Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

The first Makos had Texalium and resin shells. I thought the carbon fiber replaced the Texalium as part of the fix for the shells ripping at the heel.

Yes, you're right. The silver heels/outsole on the originals is texalium and resin and the Mako 2 is carbon fiber and resin. I've edited my post to reflect this - the basic premise of the original Makos being stiffer and lighter, but possibly less durable than the M7 should still be valid though.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

Would the 1st edition Mako at 320 be a better buy than the Mako M7s at 400?

Don't know much about the M7, but owned 2 pairs of the original Makos, and there were durability issues for me. Neither held up all that well. The Mako 2's have been rock solid for me and I've had them since the first day they went on sale. Hopefully the same can be said for the M7's regarding durability, but I'm a little hesitant to just say get the original Mako skate

Hey guys, I fit pretty well into CCM Jetspeeds D, postbake. I also have accessory navicular. Would a D width in Mako IIs be alright post bake?

Foot measurements: 254mm x 98.4mm / Medium arch. Lengthwise I think I'm around 40.5-41 EU. Width wise, well my ratio seems to be 2.58.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hello again. I got my Mako 2s on Friday, baked them on Saturday, and skated yesterday. I was a little concerned that the 8Ds were too small for my right foot because even after a bake my toes were pretty cramped on the outside. That all disappeared after skating for a few minutes, however. Ya'll were not lying in describing how comfortable these skates are. The only thing that gave me any trouble was the profile. I have been skating on an 8/13 custom radius from No Icing, so the 9' radius on these out the box had me a little uncomfortable. I'm going to order some step steel and have it customized. Should be all I need to utilize these skates to my full potential. Admittedly, that's not all that, but looking forward to some good games in these new beauties.

Thanks for the assistance, and here's to dirty dangles, sick snipes, and sweet cellies!

Hey guys, I fit pretty well into CCM Jetspeeds D, postbake. I also have accessory navicular. Would a D width in Mako IIs be alright post bake?

Foot measurements: 254mm x 98.4mm / Medium arch. Lengthwise I think I'm around 40.5-41 EU. Width wise, well my ratio seems to be 2.58.

Based on the measurements you provided I think you'd be fine in a D Mako if the Mako last fits your foot well. You would likely take a 6.5D Mako - try on a variety of sizes and get them baked if you can before making a decision, but that size is a good starting point for your foot size. Trying on sizes above and below that in both widths makes sense and then when you have it narrowed down to one or two sizes you can ask if the shop will bake both so you can make your final decision.

Edited by althoma1

I was having some cold feet and my right foot was numb after skating the other night with my Mako 2's. I was thinking it was a skate problem cause it doesn't happen to me when I use my Graf 707's. But definitely two different skates there so maybe not fair to compare. I guess I will have to tie them a lot looser and hopefully the problem will go away.

Flip 12, My Mako 2's: CXN holder profiled to 9' radius, default pitch and factory steel. Graf 707's: NT3000 holder, Graf steel and I'm not sure what the profile is as it was done over 15 yrs ago. I have 2 sets of steel so I was switching back and forth over the yrs and didn't get my skates sharpened much until the last 2 yrs, now I sharpen every 5-6 hrs. So the two skates are fairly close in steel profile. I still feel that I can still skate better and I'm more agile with my Grafs. I'm not really sure what the reason is but I guess it's cause I'm so used to Grafs not being a stiff skate cause they are made of leather. The Grafs have such a good range of motion compared to the Makos that it must affect my skating. I can tie the Graf 707's super tight all the way up the skate and still have tons of forward and side to side flex. I should have bought a 2nd pair many yrs ago before they stop making the 707's.

Edited by SpideyDiG

I barely pull my Makos tight until the 3rd last eyelet. The entire top of my foot is only just barely snug.

Optimus, so you never had a problem then with cold feet with your Makos? When my pickup starts in 2 weekends I will try just snug all the way up to see if this fixes things. Thx.

Optimus, so you never had a problem then with cold feet with your Makos? When my pickup starts in 2 weekends I will try just snug all the way up to see if this fixes things. Thx.

Never. I used to with other skates because I had to tie them so tight, but that was more numb than actually cold I guess.

