Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Saw one site saying 800g for 9D skate, even.

That's what IW says. I felt as if my Supreme One.9 LE's were lighter and faster than my Makos (but nowhere near as comfortable; Mako feels like a tennis shoe, One.9 LE felt like something from the Spanish Inquisition), even though IW lists Mako as 800g (9D) vs. 850g (also 9D) for the One.9 LE. I will weigh my Makos, curious to see now. I also had to add .5 size in going from Supreme to Mako, which would add a few grams.

Edited by Cosmic

Not really going to be able to know for sure unless someone gets a pair before the summer release and skates in them. I didn't have the high ankle rubbing issue, but it will be interesting to see if those that did don't have that problem with the Mako II.

For those wondering Size 7D :

2n1ut1.jpg

Some sites list them as low as 805 Grams.

Would you mind taking the laces out and weighing them again? Just curious.

To anyone who has problems with the original Mako's: It would seem they Easton has fixed everything with the Mako II. No extra hand work had to be done after heating the boot like normal.

Zach

Can't wait for the Mako 2 to come out, is there a official release date?

Everyone on here has said June is a definite. Ive heard it from others too.

HM just dropped the price of the current mako's to $599, and with the coupon it brings it down to $480.

Really thinking about pulling the trigger on these, and hoping that the new ones arent that much different - and that I dont get the ankle rubbing problem.

Its pretty much $480 for the current ones - and I get to have them now, or pay 750-850 for the mako II in June.

For those who get the rubbing issue - are you wearing socks that come above the boot? I usually wear easton synergy socks - so I would think that just having those on would allow the boot to slide and not rub - and not give me problems (if I were someone who was affected by the mako bump).

Im thinking $480 is a good price for essentially the same thing that Im 100% going to pay in June.

Any reason to wait besides the mako bump problem?

EDIT: Worst case scenario, if I really end up wanting the mako II in June, I can always convert these to roller skates :D What do you think?

Edited by louierev07

I think that the first generation mako's are definitely serviceable. You will have to spend a little time workout out the spots that give you trouble (IE all the "mako bump" spots), but after that, you essentially have the same skate. That's the worst case scenario. Best case scenario, they fit you right out of the box, and you don't have any problems.

I don't think you need to wait, and at $480, that's a great price for that skate.

Zach

I think that the first generation mako's are definitely serviceable. You will have to spend a little time workout out the spots that give you trouble (IE all the "mako bump" spots), but after that, you essentially have the same skate. That's the worst case scenario. Best case scenario, they fit you right out of the box, and you don't have any problems.

I don't think you need to wait, and at $480, that's a great price for that skate.

Zach

Yea, agreed. The only way I can see them dropping lower is in a few months, and who knows what sizes will be left.

My only concern is that no one sells Easton skates around here. Ive heard that the bake temp is higher on these vs bauer skates. Do Easton skates need a special oven to bake in, or do other skate oven's have a temp that you can set?

Im worried about someone at the pro shop around here just throwing them in for whatever time and temp bauers need to be baked at.

Edited by louierev07

For those who get the rubbing issue - are you wearing socks that come above the boot? I usually wear easton synergy socks - so I would think that just having those on would allow the boot to slide and not rub - and not give me problems (if I were someone who was affected by the mako bump).

I wear longer socks and had the mako bump problem on one of my ankles. I just reheated that part and pushed it out a little bit and wore an ace bandage over the raw spot until it healed. I didn't have any issues after the reheating. I believe the issue was that I originally tied the top two eyelets too tight after baking, but I can't confirm this.

My only concern is that no one sells Easton skates around here. Ive heard that the bake temp is higher on these vs bauer skates. Do Easton skates need a special oven to bake in, or do other skate oven's have a temp that you can set?

Im worried about someone at the pro shop around here just throwing them in for whatever time and temp bauers need to be baked at.

I baked mine at home and had no issues. I followed the instructions on the box. 200 degrees for 10 minutes (I think early models might have said 15 minutes which is a little long). I did one skate at a time and flipped it after 5 minutes.

However, I would recommend that you get them done in a shop, just make sure they follow the temp and time duration that's listed on the packaging.

Have an oven at home? You can use that. I did with no ill results. Just follow the MLX video on youtube, with the printed temperatures on the mako box.

