Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Hook

Mouthguards: What do you use?

Regarding the sisu I have both the 1.6 and the 2.4. If you wear a cage get the 1.6 if you have a visor or less get the 2.4. Both fit great. If I had to pick a favourite I would go 2.4.

Funny but they advertise the 1.6 for hockey... i don't think the makers of sisu have ever played hockey... 1.6 vs a stick... Ouch

Yea I'd go 2.4 too if I didn't wear a cage. TBH 99% of the reason I wear a mouthguard at all is so I don't chip teeth (or bite my tongue off) when I fall.

Yea I'd go 2.4 too if I didn't wear a cage. TBH 99% of the reason I wear a mouthguard at all is so I don't chip teeth (or bite my tongue off) when I fall.

losin teeth aint fun.

Was hoping to get some feedback on the SISU mouth guard. Got a nice elbow to the mouth yesterday (accidental contact) during a game. I used to just wear a normal bite and mold mouth guard a while back but haven't worn it in probably 2 years since it was becoming uncomforatble. After yesterday, first thing I checked was to make sure all my teeth were there as i was spitting a ton of blood haha.... luckily they were all in tact, but kind made me think about going back to wearing one because you really never know when something like that can happen again.

Question is, i'm mostly just doing pickup games every week with the same people, along with beer leagues. I was just trying to see if people can suggest if i should go with the SISU 1.6 or the 2.4. Anybody have experience with both? pros on and cons of either or? Again, i'm really trying to get something that doesnt feel bulky/uncomfortable, but still offers the protection i need.

Any info would be appreciated.

The 1.6 has worked well for me so far. I have yet to take an elbow or stick to the face with it, so I can't comment on it's protection. Breathing is not an issue with the 1.6, nor am I constantly playing with it like I did with other boil and bites. If you are looking for something comfortable with very little bulk, this is the one for you. Just be VERY careful when forming it to your mouth. It almost folded up on me, which will ruin it. Watch the instructional video a few times.

Yea, I'd been using mine since before they changed to the SISU name and introduced the thicker model. I just keep buying the thin one because it's what I'm used to. For low level leagues and pickup I don't think I'd go to the thicker model.

I could NEVER get used to a mouth piece until I fell and hit my head in an incidental contact. I hit the back of my head HARD. If I hadn't worn a helmet, I would be knocked unto next week. But I felt EXTREMELY lucky that I didn't chip any of me ol' gnashers!!!! I got dumped friday by the same wanker who tripped me a few weeks back and the mouth piece came in handy. He will end up cross-checked in the throat one day...

I got the two pack of Tap Out for $4.99 @the Tron. Fits better than the Shock Doctor one I tried and couldn't keep in.

Was hoping to get some feedback on the SISU mouth guard. Got a nice elbow to the mouth yesterday (accidental contact) during a game. I used to just wear a normal bite and mold mouth guard a while back but haven't worn it in probably 2 years since it was becoming uncomforatble. After yesterday, first thing I checked was to make sure all my teeth were there as i was spitting a ton of blood haha.... luckily they were all in tact, but kind made me think about going back to wearing one because you really never know when something like that can happen again.

Question is, i'm mostly just doing pickup games every week with the same people, along with beer leagues. I was just trying to see if people can suggest if i should go with the SISU 1.6 or the 2.4. Anybody have experience with both? pros on and cons of either or? Again, i'm really trying to get something that doesnt feel bulky/uncomfortable, but still offers the protection i need.

I got the 2.4 for my last order. The larger size is not noticeable. I took about 1 min to get used to it.

Get the 2.4 you will not notice the difference. I have both.

I am still baffled as to why so many of you are on the SISU bandwagon. Skunkape, you mentioned that you caught an elbow in the mouth and checked to see if you still had your teeth through all the blood (I am glad you do still have them), however if you were wearing a SISU, you would still be spitting out a ton of blood. The SISU design is perforated and will "cheese grate" lips to shreds if you catch an elbow. Believe me I know

Ah okay, good to have people who have tried both chime in. I'll try the 2.4 on my next order.

I am still baffled as to why so many of you are on the SISU bandwagon. Skunkape, you mentioned that you caught an elbow in the mouth and checked to see if you still had your teeth through all the blood (I am glad you do still have them), however if you were wearing a SISU, you would still be spitting out a ton of blood. The SISU design is perforated and will "cheese grate" lips to shreds if you catch an elbow.

Can you post a link to your source on this?

Sorry I am not aware of a link, I am only speaking from experience and from other people that I know. Think about it though, if you get hit in the mouth, the soft tissue of your lips will get pressed into the tiny holes and cut you lips. With custom guards, the surface is smooth and not abrasive like a SISU.

Obviously everyone has their own preference and I respect that. However, for me, it has nothing to do with fitting properly, it is all in the design of the SISU guard. Perforations in the guard = cheese grated lips if you get hit hard enough.

If I'm getting hit hard enough in the mouth for my inner lip to be cut by the perforations, then my primary concern is that the mouthguard is strong enough and fits correctly to protect my teeth.

Obviously everyone has their own preference and I respect that. However, for me, it has nothing to do with fitting properly, it is all in the design of the SISU guard. Perforations in the guard = cheese grated lips if you get hit hard enough.

the whole cheese grater thing seems odd to me, never heard of a case of it before. ITs got perforations, yes, but the holes arent raised like a cheese grater, they have a slight bevel inwards.

thanks for the input... I ended up going with the 1.6 for now... seeing that it should be more than enough for what i need it for, but if I do feel I want a bit more to the guard, then i'll try the 2.4. It's good to get the info from someone who has tried both. thanks again.

I use the 1.6. I tried a couple of shockdoctor type guards and I couldnt get used to them and they ended up in the bottom of my bag never being worn.

I can see how its possible to get cuts inside your lips from the SISU. But for how comfortable and breathable it is, I'll take that chance considering that the other choice for me is to be spitting chicklets. I just cant wear the standard big mouthguards, I cant breath in them.

I watch HS hockey games and most of those kids are playing with the mouthguard just chewing on them and theyre hanging halfway out of their mouths, lotta good that is gonna do when you get popped. I think if they made those boys wear the 1.6, they would at least have them in place when theyre playing...

I use a proform. My dentist took molds of my teeth and then sends them out to proform who makes a custom mouthguard for you. They are super amazing comfortable - you don't even notice it because it fits perfectly no questions asked. http://www.keystoneind.com/en/thermal_plastics/pro_form_dual_color_mouthguard_laminate.html

I have had a few. They last so long, and I play with it and chew on it and it holds up really well.

The best thing I can say about the SISU is that it gets used and I never feel the need to take it out during a game. I have tried about five mouth guards in the last 13 years and most didn't last the period.

The best thing I can say about the SISU is that it gets used and I never feel the need to take it out during a game. I have tried about five mouth guards in the last 13 years and most didn't last the period.

I actually find myself forgetting to take it out until I have half my gear off after a game. Don't even realize it's still in my mouth.

I actually find myself forgetting to take it out until I have half my gear off after a game. Don't even realize it's still in my mouth.

This sums up my experience with the thinner 1.6. I have had mine a couple of years and use it over the thin custom guard my dentist made.

I'm on the SISU train. Haven't tried it in a game, but I like it better than the over-expensive Shock Doctor bottom mouth guard already!