Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charger92

Bauer P08 Curve

Looking to pick up a new twig, most likely an APX, Ive seen the ovie P08 curve and its something I want to try out. The Bauer cataloge says the ovie curve is a heel curve? I can see some heel in the curve but does it play like a heel curve? Anybody use the curve have any input: likes or dislikes about the curve? Any comments or suggestions would help.

I usually use a drury/p91 curve; I love the heel curve, but always wanted a little toe on the curve. Lately I've been custom curving my blades to put a kink on the toe similar to what havlat and versteeg (not warriors curve) do to their sticks and love it.

Thanks in advance!

I just bought this curve and I'm having slight trouble adjusting to it. I find I can't shoot the same way off the toe like the Gionta or p14 and you have to roll it more off the mid like a heel curve.

I was using Warrior Gionta and Bauer P14 curves before.

Here is a picture of the P08 by itself

http://i42.tinypic.com/2lw62cw.jpg

And here is a picture of it beside my P14 APX (P08 on the left P14 on the right)

http://i41.tinypic.com/iqeus4.jpg

If you like the P91a but want some toe, this may be your dream curve. You can use the same shooting mechanics as a heel curve. I like the curve a lot.

If you like the P91a but want some toe, this may be your dream curve. You can use the same shooting mechanics as a heel curve. I like the curve a lot.

I hoped this would be the case, but I don't find the two very comparable. I predominantly use Drury curves (P91 X60's at the moment), but purchased a Fehr prostock (Ovie clone) a year ago. I have a solid sharp snap shot with the Drury's, snapping off the toe of the blade. Using the Ovie clone, the same motion sends muffin flutter shots; I find to get the most out of the Ovie clone, you have to really roll the puck from heel to toe, as opposed to simply snapping off the toe of the blade. My personal experience.

I hoped this would be the case, but I don't find the two very comparable. I predominantly use Drury curves (P91 X60's at the moment), but purchased a Fehr prostock (Ovie clone) a year ago. I have a solid sharp snap shot with the Drury's, snapping off the toe of the blade. Using the Ovie clone, the same motion sends muffin flutter shots; I find to get the most out of the Ovie clone, you have to really roll the puck from heel to toe, as opposed to simply snapping off the toe of the blade. My personal experience.

Do you have any P08's? Because my P08 is quite different from the other ovi clones I have used. I agree with you on the true clones but the same does not hold true for me on the P08. But strangely my snap shots with a p91a come from the heel too. So take that into consideration.

I go back and forth between the p92 and the p08. It starts to open a little bit at the heel unlike the p92, but then opens more at the middle and toe in a more familiar way. I don't really shoot off the heel with it though; I'll just shoot from the middle or from the toe.

The curve looks a lot like the CCM Crazy Ovie but the toe doesn't look as curved. Is it really like that or is the pic making it look that way maybe?

the p08 is ovi's legal curve which is a toned down version of his crazi ovi curve. (paraphrased from what JR said in another thread).

one woudl reason that it should play similarly but being toned down it would be... toned down.

my question is how does it throw sauce? i imagine the toe gets in the way compared to a drury curve.

the p08 is ovi's legal curve which is a toned down version of his crazi ovi curve. (paraphrased from what JR said in another thread).

one woudl reason that it should play similarly but being toned down it would be... toned down.

my question is how does it throw sauce? i imagine the toe gets in the way compared to a drury curve.

It is great for suace if I am using it at the right length. When I was using it at a shorter length I couldn't do it to save my life. Now that it is the right length it has become extremely easy for me.

It is great for suace if I am using it at the right length. When I was using it at a shorter length I couldn't do it to save my life. Now that it is the right length it has become extremely easy for me.

what about backhand sauce? the drury had a significant advantage in being so flat backhand sauce was easy.

from what i understand the old ovi pattern like the crazy ovi is his older pattern with more of a toe twist/hook and the newer pattern like the p08 and kremlin are closer to the curve he currently uses which is the same basic dimentions but with more of a further back heel twist opening up towards the toe. i have a crazyovi and a kremlin and thats how i compare them.

from what i understand the old ovi pattern like the crazy ovi is his older pattern with more of a toe twist/hook and the newer pattern like the p08 and kremlin are closer to the curve he currently uses which is the same basic dimentions but with more of a further back heel twist opening up towards the toe. i have a crazyovi and a kremlin and thats how i compare them.