Zach

I wear longer socks and had the mako bump problem on one of my ankles. I just reheated that part and pushed it out a little bit and wore an ace bandage over the raw spot until it healed. I didn't have any issues after the reheating. I believe the issue was that I originally tied the top two eyelets too tight after baking, but I can't confirm this.

I baked mine at home and had no issues. I followed the instructions on the box. 200 degrees for 10 minutes (I think early models might have said 15 minutes which is a little long). I did one skate at a time and flipped it after 5 minutes.

However, I would recommend that you get them done in a shop, just make sure they follow the temp and time duration that's listed on the packaging.

Good to hear about the bump fix. This is what I figured would be the solution - pretty much the same as breaking in skates, but just a in a different section.

Have an oven at home? You can use that. I did with no ill results. Just follow the MLX video on youtube, with the printed temperatures on the mako box.

Zach

I did my vapors at home, which came out really good (did them twice), but Im cautious to do it with expensive skates like the makos. Ill probably take it somewhere, but I wanna make sure I know what to do, so I can make sure that they are doing it right.

I currently have them sitting in my cart, but Im having last minute second thoughts. I mean - I do like my vapors, and had I not tried on mako's - I would be getting x90's or x100's for my next pair of skates.

Just worried about spending 500 and then not liking them when I actually get them on the ice. I thought I would have until June to make a decision on the switch.

Good to hear about the bump fix. This is what I figured would be the solution - pretty much the same as breaking in skates, but just a in a different section.

My pain went away for a while (about 4-5 games), and then suddenly came back one game. That was a hellish game. Since then, I just wear the neoprene sleeve. The issue may be gone, I'm really not sure. Just not willing to find out the hard way. For the 10 seconds to put the sleeve on, I'm not risking it.

Everyone on here has said June is a definite. Ive heard it from others too.

HM just dropped the price of the current mako's to $599, and with the coupon it brings it down to $480.

Really thinking about pulling the trigger on these, and hoping that the new ones arent that much different - and that I dont get the ankle rubbing problem.

Its pretty much $480 for the current ones - and I get to have them now, or pay 750-850 for the mako II in June.

Im thinking $480 is a good price for essentially the same thing that Im 100% going to pay in June.

Any reason to wait besides the mako bump problem?

EDIT: Worst case scenario, if I really end up wanting the mako II in June, I can always convert these to roller skates :D What do you think?

I wear the Bauer yellow Kevlar socks, which come up to my knees, and still got the bumps bad on my first skate. I was prepared for the bumps to be a problem, and if I was to get them, then I was interested to see where they would show up, so I could just pad that area. I got some nice little wounds that still mark the spot (from Dec 2013). Since that time, I have cut MoleSkin for each spot that gets chafed, and then wear a gel sleeve over the moleskin, and no problems. Just the gel sleeve is actually not enough. It has been an extra expense, and 10 minutes of prep prior to each game, but I already had the items (so the expense was already incurred); and the extra 10 minutes of prep are not a big deal to me, as I need the time to narrow my focus into hockey anyway.

The Mako IIs have some subtle improvements, but nothing too seemingly huge- a seemingly more durable & responsive tongue, and the liner is claiming better moisture wicking. My Mako liner gets pretty wet after games. It dries quickly too, sure, but I would prefer a dry liner after each game, as I am a sweater, playing in a humid environment. No big deal though, I just dry them out and they are always fine. I wonder though, if that sweat that is accumulating in the liner is giving me that heavy skate feeling in the 3rd period (or if it is just that the skates are indeed a bit heavy, and I am not in the best condition in the world). I wonder if the new and improved liner will wick the sweat out as the skater perspires, thus saving precious grams of weight when the skater is already starting to fatigue. I do not know, but for me, this would possibly justify the extra expense and time, if I were in skates that I liked.

I would ask how happy you are with your skates, before considering making the purchase. I wanted to wait for the Makos to get to this price drop and/or for Mako II, but I lacked skates at the time, so I just bought the Makos at $800 (-20% discount).

I did my vapors at home, which came out really good (did them twice), but Im cautious to do it with expensive skates like the makos. Ill probably take it somewhere, but I wanna make sure I know what to do, so I can make sure that they are doing it right.

