Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dnoboy

Custom radius 35/65

I'm gonna give it a shot, I got a new set of Step steel made for Eric Staal, pre cut at 35/65 and his name laser engraved.... they put their names on everything these days.

ot28, I would work backwards, starting with an 8 foot and slowly going up with each player, basically if they can keep up with the rest of the teams as far as speed goes with a short radius, if they do then you keep that profile. Second thing I would look at is each player’s height in relation to their shoe size. For example Chris Pronger has a size 8 skate, for his body size it’s way to small, so to balance such a big body he might need a slightly longer radius compared to the same size player who’s skate size is 12.

If you have the time then look at body symmetry, those who have severe pronation or leg length discrepancy should not use anything over 9 foot, the potential of injury is much greater for these people since they can't react evenly on both sides of their body and need more agility.

Next thing I would look at what skates are they using, if it's softer boot like 11k I would maybe increase an 8 foot into 8.5 where as a skate like T1 has very little give so additional radius will create even more restriction in agility.

The last thing which everybody overlooks is hollow, obviously if you increase the radius you should decrease the hollow. If players are stubborn about changing profile, I would simply try to change their hollow. It’s better to skate on a ¾” freshly sharpened before each game then a dull 5/8’ If the team has enough free time during particles I would try to push as many players all the way to using 7/8” or even 1”

Cheers

interested by the comment with a foot that pronates and going with no more than 9ft radius, could you elaborate more? (i suffer from pronation on my right side due to ankle injuries)

interested by the comment with a foot that pronates and going with no more than 9ft radius, could you elaborate more? (i suffer from pronation on my right side due to ankle injuries)

I am interested as well because I thought you just realigned the skate for pronation and added a lift for leg length issues?

My measuring stick has always been figure skaters, they never go pass 8 foot, most of them are actually 7 foot and use soft boot compared to a hockey skate. How many times we have heard the phrase “man I wish I took figure skating lessons when I was younger”

My daughter is a competitive figure skater....your information and thus your analogy is incorrect.

First of all, high end figure skate boots are absolute rocks. These atheletes need the ankle support to land triple jumps. I can tell you that my daughter's figure skates are without a doubt stiffer than my son's one100s. (Not to mention significantly more expensive).

Be careful when comparing the radius of figure skating blades to hockey blades, it's a bad comparison. While the working area of either blade is indeed say 7' or 8' on a typical figure skate blade, the area behind that working radius is very different. It is longer and MUCH straighter. This provides a ton of stability as compared to hockey blades. Also, in front of the working area there is another flat spot that doesn't get sharpened that is about an inch and a half long leading upto the toe picks..this is where they generally spin...this also enhances stability despite the short radius.

Anyhow, I don't see a good analogy between the two types of blades.

Then you say:

***What I do see especially in the show is lack of agility, very few players who can turn on a dime without loosing the puck or body position. ***

That is not what I see!

What I do see especially in the show is lack of agility, very few players who can turn on a dime without loosing the puck or body position. If the popular profile in the show is 35/65 that makes my argument even stronger. I would love to know what radius the agile players use to really understand how much of it is body symmetry and persons ability to control their edges compared to what radius they use.

I think we have to remove the microscope and look at the big picture of a full body at work rather then just your feet. So if you pronate that means you can’t compensate or control your edges as well as the guy who is more symmetrical, so it will come out as a defect somewhere, either stress on one of your knees or most likely your hip area no matter what adjustment you do to the skates, the key is to minimize the problem.

I can give a fair amount of examples of guys that are in the show with larger radius and or blade alignments. In no particular order and all I can say is yes there above 9 ft radius

Jason Arnott

Brian Boyle

Micheal Delzotto

Jeff Skinner

Steven Stamkos

Vincent Lecavilier

All of these players I think are pretty agile some for the size of the player A and B that all have a larger than 9ft radius.

Well sticking with Skinner. You have Wally the trainer one of the most respected in the NHL and one that loves to try new and different things and Skinner one of the best skaters period..........I would think they have just a little knowledge of what is working and what isnt.......But to answer your question I will be seeing him this summer so I will ask that question and we can get the answer.

Now I am sorry but you have to be kidding me.....Del Zotto not agile??? Stamkos???? wow.... :facepalm: Well.....I must just be blind then :cool: or have had my sunglasses on inside.

Here is a video of an up and coming player I think as does NHL scouting is a fantastic skater that is very agile......and yes again a longer than 9ft radius.

Few things, first off all the stiff figure skates are stiff in the ankle area, but above the ankle it’s much higher cut boot yet made from much softer materials and the forward flex of a figure skate is much better then of a hockey skate.

That is simply incorrect information. I have a pair of $1,200 figure skates and a pair of One100s sitting in my house right now. The figure skates are MUCH stiffer.

Opinions are like assholes everybody has one, so arguing who thinks what about talent is useless. If both of us could assess talent we would be working as GM's not arguing on a hockey forum. For the same reason I think that half of the EQM in the show know as much as your local sharpener.