P08 =/= Kremlin. There has been plenty of discussion on what the p08 is. The consensus is that it is his legal curve.

does anyone have any further insight on the shooting compared to the p91a? I have te same problem as the OP now in I like the p91a a lot but want more toe to go with the heel.

Thanks skyscrape for answering everyone's questions! If you don't mind, I have a few myself:

1) How does the lie/rocker compare to a P91A/Drury or P92/Sakic? From looking at mybauer, it seems the rocker is reasonably similar to either of those curves, but it's a bit lower lie?

2) How open is it compared to the P91A? About the same?

3) How does the blade length compare to a P91A or P92?

4) I believe I saw you talking about your Versteeg curve (custom Warrior curve) in another thread, is the P08 fairly similar?

Thanks skyscrape for answering everyone's questions! If you don't mind, I have a few myself:

1) How does the lie/rocker compare to a P91A/Drury or P92/Sakic? From looking at mybauer, it seems the rocker is reasonably similar to either of those curves, but it's a bit lower lie?

2) How open is it compared to the P91A? About the same?

3) How does the blade length compare to a P91A or P92?

4) I believe I saw you talking about your Versteeg curve (custom Warrior curve) in another thread, is the P08 fairly similar?

1. Rocker is more like the p92 than the p91a. Not a square heel like the P91a. Kind of a cross at a lower lie.

2. I would say slightly less open until the toe, then about the same.

3. Pretty much the same length as the p91a and p92. The P91a looks longer, but I believe that is due to the toe kink. If you straightened out the p08 I bet they are the same length.

4.I would say the p08 has a little more toe and heel where the Versteeg is mostly toe with hint of mid.

Obviously this is what my eye sees. The p08 is dramatically different than the crazy ovi or kremlin.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful, thanks! I love Drury-type curves for shooting and passing, but have always been "meh" on them for stick handling, all of my toe-drag type moves suffer with a Drury, and a bit of mid/toe is nice to help cup the puck on really aggressive turns. Plus the lie of the Drury/P91A is just a touch high for me (usable for sure, but a touch high). I've always felt a Drury type of curve with a slightly lower lie and a bit of toe would be my ideal curve, I think I'll have to give the P08 a try.

Very helpful, thanks! I love Drury-type curves for shooting and passing, but have always been "meh" on them for stick handling, all of my toe-drag type moves suffer with a Drury, and a bit of mid/toe is nice to help cup the puck on really aggressive turns. Plus the lie of the Drury/P91A is just a touch high for me (usable for sure, but a touch high). I've always felt a Drury type of curve with a slightly lower lie and a bit of toe would be my ideal curve, I think I'll have to give the P08 a try.

This is literally me minus the lie. In regards to the lie, how big of a difference is it compared to the p91a.

Also, did slapshots or one-timers suffer at all with the p08 compared to p91a?

Thanks to some quality OT at work this week, I decided to pull the trigger on a Total One LE with the P08. From the heel to mid toe, it is pretty much a P91a. Then it coruves and opens up a bit more. I'll get to test it out at a stick time tomorrow to see how it shots and whatnot. The lie is slightly lower in the toe area.

The p08 plays lower than the p91a. But the rocker is more aggressive. Slapshots are pretty sweet with it. I think it is more accurate and easier to shoot with. Backhands suck compared to p91a and saucer passes are not nearly as smooth as with the p91a.

skyscrape

P08 it's u favorite curve?

For shooting yes. The only thing I would change is the heel shape and lie. I would love to have a true p91a with toe.

When I play D it is not my favorite. I need a strong backhand playing D so I still like the P91a. But if I am playing wing and I can focus mainly on shooting the P08 is my choice!

The p08 plays lower than the p91a. But the rocker is more aggressive. Slapshots are pretty sweet with it. I think it is more accurate and easier to shoot with. Backhands suck compared to p91a and saucer passes are not nearly as smooth as with the p91a.

After playing around with it for a little over an hour, this is pretty much what I found. I also understand why people like toe curves especially when shooting in close to the body. It's a really fun curve to play with and didnt have any more of an issue sending one a two high than I did with the p91a. Ideally, I would close the toe ever so slightly but it's nothing that can't be adjusted to. Slapshots definitely felt as they came off with more zip as it transitioned from the heel to off the toe.