Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Have you ever tried to tell a 10 yr old to wear something like that? Good luck.

I know, we failed a generation that's more concerned about looking cool and being popular, than form, fit, and function.

I know, we failed a generation that's more concerned about looking cool and being popular, than form, fit, and function.

I don't know if it's that bad. It's possibly a part of evolutionary fitness to care about looking cool at that age, or at least not looking dorky. Form, fit, and function are more difficult concepts to wrap around a young brain, or any brain really, but a young one especially. People get there, but usually as they get older and are finally freed from the suffocating confines of that large institution where they see the same faces and power structure every day.

Since this seems to have gotten off track a bit, I'll defend my son, then let it go. I made a glib statement for humor's sake, not wanting to elaborate too much.

So, here goes, ...as for function and all that goes with it, for him, that is the number 1 consideration. I mentioned I held off on trying to have him switch to Makos because of shots, but his skating is exceptional in Vapors and I know he would be very reticent to potentially mess that up. Function is #1 to him and what contributes to that is most important. So, with the shot blockers, I was being a bit glib, but they are a tough sell because they are preventative. What 10 yr old or 11, or 12, etc... believes he is going to be hurt by a shot on the foot. Once he starts taking them to the foot more regularly and they are hard enough to get his attention, then maybe an easier sell. The other part of it though is, I'm sure he would be concerned, in fact, I know he would, about putting anything on his skate that will potentially make him slower or mess up mechanics. Whether or not it would, it doesn't matter if he thinks it would. So, again, that would be a tough part of the sell at this point. I'm sure if he's playing JRs in 8-10 years and taking slapshots to the foot every game, shot blockers may be an attractive option. Heck, next year they're taking slap shots and some of them are pretty good, so, maybe it will be that soon.

He's a level headed kid who doesn't want to look like a dork, but is primarily concerned with playing welll and what will specifcally help that.

• Like 1

Sounds like VH with built in shot blockers would be a more viable option for your boy.

or.. one could subscribe to the old addage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." ;)

Also, I just bought him his first pair of Junior skates. Went from paying $150 for the last year's top of the line to paying $250 for last year's top of the line. Custom VHs is a much more substantial investment, epecially when he likes what he's in. When I considered Makos for him, it was the M8 option. Heck, does VH even have a junior skate? It would be a tough pill to swallow to shell out $800 for a skate that might only be used for 1 yr or less.

• Like 1

Maybe it was just me but when I was a kid the idea of wearing something extra made me feel cool. Like "yea I need these because I block so many shots". But that was also like 20 years ago. Kids these days have to fit in or they get "bullied".

Also, I just bought him his first pair of Junior skates. Went from paying $150 for the last year's top of the line to paying $250 for last year's top of the line. Custom VHs is a much more substantial investment, epecially when he likes what he's in. When I considered Makos for him, it was the M8 option. Heck, does VH even have a junior skate? It would be a tough pill to swallow to shell out $800 for a skate that might only be used for 1 yr or less.

My son is in his last pair of junior sized skates. The last 2 years he's got great deals on higher model current year Vapors. I've already had to tell him that from now on the skate budget is $350/year. He can either get a previous year skate on sale or pay the difference himself if he wants the latest and greatest.

Maybe it was just me but when I was a kid the idea of wearing something extra made me feel cool. Like "yea I need these because I block so many shots". But that was also like 20 years ago. Kids these days have to fit in or they get "bullied".

Kids always got bullied.

That's a good way to put it though. A badge of honor for blocking shots. His home white jersey looks like he's a target in the shooting range with all the black puck marks on it. Against much better teams, when we're pinned in the zone, he's made more saves than the goalies. He likes to show that jersey off. Granted, it would be nice not to get pinned in the zone.....

So, maybe that will be the way to go with it once the time comes.

Just wondering if anyone increased the radius to a 10' or '11'' but kept the stock pitch of +1?

Did it hurt the turning ability at all if so?

Incidentally, when I a new set of runners checked for profile and pitch, my sharpener said one was 9' and the other was 10', BUT WHAT WAS EVEN MORE UNBELIEVABLE, was that one skate was a +1 and the other was a +4!!

