Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Just make sure you're getting equal wrap on the upper eyelets and you should be fine. If the top is pulled tighter than the couple below then you will have a problem.

I had to struggle to get mine on before having them baked, so I would ask whether or not you have the right size? For me these were the most uncomfortable skate out of the box. Without baking you're not going to get the foot wrap/fit that the Mako provides. While I can see your apprehension in having the ankle issue that some experienced happen to you, I would point out that there are many of us skating in Mako's who didn't get that problem.

I would bake, and if you experience the ankle rubbing over the top of the boot, then you can spot heat that area and roll it out.

This is so true about the Makos. Bake first and go from there.

Getting mine in this week - any way I can bake mine without having this happen? Maybe a clip or something on that spot, or when I go to mold them, build up the rubbing spot on my ankle with tape. Anyway you can post a pic showing where the exact spot is?

To be honest, they fit pretty damn good even without baking, should I consider not baking them? Baking is just supposed to speed up the breaking in/molding process right? So I eventually would get the same result, it would just take longer?

I would echo Chippa, MoJo and Broadstreet. Out of the box, I couldn't get mine on. Actually, I had a hard time with a 1/2 size too big out of the box. Once warmed up though.. they slip right on. So, I went down a 1/2 size and voila...

Importantly, I echo Chippa. I made that mistake (top eyelets too tight) and tried to skate through it. I paid the price for a good 3 months while my achilles healed. I still have a bump on it. That being said, I wouldn't go back to my Total Ones. They feel like wearing a brick now in comparison.

@Chippa and smcgreg - I leave the top eyelet unlaced, and prefer a lot of forward flex. Should I lace them up with or without the top eyelet when I go to bake? I think with my Bauers, I laced them up all the way when baking, but then undid the one eyeley when I actually went to skate.

With the my Makos, I use every eyelet but I don't tie my skates tight. The Makos fit my feet more like a sock so I don't rely on my laces as much as I would wearing my RBZs. I haven't had any problems and I've had my Makos for a year now.

• Like 1

With the my Makos, I use every eyelet but I don't tie my skates tight. The Makos fit my feet more like a sock so I don't rely on my laces as much as I would wearing my RBZs. I haven't had any problems and I've had my Makos for a year now.

Agree completely, there so so much boot wrap that typing the laces tightly is unnecessary.

Agree completely, there so so much boot wrap that typing the laces tightly is unnecessary.

Then why are you getting VHs? ;)

Seriously though, on the Makos, I leave the top two eyelets untied, but tape the top. That way I get a nice snug fit on the lower, but a looser fit up top for more flex. I tried not tying the top two and leaving it like that, but that's a bit too much lateral flex. The Makos are cut lower than my old supremes, so, need a bit more support with the tape. If I tie all the way to the top, even tightly, I feel like I don't get enough heel lock, nor enough forward flex, so, this is what I've settled on.

@Chippa and smcgreg - I leave the top eyelet unlaced, and prefer a lot of forward flex. Should I lace them up with or without the top eyelet when I go to bake? I think with my Bauers, I laced them up all the way when baking, but then undid the one eyeley when I actually went to skate.

I would probably lace them the way you plan to skate on them. The nice thing with the Makos is, if you don't like them post - bake, you can rebake a number of times. So, come to think of it, I'll take that back. I'd lace them the way you did with the Bauers and if you don't like that post bake, you can rebake. The good and bad thing about the Makos is that can be almost infinitely tweaked very easily. You can spot fix or do an entire rebake if you want, in contrast to most other high end skates. For those who like to micro manage their fit, this is great. For those who don't, not so much. The only limitation is stretching lengthwise, I believe.

Then why are you getting VHs? ;)

A few reasons. I have two different sized feet and the Makos were kind of a last resort before going custom. I also have a bit of issue with my right big toe. If VH had been around when I got the Makos I'd have gotten them instead. I also had the mako bumps issue and while I think it's probably gone away, I still use the neoprene sleeve on my ankle just in case.

I also still have some foot pain in them. Nowhere near as bad as in any other skate I've ever worn, but it still requires my lacing to be just right or else I'm skating in pain for most of the game (it seems to go away some time during the 2nd period).

The mako has done me well, I'm quite happy with them overall... so that brings up my last reason: simply because I want them. :P

Hi boys,

i was reading through the previous posts about the pitch ... but i still have a question when it comes to its pitch ...

My actual skates are Eastons S17. I got those with these 5mm heel lift pads in them. But later on, i took the heel lift out.

I also play Inline in summer with CCM skates :smile:

What i did, 1-2 years ago, was, I took the 5mm heel lift pads out of the Easton S17 and stuffed them into my CCM inlineskates giving me a nearly perfect match (pitch wise) compared to the S17.

