Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
shotty

Haglunds / Bauer Bumps

Hi gentlemen, I've been in Bauer skates since september 2011, was wearing grafs for years and years before that and just tonight I noticed what I have determined to be haglunds deformity on both ankles. Obviously I haven't confirmed this, and I will, but is there anyone on here with experience in dealing with this? Does it go away with rest or if I stop using the skates?

Thanks in advance.

I've dealt with haglunds pretty recently, to the point where it was painful to skate. I've been using a bunga Achilles / heel pad on my right foot (where the pain was) for a while now and would definitely recommend trying them. not only did the pain go away, but the bump has shrunk significantly. I need to get another for my left foot. It will take up a very small amount of volume in your boot, enough that I noticed the first time I used it, but it didn't take me long at all to completely adjust to it being there.

http://bungapads.com/bunga-achilles-heel-pad-ahp.html

• Like 1

I received my bumps from using a pair of Vapors. I tried a few different skates (Grafs, Eastons) and found my way back to Bauer. I ended up fitting better than I would have ever expected into a pair of One100's. Since then my feet have been in heaven.

I should look into using bunga pads or similar since I have developed Haglund's deformity on both feet wearing Bauer Vapors. luckily, mine do not hurt at all but still the back of my stumps look weird...

There are a billion threads about this; if you haven't, use the search function and check out some of the other firsthand experiences people have posted (I know I found old threads helpful when I first started dealing with this). For my part, I just recap what I've posted before, which is that you really need to figure out what's causing the irritation and get it under control right away, no matter what it takes. It might just be thicker socks or better insoles or bunga pads, or it might mean new skates, but if you dick around, they can get bad pretty fast (though not always, if you're lucky). In my case, hindsight suggested my skates were a half size too big and that little bit of room combined with having really flat feet with a tall foot made it hard to get a good heal lock and the tiniest movement was created the irritation. Going down a size and putting superfeet insoles in solved the problem. They aren't getting worse, but the small bumps are still there- so I get skates punched now.

I just like to chime in on these kinds of threads to encourage people to get this kind of thing under control right away instead of waiting to see if it goes away on its own.. because it can mean the difference between finding relief and really screwing up your feet.

Silly question. I always thought it was just called Bauer Bumps but you can get them in any make of skate, correct?

• Like 1

Silly question. I always thought it was just called Bauer Bumps but you can get them in any make of skate, correct?

Any brand skate or shoe, etc that causes irritation in that area.

I should look into using bunga pads or similar since I have developed Haglund's deformity on both feet wearing Bauer Vapors. luckily, mine do not hurt at all but still the back of my stumps look weird...

same here. had some discomfort for a little bit in the beginning but the bump now isnt really irritated in my skates. i had x40's for about 2 years and had 0 problems, then got x60's and about 3 months into skating on them only my right foot developed the bump. i only felt the irritation when i was walking around, but on the ice i could never feel the pain at all. i was experimenting with putting different things in the boot but now i dont need to put anything in it

do they sell them in any mainstream retail stores? in vancouver

I've found that most Source for Sports locations in Alberta have them, so that is where I'd call first in Vancouver.

I got the bumps (from wearing ill fitting Bauer skates) maybe 5+ years ago. They started off as blisters and then became a bump. They are still here although they don't bother me or cause any problems. Ironically, I've worn several other brands since but am back to wearing Bauers. It was only that one pair of skates that caused the problem.

How do the bunga pads help exactly?

a couple days after i posted this thread, i bought bunga pads and holy smokes, world of a difference. i'm still going to buy new skates, but these were heaven. from what i understand the ONLY way the haglunds will go away is if you literally stay off your skates until their gone and/or wear sandals to avoid any potential rubbing or irritation. if i can keep them at the stage they are at, which is very small and relatively painless, i'll be happy.

thanks for all the help guys.

calixguy18, the unit itself is like a tensor wrap (as seen on crosby's feet in the photo above) except there is a gel like insert on the heel portion... you would position the gel over the bump, either over top or underneath your socks, and the idea is that the gel acts as padding to minimize the irritation that caused the bump. i think as a by product, the mass that the gel creates also helps to create more heel lock.

Edited by shotty

anyone have any issues with only using 1? i only need it for my right heel, do i need to buy both to even it out?

I'm pretty sure that they're sold one per package (individually), therefore, no, you should be OK wearing just the one on your right heel.

Well if you only have issues with the right side of your leg, I see no reason to wear it for your other foot. I only developed a bump on my right foot too, and only used the pad on that side.

Interesting note: when I use Superfeet insoles, my problem was immediately solved. No more pressure over the bump, and it has since gone down in size.

Interesting note: when I use Superfeet insoles, my problem was immediately solved. No more pressure over the bump, and it has since gone down in size.

i tried the superfeet, did not help that problem but helped other ones

has anyone heard anything about these heel gel pads that stick inside the boot? think i might try them, $9 for 2 of them at one of my local shops. i couldnt find bunga pads anywhere close or they said they were sold out. gotta drive about an hour if i want to get one

http://www.hockeymon...el-gel-pad.html

EACHPAD-2.jpg

i think my main issue would be the durability of the adhesive. having to slip skates on and off im afraid it's gonna start peeling off after a few uses

Edited by t6lock

EACHPAD-2.jpg

well i purchased them, for science

it was hard to place in the boot, had to undo all the laces and pull the tongue up. had some issues with it in the beginning when i put my skate on or take it off, loosening the laces more than i normally do solved that problem. also i take my insoles out when i air my skates out and its pretty hard to take them out without peeling the gel off. as for on ice, my bump is not as red as it normally is after playing. just played 2 games in 2 days, have another tomorrow so i'll see how it holds up then but signs are pointing out that these gel pads are working fine.

How is the adhesive on the pads when the liner of the skate gets wet? Any issues with durability?

so on the 3rd game in 3 days, i could feel the pad peeling off a little bit mid game. the heel gel is still well in tact and after i took my foot out, the adhesive still seemed to be working ok. dont think this is gonna be a good long term solution

I've always had haglunds on my heels from skates, got my X60's made and those irrirated the crap out of them and they grew significantly worse. I bought a set of the bunga pads and haven't had a problem since, bumps are even smaller now than before