They simply don’t have enough time to try things on 20 players, maybe one or two players, they have lots of things on their plate when it comes to equipment and very little time, with travel, set ups, scheduled practices.....

That’s' why some of them come to you in the summer, otherwise they would have their EQM before the end of the season prepare few extra blades for them to use during the summer.

For me the number one aspect of good EQM has to be a guy who constantly tries things on himself instead of relying on input from others, I don’t see how that could happen with timing issues in the NHL.

Cheers.

Well I can assure you knowing Wally he tries as much as he can with guys and has a good eye and excellent repor with players so the feedback he gets he is able to make an informed decision.

As fo trying it and going from there I totally agree but I am only going to be my size shape and weight my whole life so that only works for me. I have to rely on nput from a player to make an informed decision.

As for your first comment......wel will just leave that alone.

Well sticking with Skinner. You have Wally the trainer one of the most respected in the NHL and one that loves to try new and different things and Skinner one of the best skaters period..........I would think they have just a little knowledge of what is working and what isnt.......But to answer your question I will be seeing him this summer so I will ask that question and we can get the an

In all fairness Wally is not always willing to try new things. There were a lot of problems when players came back from the Olympics and wanted FBV. Several players ended up taking their skates to a local retailer in order to get them done.

Chadd thats actually a valid point however my understaniding is that he did have players try it maybe not in Carolina but when home and he was not happy with what he heard. Now thats what I heard so I could be off base on that but when it comes to profiling I am pretty sure I am on base with that information.

This is an interesting discussion.

I don't think high-level players are aware of what radii or pitch is on their skates, though, so they wouldn't be a good feeder source for EQMs. And they're not used to that kind of work and dedication for that little pay.

I posed this question the St Mikes Majors trainer this evening and he agrees with myself that although he has tried different hollows and Profiles he ends up back at the more common ones used. After talking to him I ran into the Reebok Sales staff at the OHL cup and this particualr person was telling me when he played the St Mikes trainer was one of the best around because he did try all sorts of different things. Another thing he said and I really liked it was "you have to listen to all sources and try things or you will just never know. But once you know what works stick with it for that player". Another thing I thought was interesting is he was at one point doing al his skates in a quicker fashion "skipping steps" (He uses the Max Edge Method) and then just recently he went back on 5 pairs of skate and did all the steps. The palyers came to him after 4 of the 5 and said what did you do different to my skates? "He said nothing really" but what he proved to himself was what he did well worked.

My point being is we all think we know lots and are all pretty good at what we do what ever that maybe but you can always get better.

Next time I have a player that isnt agile I will try a straight 9"......if it doesnt work..I will go back to what I know works for me now................learned a lot today. St Mikes are luckey to have this guy!

Just sharpened a pair of Pitkinin's G75 prostocks. 80mm was written on the skates, and sure enough when I measured them, they were 80mm and the flat was shifted to the rear.

Jordan do a little experiment, but in order for it to work you have to lace your One100 all the way up and tight so it’s not loose at the top, then do the same thing to a figure skate and try to skate, you’ll see what I mean. Most people leave the top eyelet undone creating an illusion that the skate has good forward flex. Do a search on Kelly Lockwood, she did an experiment and the results show my exact point on top eyelet.

Don't need to. My daughter has both, and she wears both done all of the way up. She (and she is a gold level figure skater) and says that figure skates are much stiffer. Also, know all about Kelly Lockwood, she has trained my son on the treadmill.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

How can you accurately measure it? Putting it up against the ruler and going by eye sight isn’t really accurate.

I have a gauge. I can tell exactly where radius begins ends and changes.

Just thought I'd post this for some interesting comparisons. It was posted years ago, but it makes more sense to me after reading this thread.

penguinsskatesharpeningchart.jpg

Just thought I'd post this for some interesting comparisons. It was posted years ago, but it makes more sense to me after reading this thread.

Some long blades. 2 on 306's

Hey guys, just wondering if someone could help me out confirming some of the Cag settings. I have a new set of Step steel on the way and I want to get them sharpened tomorrow before my game on a Cag machine. I'm currently on a 10" radius and would like to try something a little more stable.

The steel is 272mm so if I want an 11" radius am I looking at getting a 50mm flat? Then would a 25/50 be neutral balance point (BP) and a 20/50 would a slightly rear BP (30mm behind the centre point) 30/50 being a forward BP (30 in front of the centre point).?

Does the balance point effect the pitch of the blade though? I've been using a slight forward pitch and would like to continue with that, so would I have to ask him to ask him to add that as well?

That is correct that to get the feel of an 11ft roughly 30/60. HOWEVER no the cag machine does not pirtch the blade at all. All pitch work muxst be done prior.

I would get them profiled at 11" then put them on the cag after at 30/55 It will give the feeling of a light forward lean.