Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Don't count on the 25% on clearance Mako's. I tried during the July 4th and it wouldn't let me use the %25 coupon on the $459 (or whatever it was at that time) Mako. I also tried Total Hockey (they had a similar coupon at the time) and it wouldn't let me either. So it must have had MAP pricing even at the clearance price.

Icewarehouse is your friend in that case :)

I wouldn't count on a Mako II clearance in summer 2015. You may have to wait until the summer of 2016. Most skate lines last two years - I think the fact that the original Mako lasted only a year was an exception and Easton will wait until 2016 to launch a new model. I know Easton hasn't always stuck to the 2 year rule of thumb, but that's a good general guideline.

I've been considering jumping on some original clearance Mako's myself, however; I do have a pair of Kor Shift 2's I've only used a couple times for ice, another pair that's more beat up for roller and two new in the box in the closet. I think I'll have to use one of those two pair from the closet as a roller conversion in the next year or so. The ones I'm using for ice may last longer, however; I've been on the ice a lot the past couple years refereeing so I may need Makos before 2016.

I like the look of the new Mako II better, plus the fact that they addressed the ankle issues and changed material to make them more durable makes them more appealing. The $399 price (before a 20% discount code that you can apply to bring them down to $320) on Hockeysupremacy with free shipping in Canada is making me seriously consider the originals though. I'm trying to resist the temptation as I think I can get my Kor supply to last until 2016, but can't be certain. If Easton had showed up on SJ and I'd demoed the Makos and felt they were more comfortable or performed better than my KORs I may have pulled the trigger sooner...so I guess it's good in a way that they couldn't make it as it saved me some cash.

I also noticed my top of the ankles were hurting a bit when turning from the side of the skates digging into them. I like to have my top few eyelets nice and tight so this could be causing this.

That's your problem right there. Don't crank down on the laces at the top.

The problem is that the skates didn't mold close enough on the top few eyelets. Then what happens is when he cranks on his laces to tie them the top of the boot folds over and digs into his ankle. He has to make sure that the top 2-3 eyelets are all going to wrap the same or he will always have the problem.

The problem is that the skates didn't mold close enough on the top few eyelets. Then what happens is when he cranks on his laces to tie them the top of the boot folds over and digs into his ankle. He has to make sure that the top 2-3 eyelets are all going to wrap the same or he will always have the problem.

Lace outside to in on those top eyelets and you don't need to have the boot fold over.

Thanks for the tips about the Mako II clearance issues. Well if that is the case (that it will be so long until Mako IIs get their price drop), then I may just be in my 0.5 size too big Makos for another year and a half or so, provided they hold up. I have the Mako bump issue pretty well solved, do not really mind the color, and the comfort is just heavenly (with the ankle pads to keep the Mako bumps at bay). The biggest issue for me is that I am having my agility rating being massively underminded. In NHL 14 terms, with size 10.0 EE Mako IIs, my Agility rating is about an 82. With my 10.5 EE Mako I's, my Agility rating is about a 57. "Foot eye coordination" is taking an even bigger beating. With the properly sized Mako II's, I kick the puck to my stick so effortlessly; but with the too big Mako Is, I often feel apprehensive to even kick the puck, for fear I will just lose my footing and land on my butt. As long as I am not getting paid to play or sponsoered and thus not getting free gear, I think that the responsible thing to do is wait. Not that I have ever been known for being responsible lol.

Easton is kind of a wild card when it comes to skate releases. Most other companies like CCM, Bauer ect. have 2 year cycles for skates. I believe the original Mako was only replaced after a year because of the ankle and durability issues some people had and that had it not been for those they wouldn't have been replaced with the Mako II until next year. The other factor with Easton is the ownership issue - when the hockey department is finally sold who knows if the new owners will continue on with the current lineup or not. Having said that, I think the Mako II's being cleared out in 2016 is probably the most likely scenario. There's a possibility it could be sooner though.

