Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

sparky1, any appreciable weight gain after the conversion?

I have not had a chance to skate on them yet, but the hardware itself is likely the same weight.

I don't have any of the rivets to weigh, but I can weigh 1 full piece of the hardware (nut, bolt & washer) when I get home to let you know how much it weighs.

I think we have come to a consensus around here that the Mako pitch is about +3 (as set on profiling equipment... 3/32nds). Some of that is from the holder and some of that is from the blade (a guy who "measured" it for me by using the profiling equipment puts it at around +1.5 contribution from the blade). The profiling equipment rotates the skate about (around) the CENTER point of the skate uniformly regardless of the size of the skate (the distance of the "actuator" of the rotation from the center of the skate does not vary from skate to skate). So if the Edge holder/blade combination is neutral (I have no idea if this is the case) you would need to have a profiler put a +3 on your edge holder blades. A heel shim on the other hand rotates the skate about the TOE of the skate from the heel. Not only does this distance depend on the size of the skate, assuming that you only have a contact point at the front set of rivets and the rear set of rivets, the distance would be AT LEAST twice that of the profiling equipment. Now this is probably an invalid assumption, because all of the rivets are in fact in contact (probably the boot bends a little and the holder bends a little) so I don't know what that does to the math. I would think that a good starting point (assuming that the edge holder/blade is neutral) would be to use a shim around 3/32nds. If it didn't feel like you were quite there, add a little more. If you have reason to believe that the edge holder/blade is not neutral and already has a bit of forward pitch, maybe start with 2/32nds and go up from there. Since you now have tee nuts instead of rivets, you are in an ideal position to exercise trial and error. I have never profiled a pair of skates or used shims in my life though... so I could be all wet.

BTW, I have had CXN holders for two or three years and I haven't cracked one yet playing 3 or 4 nights a week and blocking a lot of shots.

You are correct. I was thinking of the holder only, knowing that the LS4 runner is ~+1, but forgetting he would be using the Edge runners. So, 3/32 would be closer the Mako set up than 1/16.

Regarding the shims, yes, you are also correct. I added the t-nuts on mine specifically to shim laterally as opposed to vertically, but the same principle applies and I can add/remove shims before each ice session in a matter of a few minutes. Can even do it within a game if need be, if I overdid the shims beforehand. Very nice system for tweaking the set up.

So I was able to skate in them for the first time yesterday.

No noticeable weight difference, or different balance points on the skates.

I felt like I was skating way better, i'm not sure if it is because there was very little flex in the connection between the boot and the holder now, or what.

It definitely felt like there was way more bite in each stride I took.

I wonder if Bauer Vertexx goalie cowlings would line up with the holes without having to drill new holes (and if I do, does drilling new holes affect the skates in a noticeably negative way?)

So I was able to skate in them for the first time yesterday.

No noticeable weight difference, or different balance points on the skates.

I felt like I was skating way better, i'm not sure if it is because there was very little flex in the connection between the boot and the holder now, or what.

It definitely felt like there was way more bite in each stride I took.

So, was this with the Bauer holders? Shims, or standard pitch?

So, was this with the Bauer holders? Shims, or standard pitch?

no, sorry, this was with the standard CXN holders & stock pitch and everything.

I haven't actually gotten my hands on a pair of Bauer holders/steel yet to try this combo out on.

I wonder if Bauer Vertexx goalie cowlings would line up with the holes without having to drill new holes (and if I do, does drilling new holes affect the skates in a noticeably negative way?)

not sure about the vertexx cowlings, but there's a lot of posts about others converting their mako's to goalie skates by removing the extendon guard & mounting them in a pair of goalie cowlings.

http://goaliestore.com/board/forum/equipment/equipment-forum/107534-my-easton-mako-mlx-goal-skates

no, sorry, this was with the standard CXN holders & stock pitch and everything.

I haven't actually gotten my hands on a pair of Bauer holders/steel yet to try this combo out on.

not sure about the vertexx cowlings, but there's a lot of posts about others converting their mako's to goalie skates by removing the extendon guard & mounting them in a pair of goalie cowlings.

http://goaliestore.com/board/forum/equipment/equipment-forum/107534-my-easton-mako-mlx-goal-skates

Yup, have seen that thread. I have a spare pair of Makos sitting here waiting for conversion, just don't want to cannibalize my (currently working out for me) Reactors and hard to justify $150 for new cowlings if I'm not going to end up being happy with the Makos for goalie skates. I also find them hard to get on when the tendon guard is removed.

You are correct. I was thinking of the holder only, knowing that the LS4 runner is ~+1, but forgetting he would be using the Edge runners. So, 3/32 would be closer the Mako set up than 1/16.

Regarding the shims, yes, you are also correct. I added the t-nuts on mine specifically to shim laterally as opposed to vertically, but the same principle applies and I can add/remove shims before each ice session in a matter of a few minutes. Can even do it within a game if need be, if I overdid the shims beforehand. Very nice system for tweaking the set up.

So I was able to measure roughly the holder height on my friends supreme 170's that use the LS edge holder.

it's 70mm roughly on the rear tower & 55mm on the front tower roughly.

so I need an extra 5mm to have the rear tower be the same as the CXN & the front tower is roughly the same.

I think my ankle bones are too far back; my lateral malleolus on both sides, but especially the left side, bumps into the V groove where the tendon guard and boot meet. It's very uncomfortable when I dorsiflex and internally rotate my foot. Does anyone know or has anyone attempted to punch that spot? It doesn't seem like a spot that would be able to be punched though...