I currently have them sitting in my cart, but Im having last minute second thoughts. I mean - I do like my vapors, and had I not tried on mako's - I would be getting x90's or x100's for my next pair of skates.

Just worried about spending 500 and then not liking them when I actually get them on the ice. I thought I would have until June to make a decision on the switch.

Makos do not size exactly like Bauers. I was a 10.0 EE in Supreme One.9 (and APX2/X100); a friend of mine was also a 10.0 EE in Supreme. We are both 10.5 EE in Easton Mako.

Edited by Cosmic
  • Like 1

My Mako liner gets pretty wet after games. It dries quickly too, sure, but I would prefer a dry liner after each game, as I am a sweater, playing in a humid environment. No big deal though, I just dry them out and they are always fine.

I've noticed that too. The insides of my Makos are FAR more wet than the insides of my RBK skates ever were.

I've noticed that too. The insides of my Makos are FAR more wet than the insides of my RBK skates ever were.

This is an interesting confirmation. I am especially curious to know what the weight is, when dry, and then when wet. I have a video of me receiving a pass in the slot, taking a few steps toward the goal, and then firing a wrist shot, and my steps are soooooo slooooowwww. By nature, I am not quick footed, and I think that I was fatigued (adrenaline prevents me from really feeling fatigued, but I figure that my performance slows as the game proceeds); I just wonder how many extra gams I was carrying in my skates, and if this was contributing to my apparent tar heeledness on this particular play.

I also have Mako's and have had them 8 months or so, size 7.5EE. Love them and had to tweak after initial bake with a heat gun near both ankles. After that no issues.

As to them possibly holding sweat, I agree, but I don't think it amounts to very much. Roughly 455 grams is equal to 1 lb. I haven't weighed them after a game, but my guess is each skate wouldn't be soaking up close to the 1lb mark. I'll have to weigh them before and after and I'll report back. I have a very portable gram scale I'll tote it along and weigh them in locker room after a game.

Yes the liner gets wet from your sweat during the skate, but the liner itself is not soaking up the moisture like a sponge does. My impression is that the weight doesn't change significantly when you compare them before and after.

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe that a bit of sweat build up could ever impact anyones foot speed. Seriously? When compared to skates 5, 10, 20 years ago these skates today are nearly weightless.

Here is what I learned from the LPH show at the Mn State Tourney.

M2 has a redesign of the hot spot as I had heard.

I was told that the problem with the old skate was that the thermo form Gel was settling downward each time the boot was baked, including the initial bake. The nearest seam/stitching that defined the gels placement was low enough that the gel settled below the plastic from the tendon guard. Thus the hot spot.

M2 has a new thermoform material that is less susceptible to "settling" additionally the seam/stitching placement was raised slightly to insure the thermoform gel stays put.

I find it hard to believe that a bit of sweat build up could ever impact anyones foot speed. Seriously? When compared to skates 5, 10, 20 years ago these skates today are nearly weightless.

Here is what I learned from the LPH show at the Mn State Tourney.

M2 has a redesign of the hot spot as I had heard.

I was told that the problem with the old skate was that the thermo form Gel was settling downward each time the boot was baked, including the initial bake. The nearest seam/stitching that defined the gels placement was low enough that the gel settled below the plastic from the tendon guard. Thus the hot spot.

M2 has a new thermoform material that is less susceptible to "settling" additionally the seam/stitching placement was raised slightly to insure the thermoform gel stays put.

Getting mine in this week - any way I can bake mine without having this happen? Maybe a clip or something on that spot, or when I go to mold them, build up the rubbing spot on my ankle with tape. Anyway you can post a pic showing where the exact spot is?

To be honest, they fit pretty damn good even without baking, should I consider not baking them? Baking is just supposed to speed up the breaking in/molding process right? So I eventually would get the same result, it would just take longer?

I had to struggle to get mine on before having them baked, so I would ask whether or not you have the right size? For me these were the most uncomfortable skate out of the box. Without baking you're not going to get the foot wrap/fit that the Mako provides. While I can see your apprehension in having the ankle issue that some experienced happen to you, I would point out that there are many of us skating in Mako's who didn't get that problem.

I would bake, and if you experience the ankle rubbing over the top of the boot, then you can spot heat that area and roll it out.