Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Warrior EVO (Cooperalls)

Thanks to JR, MSH and Warrior for the opportunity to review the new EVO stick!

Detail.jpg

I'm happy to field questions about the EVO via PM.

Product: Warrior Evo

Flex: 85

Curve: Gionta

Velvet grip

About Me:

5'-11"/200

Defense

Sr. Rec league, A/B level, 2-3 times/week

Initial impressions:

Blade - Because I haven't used it yet, I can't comment on how it plays, so I'll only say that the blade is very stiff and barely flexes using both hands.

X_Weave_FH.jpg

X_Weave_BH.jpg

Shaft/Flex - I love the velvet grip and the slick grip texture, it provides grip without being tacky. The sidewalls are slightly concaved. The Flex feels true to rating. I've been using a Widow with same flex/pattern for the last three months. I can definitely tell the difference in flex profile. The Linear Taper of the EVO feels more consistent than the Dagger Taper of the Widow.

Grip (Backhand and Bottom)

Grip.jpg

Slick (Forehand and Top)

Slick.jpg

Weight and balance - Overall the EVO is a light, well-balanced stick. With two hands on it, it feels very balanced and nimble. Dropping my bottom hand, it doesn't have the same dexterity as the lightest sticks on the market. Uncut, it weighed in at 489g. This compared to 471g for the same pattern/flex Widow Grip SE. Cut and taped, it feels slightly blade heavy.

Intangibles - The graphics are cool and finely detailed, but the one thing that makes the EVO different from every other retail stick on the market is the combination of the velvet grip, slick grip texture and the slightly concave shaft shape.

Forehand.jpg

Backhand.jpg

Conclusion - As someone who is a fan of mid-kick sticks, of which there are a selective few available, I'm excited to take it out and see how it performs. First game is tonight, I'll post a first skate session review soon.

*Here's the Gionta curve, I mirrored the image it to show LH.

Gionta_Curve.jpg

Gionta_CurveLH.jpg

I had my first game with the EVO tonight, it's a fun stick to use. I missed half my warm-up, so I only got to stickhandle around a little bit and take a half dozen shots with it when I could concentrate on the feel/performance.

Right away I noticed it plays with better balance than it seemed to have off-ice. Any difference in weight/balance as compared to my Widow was negligible.

Overall feel was good. I didn't have any problems finding the puck without looking down, and dead-stopped several hard passes and even a couple opponents shots without bobbling the puck or having it rebound away from me.

The shaft flexes easily, to the point I could feel it give slightly even when stickhandling. My gut reaction was that a stiffer flex would work better for me (PP)with this model, but there's always an adjustment period with a new twig.

Even though I'm using the exact same flex/curve as my Widow, the Linear Taper of the EVO loads and releases in a completely different way from the Widow's Dagger Taper. First thing I noticed was that the shaft loads up more. Consequently I took more sweeping wrist shots and full-draw slap shots than I do with the Widow. I can feel the shaft load up on any type of shot. At first, I made no conscious changes to my shot mechanics, and my shots (both wrist and slap) were sailing higher than anticipated. In fairness, I was a little amped up. Both to be playing one of the better teams in our division, and to be testing out a new stick. During the game, the goalie had to duck my first two slap shots from the point, by the third attempt, I was compensating heavily to keep the puck on the ice. Later in the game, if I didn't thing about aiming low, my shot crept up again.

I wouldn't say the stick has 'pop', but it generates a ton of power. Because of the way the shaft loads, every shot/pass seemed to have a little lag to it, but when the puck left the blade it was in a hurry. I'll enjoy the "honeymoon" phase where a brand new stick kicks like crazy.

Next skate is Sunday, and I might try to sneak in a stick-time next week so I can focus on how it shoots.

I don't have the stick dialed in yet, but my second time out felt much more comfortable than the first. I was able to place my shots as accurately as I normally do without thinking about it.

The biggest adjustment I made was slowing down my motion, waiting to feel the shaft load on a shot, then continuing with my follow through. This means shots come off a little slower, but I was able to get good velocity and accuracy in return for a little patience.

The EVO has good puck feel. Not remarkably good like a One95, but certainly good enough to not be any distraction. Same goes for playing weight. It's not blade-light like an APX, but it's not blade heavy like an ST either.

I'm still loving the Velvet Grip/SlickGrip texture combo.

It's taken a few nicks/scrapes, but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of damage.

I've skated two more games and a stick time in with the EVO since my last post. It feels quite comfortable now. Of the categories I can comment on through the first 5 uses (blade, shaft/flex, weight/balance, stickhandling/passing, and shooting) I'd rate it good to very good in every one, but not exceptional in any. There are lighter sticks, sticks with more kick, sticks with better puck feel etc, but the EVO isn't deficient in any of these categories either.

I'd say I'd probably go with a 100 flex if I were to get a second EVO. That's mostly PP, but also speaks to the differences of a Mid-flex-point stick.

What sets this stick apart is the flex profile. Having never used a Dynasty, I can't say if it's the AxySym technology, the Linear Taper profile, or a combination of both that makes it load and release the way it does: but that's the biggest difference from any other stick I've used.

