Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer Supreme TotalONE NXG

First skate was on Sunday March 11 - public ice session.

Skated with the Stiff inserts, and infinitely better than my first skate with TotalONE 2.5 years ago. Was not experiencing the foot sliding that I experienced then (http://www.modsquadh...preme-totalone/ for reference)

Feet were a bit red after the skate, but manageable.

Skated with them today; this time in a hockey setting.

I received the XS inserts this afternoon and immediately put them in.

No pain when lacing up, and certainly none when walking.

On ice, felt extremely responsive; can definitely feel the tendon guard/range of motion more than before.

I didn't get that feeling like I wanted to take them off immediately. Still no foot slippage or anything, skates feel good. It will take a bit to break them in but I feel that it will take less than it did with my TotalONE experience; and it validates the lack of overall stiffness I felt when I was trying to break those in with Medium inserts.

Latest update; the break-in process is going very well. Skated on them today.

Still not exactly game-ready however, haven't felt the need to rebake them like I did with the TotalONE.

I did have to take them off and retighten the laces; I need longer ones.

Swapped out the steel for regular LS2 (I didn't have time to profile the new LS2 Fusion it came with, and found a brand new set of profiled LS2 in my miscellaneous steel box).

Skated on Monday at the Tampa Bay Times Forum - where the Lightning play their games. First full-game experience on them; they felt good on ice,but swelling in my feet after, which really is normal for me. They are breaking in very well.

Really put the skates through the ringer today; break-in is almost there, still getting some swelling in my feet but like I stated before, it's normal for me.

However, there's something I have to mention, and I realized it today; there is an absolute difference in the NXG from the TotalONE, and that is range of motion. The extra range from the tendon guard is felt. Also, starts and turns are extremely strong.

My TotalONEs are in excellent shape; I'm going to go back to them with the NXG inserts and see how it goes. But I am pretty certain that I did not feel what I am feeling now in the NXG.

Skated yesterday - first time I haven't had to fiddle around with my skates. That tells me they're broken-in.

One thing to note - I didn't have to do the second bake like I did in every one of the other skates I've reviewed.

I did try my TotalONEs - you'd think a broken-down skate would be flexier than a newer one - the 5 degree difference on the NXG tendon guard is the difference.

I've gone back to my NXGs for the first time after completing the Nexus 1000 LTR; I went ahead and switched the steel and put my STEP BlackSteel on them.

It was an...interesting experience. Coming back to it from being on a "conventional" skate in the Nexus, it took me a bit to get reintroduced to the feel and reaction you get from skating in the NXG.