So just echoing what so many here say - get your new skates or runners checked for evenness of radius and pitch. Those that just "just get them sharpened out of the box" are doing themselves a disservice. Of course this applies to any skate not just Mako.

Edited by sticktime

My defenseman son wears Mako's and he is 13 so the shots are starting to get hard enough to hurt. I mentioned to him that he might have to switch out of the Mako's when shots start making it to him that are hard enough to hurt. He said "no way!" but I know that's just because he has yet to feel a really hard shot to the foot in any skate much less a Mako. Anyway, I said to him that we could get skate fenders if he didn't want to switch. He has seen me wear them on my Makos (all the time) and on my VHs (when my foot was injured). I could see the uneasy look on his face when I said that because he knows that if I say he's wearing them he IS going to wear them. However, I think he's old enough now that I'll just let him learn the hard way.

Kids always got bullied.

That's why I used quotes. It's nothing that hasn't been happening since the beginning of time, but now they're all so sensitive and get their feelings hurt so easily the result is very different than it used to be.

My defenseman son wears Mako's and he is 13 so the shots are starting to get hard enough to hurt. I mentioned to him that he might have to switch out of the Mako's when shots start making it to him that are hard enough to hurt. He said "no way!" but I know that's just because he has yet to feel a really hard shot to the foot in any skate much less a Mako. Anyway, I said to him that we could get skate fenders if he didn't want to switch. He has seen me wear them on my Makos (all the time) and on my VHs (when my foot was injured). I could see the uneasy look on his face when I said that because he knows that if I say he's wearing them he IS going to wear them. However, I think he's old enough now that I'll just let him learn the hard way.

Well, the shots are already hard enough to hurt at 10 in the wrong spots. A AAA kid dropped him like a sack of potatoes in a 3v3 tournament with a slapshot that hit him on the hip and missed the pads. It hasn't happened on the foot yet, but the time will come............. I wouldn't be surprised if he started taking some that hurt on the foot this year.

If I recall, isn't your son the one that "over pronates" and he's in Makos? Do you get the blade aligned? or has he grown out of it?

I know this thread is winding down, but I'll ask for some advice here, anyway (sorry if I'm a bit long-winded, but trying to paint the whole picture to anyone who wants to help):

I'm pretty well sold on getting a new pair of Mako 2's to replace my RBZ 100's that I got almost two years ago.

I went to a hockey shop in Phoenix and tried on some M8's because they didn't have the Mako 2's in my size. Had the salesperson size my foot, and he told me to try the 8D first. After some initial difficulty, got my left foot into the boot. It wrapped amazing, as is well known, and I was already impressed. Then I tried putting on the right boot, and had a lot more difficulty. Once I did get my right foot in, the boot felt super tight, to the point of pain on the outside 3 toes. I had the salesperson grab a pair of 8.5D M8's. Obviously, had no trouble getting both feet into the boots. It was then that I noticed that even though the right foot fit way tighter in the 8D, I also had a little discomfort of the left foot in the 8D boot. Left the 8.5D boots on for a bit, jogged around the skate fitting area for a few minutes, and thought everything felt great. (As an aside, I then tried on some Ribcore 50K's and laughed at how much negative space was in those things. So again, I'm pretty well sold on Mako's being my next skate.)

Here's where my request for advice comes in. I want to get the best fit possible if I'm going to drop >$800 on a another new pair of skates plus extra steel, etc. Do any of you who are familiar with the Mako 2's think that I should go for the 8D, even though they are a little to a lot tight, with the idea that they will loosen up quite a bit after a bake? Or should I play it safe and go with the 8.5D? My RBZ 100's are size 7.5D, and they fit great now, although it took me a lot of work to get them to where I liked them, including adding Powerfeet inserts to the toe cap and modifying my foot beds slightly to give me a little more arch support.

Of course, I'm aware that Easton is offering a 30-day try out period, but I'd rather not have to go through that hassle, if at all possible.

Any comments that anybody has on my predicament would be greatly appreciated!