I was having some cold feet and my right foot was numb after skating the other night with my Mako 2's. I was thinking it was a skate problem cause it doesn't happen to me when I use my Graf 707's. But definitely two different skates there so maybe not fair to compare. I guess I will have to tie them a lot looser and hopefully the problem will go away.

Flip 12, My Mako 2's: CXN holder profiled to 9' radius, default pitch and factory steel. Graf 707's: NT3000 holder, Graf steel and I'm not sure what the profile is as it was done over 15 yrs ago. I have 2 sets of steel so I was switching back and forth over the yrs and didn't get my skates sharpened much until the last 2 yrs, now I sharpen every 5-6 hrs. So the two skates are fairly close in steel profile. I still feel that I can still skate better and I'm more agile with my Grafs. I'm not really sure what the reason is but I guess it's cause I'm so used to Grafs not being a stiff skate cause they are made of leather. The Grafs have such a good range of motion compared to the Makos that it must affect my skating. I can tie the Graf 707's super tight all the way up the skate and still have tons of forward and side to side flex. I should have bought a 2nd pair many yrs ago before they stop making the 707's.

I know what you mean about the Grafs in terms of comfort and range of motion, even when lacing tight. Especially with the 707's, you're getting as much range of motion as any skate's going to give. The springiness in Graf's facing or eyelet rows is one of the things I love about their skates. I haven't used Makos, but I did find it tricky to get a similar locked-in but free to move feeling from the MLX boot as I'm used to in my 703's. Eventually I think I got it sorted out.

Edit: duh, forgot the radius thing. If I'm not mistaken, Cobras and Ultras have the same stock steel and are an 11' profile. If you're comfortable turning on that and you go down to a 9', it might be tough to do without the increased glide you'd have on the 11' radius, which could be why it feels like you can't skate as well in Makos as in 707's. I'd put some of the blame for that on the difficulties you're having with the boot itself as well. When I'm in a skate that's higher cut than Graf, I also have to unlace an eyelet. Still, I don't like the compromise this forces from the boot. It just feels incredibly sloppy compared to having a boot that can support all the way up and still allow forward flex and ankle rotation inside and outside.

Edited by flip12

I will have to take my Grafs to the guy who just profiled my daughter's skate and hopefully he can tell me what radius and pitch are on them. Flip I actually think my Grafs are close to a 9' radius as well. I will most likely end up selling my Mako 2's and buy some VH's or maybe custom Grafs if they don't go out of business.

Edited by SpideyDiG

707s were the softest skates that Graf made, the Mako is as close as you are going to get to that feel. If you are getting cold feet in your Makos, there's a good chance that they are tied too tightly. I like to lace outside to inside, so that they hold better, no matter how tightly they are laced.

707s were the softest skates that Graf made, the Mako is as close as you are going to get to that feel. If you are getting cold feet in your Makos, there's a good chance that they are tied too tightly. I like to lace outside to inside, so that they hold better, no matter how tightly they are laced.

Regarding the 707's, could you get the same feel out of a lower price point skate in any brand/line as long as they fit properly?

Neo, I actually tried on the Graf 709 a month ago and actually liked it. It was the one with the new green inner liner like the G9035. I actually thought of maybe going custom and get the 709 boot with new liner and the outside of the G9035 with a flex of 75. It can been done as I seen a pic of it on twitter.

Edited by SpideyDiG

Based on the measurements you provided I think you'd be fine in a D Mako if the Mako last fits your foot well. You would likely take a 6.5D Mako - try on a variety of sizes and get them baked if you can before making a decision, but that size is a good starting point for your foot size. Trying on sizes above and below that in both widths makes sense and then when you have it narrowed down to one or two sizes you can ask if the shop will bake both so you can make your final decision.

I fit pretty well with a few mm of room on CCM Jetspeeds (for reference) which on the box say the length is 25.6mm on their size 6.5 or 40.5 EU. In reality I probably have around 3-4mm more.

For the Easton Makos, their sizing for 40.5 EU is a 7. Are their lengths really that different or what? Very confused about sizing.

What Optimus said - you're in the range of a 6.5 (and likely a D, but again you can't know without trying them on), but could be a 6 or 7 - each skate line has a different last and everyone has different feet. You won't really know until you try them on and even then you won't know for sure until after you've baked them since the Makos are so responsive to heat.