So, the question i have now, how big is the difference from a S17 skate with and without these 5mm heel lift pads to a Mako skate ??

quick question: gonna home-bake tonight since I trust me more than some rinks. How long do I have to wait to skate after baking? I know with my bauer its 24hours - just wondering if easton is different.

The MLX guys said that once the skate was cool, you could skate on it. Easton has not come out and said anything like that, but I think its safe to say that if the skate is completely cooled down, go for it. Throw them in front of a fan for a slightly quicker cooling effect.

Zach

Since so much of the skate is moldable and they bake longer than other skates, I'd wait the 24 hours to be safe. No sense taking the chance of damaging something.

I realize during some of the demos they bake and skate immediately, but those are also not skates that people are going to need to live with for the long term and they're considered basically disposable.

I'd wait. What's one more day just to make sure?

Waiting until tomorrow then. How about re-baking? I baked both skates, and put in the freezer for 20 mins. Im letting them get back up to room temp now, and Im gonna try them on to see how my bake job came out. If I need to rebake do i need to wait until tomorrow?

How pliable were the skates after you baked them?

How long did you keep them on for?

Were they completely cooled down before taking them off?

If done correctly, you wouldn't have any need to immediately re-bake them. Better off waiting until you skate in them and see how they feel, and see whether or not you have any hot spots and go from there.

How pliable were the skates after you baked them?

How long did you keep them on for?

Were they completely cooled down before taking them off?

If done correctly, you wouldn't have any need to immediately re-bake them. Better off waiting until you skate in them and see how they feel, and see whether or not you have any hot spots and go from there.

Before baking they were super stiff - could barely get my foot in before baking because the sides were so close together.

Afterwards, they were more pliable - enough to get my foot in and try to form - but nothing like I saw in the mako skate fitting video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRdaS3-5eMw I baked them for 6-7 mins each on ~200 degrees, wore on my feet for about 16-17 mins until completely cool, and afterwards put in the freezer for 20 mins.

The fit right now is OK, but I know if I tried to skate in them my feet would end up killing me. I tried wearing them around the house, and my feet were done after about a half hour.

I had the same issue with my Vapors, and ended up having to skate in them for about a month or two, and re-bake to get them to feel good. The only way I can describe it was a "whole foot cramp", and it felt just tight all over. I would never be able to get the correct tightness of the laces - but I later found out it was just that the boot needed to be broken in more.

Im contemplating baking them again tonight. Im pretty sure Im gonna have to eventually, so why wait. I also want to try to get a little more heel lock, so I might try doing what they do at 1:30 of the video above.

All in all though, the toe box and bottom part of the skate are a much better fit for me than the vapors. There is Zero negative space in the boot, without any cramming of any part of my foot. After taking off my vapors, it would sometimes look like my pinky toe and big toe were completely demolished and numb from the toe box.

I'd skate in then abd see how the feel. If need a 2nd bake, then do it. But bake them longer per the instructions. Most Mako boxes either said 10 minutes or 16 minutes. I did my first bake at 10 and then after a few skates rebaked but for about 12-14 minutes.

I'd skate in then abd see how the feel. If need a 2nd bake, then do it. But bake them longer per the instructions. Most Mako boxes either said 10 minutes or 16 minutes. I did my first bake at 10 and then after a few skates rebaked but for about 12-14 minutes.

I was just going by the video from Easton's youtube. I had my oven set at 200, but my thermometer was reading a little higher. The video said 10 mins for Easton ovens, and 6 mins for anything else (which is kinda dumb), so I did about 6-7 mins in my oven.

Did you do yours at home or at a hockey shop? I think you're right though, I did the same thing with my vapors - which is what finally made them feel good. I just dont wanna go too hot or too long. I didn't feel as bad pushing it with the vapors because they werent nearly as expensive/nice as these.

For those interested in these skates. Hockey Giant has them for $500 plus a 15% off in a lot of sizes. Almost considered buying another pair.

I was just going by the video from Easton's youtube. I had my oven set at 200, but my thermometer was reading a little higher. The video said 10 mins for Easton ovens, and 6 mins for anything else (which is kinda dumb), so I did about 6-7 mins in my oven.

Did you do yours at home or at a hockey shop? I think you're right though, I did the same thing with my vapors - which is what finally made them feel good. I just dont wanna go too hot or too long. I didn't feel as bad pushing it with the vapors because they werent nearly as expensive/nice as these.

I did mine at a hockey shop since I bought them there. It was a Bauer oven.

It's funny to me that they give him a new pair of skates every Fantasy Camp. He skates once a year, only during his camp, he barely has enough time to break them in! :tongue:

For those interested in these skates. Hockey Giant has them for $500 plus a 15% off in a lot of sizes. Almost considered buying another pair.

They will have the same deal at this time next year, for the Mako II ;)

I love my Makos as well, but I expect them to last me 5 years, so no sense getting a backup pair when I figure I can hold out for the upgrade, and then just make the ones I am using, my backup.