Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

itsian56

hockey shin guards

i have 15" shin guards, but they are kinda diggin into the top of my foot. would it be better to get 14" or edit the ones i have or just deal with it?

By edit do you mean shorten them by cutting the plastic and lining material? I've considered doing this with my Warrior Projekts that have those weird plastic wing things on the bottom of the shinguard but I'm worried it would ruin the shin guard. If anyone has done this I'd also like to know the results of such a mod.

There are a few guys on MSH that have intentionally bought a bigger shin pad and cut off an inch from the bottome. Gives them a wider shin pad, especially for those who have well-endowed calves.

Since XX.5" shinpads are tough to find these days, I had Peaches take 1/2" off a pair of 16" shins for me. I'm really happy with the result...It does make them wider at the bottom, but I prefer that as well.

There are a few guys on MSH that have intentionally bought a bigger shin pad and cut off an inch from the bottome. Gives them a wider shin pad, especially for those who have well-endowed calves.

This x100

I have the hardest time finding shin guards due to monster-calves...

For those who are cutting them down, do you wear them inside or outside the skate tongues? I'm curious, as if there are any rough edges along where it's cut, would that also dig into your foot if worn inside tongue?

For those who are cutting them down, do you wear them inside or outside the skate tongues? I'm curious, as if there are any rough edges along where it's cut, would that also dig into your foot if worn inside tongue?

When I cut a pair down there where some rough edges so I just filed it smooth and used some clear tap over it and it worked like a charm

^^ good idea to smooth them down and then tape over.

I actually modified my warrior projeck shins. Cut out about 6-8inch of the middle of the padding to accomodate my knee braces. They now sit much closer to my legs and dont flop around as much.

i think i wear the bottom of my shin guard under my skate tongue. i cant remember at the moment. yeah, after i cut the edge off, i just put some black hockey tape over the part. i actually didnt cut any of the plastic off, just the foam.

Now for a poll!

what do you use to hold socks and shin guards in place?

-shin guard tape

-masking tape

-shin guard straps

-something else (say what it is)

I was wondering what you used to cut the plastic outer shell with?

Was thinking about this, and potentially after you have cut the outer shell, you could fold the padding over the cut end after you have smoothed it down.

Was thinking about this, and potentially after you have cut the outer shell, you could fold the padding over the cut end after you have smoothed it down.

I used a hacksaw, u need to use some kind of fine tooth saw blade so hacksaw works best.

Didnt want to start a new topic thread, just had a quick question about newer model shin guards.  Would anyone have a recommendation as to what shin guards are the most narrow at the bottom?  I've been wearing old school Jofa's for probably 15 years, but i have skinny ankles and im wondering if a slimmer pad will be more comfortable since i am starting to tuck my shins behind the tongue. 

I can't speak for all models. Right now I use Easton hsx 14 inch over the tongue. 

I had to stretch out and expand the bottom because it's too narrow for me. I usually use a 13 inch.  Went from junior ccm tacks to the sr easton. The ccm was very wide even for a junior. 

I like the Easton because it has the bottom scooped out to allow forward bend at the ankles but it was way too narrow until I bent it out. 

Got the Easton after finding a gap in protection after getting hit with a slap shot. I think anything that's tapered will be on the narrow side. 

16 hours ago, caseyjones said:

Didnt want to start a new topic thread, just had a quick question about newer model shin guards.  Would anyone have a recommendation as to what shin guards are the most narrow at the bottom?  I've been wearing old school Jofa's for probably 15 years, but i have skinny ankles and im wondering if a slimmer pad will be more comfortable since i am starting to tuck my shins behind the tongue. 

I'm in the same situation, doesn't matter how many calf raises or steps or any other exercise I do, I will always have skinny shins and calfs. Ergo Rbks, for me specifically 10k, 11k and 20k. I've stocked up on a bunch of then so am good to go for a while as nothing else out there fits my shins and knee as well (and the bullet proof protection is an added bonus!). So if you can find any of these then I'd say go for them. Otherwise my son has recently gone thru this looking at every pad available to replace his V10's (in the leg dept he shares my gene pool), Vapour line is slimmish (he settled on apx2's, not the same but he could tolerate them), CCM CL's (if you can find them) or try the Tacks line. Neither of us thought that anything from Easton or Warrior was close for skinny shaped legs

On March 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM, fatwabbit said:

I used a Dremel with a circular cutting disk. Filed away the rough edge, sanded / roughed up 1" from the the new length up and covered  it with a piece of marine vinyl that I glued in place. Really clean look and has held up very well

21 hours ago, caseyjones said:

I have skinny ankles and legs and used to always wear Jofa/RBK until I realized they just didn't fit me right... my knees never felt locked into the pocket and after a slight sprain I decided to really try on some other brands/models.  I went with Bauer x900's (practically identical to last year's APX2's) and they're very narrow down at the ankle and fit my skinny legs really well.  The only issue I personally have is they *look* too narrow at the bottom, I preferred the more blocky look of the Jofa's over the tongue, but the fit is more important so I'm ok with it.

thanks for the replies guys. I actually just ordered these old pair of eastons on a whim based off of their visuals.  I like the appearance of them being narrow towards the ankle and then kind of ballooning out at the calf.  The bottom part of the guard doesnt have that bulky leather strip like my jofa's do.  I also like how the knee cap is kind of its own separate bubble opposed to the newer ones that kind of make a seamless transition from the shin into the knee.  I paid a little more than i would have liked considering their age and the fact that they are used, but it was a risk i was willing to take.  I guess I'll see how they work when they arrive.  I've searched everywhere and couldnt find anything on these pads at all.  They are Easton SGX

wHw2Sdam.jpgPtrqm4Nm.jpg