Regarding the 707's, could you get the same feel out of a lower price point skate in any brand/line as long as they fit properly?

No, the 707 was designed with high end materials and to be durable. While you may get that feel temporarily with a lesser quality boot, you will need to be replacing it relatively quickly. Outside of maybe a Mission S400/S500, there hasn't been anything on the market that was remotely similar.

Chadd is right on the 707's being durable. Still wearing mine after 15-20 yrs of use. I don't know exact yr I bought them. Yes they need to be replaced as they are ripped in a few places on the tendon guard but I still wear them cause I skate my best in them. Should have bought 2 new sets of replacement 707's before they stopped making them. Best skate for me and fit my foot perfectly.

Edited by SpideyDiG

I fit pretty well with a few mm of room on CCM Jetspeeds (for reference) which on the box say the length is 25.6mm on their size 6.5 or 40.5 EU. In reality I probably have around 3-4mm more.

For the Easton Makos, their sizing for 40.5 EU is a 7. Are their lengths really that different or what? Very confused about sizing.

------------------

Nilizum:

I wore a pair of CCM RBZ 100s, which were the predecessor of the Jetspeed skates, before I got my Mako 2s...the RBZs were size 7.5D, because for what ever reason, those skates ran small. My Mako 2s are size 8D. They felt too tight on my right foot, even after baking, but were quite comfortable skating in them.

So I would say you're very likely a 7, but I also agree that you probably really just need to try them on.

All:

I have a game tonight and tomorrow night...still haven't gotten new steel profiled yet, but I'll keep reporting my impressions of my Mako 2s. I'm leaning towards getting the Quad profile from No Icing, but I'm waiting to hear back as to whether I should keep the medium forward pitch that I've been using on my RBZs.

Stay tuned.

What Optimus said - you're in the range of a 6.5 (and likely a D, but again you can't know without trying them on), but could be a 6 or 7 - each skate line has a different last and everyone has different feet. You won't really know until you try them on and even then you won't know for sure until after you've baked them since the Makos are so responsive to heat.

Yea I think you're right about that 6.5D. I had someone stick a rod in their size 7D Mako II, and the result was apparently 26.5 cm, which is a bit too long for me. I hope the person didn't measure wrong.

I'm leaning towards getting the Quad profile from No Icing, but I'm waiting to hear back as to whether I should keep the medium forward pitch that I've been using on my RBZs.

Stay tuned.

Quad profile? Sounds like a razor to me.

The Mach 20 must be coming soon.

https://youtu.be/4F7TMlrDXtw

• Like 1

Chadd: Haha...yeah, I'm a sucker for trying new things. Of course, aren't we all trying to gain any little edge we can? I assume most folks posting on a message board called "Mod Squad Hockey" are into trying all different kinds of gear and other innovations in hockey.

Ok, two more games and a practice with the local college club team under my belt wearing the Mako 2s. Got a nice blister on my right foot after skating with the college kids. I think what happened is that I had loosened my laces a little after my game that I had right before the practice, and that allowed my wet foot to get rubbed raw. It's on the inside of my foot, just above the arch. I'm also having three other slight issues: the balls of my feet feeling a lot of pressure, one of my toes on my left foot rubbing the inside of the toe cap (which is funny, since it seemed like I was going to have trouble with the toes on my right foot before I actually skated in them), and an old toe injury flaring up again on my right foot. I'm thinking that a little more arch support will help, so I added some material to the arch area of my footbeds, like I had done with my RBZs. I don't have really high arches, but with the forward pitch of these skates, it seems as though I'm really on my toes a lot, thus having some issues with the front of my foot. Hopefully a different blade profile will help a little there, too.

What are some of you other folks rocking the Mako 2s doing, blade profile-wise? Seems to me that somewhere in this thread there was mention of going will less forward pitch on the blades.

So after cracking the carbon fiber on my first pair of Mako 2's I spent the month of September trying to get use to a pair of Supreme 190's. Despite the fact that I always skates in Supremes prior to the Makos I just couldn't get nearly as comfortable. As such I went ahead and purchased another pair of Mako 2's and baked them yesterday. It feels great to return to this level of comfort and forward pitch. I just hope that this pair proves more durable than the last. Has anyone else cracked the carbon fiber monocoque chassis on a pair of Mako 2's? Hopefully the skate I broke was just a defect.