I had a drop-in and another game this weekend. No revelations to report. As long as I slow down my mechanics just a touch I get good action on my slap and snap shots. It's a very solid stick. I've taken, and given some hefty stick-checks, and the EVO isn't any worse for wear.

It could be that I'm spoiled on ultra light sticks, or maybe I just had a bad skate tonight, but my hands felt a little sluggish, like I couldn't make a second or third move quite as quickly as I normally do.

It's still early to comment on overall durability, but the stick still kicks like it did the first time I used it, and save an expected amount of wear and tear the EVO is still in excellent condition. It's got a few paint chips, and one small chunk taken out of the top of the blade (got stepped on in the corner). The toe is holding up well. I'm careful to tape over the toe (double-layer) and re-tape whenever that area becomes worn. So far it has no chips that could lead to delamination, and the blade remains quite stiff.

I've had a couple more games/drop-ins with the EVO, just a few things to update.

The EVO is still in the "honeymoon" phase, meaning it hasn't lost any pop yet. I typically find sticks have the most kick to them for a couple weeks/10-15 uses, whichever comes first, then they usually settle in and are pretty consistent until they "whip out". I've used it 11 times now, and it still feels the same as it did the first time.

It's taken minimal wear to the blade/shaft. There's cosmetic chips, mostly on the toe and the bottom third of the shaft, where I get stick-checked/lifted.

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

The other thing I'd comment on is the value of the stick. There's a couple online retailers selling the EVO for $149.99 USD. At that price point I'd say the EVO is a great value. There are a number of sticks that I think are a good deal (RBK 6K, Bauer Vapor 4.0, RBK A.i.5 just to name a few). With those, I believe you get a really good stick for right around $100-$120 USD. The Evo is a step above those sticks. The only other stick I'd put in the same class in terms of performance vs. price is the Sherwood T90. I've used both of those sticks and their weight, balance and performance are significantly better than anything else in a similar price point. At retail pricing, this is the best $150 stick I've used.

I've used the stick 20 times now. It has settled down in terms of kick, but t still shoots very well. Durability is seems good. There are some chips in the shaft/blade, but so far they are all cosmetic. The blade is still stiff and the shaft loads and releases smoothly. I'll update if anything changes. Personally, I think getting 40-50 uses is where the durability is high enough that I'd get a second stick, or recommend it to a friend without hesitating. When I get closer to that mileage, I'll post quantifiable scores on the EVO for each category.

I've got 40+ uses with the EVO now, so I feel confident wrapping up with finial impressions, including durability.

Blade (8/10) - It's got a good, stiff blade on it. It's neither thick nor thin, it's not ping-y at all. Over time small chips caused it to get a little more flexible/soft in at the toe, but it didn't crack or delaminate despite quite a bit of use.

Shaft/Flex (9/10) - I'm definitely a fan of both the velvet grip and the slick grip texture, it provides grip without being tacky. I can definitely tell the difference in Linear Taper flex profile. With the 85 flex, it loads easily, but I can feel it flex slightly when stickhandling. Going up to 100 flex would alleviate that, but that's PP. I would say that it flexes true to rating, understanding that the linear taper plays softer than most other flex profiles such as mid kick, low kick.

Stickhandling/receiving passes (8/10) - Like I said, the 85 flex is a little soft for my preference. It's weight and balance are slightly inhibiting. With a lighter, better balanced stick I feel more confident trying faster, more difficult moves. Steady deliberate moves are the EVO's strong suit. It's a little blade heavy, and overall a slightly heavy, so stickhandling is a bit sluggish, but overall it performs well.

Weight and balance (8/10) - Overall the EVO is a light, well-balanced stick. With two hands on it, it feels very balanced and nimble. Dropping my bottom hand, it doesn't have the same dexterity as the lightest sticks on the market. Cut and taped, it feels slightly blade heavy. The EVO's weight and balance are excellent compared to other offerings in the same price range.

Durability (8/10) - 40-50 uses is my benchmark for deciding if I'd buy a second stick based on its durability. The EVO made it this far without showing excessive wear. Some chips in the blade, but no cracking or delaminating. The shaft lost a little pop over time, but still performs well. Some of the paint/grip chipped off, but what did come off was pretty far into its life, and was not excessive.

Intangibles (8/10) - The graphics are cool and finely detailed, but the one thing that makes the EVO unique is the combination of the velvet grip, slick grip texture and the slightly concave shaft shape. This type of flex profile seems to be gaining popularity, so the EVO may become less unique in the future, but at the time it was out, it was one of the only, if not the only, true mid-kick sticks available.

Conclusion - Compared to top end sticks, the EVO falls a little short in most areas of performance. However, the EVO is not a top end stick, nor is it priced as one. My composite review score is a 49/60 or 8.2/10. However, It's worth mentioning that those scores are relative to what's currently available on the market. In terms of overall value, the EVO is excellent. It's in a select group of sticks that cost significantly less than top end sticks and suffer only slightly in overall performance.

Thanks again to MSH and Warrior for the chance to use and review the EVO, I appreciate it!