If you know a 10EE Mako is a better fit for you, have a handle on the ankle issues, and don't mind the colour then I would grab the original Mako's in a 10EE on clearance for the prices they're going for and sell the 10.5EE's for whatever you can get (probably around $200 since people would need a significant price savings in order to consider used with no warranty vs. new at the clearance prices). Then when the Mako II's go on clearance you can grab a pair of those and keep the original Mako's as backups or convert them to roller ect.

Update of my Mako 2's:

I forgot to mention in my original post that when I went to the store to pick them up and get them heated for the first time I noticed that the left skate on the outside had the white felt from the tongue showing through and where it was stitched it wasn't tight like on the right side (have a pic, but don't know how to post it). So the Manager of the LHS said he would order some new skates and I could wear these until the other ones come in. So I went to pick up my new ones last Saturday and exchange my first pair. After heating them up I had them on for 20 minutes and my right foot was feeling numb, so this wasn't good. So when I got home later on that night I decided to try them on again and had them on for 2 hrs trying to break them in more as I had a game the next day. My right foot was numb again when wearing them around the basement. After I took them off my right foot hurt for 2 hrs afterwards. It was like the right skate was a bit smaller in length. My size is 10.5EE. So I checked the foot bed to see if they got mixed up in the factory but they both said 10.5EE, so proper size. Maybe the right skate is just a tad smaller than the left. I never had any problems with my first pair with fitting or soreness for length or width. So I played a game on Sunday night in them and they worked fine. I didn't feel any numbness while playing, but after the game was over was a different story. When I was driving home my right foot was really sore, hurt in the arch area. Then later on that night while hanging out on my computer my achilles tendon was hurting big time. It was sore until the next afternoon on Monday. So not sure what is exactly causing that, must be cause the right skate is just a tad too small. So to say I'm a little frustrated with the Mako 2 is an understatement. I had problems with the first pair with the ankle cuts and pain and now problems with the 2nd pair with the right one being too small. I forgot to mention that I picked up a pair of Malleolar sleeves and some Reebok 20K protection socks to avoid the cuts and pain again. So I used them on Sunday with the 2nd pair of Makos and I had absolutely no pain with them on. Not sure if it was cause of the sleeves or maybe since they were just a new pair of Mako 2's and didn't suffer that from the comfort padding by the ankle. I also noticed on the right skate that the inside liner wasn't completely bonded to the skate and loose inside down by the heel-lock. Anyway one else have this problem? I just think the quality control from Easton is severely lacking as both of my skates had problems with them. I'm supposed to go the LHS store today and talk with the manager today to see what to do. Probably going to switch back to my original pair as they still have them. Not really a good solution but not sure what else to do. I guess I should have gone with the VH skates with the CXN holder like Affton did.

Edited by SpideyDiG

This is purely speculative, but I wonder if Makos are having a similar experience as other technology with early bugginess with each new model. Meaning that, the first batch is buggy, and then it takes awhile to get the kinks out. I heard all kinds of stories of the Mako 1s falling apart, liners coming out, skates degrading quickly, etc. I got my Mako 1 skates from a late batch of them (bought in December 2013), and mine are holding up beautifully, despite playing in as hot and humid an environment as I could find (right on the equator). Granted, I do keep my skates in my bedroom, where the A/C is running always when I am home, but still, the skates are golden (aside from Mako bump issues which I mitigte with gel ankle sleeves).

So, I wonder if the same is happening with Mako 2- an apparent QC strategy of just seeing what is messed up, and then adjusting the machines at the factory as necessary for versions Mako 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3, etc. Again, purely speculative, but part of the reason I am holding out to buy my Mako 2s; I will buy them when they go on clearance (this summer or next, whenever it may be), and hopefully get another pair of skates from a nice® batch, where these issues have been worked out.

