Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

i got it for reasons: too much forward lean, people not sharpening/profiling the skate properly because of the lean so too much toe being taken off, constant noise when stepping on the skate even after tightening the bolts, and i wasn't impressed with the steel all that much.

But no go on the sunday. apparently the rivets are too big that come with the bauer holder, they needed to order a really small sized rivet?

Hopefully jimmy can shed some light on that.

i just looked at the steel very carefully and this is in fact think my son's problem...the toe is very rockered now

ty smcgreg for pointing me in this direction

Edited by ulf

i just looked at the steel very carefully and this is in fact think my son's problem...the toe is very rockered now

No worries, glad to help. My son actually had his first game Thur after I had them profiled and it was incredible. I don't think he fell once. Granted, he dives to block shots a lot, but much more stable and his game was better all around. Noticeably faster as well, winning several puck races and going on two breakaways out of his own zone. So noticeable that other parents asked me what I did that changed his performance.

I hope it solves your problem as well.

I have six skates on my Mako IIs now. Still really impressed with the performance. Balance and going from edge to edge feels amazing. Turning feels effortless, tons of confidence to dig in hard. Comfort is great now, the arch pain I experienced during the first couple of skates is nonexistant. The shape of the boot seems to encourage me to keep my weight more laterally neutral over the middle of the skate, whereas previously I tended to cheat to the inside edges in other skates.

Only complaint is that I've noticed both holders are already loose at the front towers. One is quite loose, it shifts side to side a fair bit when you press on it. Both of the rears feel solid. I had intended to get an extra copper rivet or two put into the fronts when I bought them but forgot before leaving the store. So I'll have to head back this week and get that addressed, hopefully they'll hold up better. I'm a fairly heavy guy (~225 lbs) but I can't see that being normal for this level of skate. I know other people have mentioned having this same proble though.

Yes, the Mako I experience was horrible for me. After I got the new Mako II's first thing i did was send my steel into Noicing for a profile. I kept the pitch the same. It was amazing. The pitch of the skate isn't the problem really, i love it. It was when i went to get them profiled and sharpened by someone that never saw the skate (and probably wasn't good to begin with) they killed them, especially the toe. It was a nightmare.

All good now though. Love these skates, holder, steel, pitch and all.

Edited by DigiV

Question for any Mako II owners here, and the community in general:

Saw on eBay last, pair of never been used Mako II's going for $450. Catch was, there was no warranty because apparently (not sure if true) the original owner sold them to this seller, and the warranty is only valid to the original purchaser. It seems like a great deal, but after seeing all the issues the Mako I had, I worry that this would just be a waste of $450 if anything went wrong.

Also, to the user above.... Are the Mako's any "harder" to sharpen or something? My buddy currently does my skates now and I trust him, but I know he's never sharpened Mako's before. Is there something different one would need to do when sharpening?

Edited by z1ggy

Nothing special as in.. the eBay deal is nothing special, or sharpening them is no different than any other skate? If so, how was the sharpener screwing them up that badly..

I destroyed my first makos after 40 some games, and received my warranty pair.......Mako 1's again and they just blew up as well. 10 games on those ones. I send these back to Easton and I am told I am getting another pair of Mako 1's as that is their policy. Has anyone received the Mako 2's under warranty for the 1's?

This is really starting piss me off. I had to go and put new blades on the old grafs just to keep playing.

If Mako 1's actually show up, I will sell them and be done with Easton.

Will go back to Graf or even give Bauer a try again.

Very frustrating

Nothing special as in.. the eBay deal is nothing special, or sharpening them is no different than any other skate? If so, how was the sharpener screwing them up that badly..

Sharpening is nothing special. And I dunno how he was screwing them up. IMO the ebay deal is a no-brainer, but I've also had my Makos for over a year with not a single issue so its easy for me to say that.

