Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Has anyone had luck with narrowing the heel/achilles area, if even a smidge?

I want to try to get back into these and that area on both feet is narrow.

And how did you do it?

And how did you do it?

Yeah I had a same problem.

What I did was use a handy clamp.

Try the way shown on the video below. (3:25~)

I just did this to my MLX. Following Scott Van Horne's recommendation from his video on baking VH boots, I clamped the heel with a quick-grip clamp. I also used a shoe-horn to get my foot in as he recommends earlier in the video.

Because I only bought one clamp, I just baked the skates one at a time.

The feeling when skating when from sloppy as Joes to pretty much ideal. I had been on the fence about this kind of boot over the Graf fit and form I've known and loved for almost 15-years. Now I'm dead set on VH as my next pair when I can afford them.

Edit: ha, craypas71 earlybirded me to it!

Edited by flip12

And how did you do it?

I took to my Mako II's with a heat gun, put on some gloves so that I didn't burn my fingerprints off, then pinched the area right under the removable tendon guard, which is also just about the ankle bones. Definitely worked. Didn't help though when I tried to do the same around the navicular bone.

I actually met Dave Cruickshank, the designer of the Mako 1 & 2, yesterday at my local Hockey Shop. Was fantastic to speak to him for about 20 minutes about the design.. as well as the issues (mako bumps, break down of the tongue leading to lace bite, interior foam break down and rubbing points on the leather / lining transition). He seemed genuinely interested in feedback and making the problems they have in the skate better.. A shout out to http://TheHockeyShop.comin Surrey BC, their service still surprises me :-)

Edited by RickDC

Anyone know if a third will be coming

I thought that I read maybe in the 2015 Catalogue Review section that this is the end of the Mako series.

When I met the designer, he did state that they were in the middle of designing v3 with the feedback gained so far.. larger quarter package, better foam, possibly redesigned tongue and they're working on the "mako bumps" issue by making the top more flared out..

When I met the designer, he did state that they were in the middle of designing v3 with the feedback gained so far.. larger quarter package, better foam, possibly redesigned tongue and they're working on the "mako bumps" issue by making the top more flared out..

That's good news. I am starting to develop Mako bumps again in my Mako 2s. In the Mako 1s, the chafing came on the first skate. Now, the bumps have returned about 85-90 sessions in, same place, a bit different of a presentation though.

They did say that this had been fixed in the v2, but myself and a couple of other people have them again... I actually got a free "upgrade" from v1 to v2 because of the breakdown in foam as well as mako bumps.. They're back for me too.. and whilst I hate the feeling of thicker socks, what I've found that REALLY works is these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wrightsock

They're actually 2 pairs of thin socks in one and have completely cured bumps for me as well as some rubbing areas on my pronounced inner ankles (which have increased bone build-up because of the Mako 1's)..

I cut the bottom out of some ezeefit booties so they were just a simple 2" tall sleeve. Has worked really well.

For a long time I wondered if maybe the boot had broken in a bit so I wouldn't need it anymore. I forgot to wear it one game recently and definitely paid the price.

I still love my Mako skates (compared to every other boot I've ever tried) but if I ever skate out again I'll just be ordering VH since my Makos are a couple years old now.

that sounds great! thanks for the information!

So after playing in my Mako II's for about 2 months the bottom of the monocoque chassis on the left skate has developed a crack

42026BEE-59B6-4BD1-9FB7-C508C0503A45.jpg

Luckily they're still covered under warranty. However, as much as I liked the fit I've switched back to my Supreme One100's and am waiting for a new pair of 190's as my replacement for the Mako II's.

Edited by Anjin-san

Sent my Mako blades off to get a fresh radius etc. and played last night in my old 11Ks. I used to love my 11Ks and it was my first time in them since getting the Makos. HOLY CRAP, it felt like I was trying to step into a rental ski boot or one of those early knock off rollerblades in the hard shell. I felt like I had to work against the boot vs the boot working with me and my balance was all off for a bit (probably a lot of it going back to standard epro blades).

Before the end of the game I had readjusted and was getting around fine but it made me realize and appreciate just how much of a better fit, comfort, and mobility the Makos give me. First time I skated in my Makos it was like a revelation and last night made me realize it all again. I know they're not for everyone, but man, if they ever stop making a Mako style skate I'm gonna have to stock up cause I don't think I want to go back to anything else lol.

• Like 1

So after sending back my Mako 2's with the cracked carbon fiber moncoque chassis I've been trying to transition to a new pair of Supreme 190's. I've always used Supreme's prior to the Makos as they fit my feet well (along with yellow Superfeet).

All I have to say is that I really miss the fit and feel of the Makos. It's to the point that I'm contemplating picking up another pair. Has anyone else had the same problem I had specifically with the Mako 2's? I know that there were such reports with the original Makos, but I thought that was one of the things (the carbon fiber) that was addressed with the Mako 2.

So after sending back my Mako 2's with the cracked carbon fiber moncoque chassis I've been trying to transition to a new pair of Supreme 190's. I've always used Supreme's prior to the Makos as they fit my feet well (along with yellow Superfeet).

All I have to say is that I really miss the fit and feel of the Makos. It's to the point that I'm contemplating picking up another pair. Has anyone else had the same problem I had specifically with the Mako 2's? I know that there were such reports with the original Makos, but I thought that was one of the things (the carbon fiber) that was addressed with the Mako 2.

I've been on Mako IIs for about a year, skating 4+ times per week (sometimes 7+) with no manufacturer defect. I had Mako Is for over a year before that and had them warrantied. I can't imagine trying to go back to Supremes, which I came from. I've put them on a couple times and tried to skate in them just to see and went straight back to the locker room and changed back. I have Supremes converted to inlines and can't skate in them. Now that I've been in Makos for over two years, I'm spoiled and can't imagine going back to a more traditional boot. The only gripe I have with them is that shots hurt. I've hesitated to put my son in them, because he's a defenseman and blocks a lot of shots and I don't want him breaking a foot. For me though, I can step out of the way in beer league or drop in. Still, the ones I don't get out of the way of hurt.

• Like 1

I've been on Mako IIs for about a year, skating 4+ times per week (sometimes 7+) with no manufacturer defect. I had Mako Is for over a year before that and had them warrantied. I can't imagine trying to go back to Supremes, which I came from. I've put them on a couple times and tried to skate in them just to see and went straight back to the locker room and changed back. I have Supremes converted to inlines and can't skate in them. Now that I've been in Makos for over two years, I'm spoiled and can't imagine going back to a more traditional boot. The only gripe I have with them is that shots hurt. I've hesitated to put my son in them, because he's a defenseman and blocks a lot of shots and I don't want him breaking a foot. For me though, I can step out of the way in beer league or drop in. Still, the ones I don't get out of the way of hurt.

Get him a set of shot blockers.

Out of curiosity, what were your first pair of Mako's warrantied for?

Misaligned steel. The padding had broken down quite a bit though, but other than that, no major issues.

To the reps credit, the misalignment was minor and one shop told me they shouldn't be warrantied. Another said they should and pushed for it from the rep. He agreed and I got the IIs. I skate a lot and they're holding up ok. Granted, since I just wrote this, I'm sure they'll start falling apart.... damn... jinxed.

• Like 1

I'm going to try to make the 190's work. I've baked them twice but I've only been on the ice with them 4 times (2 public sessions and 2 games). They're definitely not broken in yet as I'm constantly fiddling with the laces between shifts.