Update of my Mako 2's:

I forgot to mention in my original post that when I went to the store to pick them up and get them heated for the first time I noticed that the left skate on the outside had the white felt from the tongue showing through and where it was stitched it wasn't tight like on the right side (have a pic, but don't know how to post it). So the Manager of the LHS said he would order some new skates and I could wear these until the other ones come in. So I went to pick up my new ones last Saturday and exchange my first pair. After heating them up I had them on for 20 minutes and my right foot was feeling numb, so this wasn't good. So when I got home later on that night I decided to try them on again and had them on for 2 hrs trying to break them in more as I had a game the next day. My right foot was numb again when wearing them around the basement. After I took them off my right foot hurt for 2 hrs afterwards. It was like the right skate was a bit smaller in length. My size is 10.5EE. So I checked the foot bed to see if they got mixed up in the factory but they both said 10.5EE, so proper size. Maybe the right skate is just a tad smaller than the left. I never had any problems with my first pair with fitting or soreness for length or width. So I played a game on Sunday night in them and they worked fine. I didn't feel any numbness while playing, but after the game was over was a different story. When I was driving home my right foot was really sore, hurt in the arch area. Then later on that night while hanging out on my computer my achilles tendon was hurting big time. It was sore until the next afternoon on Monday. So not sure what is exactly causing that, must be cause the right skate is just a tad too small. So to say I'm a little frustrated with the Mako 2 is an understatement. I had problems with the first pair with the ankle cuts and pain and now problems with the 2nd pair with the right one being too small. I forgot to mention that I picked up a pair of Malleolar sleeves and some Reebok 20K protection socks to avoid the cuts and pain again. So I used them on Sunday with the 2nd pair of Makos and I had absolutely no pain with them on. Not sure if it was cause of the sleeves or maybe since they were just a new pair of Mako 2's and didn't suffer that from the comfort padding by the ankle. I also noticed on the right skate that the inside liner wasn't completely bonded to the skate and loose inside down by the heel-lock. Anyway one else have this problem? I just think the quality control from Easton is severely lacking as both of my skates had problems with them. I'm supposed to go the LHS store today and talk with the manager today to see what to do. Probably going to switch back to my original pair as they still have them. Not really a good solution but not sure what else to do. I guess I should have gone with the VH skates with the CXN holder like Affton did.

Unless I'm mistaken, the liner you're referring to -- is this the footbed? That shouldn't be bonded to the skate and is replaceable or upgradable. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding you though.

Update of my Mako 2's:

Probably going to switch back to my original pair as they still have them. Not really a good solution but not sure what else to do. I guess I should have gone with the VH skates with the CXN holder like Affton did.

I was so close to buying Mako 2, but they only had the one display skate in my size at the store. I ordered the custom VH Skates with the CXN holder, about 3 days after Affton. I'm actually at a point where I'm pretty well adjusted to my Mako I. The rubbing issue is rare now, it usually only happens if i play multiple games. I wear the bunga pads, and I use skate fenders (UGLY) and so i'm well protected.

I can't wait til the VH skates get here so I can try them out! But i'll obviously keep my Mako I as a backup.

I went to the LHS store this afternoon and got like my 1st and 2nd right skate reheated. I told the Manager my concerns and he spent a hr with me. I couldn't make up my mind which right skate was a better fit so the Manager suggested taking both pairs of skates home and trying them all to make the best two skates out of the four. So I will play some pickup on Friday to try one pair out. Hopefully the one right skate opened up some more and won't cause my foot to be sore anymore.

Salisbury, I was talking about the inner liner of the skate back by the heel lock area. Not the foot beds as I know u can change them to something else. I just looked at my first pair of skates and they do the same thing with the liner, so I guess it's normal.

Edited by SpideyDiG
  • Like 1

Sure, except MLX was the "first batch" of Makos.

Not really, if you follow his reasoning. He's thinking out loud about different production cycles of the same version of a particular skate model, where a batch of Mako I is not in the same set as a batch of Mako II: he is just comparing batches of Mako I to other batches of Mako I, and batches of Mako II to other batches of Mako II. Since MLX were not made by the same people in the same facilities, and also vary significantly materially from the Mako I, they aren't even the same product.