What size? :)

Curious, for about the same price would you guys prefer last years Mako on sale, or this years Mako M8? I don't think I have the need to go to the full Mako II at my level.

Edited by OptimusReim

Also, curious to people who used to skate on Tuuks.. How much different did the pitch feel? And how long did it take you to get used to it? And now that you've skated both, which do you prefer?

Also, curious to people who used to skate on Tuuks.. How much different did the pitch feel? And how long did it take you to get used to it? And now that you've skated both, which do you prefer?

I went from Total Ones to Mako.... big difference. The Total Ones are a "negative 1" pitch I believe and the Makos are a "plus 3 pitch". (in quotes, because the industry varies on the nomenclature). That's about as extreme a difference as I think you can go in over the counter skates. It took quite a while for me to get used to, but I'm old (47 yr), so, that might have been part of it. I'm still toying with the idea dialing it back a bit and going to a "plus 2 pitch" just because, although pretty much adapted skating, I still feel like in board battles and while standing and not skating, that I'm somewhat off balance. In other words, it doesn't bother me when skating and I actually like it, but there are lots of times in a game that I'm not actually skating and don't have momentum and at those times, I feel pitched forward a tad too much.

Really, the only way for you to know though, it to try them. All the aforementioned being said, I will never, ever go back to Total ONes (or NXG or whatever the latest model is), I've done it a couple times and it's like wearing a friggin brick on my feet.

As well, I know several younger guys who have made the switch and adapted quite quickly.

I destroyed my first makos after 40 some games, and received my warranty pair.......Mako 1's again and they just blew up as well. 10 games on those ones. I send these back to Easton and I am told I am getting another pair of Mako 1's as that is their policy. Has anyone received the Mako 2's under warranty for the 1's?

This is really starting piss me off. I had to go and put new blades on the old grafs just to keep playing.

Will go back to Graf or even give Bauer a try again.

Very frustrating

I had my I's warrantied in Aug and replaced with II's. It was my impression there were no more I's available. The II is a nicer skate to be sure. Probably worth a try, but I can understand your frustration if you get I's again.

Really, negative....?? From what I'd seen from another user here, the Tuuk blade with LS2 steel was basically "neutral", but all that really means is that it had the least aggressive angle of attack of any of the holder + runner combo's. The pitch was still such that it placed you forward a bit. But heck I could be wrong.

Really, negative....?? From what I'd seen from another user here, the Tuuk blade with LS2 steel was basically "neutral", but all that really means is that it had the least aggressive angle of attack of any of the holder + runner combo's. The pitch was still such that it placed you forward a bit. But heck I could be wrong.

I'm sure one of the gurus generally knowledgable about such things will chime in and correct me, but that was my understanding, negative pitch for total ones.

anyone had difficulty doing forward to backward transitions with a forward pitched skate like makos or grafs? Where catch the heel of the runner and get tossed down

anyone had difficulty doing forward to backward transitions with a forward pitched skate like makos or grafs? Where catch the heel of the runner and get tossed down

Never happened to me, but that really wouldn't be a function of the pitch. It sounds like you're used to a shorter profile, I used to see that a lot with people switching to Graf.

Think I used wrong terminology. I mean when when skating forwards and then reversing into backward crossovers but still going in same direction. Like when a forward skates toward the boards and then opens up to face the play and is now going backwards. Its that open up where feels like catching the heel due to the pitch angle.

I noticed that when I first got them. Not super often but every now and then I would be doing a quick transition from forwards to backwards and i would catch an edge at the heel. It was really weird because whenever it would happen it would be like "where the hell did that come from?" I haven't really felt it on my VH skates (with CXN holders) at all. I think the extra stiffness in the VHs allows me to "power through" that little bit of an edge catch a little better than the Makos did. Maybe that or I have just gotten used to it.

The blackedge website says you can get "custom" runners done. I don't know how much it costs though.

Any chance you have further info regarding these? I've contacted them with no answer. Jimmy? Anyone else?