Well, the shots are already hard enough to hurt at 10 in the wrong spots. A AAA kid dropped him like a sack of potatoes in a 3v3 tournament with a slapshot that hit him on the hip and missed the pads. It hasn't happened on the foot yet, but the time will come............. I wouldn't be surprised if he started taking some that hurt on the foot this year.

If I recall, isn't your son the one that "over pronates" and he's in Makos? Do you get the blade aligned? or has he grown out of it?

He has grown out of it (at least in his skating stride) for the most part. He is pretty strong so that probably helps a lot. To be honest I think the Mako's probably lessen the over pronation. They fit so snuggly that I think they support better than his U+CLs, EQ-50s and RS's did. I think he was never able to tie those ski boot like skates tight enough to get good enough wrap to give good support. I would consider getting him VHs if he wasn't out growing skates so fast. I swear i can see him get taller week by week. He is around 5'9" now and he is supposed to end up around 6'4". VHs will probably be out of the question until he is 18 or so, at which time I hope he is buying his own skates!

Iskander - did you undo some laces to slide your foot to the front to see how much space had behind your heel to help assess proper length? That 8D will open up very well once baked. There are people that have worn an E in other brands and the D in Makos worked fine.

Iskander - did you undo some laces to slide your foot to the front to see how much space had behind your heel to help assess proper length? That 8D will open up very well once baked. There are people that have worn an E in other brands and the D in Makos worked fine.

Including me.

Agreed, I was in a Supreme E and wear a Mako D.

Also, you MUST try them on after baking or there is no relationship to how they will fit after baking. I couldn't get my foot into the 6.5 D before baking. It was perfect after.

Iskander you truly have no idea how much baking the skates will change their fit. It's pretty disappointing that the sales person could have you try on an unbaked pair of Makos. These skates mold like none other when heated properly. I could not even come close to putting a pair of unbaked Makos on my feet, yet properly baked, they fit better, and are more comfortable than any other skate I have ever used. You absolutely must heat them before making a judgement call on how they fit. The fact that you could even get it on your foot is a good sign. I would say as long as the length was right, you would have no trouble once the skate was properly baked.

You folks rock. Lots of great info.

I went ahead and ordered a pair of 8D Mako 2's. I read through pages and pages of this thread, and from what I saw, I think they'll fit perfect after a good bake. Optimus, your experience was very helpful. I wear anywhere from an 11 to a 10 shoe, depending. So it sounds like your experience with the Mako fitting may be similar to what happens for me.

What helped is that my RBZ's are size 7.5D and my old RBK's are 8.5D, but putting them on last night, I realized they (the RBK's) were probably too big.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll let ya'll know how they work for me!

still lovin my mako 2's, but like others here have started to get a little rubbing in the same area that i got the mako bumps in in my original mako's. Really unfortunate because they were amazing and i thought the problem had been solved with the 2's. Will try a few things to see if i can get it sorted out

The original Mako and the M7s both use the same holder, steel and last. The liner doesn't seem that different based on pictures with the exception of the colour.

The M7 uses fiberglass and thermoplastic resin and the original Mako uses texalium (fiberglass with a coating of aluminum) and thermoplastic resin. The Mako is around 100g lighter than the M7 and I imagine it would be stiffer as high end skates are almost always stiffer than lower models in a similar line. With that said, I haven't personally used or held the M7.

The newer models also have new tongues, insoles and they added more padding around the ankles. Some people did experience "Mako bumps" around the ankles with the original skates and solved this by wearing things like ezfit ankle boots and others had durability issues that were addressed through warranty. I've only had my original Makos since February, but haven't experienced either of these issues.

So with the original Mako you'd get a stiffer, lighter skate than the M7, but it may not be as durable (more likely to have the composite crack). The M7 would be more flexible and a bit heavier, but could potentially be more durable. Both come with a standard 90 day warranty on the boot, but there have been cases mentioned in this thread where Easton helped customers out beyond this window.

Personally, I went with the original Mako because I picked them up for close to $200 and appreciate the extra stiffness and responsiveness because I'm an experienced skater who weighs over 200lbs. I see in the other thread you're a beginner who weighs 170lbs and the price difference isn't as vast for you; so you might be better off with the M7s.

Edited by althoma1