• Like 6

I'm getting the clicking thing with my blades when I walk. Tried everything to fix it. Sometimes worse than others. I can actually feel it move down a little when I pick my foot up. Blades make weird squeal when I turn fast, tight. Should I worry it?

I'm getting the clicking thing with my blades when I walk. Tried everything to fix it. Sometimes worse than others. I can actually feel it move down a little when I pick my foot up. Blades make weird squeal when I turn fast, tight. Should I worry it?

I can almost confirm that the clicking is the blade and not the holders. A few pages back, someone mentioned the clicking might be the rivets or composite or something. I mounted a cxn on a pair of vapors, and the holder is TIGHT, but I still get clicking. I dont notice it when im on the ice though, and I dont think its going to break, so I dont really worry about it.

Mine started making a slight clicking noise when the composite started separating from the toe cap. That's what caused me to notice the separation... trying to figure out what was making the clicking noise.

having difficulties with my Mako 2's and I might be selling them soon. I'm having issues with the wrap and circulation in my feet, I had them fitted all seemed well but I was having an issues with numbness when skating. when I crank them down to feel the support I need I lose circulation when I keep them loose I feel like they are too loose and have actually tweaked my ankle twice (which I've never done in any other skate) trying to figure out if I'm used to a stiffer skate (total ones, and APX) and the softer boot it just making me feel unstable. I missed the 30 day return policy by a couple days, waiting to hear back from a rep hoping he can help me out.

I'm pretty bummed about it. I have one crap ankle and thats the one I'm having issues with, I don't want to have to wear a brace under my boot if I don't have to.

I'm pretty bummed about it. I have one crap ankle and thats the one I'm having issues with, I don't want to have to wear a brace under my boot if I don't have to.

Nick,

Are you having circulation problems in both feet? As I had problem with my 2nd pair of Mako 2's with the right skate feeling numb when I was wearing it around the house trying to break it in. When I skated on it the next day it was fine during the game, but afterwards the right foot was really sore and achilles tendon was sore as well. I've since had the right one reheat molded but haven't had a chance to try it yet on the ice to see if the problem is gone. I have like 2 pairs of Mako 2's right now and I'm going to make the best 2 skates out of the 4 and return the ones I'm not using. Yes it's a pain but I do still really like the skate. If you don't think the Mako 2's are for you I would suggest looking at the VH skate. I will be looking to buy them if I don't like my Makos after I have them properly worked in.

Edited by SpideyDiG

yeah losing circulation in both feet, I'm losing it in 3 little toes on both feet. I'm playing tomorrow so I'll be trying to tie them looser and see how they feel. I'll be bringing my total ones as well

Well, if you have ankle issues, the Mako may not be the skate for you. It is pretty easy to cut off the circulation with these skates because of the excellent wrap. So, the key is to tie them looser. Since you seem to want to tie tight for ankle stability, you should tie the lower eyelets loose, then tighten the top two. I just got a new pair of Mako IIs to replace my originals and with the new bake, the first time I wore them, my feet went numb in about 10 min. I loosened them up on the bench and it was better. The next time I went looser and they were fine. They'll likely open up a bit over time so that it will be less of an issue, but the Makos are definitely more finicky to get right (at least for me) and that's what's great about them. You can fine tune them to perfection. Just need to be able to remember how you got it right.

Still, the ankle is low on the Mako and they may just not work for you.

Still, the ankle is low on the Mako and they may just not work for you.

This... I really wanted to love the Mako skates. They were the best fitting/feeling boot that I have put on my feet. However, when it came down to it, there just was not enough support around my ankles. My feet were coming out from under me on turns and cuts that I normally had no problems with. The final straw, for me, came when I made a turn next to the wall and my feet were just gone. I fell, blade of my stick was against the boards, butt end almost impaled me, stick exploded into three pieces (Thank goodness). I had a bruise on my ribs the next day that lasted almost two weeks. Those skates got sold a few days later.