Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adam14

"What are you watching" thread

I figured that since we had a reading and music thread, we could give this one a try. I hope I'm not the only one who enjoys tv series, but as of late I've either caught up with everything or waiting for a new season to begin. but if anybody is looking for some recommendations on shows, the ones i've recently watched are:

Suits: a young kid with a photographic memory lies to become a lawyer and the firm knowingly takes him on board. Great acting. funny show Third season just finished on air.

Sons of Anarchy: a show about a motorcycle club in cali, and how they smuggle guns and deal with rival gangs. fifth season about to begin, so 4 to catch up on

The wire: quite possibly the best 5 seasons of television anybody will watch. I highly recommend it, about cops in baltimore and dealing with heroin dealers but the stories get told from so many different angles. really well written show.

Game of Thrones, again as soon as I got really into it, I was caught up and have to wait again, about a made up kingdom and different families fighting for power. I didn't think i'd enjoy it as much as I did.

Anybody else got shows where you have to watch weekly to follow the story lines? or any shows that you guys are watching that would be worth looking into?

About the only series I actually go out of my way to watch is Warehouse 13, though I have been thinking of picking up HBO again to see Newsroom.

EDIT:

Bar Rescue and Restaurant Impossible seem to be on a lot lately and I tend to watch them, though I don't usually go looking for them. Same with Face Off.

I wouldn't get HBO on Newsroom alone, it's a bit too much miss at this point.

Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Episodes, Wilfred and I am waiting for Dexter to die.

I never really did any episodic TV "following" until another guy at work and I started watching Sopranos on DVD every day at lunch. When we finished that we watched the Shield beginning to end.

Now I've got a bunch I follow:

Breaking Bad

Game of Thrones

Sons of Anarchy

The Newsroom

Dexter

Justified

Homeland

Supernatural - a lot of great humour and interesting takes on myths and legends.

Game of Thrones - epic episodic fantasy.

The Walking Dead - following a group of survivors in a post apocalyptic world overrun with zombies. The first season was the most enthralling, but it's still entertaining.

Lost Girl - Canadian content that's a little cheesy at times and definitely has a lower budget than US productions, but the supernatural series about a succubus is suprisingly entertaining.

Being Human - A supernatural drama that follows the lives of a werewolf, vampire and ghost trying to bring a sense of normalcy to their lives. I've heard the British version is better, but I've only seen the North American version.

Continuum - A Canadian sci-fi series that involves a cop and a bunch of rebels that travel back in time to the present. In the future the world is overtly controlled by a group of large corporations.

True Blood - Supernatural creatures, sex, violence and humour.

I've been checking out Big Bang Theory since someone (don't remember who) mentioned it to me at SJ.

I've tried a couple times, it just isn't for me.

The shows I'm currently watching are....

- Battlestar Galactica (on Netflix) - I got into this about halfway into the series when it was running on the Sci-Fi channel. And even then I missed a lot of episodes near the end. So the wife and I are re-watching it while it's on Netflix. Very cool.

- Breaking Bad (on Netflix) - another series I didn't get an urge to watch until recently. So so so good. Love being able to watch it without commercials or have to wait for next weeks new episode.

- Falling Skies

- Game of Thrones

- The Walking Dead

- Sons of Anarchy

the Big Bang Theory- I own all seasons on DVD and watch through them all the time.

Treme- From the guys who wrote The Wire, I love this show because it shows New Orleans as it is through the eyes of locals. Also the music is, naturally, amazing.

The Wire- I started watching this via HBO Go. I'm barely into the 2nd season but this is one of the smartest shows ever written.

Cooking Channel- As an amateur chef, I love Cooking Channel...especially because they still have cooking shows on it. Food Network has turned into MTV; how terribly disappointing.

Weeds- I'm sad this is the last season of Weeds, but the writing is starting to suffer so maybe it's time to go away.

watched 6 episodes of newsroom over the weekend, it's better than I expected and I had pretty high hopes for it.

I don't know how you can stand the extraneous dialogue and the overacting of whoever plays "Mac". Were you a West Wing fan?

There are so many great speeches and great moments in Season 1: The opener with the "America is not the Greatest Country" speech. I think it's Ep 3 with Will's "Apology" on the air. Any scene with Sam Waterston & Jane Fonda. Mac's tirade before the power comes on and the "Fix Out" ending when the Governor is shot!

IT give me chills...maybe it's because I'm in the media...but never had a chance (and probably never will) to be in that kind of fast paced, newsroom environment.

i know it's cheesy, over the top, heavily leaning politically and full of Sorkin's personal agenda and beliefs....but it's so entertaining!

No governor was shot on the show. One of the episodes centered around the shooting of the congresswoman in Arizona.

As the show goes, the opening scene of why America is not great was one of the best opening scenes of any series that I have ever seen. I was hooked from the get go. Mac was originally supposed to be played by Marisa Tomei (which I could totally see) but I think Emily Mortimer does an great job and it might be the best work that Jeff Daniels has ever done.

No governor was shot on the show. One of the episodes centered around the shooting of the congresswoman in Arizona.

Sorry...my bad...

As the show goes, the opening scene of why America is not great was one of the best opening scenes of any series that I have ever seen. I was hooked from the get go. Mac was originally supposed to be played by Marisa Tomei (which I could totally see) but I think Emily Mortimer does an great job and it might be the best work that Jeff Daniels has ever done.

Daniels has been fantastic in the episodes I've seen so far. I was surprised at how well Olivia Munn was as well, I know some people have been critical of her abilities. The only one on the cast that I really thought has been weak has been Maggie.

^ Totally agree, Maggie's personality is so different from the rest of the cast and I find it quite annoying at times. I read that Sorkin fired his writing staff for Newsroom so hopefully Season 2 will be just as good as the first.

Shows I try to keep up with:

The Office (I love this show but it's time for it to end and I hope the writers do the final season justice)

Top Gear (UK & US)

Doctor Who

Breaking Bad

The Walking Dead

Dexter- this is one of those rare instances where the show/movie is actually waaaaay better than the books.

Homeland

The Big C

Californication

An Idiot Abroad

I've been watching Trip Flip with Bert Kreischer lately. I know him from his comedy so I figured I'd catch up on this. It's pretty funny and he takes people to go do some really cool stuff.