I went today and tried on the Mako 2 skates. Pretty much went to the pro shop with it in my head that I was going to buy the Makos. Put them on and they initially felt like slippers. However, I stood up and could not get over the feeling that my feet were being squeezed in the arches. The kid sizing me said that even after baking that particular area would not open up. He heated them up for me anyway, and I tried them back on and wore them for roughly 15 minutes. I still had that somewhat uncomfortable feeling in my arches. Which I thought was really weird because the rest of the skate felt great around my foot. Coming out of another pair of ill fitting skates I just didn't want to take the risk. I went with Bauer MX3s instead. Has that been a complaint among other people trying on the Makos for the first time? I thought it was supposed to be a fully moldable 3d shaped boot?

I went today and tried on the Mako 2 skates. Pretty much went to the pro shop with it in my head that I was going to buy the Makos. Put them on and they initially felt like slippers. However, I stood up and could not get over the feeling that my feet were being squeezed in the arches. The kid sizing me said that even after baking that particular area would not open up. He heated them up for me anyway, and I tried them back on and wore them for roughly 15 minutes. I still had that somewhat uncomfortable feeling in my arches. Which I thought was really weird because the rest of the skate felt great around my foot. Coming out of another pair of ill fitting skates I just didn't want to take the risk. I went with Bauer MX3s instead. Has that been a complaint among other people trying on the Makos for the first time? I thought it was supposed to be a fully moldable 3d shaped boot?

You can spot heat the arches and push them down.

As Optimus said you can spot heat that area, and eliminate any arch pain. I know, because I had to do it on my Mako 2's. Skate felt comfortable everywhere else, but the arches killed me.Couldn't skate more than 15-20 minutes without being in agony. Broke out the heat gun, and pain is now completely gone.

Do you have flat feet? Makos and Mako II seem to be made for foot with healthy arch (which I have). I imagine that a flat foot might have problems in that arch area. I love my Mako IIs, can skate all day in them, as I could do with my original Makos (as long as I wore the ankle sleeve for the chafing). I actually felt good too in MX3, even though Supreme seems to traditionally be made for flatter foot.

This is going to leave me wondering now. I do not have flat feet. The skates in general felt great but I couldn't get past the pressure I felt in my arches. The kid at Total Hockey (who actually seemed reasonably knowledgeable) said that the skate would not be moldable in that area. Not sure why I didn't think to google that while I was sitting in the store because the first thing I saw when I did Google Mako Arch Pain was a video explaining exactly how to fix this problem. Kind of a shame because I was pretty much sold on getting the Makos. Too late now anyway, I had the MX3s baked and sharpened which pretty much means I'm stuck with them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with the Bauers, seems like an excellent skate, but it does leave me wondering whether or not those Makos would have made a difference in my skating.

if the skates still look brand new some stores will take them back and just grind off the edges.

DISCLAIMER: they aren't by any means required to so you should expect them to say no but it can't hurt to ask

RonickFan, I am a big proponent of the Makos, but don't sweat it, you got a heck of a skate in the MX3...

Edited by chrisg19

Roenickfan-

I have fairly flat feet as well. First time I skated in my Mako's I had the standard footbed in. Felt the arch pain. Switched them out for super feet, and the pain went away. He's right though, you really can't mold the bottom of the skate much, nor would I even want to try. However, the skate is EXTREMELY moldable in almost every other spot.

I have an extra large and bumpy 5th metatarsal bone, but relatively narrow feet. I managed to punch the boot out just fine by heating it with my heat gun, and using a home build punch I made. I also heated up the heel area and pressed it in very firmly with my hands for a few minutes and got a better heel lock, too.

I must say, these skates are light years better than my old Vapor XXV's. I didn't think they would be that much better, but I was wrong. For me, the incredibly molded fit, plus the steel are the two best feautures. I have been playing 3-4 times a week now since November when I got them, and I haven't gotten them sharped since the initial sharpening. There are a couple dull spots here or there, probably from chipping the steel on other skates, etc, but I see no need to sharpen any time soon.

He's right though, you really can't mold the bottom of the skate much, nor would I even want to try.

The arch area is absolutely heat moldable. There's even a video on how to do it on YouTube.

Link to this please?

It's seems to be totally carbon fiber, which is pretty brittle. I wouldn't mess with it personally. I've molded the upper, and the upper heel area, but the outsole is extremely stiff.

I'm curious as to how it's done.

Link to this please?

It's seems to be totally carbon fiber, which is pretty brittle. I wouldn't mess with it personally. I've molded the upper, and the upper heel area, but the outsole is extremely stiff.

I'm curious as to how it's done.

Wasn't talking about the outsole, I'm talking about the arch area.

It's not the Carbon fiber outsole that is the area that needs to be heated, but the heat moldable Quarters where the arch meets the skate. See the link to the video below at the 1:14 mark, it deals with pain in the arch. That's exactly how I did mine, and they went from excruciating to very comfy. Carbon Fibre itself does not move much, if at all when heated.

http://eastonhockey.com/videos/mako-skate-fitting/

Yeah, I think what I'm going to do is have my MX3s adjust for a little more forward pitch (maybe similar to Grafs?) and then when I find a pair of Makos for cheap I'll bake those and mess around with the fit in the arches. I will say the MX3s fit me great and it's an excellent skate. My only beef would be that seemingly neutral (almost negative) pitch on the skate.