Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

milezone

Adult Ice Hockey Camps

Are there any websites as to where and when these are held? I live in Oregon but could do a little traveling... Thanks for any input!

Anyone have an updates on any of these hockey camps? Im a newer player and ice time and learning opportunities are quite limited in my area. Really interested in doing one of these camps to improve my skill.

Went to Heartland as a kid back in the late 80's. Can't say enough good things about the quality of the training on and off the ice. Recommended it to a lot of friends and their kids as well. They were all extremely satisfied with their experiences.

Anyone have an updates on any of these hockey camps? Im a newer player and ice time and learning opportunities are quite limited in my area. Really interested in doing one of these camps to improve my skill.

Laura Stamm and Robby Glantz powerskating camps, while not specifically geared to adults, will take adults - since it's primarily individual skills, they worry more about what level you're at than what age you are. As you might guess it's predominantly balance and skating, with some stickhandling and puckwork. I enjoyed both the camps I went to.

I went to Weekend Warriors a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. The instruction is great and the groups are small enough that you get plenty of individual attention, plus there is video of both individual skating and the scrimmages, and off-ice discussion sessions. They are on the expensive side, though they do offer a scholarship program. It's also a lot of ice time and I found it pretty intense - each ice time is 2 hours, and Friday and Saturday both have two sessions (AM and PM).

I'm going back for a 2nd Weekend Warriors Camp this fall. I drive about an hour & half (or more depending on traffic) one way to play ice hockey so I don't get much ice time other than the adult league games I get to participate in, the high cost for me is a side effect of the extra ice time with decent instruction (something else I rarely get during the typical beer league game). I enjoyed the first camp immensely & am hoping this time around it is just as good or better.

The first ice session focused mainly on power skating like drills which is something I had never done before. I wish we had more time to scrimmage, but the drills were great skill builders & the coaches were very encouraging & wanted you to learn & get better, not just go through the motions.

15 hours ago, Ashtasticness said:

I've always wondered about adult camps. How much does something like that normally cost?

Weekend Warriors in Dallas is $750 (or $710 if you're an alum & are bringing back your previous jersey & socks).  That does not include travel or lodging (thankfully my folks live in the area so I will stay with them).

On 2/22/2016 at 3:59 PM, Ashtasticness said:

I've always wondered about adult camps. How much does something like that normally cost?

From what Ive found its a little pricey if you have to travel. About $2k for most of them. That includes the camp, hotel and flight.

Thinking about going to the Weekend Warriors camp in CO. For those of you who have attended before, what has the age mix been like? Judging by the pics on their site it looks like an older crowd (I'm 29) which is fine, but it would be nice to have some other people closer to my age too.

I've been to the Tahoe one a long time ago, and you'll get a wide range of ages. Many people return annually. In all honesty, you won't have time to be concerned with how old every one is. You'll be too busy playing hockey or too tired. 

On 2/24/2016 at 0:58 PM, sectachrome said:

Thinking about going to the Weekend Warriors camp in CO. For those of you who have attended before, what has the age mix been like? Judging by the pics on their site it looks like an older crowd (I'm 29) which is fine, but it would be nice to have some other people closer to my age too.

They say the Vail Camp is one of the better ones because of the location - lots of people travel in & use it as a minivacation & there are groups that go out at night together for some adult beverages.  The last one I went to in Dallas was a broad mix of ages (I was 35-36) & there were younger guys (early 30s) up to a few guys that probably were almost old enough to be my dad.  I don't think you'll feel out of place at all, you're all there to learn to play hockey better.

On 2/24/2016 at 1:47 PM, x-axis said:

I've been to the Tahoe one a long time ago, and you'll get a wide range of ages. Many people return annually. In all honesty, you won't have time to be concerned with how old every one is. You'll be too busy playing hockey or too tired. 

12 minutes ago, LoneStar77 said:

They say the Vail Camp is one of the better ones because of the location - lots of people travel in & use it as a minivacation & there are groups that go out at night together for some adult beverages.  The last one I went to in Dallas was a broad mix of ages (I was 35-36) & there were younger guys (early 30s) up to a few guys that probably were almost old enough to be my dad.  I don't think you'll feel out of place at all, you're all there to learn to play hockey better.

Cool. It's pretty pricey but I'd really like to get some real instruction to improve my game. It's a neat location too.

15 hours ago, Ashtasticness said:I applied for a scholarship for the Atlanta Weekend Warriors on their website  and won :0 I am still stunned by it.  Thats awesome! Post your thoughts after you do it!

7 hours ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:that Awesome! and now i will go and try to do the same thing for the NJ WW campDefinitely try. I did it on a whim and ended up getting it so who knows!

Been to heartland , it doesn't matter what level you are , it's paradise .. I met up and bunked in with a couple of my friends who at that time played in echl, sphl and so on .. We had a gym and unlimited ice time at our disposal, the food was amazing, Steve Jensen is a really good man and it doesn't matter if you play in the NHL there's always room for improvement. You pay for quality and you get quality with quantity at Heartland .. Steve turned the lights on for me at 12 am by the shooting lanes outside. Just because you signed up it doesn't mean you have to attend any of the classes my buddies and myself didn't, we had our own routine and if the staff needed any help we were there. It's a paradise man ... Paradise...

On 2/25/2016 at 8:04 PM, Ashtasticness said:

I applied for a scholarship for the Atlanta Weekend Warriors on their website  and won :0 I am still stunned by it. 

This is awesome! Enjoy