really want it picking up whatever might be laying in the bottom of my hockey bag.

Decided to pick up the protech dent after reading this forum.

Easiest molding experience of any mouth guard I've ever used. The material is amazing. It's completely flat and rigid and then after a few seconds in boiling water it becomes completely pliable. The ability to actually just put it back in the hot water and remold as many times as necessary is awesome too. You can even just splash hot water onto the outer edges and remold them if the fit isn't 100%.

Used it for a pick up session and it performed as expected; super vacuum seal to my teeth, very thin material that still manages to feel completely solid. Breathing, talking and water bottles are all a non-issue. As others have said, you almost don't even know its there.

If you have any buddies who play with visors or no facial protection at all and claim to hate mouth guards, you should really let them know about this product!

Im using a gel nano shock doctor i believe, but its bulky and hard to talk with..

Not sure why, but that shock doctor was the one that drove me to get my Gladiator. I might have used it for 3 weeks, and absolutely hated it.

Just picked up a shockdoctor STC, molded it twice and I still don't like the fit. I can breath really well with it, but can't talk at all. Sort of disappointed, wouldn't mind so much if it were a cheap-o throw away.

Decided to pick up the protech dent after reading this forum.

Easiest molding experience of any mouth guard I've ever used. The material is amazing. It's completely flat and rigid and then after a few seconds in boiling water it becomes completely pliable. The ability to actually just put it back in the hot water and remold as many times as necessary is awesome too. You can even just splash hot water onto the outer edges and remold them if the fit isn't 100%.

Used it for a pick up session and it performed as expected; super vacuum seal to my teeth, very thin material that still manages to feel completely solid. Breathing, talking and water bottles are all a non-issue. As others have said, you almost don't even know its there.

If you have any buddies who play with visors or no facial protection at all and claim to hate mouth guards, you should really let them know about this product!

+1. I don't even realize it's in until I get to the room afterwards. Sometimes I have half my gear off before I think to take it out. I wear a full cage, but still wear a mouthguard so I don't bite my tongue off or chip teeth when I get hit or fall. Breathing is a huge issue for me with most mouthguards. They just take up too much space. Wasnt a problem when I wore a visor, but is a huge one now that I wear a cage.

I just made the switch from the Shock Dr gel to the tap out mouth guard. I went through 2 Shock Dr's and could never get them to fit right. I had a hard time breathing and ultimately it would make me gag once in awhile because the fit was just hooooorrible. I boiled and fitted the tapout guard 3 times and now it fits great. The edges are more round and it's a bit slimmer so I can breath much better. Haven't gone the way of a custom fit guard but I will eventually.

And those of you who switched from cages to visor and just now going with a mouth guard.....excellent decision. Many guys on my adult league wear visor or nothing at all and don't wear a mouthguard. Well, about 2 months ago one of them took a stick to the teeth and lost his front too. I feel confident had he wore a mouthguard it would have been a superficial wound and not a loss of teeth.

in my 23 years of hockey, i have gone without a mouth guard once. I came home from windsor that day with 4 shattered teeth. was kind of hard to explain what happened to customs. Used shock doctors for a long time but for some reason they fall apart on me after a month or two, have a mogo one now thats held up well, but going to try a protech because the mogo is decently hard on breathing

I just started using the Signature Mouthguard. http://signature-mouthguards.com/PageRANGE.html Made by a company in Australia. Think it is the Type 4 with pro plus gel model I have. The thing is a bit bigger/thicker than some of the shock doctors but it fits like a glove and it feels like if a puck/stick hit me those upper teeth would be less prone to damage. The gel is like dental impression material so it makes a really good fit. Surprisingly I didn't have any breathing or talking issues given its slightly thicker size. The last Shock doctor I tried (bottom teeth model) made me gag every time I tried to use it.

I have wanted to try the protech, I heard they will be running some deals as soon as they get 25 likes on thier FB Hockey page.

My son is 6 & has been using a protech for over a year. anyone with kids knows how hard it is to get kids to wear a guard and not make it a chew toy. Got his whole mite ice travel team to get them and his roller team is now buying them. Great company to work with and good pricing on team orders. Seeing kids excited about getting a guard and wearing it and saying how much they like it is a nice change from the chew toy aspect. Sons is still going strong and have reshaped it three times. Actually in the process of becoming a rep for them in Nor Cal.