Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sitzlejd

3 on 3 tournament

I'm playing in my first 3v3 tournament this weekend. I guess it's half ice with one goalie, but that's really all I know. Anyone have any tips for strategy in this type of game?

A couple guys from my beer league team played in one and the consensus was to shoot from everywhere if you have good shooters. Also, don't have a bad goalie.

Ages ago I played in a 3 on 3 league on a mini rink. The key was to move the puck fast, move to open ice in the offensive zone and to shoot lots. You have to play/work harder on the defensive side too. Lots of stop and starts; no drive by checks.

I am also playing in my 3 on 3 this weekend. I don't think it's the same as this guy. Its a 3/4 size sheet and we both have a goalie. Could be interesting. Will be my first time on the ice since Christmas due to a flare up of Sciatica from a bulging L4 and L5 disk.

I got the official rules for my tournament. It's essentially like a game of half court basketball. If there's a turnover you have to "tag up" or take it back outside the blue line. You can't shoot again until everyone on your team has tagged up, but it doesn't look like there is offsides per se. Here is the language from the rule sheet. Looks like there could be some interesting races to center ice to claim loose pucks, kinda like no-touch icing on a much smaller area.

What is a “Grinder”?

3-on-3 Ice Hockey Tournament

2 Half-ice games played simultaneously

Multiple skill levels play on the same team

5 Players per team

Grinder Basics

2 10-minute periods

1 1-minute intermission

3 Players on the ice per team; substitute any time

1 Goalie per ice half

At a change in possession, the team with the puck must “tag up”

behind the blue line.

After tagging up, the player with the puck may begin an attack,

but may NOT shoot until the rest of their team tags up. (Figure 1)

During an attack, if the defense causes a turnover that is then regained by

the offense before the blue line is reached, it is not necessary to “re-tag”. (Figure 2)

During the course of play, if the puck travels behind the blue line, the first team

to touch it gains possession.

A cleared puck that touches the bumpers at center ice becomes the

possession of the opposing team.

All normal IHWC Adult-League Ice Hockey rules apply.

No fighting, no checking and no overly aggressive play. This is for fun.

Good-natured trash talk is encouraged.

Since there is less space, speed doesn't have as much of a factor as it would on regular ice so move the puck quickly, shoot from everywhere and drive the net

Since there is less space, speed doesn't have as much of a factor as it would on regular ice so move the puck quickly, shoot from everywhere and drive the net

Pretty much this. Players who know when to cut to open space do particular well in these games. They will open up for passes, and often pull other players to them in which they can either shoot quickly or dish the puck for a shot.

I hate these games because there is no reason to get speed as there are always guys back on defense. You also use a lot of energy with stops and starts. The goalies face a lot of shots, so will tend to get slower the longer you go.

3 on 3 is simple but it's amazing to me how people just don't do it. Here's what I try to coach.

1. Pass the puck

2. Burn your coverage and get open

3. On the defensive side, stay in the lanes and cover your man

It's pretty much that simple if everybody does it.

The key is skating hard when you DON'T have the puck. This is what opens up lanes. Too many people want to skate hard with the puck - in 3 on 3 this doesn't work that well.

If you can move the puck and then move away from your coverage it's amazing the opportunities that open up. It takes a lot of work but it pays off.

any more tips for 3 on 3 hockey played on a small mini or studio sized rink? its 3 on 3 with goalies. No icing or offsides. No tagging up. The game does have a ref and penalties are enforced by penalty shot. Thanks.